New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Aberration invasion (IC)

Cassandra pauses for a moment, staring at the tattoo. It is most interesting. Finally, she snaps back to reality, and says, "Oh! My apologies! I'm not usually shy by any means; I was merely lost in thought." She smiles, then continues, "Cassandra Valessi. Pleased to meet you. As Izuka said, we're going to try to help the elder, and, like mom says, 'the more the merrier!'" The half-elf looks almost giddy by this point, and walks turned slightly to see both companions. She gives them both a glance-over, before returning her gaze to the path ahead, humming a bit more softly than before. Her step becomes rhythmic, follower her humming. "Abe, I hope you don't mind my presuming that you're a warrior of some sort? I don't think they'll be able to turn us down at this point," she says, smiling. The day was getting a little brighter.

Just think, Cass... it's not yet noon and you've found two new friends...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Demons_eye, Vexxation, and ToySoldierCPlus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you continue your conversation, you see a man walking towards you. He looks powerfully built, and seems to have an otherworldly air to him, but you can't really make out his appearance that well. It seems somewhat shadowy. Moreso than anything else in the early morning light, at any rate.

mrcarter11: Please read my replies to everyone else, and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    After you order and pay for your meal in the pub, you stroll about the town on your normal daily business. However, you see some people that you haven't really seen, one with 2 scimitars made of sand and a walking staff slung across his back, wearing armor and a shield made of dragonhide, with an odd dragon tattoo on his face. You also see an attractive-looking half-elf, and a warrior dressed in a breastplate, despite it being a peaceful time, and it was the early morning. The breastplate has a crystal embedded into the shoulder. All just standing around, talking in front of a store you swear was never there. It seems to be a game shop, with dice, games of all kinds, as well as some alchemical devices that burst into small showers of sparks. It seems like just the place you need to go to in order to cheer up. However, it had an aura about it that seemed like the town you grew up in, but much more ancient and powerful. You get chills just looking at it, despite it's cheery appearance.

OOC: I'm going to assume that Abe, living in the wild, doesn't take off his armor, and Izuka, being a warrior with no home and memory, wouldn't leave the inn without it. I'm also going to assume Cassandra doesn't bring weapons and armor to work, and there will be a small time lapse after you get your mission for her to go get them.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-09-10 at 05:57 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter walks up to the rather outta place group. "You all seem rather out of place in a town like this. Might I inquire where you are all from and what you are doing here?"
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe starts to size up the man that just arrived very slowly. Though the Raven never said how many comrades he would need Abe thought his felt right. Four people was an even number that could split evenly if needed. Three people seemed to little and five made it seem to much. Abe speaks up after clearing his throat.

"These two seemed to be going to help out the town counsel and I offered my help. I hope I would not be extending my welcome when I ask if you might wish to join us? You look like you can handle yourself for it looks ad if they seek warriors. Bah. My manners leave me again. My name is Abe Colt. Nice to meet you."
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2010-09-10 at 07:53 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Izuka is visibly surprised at Abe's statement about his psicrystal. How did he know you could talk? I haven't the foggiest. I haven't said a word aloud since we arrived here. I've only been speaking to you telepathically. As have I. You were right to be wary of him, even if you do tend toward a certain degree of paranoia. Izuka's attention is drawn away from his mental conversation with the psicrystal by Cassandra introducing herself, as well as by the arrival of a fourth person. He looks the person over for a moment, then focuses on Abe for a moment. A friend, is it? Well, I suppose I'll leave it at that... for now. You could call this crystal the same, I suppose. Izuka references the crystal on his shoulder. I'm not sure how you knew he could speak, but your intuition serves you well. Yes, this is no ordinary crystal. It is a psicrystal. I call him Delta. I call you foolish, giving away so much information about us. Izuka ignores Delta's comment, shifting his focus to include the newcomer as well as Abe. Abe, was it? You can call me Izuka. And as for you, stranger, Izuka says to Carter, I've no problem with you joining our little group, provided Cass is alright with the idea. But it would help to know your name.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-09-10 at 11:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, my curiosity overrode my manners, my name is Carter. As for joining your group, well I think that can be settled quite easily. I am need of companions to travel with and we all seem to be an able bunch."
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #37

"Oh, it's quite alright. I can't imagine any sort of unsavory man would offer so readily to join us," Cassandra replies to Izuka, thumbing the hilt of her sword. "And I certainly hope we prove able companions... I'd really rather not see my healing needed..." She smiles at her comment, then nods toward the newest face, saying, "Cassandra Valessi. Pleasure."

These people are suuuure strange. But that's okay. Strange means interesting. At least today isn't boring.

Relevant OOC directed mostly to DMoD
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cassandra has her sword, as detailed in her finding it in the bar (I engineered a way to arm her ) But she is indeed only wearing a light jacket over a rather silky, flow-y top and some leggings, along with simple shoes. Her whip and armor are at home. Her Healing Belt is either worn, if it is allowed to be a smallish, unremarkable belt in appearance, or home. Everything else that's not in her satchel is at home.

Also, I'd roll a Sense Motive for the lulz, but that seems silly. Cassandra's a tad... naive... at this point, at least...
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2010-09-10 at 11:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Small note directly related to Izuka: Please have all internal thoughts and telepathy in italics, so that other players don't overhear and mistake it for normal chat.

Tell me OOC when you're ready to move on.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

You continue talking all the way to the Council hall. When you get there, it's flanked by 2 armed guards. One of them, a somewhat handsome-looking man in his late teens/early twenties steps forwards and says, You're here for the job, right? After you voice your assent, he begins leading you into the council hall. As I'm sure you know, the town Elder is sick. We's been healthy for the last 80 years, and hasn't shown even the slightest traces of illness until yesterday. Then, he became violently ill. This morning, we sent out messengers who asked people who were willing to brave the mountains to go to the Council hall. What you didn't know was the reason. As you round the corner, he continues. We needed to have adventurers willing to brave the mountains, not only because that place is the most dangerous around, and where only the most powerful here would dare tread, but because that seems to be the source of his illness. He continues to lead you down the maze-like hallways for several more second before he continues. That is to say, whenever he faces the mountains, he suddenly gets worse, and turns away, as if to shield his eyes from it. We believe that the mountain is related to the illness in some way. That's why we asked you to come. He finishes right as you approach a large double door made of intricately carved oak. Inside, you hear the moaning of an old man in pain. Here is the Elder's room. The mayor is with him; he will discuss the terms of your mission with you.

As you enter the room, you notice that it's painted completely white, with some places accented with a gold trim. It's a large room, but it doesn't have an empty feeling to it. A large wooded dresser takes up part of one wall, and a desk the parts opposite. Strange alchemical beakers on oak benches outline the room, and in the corner, away from the two windows, is an old man in a bed. His face is badly wrinkled, with deep creases running down his face. His eyes are marked with years of laughter and joy, but he seems drained and empty now. He still has a head of hair, and a flowing white beard and mustache. He's wearing a white robe with gold trim, similar to the rest of the room, and by his side is a sad looking man in his mid-thirties. He's somewhat plump, and who normally is accompanied by a spring in his step and a smile on his face. Not this time. His face is grave, as if the Elder already had a death sentence prescribed to him. He turns to face you, and you see that his normally boyish, smiling face is empty now, sad and numb. He smiles a bit when he sees you, but it only flickers for a second, and his face is again creased with a frown. The doctor came here yesterday. He said that the Elder wasn't ill at all. No illness, no injuries, no nothing. It just seems like the strength is flowing out of him. Please. The doctor says there is no cure, but it seems like the mountain has some effect on his health. At the very least, there was an old hermit living up in the mountains that might be able to help you. Please, he doesn't have much time. If you find a way to cure him, I'll personally give you 200 gold apiece. Will you help this old man? he asks you, pain written clearly across his face. It's clear that he was crying recently, and his eyes are still bloodshot. You can't help but feel pity for him.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Cassandra falls silent as they approach the elder; her humming ceases and her gait normalizes. She feels cold inside. She gasps to see the Elder's face so somber, so pained. "Of course I'll help... but I can't go it alone..." she says, turning to the others, briefly. "He needs us. We have to try." She looks to the mayor, and asks, "Is there any direction you can give us? Any hint of the hermit's whereabouts?"
    This is your chance... Show mom and everyone that you are a warrior...
    Spoiler
    Show
    On that note, let's see what Cassandra herself knows...
    Knowledge (Bardic): Concerning Hermits... (1d20+3)[18]
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2010-09-11 at 12:22 AM. Reason: LotR reference

11. - Top - End - #41

Hermits- they isolate themselves from society, living by themselves in the wild, doing what they want to do.

Many hermits are spellcasters who have left the distractions of the civilized world behind, in order to fully develop their arts.

The town elder looks gratefully at you. No one has seen him for years, although there are still some rumors of him living in a small cottage about halfway up the mountain. Thank you for agreeing to help him. Thank you so much.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

"Really, it's the least I can do. I've been trying to serve for... well, quite awhile now." She smiles and bows politely. "This is my chance to do something really, truly good and helpful, for once."

And the coin... we'll see how we spend the coin...

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay for basic knowledge of the definition of Hermit!
    Could have been worse... could have gotten "A variety of crab"... hehe
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2010-09-11 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Spoiler

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Every man has his time and place to die but from what you tell us this is not his. I am willing to help out as best as I can but" Abe says "sometimes death does ring his bell in a strange way. Here's hoping the hermit in question is kin to my kind and willing to help."

Abe was not good with dealing with people in soft ways. He tries to chose his words carefully, thinking about them before speaking anymore.

14. - Top - End - #44

The mayor stares at you. Is it normal for one who has been healthy their whole life to suddenly be drained of their strength and vitality, becoming nothing more than a husk, without even a trace of magic, an infection, poison, or wounds? This- he points to the elder, is not natural. Something happened. And it may be just something on the mountain. Please, just check it out. The man sounds unimaginably tired and old. The air about him seems to radiate the same age that the elder shows. He seems sad, lonely... and scared.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"I said I would help to the best of my ability but truth be told not everything in the world is natural. What ever answer we find up their might not be to your liking. I hope we find one that saves the Elders life, and restore balance as it were, but sometimes it just does not happen." Abe says with as much empathy as he could muster. He really did not want the old man to die but he was not going to make promises he could not keep.

16. - Top - End - #46

"I- I think what Abe is trying to say is that we're going to do our best to find the hermit or anything to save the Elder, be it natural or unnatural. But... if it's unnatural, well... Then we place our faith in this hermit, I suppose." She looks at the elder, her face very sympathetic. "I promise you... if there's anything to find, we will search it out. We all want to see you smile again," Cassandra says, feigning a smile as best she can. She puts a hand on Abe's shoulder and should he start to speak in... disheartening terms again, she will squeeze it rather tightly, hoping he gets the message.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I ever say something in character that merits a Social Interaction roll, do nudge me OOC and I'll roll it. I didn't feel like applying a Diplomacy check because, really, their attitude toward Cass isn't terribly important to her right now...
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2010-09-11 at 01:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

The mayor cheers up a bit at Cassandra's kind words. Alright. Thank you. Please... hurry, and try to find something. And... thank you again. The mayor still looks disheartened, but now there was a twinkle in his eye that wasn't there before. A twinkle of hope in the previously empty void of his eyes, the void that was the gateway to the soul. You know that you did the right thing, and that you brought a broken man hope.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Izuka looks at the frail form of the elder on the bed, the mayor sitting beside him, and then at his companions. Seeing the elder's and mayor's need, and sensing his companions' resolve, Izuka speaks up. Well then, I'd say that settles it. We go to the Council Hall. I do have two questions before we leave, however. First, is it far, and can you provide us with horses if it is? Second, where exactly in the mountains is the hermit's house supposed to be? I don't like the idea of getting lost in there.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-09-11 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I got confused

19. - Top - End - #49

(You're in the Council Hall right now, and you're going up into the mountains to see a hermit and look around.)

The mayor shakes his head. We can't get you horses. We can only assign them to a mission that's sponsored by the Council. The doctor said that he's incurable, so the council won't back you. I'm paying out of my own pocket for this. I can't get you horses. You should be able to get to the hermit's house in a day or two if you hurry. Please do. The elder doesn't have much time left. As he speaks, the elder has another coughing fit. Please hurry.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Izuka appears somewhat disappointed by the knowledge that there will, in fact, be no horses provided. Very well then. And to my second question, can you give us a map to this hermit's last known location?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So this is the council hall, and the mountain is completely separate... Okay then. I was getting confused.

21. - Top - End - #51

The mayor shakes his head again. No maps of the mountain in recent times are accurate, and none which are accurate have the locations. I cannot provide you with a map. However, there are rumors that the ruin is right next to a creek. There's only one real creek on the mountain, if you go up high enough. That should lead you there.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Izuka shakes his head at the mayor's explanation about the map. So, we're going to a mountain that doesn't have a any recent maps, to seek out a hermit's cottage by a small stream somewhere on the mountain, where said hermit may or may not still be in residence? Did I miss anything? Ah well, I suppose it can't be helped. The elder's sick, the mountain seems to be related, and someone needs to go find out what's up. May as well be us. If there's nothing else, I'd like to get this show on the road. We'll return as soon as we are able. Izuka turns to leave, waiting for his companions to follow.

23. - Top - End - #53

As you leave the Council hall, Cassandra and Carter leave the rest of you to pack up their equipment. After you have all met up at the city gates, you prepare to leave.

The mountain wasn't too far away; just a half-hour's hike. As you approach the mountain, something strikes you as odd. There's too much... activity down here. It seems like half the mountain decided to migrate down the mountain. Life is extraordinarily packed down here; you see entire families of apes, rare sights before, every couple of minutes, with herds of deer and packs of wolves crowding the area. The canopy is a collage of brilliant feathers and bird calls, and the entire area reeks of animal life. As you head up the mountain, some of the animals seem to be somewhat interested in you, but as you progress, they turn away, and continue their daily routine. It seems as if life at the base of the mountain multiplied. And then it all stopped.

Quite suddenly, as you cleared the last bit of the woods, something happens. Life seems... cut off. Bird sounds seem muted, the wildlife in the area seem to disappear; after being crowded on all sides by animals, it feels empty, barren, and cold. You hurry up along the mountain path, and you see a small creek trickling by you down the mountainside.

[[Make spot and listen checks.]]
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Cassandra stands in awe of the wildlife. "How strange," she remarks, slight concern in her voice, as they notice the increased animal activity. "How very queer." She continues, humming a wild tune to mimic the life surrounding her, but stops when they reach the clearing. There was nothing... nothing but the uncomfortable feeling of nothingness...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+4)[19]
    Listen:(1d20+4)[23]

*Gasp* I wonder what she sees!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe was silent at the infusion of life at the bottom of the mountain but mentally studies it. Something is up and anybody can see it he thought to himself. After walking into the silence Abe's entire body tensed. This was unnatural. Silence was the absence of life and with the ambiance noise missing, such as the birds or insects in the background from before, it was proof that something was about to happen. Abe's instincts start to yell at him to run or fight and Abe had never run from a fight yet....

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[19] Spot
    (1d20+9)[19] Listen

26. - Top - End - #56

As the party emerges from the cacophony at the foot of the mountain, Izuka is immediately on edge. Something's not right here. It's too quiet. Why would all of those animals be down there, instead of spread out up here? Any ideas over there? I got nothing. It wouldn't surprise me if there's something waiting to kill us, though. Be on your guard. You're right. Something drove those animals off this mountain, and I'll bet it's related to whatever's making the elder sick. I don't know if it's beast or magic that's doing this, but I'll need you to help keep an eye out for things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (Izuka):(1d20+8)[28] (Delta):(1d20+4)[8]
    Listen (Izuka):(1d20+8)[16] (Delta):(1d20+4)[14]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter felt the oddness in the air. Things seemed off, the kind of off that makes the hair on the back your neck stand on edge. He was concerned, but he seemed to be in good company, so for now at least he wouldn't let it plague his mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20-1)[2]
    Listen:(1d20-1)[2]
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

28. - Top - End - #58

Demons_eye:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see and hear nothing out of the ordinary; wolves pawing at the ground, panting. It's a normal scene for you.

Vexxation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a soft growling noise at the edge of your hearing. You spin around towards the source of the noise, and brace yourself for combat, weapon drawn.

ToySoldierCPlus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You suddenly spot several pairs of glowing yellow eyes, staring at you, before disappearing. You reach for your blade, drawing it out, bracing yourself for an attack.

mrcarter11:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are pondering what brought you into this place, and why the sounds have disappeared. You are completely unaware of everything going on around you, lost in your thoughts.

Everyone:
    As you continue along the path, several great, dark shapes burst from the shadows. Golden orbs light up their face, glaring at you with a savage hunger. The lupine creatures lunge towards you, snarling, and the lead one foaming at the mouth. With great, booming barks, the Alpha wolf leads the pack to attack you.

[[Vexxation and ToySoldierCPlus, you can act in this surprise round. You get 1 standard action. Roll initiative]]

{table]|A-|B-|C-|D-|E-|F-|G-|H-|I-|J-|K-|L-
    1||W||||||||S|
    2|||||W||||S||
    4|||W||||||S||
    5|||||W|||||S|
    6|||||||||S||
    7|||||Cs||I|S|||
    8||||A||||Cr|S||
    9|||F|F||F|F|||S|
    10|F|F|F|F|F|F|F||S||[/table]

F = Forest terrain (rough terrain)
    S = Stream
    A = Abe
    I = Izuka
    Cs = Cassandra
    Cr = mrcarter11
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-09-13 at 10:39 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Initiative: (1d20+2)[12]

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whip-dagger Attack vs Enemy in (5,E).
    Attack: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]

Cassandra reacted to the wolves' appearance faster than most of the group. She reflexively pulled her whip from her shoulder and, in one fluid motion, aimed a slash with it at the nearest snarling beast. [And, skilled though she is, failed miserably]
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2010-09-13 at 10:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spotting the multiple pairs of eyes, Izuka prepares himself for a fight. He drops into an offensive stance, arms raised as if ready to attack. His eyes begin to glow like points of silver flame, and flash of color surges off of him, leaving him slicked over with a thin layer of an odd, shimmery substance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Manifest Precognition, Offensive for 1 pp. Izuka gains a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls for the next three minutes. He now has 6 pp.

Initiative: (1d20+6)[20]

Also, can we use swift actions during the surprise round as well, or do we have to wait until our turn comes up? If we can, Izuka also manifests Claws of the Beast, augmenting to 3 pp, reduced by one to a cost of 2 by his Earth Power feat. He has two claw attacks that deal 1d6 damage, and 4 pp remaining. The claws will last for three hours. If no, he will do this on his turn.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-09-13 at 11:40 PM.