New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Although I HAVE heard some people complaining... the side of the box has a label reading PS3. Then last year they changed the form of the label.

It does stuff for Aesthetics, you know? You can use a collection of books, DVDs or Videogames to decorate a shelf, but if they're all different sizes, it's hardly nice to look at...
    I don't like the colour of the Platinum title games cases. Solid (i.e. completely opaque) grey.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It was released on BD and DVD on the 7th.
    *runs off to amazon*
    damn, i've got to wait till 25th Oct...
    never mind that's a payday!

i hate the adverts that 4OD put on their programs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

Just watched the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Scariest Performances.

I think...I could probably write a pretty frightening character if I tried...and if I didn't get so unnerved whenever I tried to think one up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Although I HAVE heard some people complaining... the side of the box has a label reading PS3. Then last year they changed the form of the label.

It does stuff for Aesthetics, you know? You can use a collection of books, DVDs or Videogames to decorate a shelf, but if they're all different sizes, it's hardly nice to look at...
    That's it! I know their evil plan. There making it so all PS3 owners that have OCD about things matching cannot buy any other games. Those sneaky devils

5. - Top - End - #875
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I don't like the colour of the Platinum title games cases. Solid (i.e. completely opaque) grey.
    I've never seen one of those... Then again, I've prettymuch bought old and used so far. I've only bought White Knight Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII new...

Eh... whatever. They look pretty good like that.

6. - Top - End - #876

I've never seen one of those... Then again, I've prettymuch bought old and used so far. I've only bought White Knight Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII new...

Eh... whatever. They look pretty good like that.
    They look like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ugly.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #877

They look like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Ugly.
    That looks awful. Sure is 1995 around here......

8. - Top - End - #878

That looks awful. Sure is 1995 around here......
    Thankfully, you get a free clear Blu-Ray case with every PSN points card you buy. Makes them look slightly better...

9. - Top - End - #879
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Just watched the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Scariest Performances.

I think...I could probably write a pretty frightening character if I tried...and if I didn't get so unnerved whenever I tried to think one up.
    Don't worry sweetie, 'tis easy. I'll see what I can do right now, quality may be poor due to a slight headache and the fact I'm prolly iust going to eat dinner and then go to bed.

What we want, is a sane woman. Her smile is bright and cheerful, but a little too wide to be warming and completely happy. When she is happy, you feel uncomfortable, and it makes you fidget slightly.
    Her laugh will be a little too quiet, and carry the merest razor's edge of a mania that makes you want to leave. It carries too well, and the shadows seem to flinch when she laughs.
    Her eyes and hair are both brown, the hair's a little wavy and quite long, the eyes dance. But they're both dull, her eyes in particular seem to absorb more light than they reflect, and the world is imperceptibly darker where she looks at it, the film of a veil of grey washing out the vividness of life.

She is, of course, a mother. Her eyes dart around the playground ensuring her beloved twins are safe and happy at all times as she converses with other parents. Pay close attention to those with whom she talks. They will be agitated, their hands will fidget and they too, will glance away to watch over their children.
    Too often.
    Too often.

For this woman is a predator.

She likes to listen. To entice those precious beings with the innocence of a new-born angel to speak and speak their happiness, their comforts, the ioys, sadnesses and trivial and not-so-trivial concerns of youth.
    She will drink it in with a look of attention on her face.
    It is a terrifying thing she does to them. To drain them, quietly and comfortingly of their light and their shadows, making them vacant. They can feel, emote, but always the true emotion is sat iust outside their understanding.
    A vessel in which anything can be poured.

She prepares. For what? For whom? Why?
    Does it matter?
    She prepares.
    Often, these young ones die. Or they fail. Their bright and shining goals have been put out, and now there is nothing, not a desire or a fear.
    Often, these young ones kill. Or do worse. Their dark and forbidding bars have been taken away, and now there is nothing to hold back the wrongs and deny them passage into the soul and body of the young one.

All I know, all we know, is that once she hears their words, and it gets worse the longer and more often she is spoken to, go away.

And she prepares.

And so from her the light and shadows flinch, and humankind knows something is wrong.

And while you are here, hearing my words, you are not paying attention to your beloved child.
    She is listening now.
    I am sorry.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-10-13 at 12:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #880

ION: It isn't possible to have an ION in RB when you haven't had any previous N...

IOON: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyoA4LXQco4

IOOON: RB needs more Os.

11. - Top - End - #881

ION: It isn't possible to have an ION in RB when you haven't had any previous N...

IOON: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyoA4LXQco4

IOOON: RB needs more Os.
    Of course you can hve an ION when you personally haven't had any N. RB always has N going on, so any time someone makes a post about something that wasn't active in RB in the last . . . say five pages or so, or makes one without quoting another post they're making an ION.

There's also IRN - In related news.

ION:
    Out of paracetamol. Time to go blag off Lawyer Friend. And dinner.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #882

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Of course you can hve an ION when you personally haven't had any N. RB always has N going on, so any time someone makes a post about something that wasn't active in RB in the last . . . say five pages or so, or makes one without quoting another post they're making an ION.

There's also IRN - In related news.

ION:
    Out of paracetamol. Time to go blag off Lawyer Friend. And dinner.
    Nope, RB is all about allowing people to talk about their current N, no N is assumed from previous posts. You have to present N in your post to be able to also present ON.

13. - Top - End - #883

Don't worry sweetie, 'tis easy. I'll see what I can do right now, quality may be poor due to a slight headache and the fact I'm prolly iust going to eat dinner and then go to bed.

*snipped scariness*

But nicely written. Kind of a cross between the Beldam and a Velvet.
    Is it surprising my immediate points of comparison for a scary character were both created by Neil Gaiman?
    Probably not.

Edit: @^: No, I agree with Koorly. If you say something unrelated to what is currently being discussed, that can be classified as an ION, though it does not have to be denoted as such.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-10-13 at 01:08 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #884

Nope, RB is all about allowing people to talk about their current topic, no N is assumed from previous posts. You have to present N in your post to be able to also present ON.
    I don't think so, you could be leaping in with a point to make about someone else's N, and so would make a post about your opinion. Your opinion is now N.

So if you decide to ignore the current topic of RB, you're presenting new N to the thread, making it ION to the current topic(s) of RB.

We are getting a little meta on this though, discussing the useages of IONs on a thread in an internet forum. And here I thought I could avoid this after first year.
    Oh well. Still fun.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post

But nicely written. Kind of a cross between the Beldam and a Velvet.
    Is it surprising my immediate points of comparison for a scary character were both created by Neil Gaiman?
    Probably not.
    I should consider it a compliment.

I don't think it was all that good to be honest, I'm feeling queasy. Stupid University Sickness. Should have got it last week. Guess it's because the temperature plummetted Sunday.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-10-13 at 01:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #885

I don't think so, you could be leaping in with a point to make about someone else's N, and so would make a post about your opinion. Your opinion is now N.

So if you decide to ignore the current topic of RB, you're presenting new N to the thread, making it ION to the current topic(s) of RB.
    There are two pain points that you need to remember:
    1) In RB, you have to specify (explicitly or implicitly) that your N of discussion is related to someone else's N, otherwise it is assumed that your N is new.
    2) There is no RB N, as RB is designed specifically not to be about any N, but rather, is for all N.

Therefore, you have to specify some N in your post in order to have ON, otherwise your ON is your N, not your ON.

16. - Top - End - #886

There are two pain points that you need to remember:
    1) In RB, you have to specify that your N of discussion is related to someone else's N, otherwise it is assumed that your N is new.
    2) There is no RB N, as RB is designed specifically not to be about any N, but rather, is for all N.

Therefore, you have to specify some N in your post in order to have ON, otherwise your ON is your N, not ON.
    (Oh yeah, I'm getting flashbacks . . . )

But we agree that RB is a recipient of many kinds of N. If we accept that the this meta-N (or all-ecompassing N) exists as separate from the many kinds of N contained within, it is possible to have N while at the same time having ION within it.

While I do allow that it is the explicit use of ION that draw attention to new N, it isn't always necessary, even though many new N many be brought up in a single post.

I also agree with point 2), that one person's specific ON is a person's N unless they mention another N, said poster's N is ON to other readers.

RB is all N.
    An individual poster can have ON and N in one post.
    A poster doesn't need to post ON to bring attention to ON. However, to post any kind of N which is not related to the current N of RB is to make it ON to the readers of the thread at this point in time.
    Therefore, all off-topic N is ON, regardless of being mentioned as N or ON.

RB has three forms of N.
    RB as all N.
    The flow of RB has several Ns going on at once, so to disrupt the flow by introducing a new N is to make ON.
    A poster can post N, N and ON, or ON. However, for it to be ON is to make it ON on the flow's level even if it isn's considered so on the individual's level.

(I'm twisting my brain into logic knots over N! Did I even make sense?)

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

*Snippet of scaryness
    But we already KNOW that you can do it, Koorly. It's practically your domain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

18. - Top - End - #888

It has been previously established that RB has no topic and that it is impossible to be off-topic.

I agree that a post can contain N, or, N and ON. But I disagree that a post in RB can contain solely ON.

I also agree that this can be stated (with an acronym or or otherwise) or not stated.

However, as previously mentioned, RB has no topic, no established N. All posts in RB must first establish the N that they are discussing before they can present any ON, otherwise, the "ON" they are presenting is merely the "N", regardless of any recent Ns being discussed by other posters.

19. - Top - End - #889

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    But we already KNOW that you can do it, Koorly. It's practically your domain.
    Only part of it. Her domain is writing anything, scary or otherwise.

However, as previously mentioned, RB has no topic, no established N. All posts in RB must first establish the N that they are discussing before they can present any ON, otherwise, the "ON" they are presenting is merely the "N", regardless of any recent Ns being discussed by other posters.
    RB in general has no rigidly defined N, however at any given point there is a current N, to whit, what we are talking about at that point. An established subiect of conversation within the many and varied N which make up the whole of RB. There may, indeed, be multiple different current N (e.g. In this case, Koorli's scary writing and N vs. ON are both within the domain of established, current N). Anything outside that domain represents a change of domain - it is ON. If picked up by another poster, it then becomes part of the established current N.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #890

I took me ages to figure out what ION means. Proudest achievement ever is to have figured it out two days ago without asking anyone.

ION: My dad got me a digital Camera. No more suffering with film for Photography class.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

They look like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ugly.
    Wha... but... wait, what? Who got the idea that yellow and metallic gray ever make a good match? Things like this makes me wonder how much the person who designed this had to pay to bribe his way through design school.

*snipped scariness... I suppose...*
    I don't really know if I find this especially scary, but that might be because listening to non-scary music takes away the effect... It might also be because my willing suspension of disbelief is drastically lowered when confronted with scariness, and it only takes a minor plothole or nonsensicallity to break it (I think it's a defensive mechanism).

All I know, all we know, is that once she hears their words, and it gets worse the longer and more often she is spoken to, go away.
    This, for example. I just can't make sense of it.

And while you are here, hearing my words, you are not paying attention to your beloved child.
    She is listening now.
    I am sorry.
    And this. Wasn't it established that she made parents pay too much attention to their beloved children?

*shrugs* I guess I'm just sensitive to these sort of things...

And for the N/ON debate, I think I'll go with Rawhide. ONs should not just be unrelated to what others are talking about, but also what you're talking about yourself. Since every new post is here is per definition a new topic unless you specify otherwise (if so just by responding to what someone else said), you haven't actually talked about anything to which you can say something unrelated. You have to say something first.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-10-13 at 03:13 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Garr. Arrogant McBlueShirt was at fencing today. He seemed to think that shoddy (shoddy? eh) impatience and error in his technique and not having fenced the weapon we weren't actually training with for a year gave him the right to give inaccurate criticism and just wave hands in people's faces when they tried to comment on his sword work...

"Oh, but I've been fencing for a few years now."

I really hope he doesn't act that way with coaches, because regardless of what sport you play, arrogance like that will hamper progression. It's that simple. ( :( And I hate my own arrogance... I think I've managed to eradicate most of it, but only in sport contexts. But then... People don't call me arrogant? But I always see it looking at myself. :smallsigh:)
    Last edited by randman22222; 2010-10-13 at 03:24 PM.
    This avatar by Phase.

23. - Top - End - #893

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    ( :( And I hate my own arrogance... I think I've managed to eradicate most of it, but only in sport contexts. But then... People don't call me arrogant? But I always see it looking at myself. :smallsigh:)
    Do you want them to?

I could call you that if you asked me to, but I wouldn't mean it. Maybe they don't think you are, which means you aren't?

24. - Top - End - #894

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    This, for example. I just can't make sense of it.
    Missed that one. I think there may be some words missing.

And this. Wasn't it established that she made parents pay too much attention to their beloved children?
    It was established she makes them worry about their children more than normal - not too much because she is a legitimate thing to worry about.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

( :( And I hate my own arrogance... I think I've managed to eradicate most of it, but only in sport contexts. But then... People don't call me arrogant? But I always see it looking at myself. :smallsigh:)
    Well, the problem is, would you call anyone arrogant up front? The knowledge that I wouldn't makes me a bit worried about what other people think about me without saying. Overly good self-confidence cancels it out pretty well, and I don't think about it especially much, but it still bugs me. The knowledge that said self-confidence has boosted my ego as well doesn't really help either. I like myself but I don't want to be seen as arrogant.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    It was established she makes them worry about their children more than normal - not too much because she is a legitimate thing to worry about.
    This is what I was referring to:
    [...]will glance away to watch over their children.
    Too often.
    Too often.
    Yeah, I know it's too often in a 'this isn't how it should be' way, but if I understood that woman character right, she's didn't pose any direct danger to the children, but to their parents, who were watching over their children too much in a 'this isn't how it should be' way.

Yes, I admit that I did some tweaking and paraphrasing to make my point look more stylish, and perhaps I made it a tad more confusing at the same time, but my point was fundamentally that I didn't find the point in the last paragraph to make sense in context with the character.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-10-13 at 03:48 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the problem is, would you call anyone arrogant up front? The knowledge that I wouldn't makes me a bit worried about what other people think about me without saying. Overly good self-confidence cancels it out pretty well, and I don't think about it especially much, but it still bugs me. The knowledge that said self-confidence has boosted my ego as well doesn't really help either. I like myself but I don't want to be seen as arrogant.
    This! This precisely! Hmm. Now the little paradox here looks somewhat silly. Like a silly insecurity.
    This avatar by Phase.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

This! This precisely! Hmm. Now the little paradox here looks somewhat silly. Like a silly insecurity.
    Of course it's silly. And still it has caused tonnes of stress and depression among those who aren't lucky enough to have a boosted self-confidence. Somehow, the silliest of human's problems seem to be the worst, and also the hardest to get rid of at the same time.

Here I would say something about how weird something else is, but, I realised that everything is weird in some way when you think about it too much, so I think I'll settle with saying that instead, or rather, having said that. Whew, look at all the time I spared not writing that twice.

Show

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

I took me ages to figure out what ION means. Proudest achievement ever is to have figured it out two days ago without asking anyone.
    I just figured it out at the beginning of this discussion

And for the first time ever...
    ION: I got my first ticket today. Apparently I did a rolling stop at a stop sign. I guess stopping for a second isn't enough. Damn $230 ticket. It's all a load of bull if you ask me.

29. - Top - End - #899

Yeah, I know it's too often in a 'this isn't how it should be' way, but if I understood that woman character right, she's didn't pose any direct danger to the children, but to their parents, who were watching over their children too much in a 'this isn't how it should be' way.
    Erm, I think you misunderstood.

It is a terrifying thing she does to them. To drain them, quietly and comfortingly of their light and their shadows, making them vacant. They can feel, emote, but always the true emotion is sat iust outside their understanding.
    A vessel in which anything can be poured.

She prepares. For what? For whom? Why?
    Does it matter?
    She prepares.
    Often, these young ones die. Or they fail. Their bright and shining goals have been put out, and now there is nothing, not a desire or a fear.
    Often, these young ones kill. Or do worse. Their dark and forbidding bars have been taken away, and now there is nothing to hold back the wrongs and deny them passage into the soul and body of the young one.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's cool that multiple people have now used ION to distinguish the part of their post that isn't talking about ION.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal