New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVI: The biggest in-joke in gaming

Did you finish reading the comic?

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a whole lot of leaving people to die there.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So... I don't actually know how to join a specific server. In particular, where do I copy/paste 68.232.183.52:27015?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Poor Annie...

Still, I'd wait for Part 4 before we make all our character judgments. End of the narrative and all.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-09-28 at 06:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Did you finish reading the comic?

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a whole lot of leaving people to die there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The soldiers chose to go back, the doctor just got jumped by what appears to be a hunter and a smoker and they're on a high speed train with at least two tanks behind them.
    Bill's a 'nam vet. He knows when you can't save someone and he knows what has to be done to survive. This is a zombie apocalypse, and Zoey should honestly know better. Doubtless still a bit emotional having realised her dad could have lived.
    If you stopped that train you'd be dead too. I wouldn't have stopped. Not when I could still save the three people I've survived this whole thing with.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    So... I don't actually know how to join a specific server. In particular, where do I copy/paste 68.232.183.52:27015?
    Somewhere such as Join Server > Favourites > Add a Server > Direct IP

or somesuch.
    Within TF2, or in steam's Servers thingy.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, it's pretty clear that there were a ton of infected RIGHT THERE
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you stopped that train you'd be dead too. I wouldn't have stopped. Not when I could still save the three people I've survived this whole thing with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remind me never to be in a zombie apocalypse with you, Jibar. I can assure you that I'd have stopped that train, even if I'd only known that doctor for a short time. If the whole world's gone that much to hell and I, having no real prospect to look forward to, can't risk my life to save someone else, I don't think I'd even bother trying to escape. For me, it would either be go back and at least try to save him, or just give in then and there to the zombies.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #578

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remind me never to be in a zombie apocalypse with you, Jibar. I can assure you that I'd have stopped that train, even if I'd only known that doctor for a short time. If the whole world's gone that much to hell and I, having no real prospect to look forward to, can't risk my life to save someone else, I don't think I'd even bother trying to escape. For me, it would either be go back and at least try to save him, or just give in then and there to the zombies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bill isn't thinking of himself.

He's asking whether it's worth risking Zoey, Louis, and Francis to save one guy.

He's asking whether the dude even CAN be saved; Zoey barely had time to finish saying "SLOW DOWN" before the doc got pounce-smoked.

P.S:
    If there's a zombie apocalypse I'm at one of the world's safest places: A university, where all the zombie experts will be!

[/spoiler]

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a difference between stopping to save someone and running to a corpse. The guy was dead meat, completely. Even in the game itself, I wouldn't dare go towards a hunter/smoker pair, knowing there's a horde too.
    But saving people, just generally? Do it when you can, you need every hand in the zombie apocalypse. But not when you're on a train, the guy's dead and the most important people are all there.
    Last edited by Jibar; 2010-09-28 at 07:13 PM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have to agree with Jibar and Shadow. I constantly get incap'd in L4D2. Why? I refuse to leave someone to die unless they tell me to run, or I _know_ they're going to die. But there was no saving that guy. It's not just an issue of morals, which I wholeheartedly support, but also a consideration of prudence/practicality.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Who else totally thought this smoker had four arms, at first?

Edit: On the Bill morality discussion:

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think he's totally in the right. I mean, he started the train before everyone was on. After Doctor got pounced and smoked, sure, he's gone. But Bill could have prevented that.

Plus, he can't even claim he's completely "leave you behind if you fall behind". He said he'd go back for Francis, Zoey, or Louis. I think this would extend to if they were in the same situation as Doc was -- the so-called lost cause.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-09-28 at 08:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Who else totally thought this smoker had four arms, at first?
    I actually have no idea how you came to that conclusion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

I did think it had four arms at first...you're right!

Since we're talking about silly things here:

Spoiler
    Show
    I see no need for hesitation on Bill's part. Being a man who spent his time in a warzone, he knows the risks of battle and he also knows that letting your emotions get a hold of you in the midst of terrible danger is a bad idea. Emotions tend to get you killed, and in a situation where the enemy has no logic or reasoning, it is unreasonable to judge a man based on emotion. The Doc died which is too bad, but Bill did exactly what he said he'd do: fall back and we'll leave you behind. Also with the two soldiers, they chose to go to the rally point, and on top of that, they're a liability. What happens if one of them should turn into a witch or hunter? Or hell, a tank? Non carriers are nothing but liabilities obviously and should be dealt with as such. Also, in game terms when you get to the final wave and you try to board the escape vehicle, what do you do? leave the player behind who was foolish enough to fall far enough behind to get downed. If they didn't want to die, they should keep up next time.
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

14. - Top - End - #584

Imp

For Bill's thought process, go back to part 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Zoey. Louis. Francis.

You're safe.

All I ever wanted was for you to be safe.

I'd sacrifice another hundred people to keep you safe.

I'd sacrifice myself.

'Course... that don't mean I'll go down easy.

Aw, hell...

Three of 'em. Three goddamn tanks.

Alright. Maybe I'll have a smoke first.

Hold yer horses...

...I'll be with ya in a minute.

My job's done.

*kaff*

Let's see what you got, you big dumb sons of bitches.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I'd do the same as Bill in this situation, especially considering you can't just stop a train and start it right back up like with cars. It'd be suicide.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This is how I think Bill should have acted (and hopefully how I would act in the same situation, but who knows under the stress).

Spoiler
    Show
    And more importantly, there was a man working on a cure, A DOCTOR, no less and Bill started the train before he was on. I honestly cant think of someone more important in this situation than someone whos analysed the virus, has been studying it AND IS AT LEAST SOMEWHAT MEDICALLY TRAINED. Bill is an idiot for not realising that the Doctor was probably the most important person they met.

17. - Top - End - #587

Kobold

This is how I think Bill should have acted (and hopefully how I would act in the same situation, but who knows under the stress).

Spoiler
    Show
    And more importantly, there was a man working on a cure, A DOCTOR, no less and Bill started the train before he was on. I honestly cant think of someone more important in this situation than someone whos analysed the virus, has been studying it AND IS AT LEAST SOMEWHAT MEDICALLY TRAINED. Bill is an idiot for not realising that the Doctor was probably the most important person they met.
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I could tell, the 'cure' was a complete failure and just an excuse to not murder all the carriers

18. - Top - End - #588
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Yeah, I'd do the same as Bill in this situation, especially considering you can't just stop a train and start it right back up like with cars. It'd be suicide.
    ^ This. You can't just peel out in a train. A train going at it's average full speed takes about a mile (that's over 5,000 feet) to slow down and stop. If I had a stampede of bloodthirsty animals with what is essentially rabies trying to kill me, screw it, anyone who can't make it gets left to die. You know who dies? Heroes. Letting your friends down to save random people who aren't skilled at saving your ass is a pretty pointless endeavor to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I could tell, the 'cure' was a complete failure and just an excuse to not murder all the carriers
    Spoiler
    Show
    ^ This. The doctor himself said "There is no cure. This virus mutates the more we analyze it. It sometimes is airborne, sometimes it's transferred through bites. Once they find out that there's no cure, they're going to stop trying to save survivors." It may not be word for word, but it's pretty close. Like I said in my above statement, playing hero does nothing but get you killed, and if you let the people you care about down to save random people who don't know how to fight as well as you, why save them? They become nothing more than liabilities. Life isn't fair, better start getting used to it.
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really sorry you have such a jaded view of life. I'd know I'd be happier with myself as a person dieing to save someone than running away without even trying.

Spoiler
    Show
    I may have missed that cure bit, can't check now though. If so, he's still a freakin' doctor and one who has more knowledge of the infection than anyone else (still alive). Even if its nothing yet, thats gotta count for something.

20. - Top - End - #590

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Self-Sacrifice is one thing. We've seen Bill has no problem with self sacrifice.

You have to remember that all his friends; EVERYONE HE HAS LEFT is on that train.

Personally, I probably would risk my life to save a stranger. Djinn is right about it not being an apocalypse worth living in if we become that jaded. On the other hand, I would not risk my three closest friends to save a complete stranger.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-09-29 at 10:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #591

If you remember the dancing TF2 characters from a while back, well then you'll love this. The guy finished the video and it is a must see.
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

22. - Top - End - #592

Imp

I'm really sorry you have such a jaded view of life. I'd know I'd be happier with myself as a person dieing to save someone than running away without even trying.

Spoiler
    Show
    I may have missed that cure bit, can't check now though. If so, he's still a freakin' doctor and one who has more knowledge of the infection than anyone else (still alive). Even if its nothing yet, thats gotta count for something.
    The thing is, we already know Bill is willing to die to save someone else - he does. He is NOT, however, willing to risk Francis, Louis, or Zoey's lives.

I'm not necessarily saying he was right or wrong, but I understand why he did what he did, and I don't condemn him for it.

The big moral question is, would you endanger your closest friends to save a stranger?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #593

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    If you remember the dancing TF2 characters from a while back, well then you'll love this. The guy finished the video and it is a must see.
    That's fantastamazing. I showed it to people who hate TF2 and they started laughing hysterically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    The thing is, we already know Bill is willing to die to save someone else - he does. He is NOT, however, willing to risk Francis, Louis, or Zoey's lives.

I'm not necessarily saying he was right or wrong, but I understand why he did what he did, and I don't condemn him for it.

The big moral question is, would you endanger your closest friends to save a stranger?
    I personally used to see Bill as a hero - the game does a great job of making us think thats who he is. A hero doesn't leave a man to die, in my opinion, and thus my image of Bill is ruined. I don't like the character any more (and call it development or whatever you wish), hes not Bill to me and unless something very dramatic happens in part 4, he won't be again.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Even ended with YHTBTR music, awesome.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

26. - Top - End - #596

My thoughts on the comic:

MMMMM, delicious US Military issue Peanut Butter! Now with 60% more lead and cordite!

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShortOne View Post
    That's fantastamazing. I showed it to people who hate TF2 and they started laughing hysterically.
    OMG ROFLMAO OMGWTFBBQ!!!11oneone

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

I personally used to see Bill as a hero - the game does a great job of making us think thats who he is. A hero doesn't leave a man to die, in my opinion, and thus my image of Bill is ruined. I don't like the character any more (and call it development or whatever you wish), hes not Bill to me and unless something very dramatic happens in part 4, he won't be again.
    Bill was, and always will be, a soldier. A soldier knows that sometimes casualties are neccessary to save your own people. Bill is extremely remorseful in this scene, he is forced to not stop a train (already mentioned this) in order to save his own people. There were, like, three humans, five hundred common, two tanks, and god knows how many specials running after that train. Bill wasn't happy about it, but stopping that train would have been suicide, and for who? A couple people who couldn't take off their masks for fear of infection and a doctor who couldn't be saved anyway, what with the Hunter and Smoker.

Bill made a tactical decision, he wasn't happy about it, but it was the only thing to do.

29. - Top - End - #599

I saw something about that float by this morning but didn't realize what it was. Thanks for linking to it. It's good to see the finished project.

Good grief. 4 months to do that? So glad I'm not an animator.

30. - Top - End - #600

Soldier's probably the best one there. Hit by demo. Tripped by scout, then had stuff dropped on him by scout. Hits scout with scout's bat. Gonna be back-stabbed real quick by spy.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.