New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Elthan's warning stops Thokk just before he climbs up onto the dais. Instead, Thokk turns back to the armored warrior. With a few quick tugs, he is able to remove the breastplate from the rest of the decrepit armor. As he dusts off the breastplate he gets an excited look in his eyes. He nibbles on a corner, then spits and smiles triumphantly - the breastplate is made of adamantium!

Elthan turns back to the kneeling skeleton and pulls the dagger out of its sternum. As he does so, the skeleton collapses into a pile of dusty bones. Elthan replaces the dagger into the scabbard; it is a perfect fit. Elthan then puts the dagger down and reaches for the two bracers, which slip easily off of the skeleton's wrists.

Fizahn opens the small leather-bound book. It is filled with the same ancient script that appeared on the seal and even in the other barrow. He can not read it, but the format makes it clear that it is some kind of journal or diary.

Linda borrows some silk rope from Elthan (having none of her own). She uses her magic to raise the rope into the air, and she then attempts to attach it to Sethra's corpse. Though she can lift the rope easily enough, actually coordinating the rope in such a way that it loops around the body and ties into a knot proves to be exceedingly difficult.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

Hmm, it is more difficult than I thought. There is, however, another way. Thokk, can you come here please? Remember how traps for horsemen are set with a rope tied to two trees? We are going to do something similar. You'll catch one end and I, or somebody else, will catch the other. Then we will straighten the rope, position it behind the corpse, lower it to the level of the corpse but above the dais and move the rope-and thus the corpse too-away from the dais.
    Unless, of course, someone has a grappling hook.

OOC: Not sure it is clear enough what I suggest doing.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

"Hey! I'm uneducated, could one of you scolarly types come over here and read this book to me?"

*Fizahn holds up the journal/diary/whathaveyou.*

"I think it might be a tiny bit important."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:09 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Halfling in the Playground

Elthan:

"Alright." Elthan goes over to Fizahn and checks out the book.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

5. - Top - End - #515

Elthan looks the book over, but has no more luck deciphering it than Fizahn did. The script resembles Draconic, but the language itself is so old that Elthan can't really understand it. He is, however, able to phonetically sound out the author's name - Ssa ar lok or "Sarloc".

Linda and Thokk manage to "scrape" Sethra's corpse off of the dais with Graevic's rope. His blackened bones and the rod spill off the platform into a jumble of bones.

Meanwhile, Taern and Graevic have turned their attention to the corpse to the right. He is fully suited in chainmail, which seems to have been the source of the magic aura. Like the platemail clad fighter, this adventurer appears unarmed initially. Nearby, however, Taern finds a charred oak stick. It looks like it was once the handle for a warhammer or battle axe, but the head of the weapon is missing.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern stands back from the corpse-looting of the others, shaking her head, and looking worridly about*

I dont know if we should be doing this.... these bodies have lain undisturbed for centuries, their spirits might come back to haunt us.

*Shakes her head*

We should be giving these warriors a proper burial, not looting their corpses. That undead thing's rod, however, would be okay to take.

*Crosses her arms, and sighs again*

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lass, we will worry about that when the time comes to worry. Untill then, lets see what we can get. Afterwords we will give these warriors a proper burial"

OOC: Search Check around the room, to see if there is anything else. I will take the time for a 20 if we have time

8. - Top - End - #518

In the back of the room, Thokk finds the fourth adventurer's body. He appears to have been killed by some kind of blast of energy or fire - an inverse silhouette has been seared into the wall, capturing his last moment alive. His skeleton now lies at the base of the wall. Rotting leather holds his bones together. Only his grey cloak and his fine embroidered gauntlets remain relatively intact. A charred stick is all that remains of his bow, still clenched in his left hand. A quiver lies next to him, the arrows long since turned to ash.

Graevic sympathizes with Taern's moral dilemma, and he is in complete agreement that the remains should be given a decent burial. (Also, like Taern, he refused to partake in any spoils from the looted barrow.) However, he argues that any magic relics found here would be best put to use in the fight against evil rather than buried and lost forever. Graevic points out that these four adventurers died trying to rid the world of a great evil, and no doubt they would smile upon any adventurers who would use their gear for similar purposes.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*gnaws her lip a bit*

I guess you're right, Graevic... I suppose they -would- have wanted us to use their equiptment to continue the fight. But we must give them a proper burial as soon as possible.

10. - Top - End - #520

Fizahn:

"Exactly as I would have said it, a great argument for a great moral dilemma Graevic."

*Fizahn returns to the knapsack and carefully pulls out and examines each flask.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:11 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

11. - Top - End - #521

Fizahn examines the flasks carefully. Liquid still sloshes inside the sealed vessels.

After a careful examination of the room is completed, the list of "items of interest" include:

a journal belonging to someone named Sarloc
    a dagger (in scabbard)
    a pair of wrist bracers (plain metal)
    an adamantium breastplate
    a suit of chainmail
    embroidered gauntlets
    a grey cloak

From Sethra's body, you have recovered:

a ring, engraved with spirals
    a black serpentine rod with garnet eyes

Nothing matching the description of Sethra's famed fire opal (from Elthan's research) is found.

As you gather to look over the special items you have recovered, it occurs to each of you that it might be a good idea to climb up onto the dais.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern takes a quick, curious, glance over the items. Her eyes linger over the chainmail and the ring which came off of the necromancer. She stops staring and gazes off into the distance a moment, then turns and dutifully climbs up onto the dias.*

"If no one else wants the chainmail or that ring, I am sure that some manner of ritual could be worked out with the spirits of the dead adventurers."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lass, that ring came from the Necromancer. It might be a good idea for it to be checked out before you decide to play with it"

*looks at the others*

"Im still getting a hankering something is on that step. Ill step onto it, but incase any creepy crawlies come and get me, tie a rope to my waist so I can be pulled backward if there is an emergency. Or more of those forgin' illusions..."

Second time...

14. - Top - End - #524

Elthan

Elthan goes to the serpentine rod from Sethra's and starts examining it.

OOC: I still have detect magic plus I'm seaching the rod for anything unusual.

15. - Top - End - #525

Fizahn:

"No, Thokk. I should be the one to check out the platform. I have better reactions than you, and am more aware of detail. These endeavors require the proper strategy also, while you would just climb on up there, I think that it is a much better idea to examine the base prior to walking on it's surface. Elthan, would you be so kind as to check if there is magic radiating from the platform itself."

*Fizahn takes 20 on a search check going around the platform and examining the base where it is connected to the floor; if he doesn't find anything suspicious or harmful, he will climb up onto the platform and examine its surface.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:12 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #526

Elthan carefully examines the black rod, noting that it radiates a significant aura of necromancy. The rod is made of kamagong (a dark hardwood) and has been carved in the likeness of a sinuous snake. Its eyes are small red gems (garnets), and its mouth is agape, revealing polished ivory fangs.

While Thokk and Fizahn debate the best way to approach the dais, Taern simply steps up on the platform. As Thokk and Fizahn look at her in horror, she simply shrugs her shoulders and says, "What?"

What she doesn't see, because she is facing her companions, is that behind her against the far wall (opposite the entrance to the chamber), a "doorway" of sorts has opened ...

A 10 ft x 10 ft square has appeared in the rear wall of the chamber. For an instant, the room is filled with light and heat, almost as if a blast furnace has been opened. Taern turns and observes with the rest of the party a portal into another world/dimension of fire and smoke, ash and lava. Through the opening walk 4 small dwarf-sized creatures that appear to be made of molten stone. They leer at the party as the opening behind them vanishes. One seems to ask a question, "Krazzakka?" Even from across the room, each of you can feel the heat radiating from their bodies ...

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*startled, Taern leaps off of the dias*

What in Tymora's good name are -those-?!

*Taern reaches for her axe*

18. - Top - End - #528

Elthan

Seeing the fiery creatures, Elthan let's his spell slip from his mind. He seems relieved to stop concentrating on the spell. After clearing up his ideas from a couple of seconds, he reachs for his crossbow.

OCC: After that he will load it of course, and wait until the fiery creatures move to decide what course of action would be more suitable.

19. - Top - End - #529

Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks at the fiery dwarves and says hello in common, gnome, and draconic, trying to communicate with them.*
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #530

The four small creatures slowly walk toward you. They are about 50 ft away, and the dais is in between you and them (except for Taern who is on the dais, about 40 ft from them).

The "leader" asks again, "Krazzakka? Nik krakkazza?"

They do not appear to be armed or armored. They radiate intense heat, however, and their fingers end in sharp red-black claws. They continue to smile at you.

It occurs to each of you that you probably ought to attack them and kill them as quickly as possible before they kill you.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern frowns a moment, then quickly draws her axe, and lets out a roar, charging the creatures*

"Little thingies! I'll kill you before you kill me! Yaaaaaaaaaaaarg!"

Initiative +1

Charge, Power Attack for 2 points, +6 for 1d12+5 damage

Fortitude Save +5 if applicable.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"NO LASS, DONT ATTACK THEM"

*Thokk tries to stop and tackle her before she can do anything stupid*

"I know what those are. They are Azers, Fire Dwarfs. We used to communicate with them in my old home. They wont attack us if we dont provoke them, I hope. Anybody speak the launguage of the Fire People, Ignan? I dont really remember how to say anything..."

*Yell out to them in Dwarfish, see if they respond. Also try to speak some slow common for them.*

OOC: Can I make a check to see if I can come up with any Ignan?

23. - Top - End - #533

Thokk dives at Taern's feet, attempting to tackle her, but she nimbly avoids him, jumps off the dais, and continues her charge.

As she closes in, Taern feels her eyebrows singed by the heat radiating from the creatures, but without hesitation she swings her greataxe in a graceful yet powerful arc that catches the lead creature right in the neck. The head of Taern's greataxe sinks deeply into the creature, yet it hardly seems to react. Even more alarmingly, the head of Taern's greataxe melts into slag from the contact with this lava-monster.

Graevic shouts out, "Those are no Azers! They must be some kind of fire demons! Kill them, Thokk, before they kill us!"

OOC: Combat details posted in OOC thread.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Crap. And I know Celestial. Demons speak celestial. We could have negotiated :P Will post actions in OOC thread.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"I dont know, lad..."

*Thokk takes out his longbow and gets it ready, but does not train it on the Azers*

26. - Top - End - #536
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

THey're demons! I gotta kill the demons!

Taern disengages, and looks wildly about for something she could use as a weapon.

OOC: Where is the nearest weapon from the remains of the adventurers?

27. - Top - End - #537

Thokk draws back his mighty longbow and fires an arrow straight through the right eye of the creature facing Taern. The arrow immediately combusts and turns to ash, but the damage has been done, and the fiery creature collapses face first onto the stone floor.

Taern scrambles away, throwing away the now useless shaft of her greataxe. She dashes to the pile of recovered items, seeing only two possible weapons - the sheathed dagger and the ebony serpentine rod.

Linda attempts to negotiate in Celestial, but her diplomatic efforts are somewhat hampered by Fizahn and Elthan who both strike the creatures flanking the slain leader. Fizahn shoots one with a crossbow bolt, but the bolt seems to vaporize on contact with the monster without damaging it. Elthan's pair of magic missiles seems to fare better - the creature he hits roars in pain.

The three remaining creatures look at each other and wordlessly begin to advance on your group (standing 50 ft away, behind the dais). As they close in, the intense heat they radiate starts to take on almost a physical presence.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern lookes confusedly between the two weapons, frantically trying to decide on which to use. Finally, her mind clicks, and she reaches out for the bigger one. Turning, she snarls and brandishes the rod on her hand, yelling a war-cry, then thunders toward the nearest fire-dwarf*

Tymora grant me luck! RrrrrrAAAAAARRRRR!!!

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Sorry lads, you are right, those ARNT AZERS. lets keep killing them!"

*Draws back Bow again, and lets fly at another evil deamon*

OOC: How far away are they, and do I reconize them as either devils or demons, due to research on the demons?

30. - Top - End - #540

Thokk isn't sure exactly what plane these creatures are from, but it certainly isn't this one. Demon, devil, or "other"? All he knows is that they don't belong here.

Thokk and Fizahn both step back, reload, and fire again. The creature (#2) ducks and Thokk's arrow flies over its head. Fizahn's aim is true however and his bolt strikes the creature in the chest. Once again, though, the arrow immolates on contact and turns to ash.

Elthan blasts his target (creature #3) with another pair of magtic missiles, and it falls.

Taern charges, leaping across the dais, swinging the rod like a club. Creature #4 intercepts Taern, blocking her frenzied blows with its rock hard forearms. Taern's eyebrows and armor start to smoke from being in such close proximity to the creatures - it is almost like fighting the sun in hand to hand combat. The creatures move to attack her, but their movements are slow and clumsy. She dodges their claws easily, but the intense heat is almost unbearable.

Linda continues to call out in Celestial. Her words have no effect. Suddenly, a stray spark from the melee lands on her, and the hem of her white robe catches fire. She screams as she pats the flames out with her hands.

OOC: There are now two creatures (#2 and #4) standing side-by-side. Taern has engaged both by herself. Thokk, Elthan, Linda, and Fizahn are 20 ft back on the other side of the dais.