New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Thokk

"Right lad, rethink what you are doing. Remember, we all worked and fought together. Try not to do anything stupid

OOC: Diplomacy check, trying to recall comradelyness between him and our lovely party. I sugest the rest of you also make Diplomacy checks

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Graevic looks down at his hands and his scimitar.

"I think I like this body. So young. So strong."

He looks up and almost sneers at your battered, scorched appearances.

"Step aside, fools. It has been a long time since I have killed anyone, but I believe that I still remember how it is done."

His accent is strange and hard to place.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Halfling in the Playground

Elthan:

Elthan looks confused, then amazed. "No, I don't beleive it!" He then goes for his crossbow.

OOC: If the dude doesn't react, Elthan will then load it and go with Thokk and Fizahn.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

4. - Top - End - #574
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Confused and bewildered, Taern takes a slow look around the room before looking back to Graevic*

Who are you going to kill? There's no enemies here. There's only.... us....

*A look of horrified comprehension spreads across her face, then she gives a shaky smile*

This is a joke, right? A silly, funny joke? Right?

Wrong

*Taern shakily gropes for her bow as she achingly stands*

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

"Stupid immortal spirits, always possessing other people! We'll stop you, Sethra is it? Or are you a different spirit? We really don't have a choice Thokk..." *Fizahn points his rapier at Graevic/Sethra/Evil-spirit-possessed-former-companion.* "We have to defeat him..."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:25 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Taern, an Evil Spirit is trying to take hold of Galvic. The only way we can free Galvic is make enough holes in his body for the spirit to fall out."

I hope this works

"Galvic, or whoever you are, last chance for you to get out and get lost. Otherwise, you loose whatever hold you have on the material world"

7. - Top - End - #577

Graevic (or whoever seems to be possessing Graevic) laughs.

"Dwarf, would you so hastily draw your friend's blood? If you kill this vessel, I can always find another, but where will your friend Graevic's soul go if this body is destroyed?

"Let me pass. I have no quarrel with any of you. It is Sarloc blood I desire. I vowed to rid the world of his kin, and now you've given me a second chance."

As he speaks, Graevic moves forward slowly until he is standing next to the bones of Sarloc. He places one booted foot on Sarloc's skull.

"He thwarted me once, but he'll not interfere again. I swear to you now on his bones that I shall see the last of his bloodline die by my hands."

8. - Top - End - #578

Fizahn:

"Ummm.... Linda, isn't the necromancer Sethra? I think that the bard is Sarloc..."

*Fizahn looks at Graevic/Sethra/Demon-possessed-former-companion.*

"Why do you want to hunt down all of Sarloc's heirs? How would you even know who was his heir? And we can get you a better body to possess than Graevic's. If that gem is really how you possess people, then it would be easy. We could sell you, the gem, to a noble, and after you're done using all his wealth and power, you could have a pick from anyone in his private army to further your whims... It would be much easier than using Gravic, who's practically unknown and broke."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:27 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Damn-wasn't paying attention :-[

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

An evil spirit?! You guys should have listened to me.

*frowning deeply in concentration, she fumbles in her pack for a torch with green, crackling flames and an ornate plume from some exotic bird*

*Boldly (and foolishly) she steps forward and booms out in authoritative tones of Elvish*

Spirit, I draw you out with this purifying flame! Leave the body of my friend, it is not him you want! Leave him and begone, for this world is not your world. Your defeat is near and.. uhh... uhh...

*thinks for a moment*

Oh! And your doom will follow. Body be cleansed by this flame, and walk free of posession once more!

*With the final words, she crosses the torch and the feather and closes her eyes tightly, obviously waiting for some brilliant magical effect.*

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Whoever you be, I have a certain vendetta against possesors. It is tradition that it is better for those that are possessed to die then to further evil and perverted dreams. But, we do not know who you are. Hence you have the chance to explain or we will simply make sure your gem is not found for a long, long time. Or, even better, we will smash the gem."

*Looks to Fizan*

"He makes a point. Now explain, if you will"

12. - Top - End - #582

Graevic looks amused as Taern performs her exorcism. "Ouch!" he offers, sarcastically.

"A tradition, you say, dwarf? I can see how you might feel that way, but I suspect that Graevic might feel otherwise."

He begins walking toward the exit.

"Oh, and thanks for the offer of help, gnome, but I believe that I will be able to manage just fine without your assistance. In return for the help you have given me so far, I leave you with your small little lives. Farewell!"

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh no you dont, evil spirit. Us Torminsons have more drastic measures for pesky possessors!

OOC: How far away is Graevic?

14. - Top - End - #584

OOC: Your group is gathered near the exit and Graevic is only about 20 ft away, walking slowly towards you.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Readies an action to attack as soon as he steps into my threatened area*

"I would suggest you not go by untill you at least answer some questions, Sethra. At least tell why you must destroy Sarloc's kin, and on a more personal note, what do you know of the denizens of the lower plains?"

OOC: Ready an action, so if he steps into my area I get two free attacks on him, one AoO and one regular for ready. Im going to try and talk to him to stall him, pickpocket or mage hand if you can. I think he is using the magic jar spell.

16. - Top - End - #586

Graevic/Sethra continues to walk slowly toward your group as he speaks ...

He tells a tale of two young boys who grew up in the Unapproachable East. They were friends at first, then rivals, as both demonstrated aptitude in the arcane arts.

Both apprenticed in ancient Thay (not yet the Red Wizard magocracy you know today). Their rivalry might have remained a friendly one had not both of them fallen in love with the same woman.

She chose Sarloc over Sethra, and her fate was sealed. She and two of her children died in an augmented fireball. Sarloc decided that the only way to protect his remaining son was to hunt down Sethra and end things once and for all.

Sarloc almost succeeded. Sarloc's three companions were killed, but Sarloc managed to kill Sethra - or so he thought. At the last minute, Sethra was able to magic jar himself into the hidden Fire Opal. From the gem, he attacked Sarloc's spirit, and Sarloc, weakened from the battle, felt his soul slipping away.

In a final act of defiance, Sarloc plunged his own dagger into his heart, killing himself, thereby depriving Sethra of any body to transfer into.

Sethra's spirit remained trapped in the Fire Opal for centuries. Hatred and a thirst for revenge growing in his disembodied heart. You felt his mental prodding earlier before the battle with the magmin. It was Graevic's body that Sethra successfully possessed.

His tale told, Graevic/Sethra now stands by the doorway, surrounded by your entire party. Thokk blocks his way, and he is flanked by Taern and Elthan on his right and Linda and Fizahn on his left. You are all 10 ft away from him.

He seems remarkably unconcerned that your group forms a circle around him. It occurs to Fizahn that maybe he has you right where he wants you ...

17. - Top - End - #587

Fizahn:

"Scramble! We're easy prey for a fireball!"

*Fizahn breaks rank and heads toward Sethra, baring his rapier.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:27 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

That's a really sad story, but still no reason to posess our friend.

*Taern drops the torch and the feather*

Now like old Rychtin said, "If ye can't will it out, it's yer bound duty te force it out!"

*With those words, Taern leaps on Graevic, attempting to grab his arms and wrestle him to the ground.*

OOC Sethra gets an AoO. If it hits, the process is aborted. (AC 15)

Taern's melee touch attack: +7 (flanking)
    -If that hits, we're (almost) grappling

Opposed grapple checks. Taern: +5

If Taern is not hit by the AoO, hits the touch attack, and wins the opposed grapple check, Sethra takes 1d3+2 nonlethal damage, can only cast spells without a stomatic component with a Concentration check (DC 20+Spell level)

19. - Top - End - #589

With a roar, Taern lunges at Graevic, shooting in and underhooking both of his arms. He struggles, but Taern quickly ducks under his left arm and gets Graevic in a painful "chicken wing" armlock.

Fizahn also closes in, rapier en pointe, but his keen eyes spot something concerning. Graevic is wearing two rings, one made of reddish iron and one made of gold, that he wasn't wearing before descending into the crypt. Fizahn shouts out a warning, but it is too late ...

A dense bluish-black fog oozes outward from Graevic's right hand, quickly engulfing everyone within 20 ft. Not only does the thick fog hamper sight and movement, it burns on contact.

Taern hangs on, her eyes sqeezed shut. Thokk gets a lungful of the gas and coughs uncontrollably. Linda, already weakened by the fight with the magmin, collapses outright.

OOC: We're still in the first round. Thokk gets either a move OR an action. Fizahn and Elthan can act normally. Everyone's move is limited to 5 ft however.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

THokk

"Ach, bad choice Taern! Worse choice Foul Necromancer!"

*Thokk will take a step to the side, and draw his bow*

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

ARRGGH!!

Damn you, spirit! Make it go away or I break your little neck! Make it stop!

*Taern attempts to grab ahold of Graevic's head with one hand and snatch the rings off of his hand with her other hand.*

22. - Top - End - #592

Fizahn:

"LINDA!"

*Fizahn grabs Linda's arm and hoists her over his shoulder, while running as fast as he can out of the fog.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:30 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

23. - Top - End - #593

Linda is too heavy for Fizahn to pick up, so he simply grabs her wrist and drags her out of the fog. Elthan likewise backs out of the thick mist. The fog clings like a thick soup, but they break free, gasping and coughing. Linda, though unconscious, still clutches her staff in her hand, which provides the only illumination in the room. Elthan and Fizahn kneel over Linda protectively and watch the fog closely for any signs of Taern and Thokk ...

Deep in the heart of the mist, Taern grapples desperately with Graevic. She pins him to the ground with his left hand twisted around behind his back. His scimitar clatters away harmlessly from his right hand as he struggles to stand. Taern peels his fingers open and begins to tug at the gold ring. She almost has the ring off ... so close ... so ... close ...

Thokk staggers backward into the entranceway. Moving in the fog feels like wading through molasses, and the acid burns his skin and eyes and sears his lungs. Thokk draws his bow and blocks the exit with his stocky frame. "Over my dead body," he thinks to himself as consciousness slips away ...

24. - Top - End - #594

Elthan resuscitates Linda with a healing potion. Her eyes flutter open, "What happened?" She looks around, "Where are Thokk and Taern?"

Fizahn looks at the dense acid fog. "I ... I don't think they made it ..."

It takes another minute for the fog to disperse. When it does and the doorway becomes visible again, there is no sign of Graevic, Taern, or Thokk.

25. - Top - End - #595

Fizahn:

"We gotta get out of here, I doubt very much that they're still in the crypt!"

*Fizahn starts heading toward the doorway.*

"Once we get out, if we still haven't found them, we can talk to Oden to see if he has anything that can help us find them. If he doesn't, then we'll talk to every single villager to see if they've seen anyone that looks like Taern, Thokk, or Graevic."

OOC: I assume you'll be communicating with McMouse and Sacreddeamon by private post, while we play here, so our actions aren't influenced by what really happened to them, unless they do have to draw up new characters...
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:31 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

I agree we need to leave the crypt-but carefully. I am out of magic spells and we are both badly hurt. Let's go.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

27. - Top - End - #597

Elthan:

"Alright, let's move out then." He grabs his shortspear and moves towards the door.

28. - Top - End - #598

Once the fog has cleared, Linda, Fizahn, and Elthan limp out of the main chamber, back into the long hallway. (They make sure that they've secured the items they had recovered from the skeletons; however, any fancy burials or ceremonies for the ancient corpses will have to wait for another day.)

They cautiously backtrack to the round room at the bottom of the vertical shaft. All is silent, but Linda's staff illuminates the small room revealing two bodies lying face down on the floor. One is Thokk. The other is Taern.

There is no sign of Graevic, and the rope you had used to descend from the surface crypt is nowhere to be found.

29. - Top - End - #599

Elthan:

He runs towards the bodies and checks Thokk and Taern for life signs.

If they don't have any: "Damn you Sethra!!!! I swear that I will hunt you for as long as I live!!!!!"

If they are still alive, he will attempt a heal check or something.

30. - Top - End - #600

Fizahn:

"Are they okay? I kinda left my rope and grappling hook up with my horse... Any suggestions on how we get out of here?"

*Fizahn walks over toward the bodies and blankly stares up the hole.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:33 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.