New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aberration invasion (IC)

Very well then. Coming Cass? Izuka turns from the smoldering corpses and begins to head out.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

As you all head out further up the mountain, it seems to get stranger and stranger. The air becomes cooler and thinner, and a slight mist covers the mountains. The outlines of the natural world seem to... fade away a bit; trees become less distinct, and more part of the background, blades of grass blending together in an amorphous mass. The eerie silence you heard after leaving the forest has only intensified at this point; up here, there is almost no sound. You can barely hear the gravel crunching beneath your feet, and, unless you really concentrate, you can't even hear your own breath coming out of your mouth. Despite the blowing wind, you can't hear the rustling of the trees or the grass. It's as if the whole world was beginning to bleach and fade away...

After a long march in the profusely odd place, you see a flicker of color in the distance. Unlike the surroundings, it doesn't seem to have faded out. As you approach, you see that it's a log cabin, and judging by the pile of wood and hatchet in back, you think it's inhabited. Although you can't hear anything coming from within the house, there seems to be a warm glow coming from inside, but faint. As you enter a grassy clearing in front of the house, you get a feeling that there's something... watching you.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123

Sensing a presence, Izuka calls for a halt just inside the edge of the silent forest. Everybody, hold up. Something's not right here. He turns his head to the crystal on his shoulder. Delta, scout ahead. Report back what you find. For the first time, the psicrystal speaks audibly, despite lacking vocal cords, lungs, a larynx, or a mouth. Sure thing. I'm better for this any of you likely are, anyway. At this, the psicrystal unwraps its spidery legs form Izuka's armor-strap, and scuttles off down Izuka's armor and out into the grass of the field.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMoD, your call if the sighted ability ignores cover and concealment. It seems like it would, given that areas of darkness and silence (normal and supernatural) have no effect on a psicrystal's ability to see and/or hear things. It doesn't say the Sighted ability is blindsense, but it does seem analogous to the Touchsight power, so... yeah. Either way, I'll make checks for the psicrystal, as well as for Izuka's Hide, Spot and Listen:

Izuka:
    Hide: (1d20-1)[6]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[26]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[11]

Delta:
    Spot: (1d20+4)[8]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[8]
    Move Silently: (1d20+6)[10]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe sighs as the other man calls for a halt and talks with his crystal. After it starts to head out Abe addresses Izuka "Look we are at a mages house correct? Hes not some bumpkin that stays out here for his health. Hes got secrets he wants to keep and likely hes got spells to notice when people are here. Might was well look ahead but stopping every time you think there is trouble will only slow us down."

Noticing that Izuka is trying to slump down in attempts to hide himself Abe does not have the heart to tell him a child that was looking hard enough could find him. Once more Abe sighs and slouches down humoring the fellow in attempts to hide also but in Abes mind what ever was here knew they were here already.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2010-10-13 at 09:35 AM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter continues to stand, he seems unamused with the waiting.. Both members of the group have good points, scouting is almost always best, although if it was a mage's house, they would likely already know we were here.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

6. - Top - End - #126

If he knows we're here, he can announce himself. But I'll give ou a hint, if he doesn't, we want to keep it that way until we have more information. We don't know that this is the house we're looking for, and we won't live long if we go tramping forth with no idea what awaits us ahead. Izuka sighs. Delta, have you found anything yet?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

"If it is him why should he announce himself? This is his land, his house, his secrets, and seems poor manners to expect him to do so. We came to visit him, to cast for his help, and sneaking around his home seems insulting."

Also we left not knowing what we would face. When you take a job like this not knowing is part of it. We are on the clock of a mans life and sending your crystal to scout every time we encounter something new will slow us down. If we need to go underground into a dudgeon like area will you send it out every time we cross a door?."
    Abe says annoyed. Hes not mad at Izuka for his cation but if this was the hermits house sneaking around would be seen ill. Maybe even get them hurt if the mage was paranoid of strangers.

8. - Top - End - #128

Yes, I probably would have Delta scouting ahead of us. It can move under cover of darkness and see with no issues, which is something we can't do. He can also walk on walls and ceilings. Having him move ahead of us underground would just be common sense. Izuka shakes his head. Look, if it's that important to you, then go knock on the door. I just know that I am not stepping beyond the cover of these woods until I can be sure I won't be attacked by more of those wolves, or worse. Izuka looks directly at Abe. Besides, shouldn't you be more concerned about why these woods are drained of color, and why this cabin is the only thing in these woods with any color to it? I know that's part of what's got me on edge right now. It ain't natural, and I don't like it, and I don't trust it. And you don't live long if you don't listen to that little voice in your head that tells you when to fight and when to run away. Right now, that voice is telling me that something is wrong with this place.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"Look you don't agree with me? Fine. But I did not come here to climb a mountain only to stop before we get to the only house we have seen beacuse you think something might be up. The man is a mage and hermit who the hell else would live up here? If it's not him that's in there they might give us directions to his house." Abe says as his temper gets the best of him. "If I am attacked or hurt while doing so, so be it, but with no clear sight of danger I am going."

Abe stands up and starts to head for the house. Izuka's plan was good if this was some sort of inelegance gathering mission. But this was mission to seek the help of a hermit not to hide in his bushes and spy on him. After a few steps out in the open Abe looks back and shakes his head. Izuka was the only one trying to hide. This brought his plan of things not noticing them down even more but the saddest part is a normal wolf would have to be half blind to not see him. That was not even counting the smell of the city the group must have been giving off.

Turning back to the house Abe walks, talking, up to the door and knocks "Hello? Anyone here? We come form the city on a mission to save a mans life."

10. - Top - End - #130

As you knock on the door, it swings inward by itself. Apparently, the door didn't have a lock... or a handle on the inside, as you soon notice. As you step inside, you notice something... weird. There are scuffle marks on the floor, and scorch marks on the walls and furniture. There's a a brownish-red oval on the floor, nearby the fireplace. As you approach, you notice that the fire wasn't producing as much light as you though it did from outside... it's just a mass of embers and soot. Inside, however, you notice that ambient sounds are now more apparent, breaking the spell of outside. It's disturbingly loud in your ears now- although you're taking small breaths, they sound much louder than normal, and it's easy to hear someone else's breath- even from across the room. Yet, you don't hear anyone aside from yourselves... it's like even the rats and mice left, or like the rest of the place is enclosed by silence. And yet, you still get the feeling you're being watched...
    [Make spot and listen checks.]
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe looks around quickly and strains his ear listening. The pain that had build up was annoying to the point if this went on he thought his ear might bleed.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[17] Spot
    (1d20+9)[18] Listen

12. - Top - End - #132

Seeing that Abe was able to cross the field without getting attacked, Izuka rises from his (poor, he notes in retrospect) hiding place, and moves toward the house. Delta, come back. There doesn't seem to be anything out here. You got it, boss. Izuka meets with Delta halfway across the field, scoops up the crystal and replaces it on his shoulder, where it settles as it had been previously. Stay alert, we still don't know who lives here, or if they're dangerous. Isn't that my line to you? Izuka comes to stand slightly behind Abe in the doorway to the house, and peers in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Izuka: Spot: (1d20+8)[23] Listen: (1d20+8)[27]
    Delta: Spot: (1d20+4)[5] Listen: (1d20+4)[19]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter decides his chances are better sticking with the group, so he continues to advance with them. He sits outside the doorway waiting to see what the group finds.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

14. - Top - End - #134

The house seems to be empty, and full of the deafening silence. Izuka sees something shift in the shadow above the rafters, but he can't make out any details. A wind passes through the house, causing some of the floorboards to groan. And then you hear a "THUMP" from the other room...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

I saw something up there. Izuka gestures to the rafters above. I couldn't make out what it was, though. Could easily be a rat, could easily be something much worse. Izuka turns his attention to the door on the far side of the room. I wonder what that thumping was. Against my better judgment, I'll go find out. Izuka steps forward into the room, crosses it warily, his senses on high alert. When he reaches the other door, he carefully opens it just enough to see into the next room, ready to either slam it shut or throw it wide when he sees what's waiting on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot and Listen rolls for Izuka and Delta for the next room:
    Izuka:
    Spot: (1d20+8)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[9]
    Delta:
    Spot: (1d20+4)[15]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[16]
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-10-28 at 08:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

You open the door and see... nothing. The thump obviously did not come from this room. Upon further examination, the room appears to be a dining area. There's a table and a chair, and a small cupboard, and a closed door leading to another room. However, right before there, there seems to be another hallway, branching off to the left of the room. There doesn't appear to be a door there, and with a chill, you realize that it would be an excellent ambush point...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

That doesn't look good for me. Delta, you want to look first? Sure thing, boss. Delta climbs down off of Izuka's shoulder and edges its way into the next room, staying close to the door and wall so as to minimize its profile and hopefully not be noticed. The psicrystal sneaks as close to the hallway as it must to see the far end. Izuka, meanwhile edges back behind the door, and motions for Abe and Carter to be on guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delta's Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and hide rolls:
    S: (1d20+4)[15]
    L: (1d20+4)[13]
    MoS: (1d20+6)[22]
    H: (1d20+2)[9]
    And Izuka's Spot, Listen, and Hide, just for kicks:
    S: (1d20+8)[21]
    L: (1d20+8)[21]
    H: (1d20-1)[16]

18. - Top - End - #138

As delta creeps down the corridor, he begins to see something- a lump of... something. It looks red and rubbery from this distance, but as Delta moves closer, he begins to see it more clearly- it's a corpse. A mangled, disfigured, corpse. Gash wounds, like the marks on the floor in the front hall, cover the body, and the face looks distorted, as if in pain. With a chill, he realizes that this was the hermit- and he's dead.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe stands still as he watches Izuka go through the door. When getting the signal he reforms his sand into gauntlets and slowly heads to him. Not saying a word Abe gives Izuka a questioning glare.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+9)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+9)[16]
    Hide: (1d20+2)[14]
    MS: (1d20+2)[3]

20. - Top - End - #140

Uhh.. boss, you're not gonna like this. I've got a body in here, probably the hermit we're looking for. It looks like something...tried to eat him, almost. He's covered in gashes and claw marks. Great. Delta, can you see what killed him? I haven't seen anything, but I'll bet whatever it is is still here somewhere. You want me to keep looking? Yeah, just be careful. Izuka turns to Abe and whispers, Delta found a body. He says that it's covered in gashes and claw marks. It's probably our missing hermit. We also think that whatever killed him may still be in here. Delta's poking around for now, but I'm wondering if we should just cut our losses before they include one of our lives and get out of here. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    Additional rolls for Delta:
    S: (1d20+4)[11]
    L: (1d20+4)[21]

DMoD: how long has it been since our encounter with the wolves? Izuka's claws only last three hours, and he can't afford to manifest them again today. Which means he'll be fighting with his mace if whatever's in this cabin wants to fight.
    Speaking of which, a) props on creating a very creepy atmosphere, and b) is this a spin-off of "The Color Out of Space?"

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler
    Show
    It has been 2 hours and 30 minutes since you fought the wolves.
    Also, a) Thanks.
    b) ... I never read it, but after looking at the plot summary, it seems really similar... for now, at least.

As delta sneaks around, you don't get the impression that he found anything... and then, silence. Delta, who has been linked to your mind for as long as you remember, suddenly feels... gone. Not a sound, not a hint of anything happening. Just blankness. You can't really describe it- it's like someone took away part of your mind that you never really noticed before, and now... there was a blankness there. Huge, gaping emptiness. For a second, you get a small mental missive- he- help!, and you get the impression of a shadowy figure- right before the link breaks again. Delta's gone. And you feel alone.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Delta?! DELTA!! When Izuka gets no response form the psicrystal, he becomes momentarily afraid, but then his resolve hardens. Abe, Carter, something's happened to Delta. I'm going to try to find him and the hermit's body. And I'll kill whatever's back there with my bear hands if Delta's been hurt. Izuka's eyes glint dangerously, hinting at an unspeakable fury lurking just beneath the surface, a terrifying strength born of rage and hatred, straining to break free. He turns to charge through the door. I just need to get his body back...
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-11-01 at 10:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143

You charge through it and find... nothing. The room is exactly as delta described it. There's a small closet, a couple of scratch marks on the floor, a table- but no body on the floor. And no Delta, nor evidence of anything that may have took him. [[Make a spot check.]]
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Dammit, where did he go? And what took him, the body, and left those marks? I have a bad feeling about this... Izuka stays low and guarded, his eyes rapidly sweeping the room, including the ceiling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Especially the ceiling, in fact. Spot: (1d20+6)[26]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe comes running in after him trying to keep alert and defensive. The tattoo that was once another tribal band switches to a dragon that starts to rom his body "What do you mean hes gone? Look I know hes your friend but you were the one just talking about not going in with out information. You can't save your friend if you die so please don't just run off."

Spoiler
    Show

MY spot if needed
    (1d20+9)[16]

26. - Top - End - #146

As Izuka scans the ceiling, he spots a shadowy figure slipping over the wall into another room. As it passes, you see it's skin being distorted and crawling, as if creatures were living inside it. But then, it disappears into the next room, merging into the shadows as it does so.
    [[If you have it, you may make a knowledge(dungeoneering) check.]]
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-11-01 at 03:00 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

Spoiler
    Show
    I happen to have that one! Know: (1d20+3)[4]

As Abe runs in shouting for him to calm himself, Izuka breathes and takes a moment to focus. You're right. I need to keep my head. Whatever's in here is definitely dangerou-- THERE! Izuka shouts as he spots the shadowy beast, pointing at the spot where it was with a claw. It went that way! We have to go after it! After this, Izuka moves to the door leading into the room where the creature went. He ducks inside, sweeping the room for his target.
    Last edited by ToySoldierCPlus; 2010-12-06 at 07:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the inactivity, a lot of stuff has happened recently in RL, and while I'll try my hardest to update all my games at least twice.. Hope this isn't a major issue guys Anyways, I'm on currently so time to post.

Carter who hadn't followed them into the room, now hearing commotion of them seeing whatever had killed the hermit decided to to follow up to the door Izuka ran through and begins looking at the walls for signs of a struggle. Then he starts to try and follow the creature in the direction that Izuka pointed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot check: (1d20-1)[5]
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Following carter in a run Abe stays on guard best he can.

30. - Top - End - #150

You dash back out into the hall, and try to enter the room that the creature left into... but it's locked. When you slam into the normal wooden door at full speed, it doesn't budge. From the other side, you hear weird aquatic-sounding burbles, indescribable and horrific. You jiggle the lock, but to no avail... and then you hear an inhuman-sounding scream.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show