New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Deathwatch - A Prize Most Valuable (IC)

OOC

(Spoilering to make things easier to read)

Then:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Months. It had been months since you boarded the black painted thunderhawks of Deathwatch which had in turn ferried you to frigates of great speed and subtlety. You had spent a short time aboard these ships, it's crew of oath-sworn serfs and servitors respectful to you, however silent to any and all questions of time and locations passed. Occasionally you sparred or drilled with the handful of Deathwatch Marines on board, some of which had been from your chapter, however they too remained silent for the most part. Despite not seeing the great Jericho-Maw Warp Gate, you were alerted to it's presence by klaxons and vox alerts and the sudden feeling of being suddenly somewhere else across the galaxy. Despite your training and hardened resolve, it is still somewhat unsettling, especially without the aid of the ship's Gellar Field. The klaxons and vox alerts continue for a short time, signalling the ship's transit through the Well of Night: the deadly area of space in which no ship save for the cruiser class warship of the Adeptus Mechanicus, used as a relay point for passing ships, should tarry for too long. Some time after the klaxons had died down and the ship returned to normal duties, you hear an announcement that you have reached Watch Fortress Erioch: the grand space bastion that serves as Deathwatch's headquarters, it's exact location only known to a few dozen navigators and trusted captains.

Disembarking from the ship is the final reminder that you have left your old life in your old chapter behind; perhaps temporarily, perhaps permanently. Other recruits from various Chapters disembark with you and you are led to a small assembly area next to the void dock. You steel yourself as a large Deathwatch Marine approaches you moments after you have all been accounted for. An Ultramarines emblem engraved on his right shoulder pauldron, the rest of his armor black and his left arm silver incorporated with the Deathwatch emblem; signifying his membership to Deathwatch. His voice is booming and his face shows years of battle scars and faded memories.

"I am Watch Captain Ticanus. I have been assigned to oversee your training into Deathwatch. It is I who forwarded your names for recruitment to the Watch Commanders, if not your Chapter Masters. Leave your past behind, but do not forget it! For you past has shaped you into the warrior you are today. Some of you may not survive the challenges of training. Some of you may not survive long enough to return to your Chapters. But rest assured Brothers, should you fall, your gene-seed shall live on and be sent back to your Chapter so that more warriors may rise from your remains. You were summoned here for your exceptional faith, skill and physical abilities, however you are but neophytes to me. It is my hope that through your training we will forge you into something far greater. It is my hope that through your training you will become an even greater force against the enemies of Man. It is my hope that through your training you will be reborn... Deathwatch." The Watch Captain let's those words hang in the air for a moment. "Gather what possessions you have, serfs will show you all to your quarters. You will then be assembled in Training Hall B to begin your training. Welcome to Deathwatch Brothers."

After being led away and shown your quarters, which is nothing more than a small room with a raised stone platform for a bed and housings for weapons, armor and keepsakes, you and the rest of the recruits, which had also been housed next to you, made your way to Training Hall B.

What you experienced during training is best left untold. What you thought were ardous trials beforehand to merely join the Adeptus Astartes were trivial compared to the trials of Deathwatch training. Long weeks you were forced to study countless varients of Xenos without sleep or sustinance. Live combat simulations were you had nothing but a combat knife to battle some deadly Death world creature. Countless days you spent drilling with your fellow recruits in countless combat situations. Not all of your fellow recruits survived and their loss was mourned, only to be replaced with a burning determination to survive where others failed. All of these storms were weathered against you and yet you emerged triumphant. It was a day of great pride for you and the other recruits who survived training to have your armor painted black, the Deathwatch emblem engraved on your left shoulder pauldron, and to be welcomed into the ranks of Deathwatch by your Watch Captain. The final part of your induction into the ranks of Deathwatch was done solely by yourself, as you were brought before the giant adamantine plated doors of the Omega Vault and took the Oath of Vigil. In quiet contemplation upon completion of the Oath, you wondered what lies beyond these sealed vaults, what mysteries they contain and whether or not those mysteries should ever be revealed. You then left the Vault to meditate on your Oath.

Now:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are all currently eating beside one another in one of Erioch's many refectories. As is tradition, Deathwatch marines of the same rank often eat and drink together, today is no exception. You sit beside the fellow members of your kill-team, which you were quickly assigned to upon completing your Deathwatch Training. Since then you have drilled with them and developed a strong bond of brotherhood of each of them, despite possible rivalries between your Chapters of origin. Some of you have shared stories of your past deeds with your kill-team and others have chosen to remain silent. The food and drink sitting in front of you on the simple iron table is much like everything else you have come to expect from Erioch: minimal, yet adequate for a Deathwatch Marine. You are about halfway through today's meal when a call goes out over the vox system:

'Kill-team Beta Gamma Secundus report to Briefing Theatre C immediately. All members of kill-team Beta Gamma Secundus report to Briefing Theatre C immediately.'

The message repeats itself once, then ceases. Kill-team Beta Gamma Secundus is your kill-team's designation and you respond almost automatically every time you hear it called. You and your brothers quickly finish your meal and make haste to Briefing Theatre C, cleaning servitors taking your plates and cleaning the iron table by the time you leave the refectory. You arrive at Briefing Theatre C, some of you more than eager to begin your first mission, having spent all your time in the Jericho Reach training and studying Xenos and other foul creatures. Watch Captain Ticanus stands at the back of the small Theatre and nods to you as assemble inside in front of him.

"Welcome Brothers. Today is the day you will be given your first mission as part of Deathwatch. Do your duty, remember your training and have faith in the Emperor and you will prevail. But, on to the briefing!"

Ticanus presses a button on a cognitor beside him and a hololith image is projected in front of you. The image itself is that of a planet. Looking closely enough you can make out the tiny specs of ships, both intact and some broken and smashed into hulks of debris. The ships, as far as you can tell, are of Imperial and of the design of Chaos. Brother Weylin instantly recognises the planet as Khazant.

"This is the planet Khazant. A war world located in the Cellebos Warzone. As you may or may not know, the planet, and indeed much of the sector, is contested by the Imperial forces of the Acheros Salient and the forces of Chaos. Up until recently, the planet was under Imperial control; the details of which I will reveal in a moment. Having reclaimed the planet, Imperial forces discovered an excavation site used by forces of Chaos. Within that excavation site they found an artefact of unknown design and immediately contacted their superiors for orders on what to do with the artefact. The issue then became known with the Inquisition who dispatched an Inquisitor and their cadre to Khazant to examine the artefact and extract it if deemed necessary. The last report from the Inquisitor suggests the artefact is of the same design and craftsmanship as the Jericho-Maw Warp Gate." Ticanus let's those words sink in before continuing. "However, before the Inquisitor, their cadre and the artefact could be extracted, the sector came under heavy attack from the forces of Chaos and all contact with Khazant was lost." Ticanus presses another button and the area around the planet begins to fill with hulks of both Imperial and Chaos design with a large number of intact Chaos ships in orbit. "The Inquisitor of the Chamber has decreed that a kill-team be dispatched to the planet with the primary objective of extracting this artefact for study back here at Erioch. Based on reports of the artifact, it is roughly 5 feet high by 2 feet wide by 2 feet deep, weighs 100kg, is rectangular is design and is has a smooth outer layer which is etched with as of yet undeciphered runes." Ticanus presses another button and a roughly created image of the artifact is displayed. Due to the size, design and weight of artifact, you realise that someone is going to have to carry it using both hands, unless some sort of transport can be found. "Your secondary objective is to locate and if possible, rescue the Inquisitor and their cadre for extraction." Another button on the cognitor is pressed and the image of the artifact is replaced with the image of a woman in white carapace armor, alongside her are 4 others, a female assassin, a male psyker, a male guardsman and a tech-priest. Ticanus goes through each of them in turn, listing their personal attributes. "Another secondary objective is to weaken the Chaos forces attacking the planet, through destruction of their armor or assassination of their leaders, for a follow up counter-invasion by Imperial ships of the Acheros Salient. All other objectives are tertiary. Brothers, I need not remind you that some of the Imperial forces may have turned heretic or may sway to the side of Chaos during the mission. Cleanse them if you can, but remember your primary objective. You will be transported to the planet using one of our rapid strike vessels. We have timed your entry to co-incide with a counter attack from space by Imperial forces. This should give our ship the opportunity to enter orbit, dispatch you via drop pod to the planet surface and seek cover before the Chaos forces in orbit can respond to it. Once you have the artefact, place this beacon at a suitable landing sight and we will dispatch a Thunderhawk to extract you. Only place and activate the beacon once you are ready to leave the planet." Ticanus displayed a tube like device and sets it down by the cognitor. "If there are no further questions, Brothers, please elect a mission leader and take your oaths. Assessment of the mission has granted you access to 65 requisition with which to use on weapons and wargear for the mission." Ticanus then pauses and allows you to ask questions.

Summary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Primary Objective: Locate and extract the artefact from Khazant
    Secondary Objective: Rescue Inquisitor Velvo and her cadre for extraction
    Secondary Objective: Weaken Chaos forces on the planet
    Requisition: 65
    Special Gear: Extraction Beacon (this can be attached to the back or belt of any of you and offers no penalties or difficulties to carry and does not require a test to use)
    Ask questions now and choose a leader

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Deathwatch - A Prize Most Valuable (IC)

Sitting in the back throughout the briefing, Charon seems to be a statue, unmoving and hooded in plain robes. Only when the Watch-captain calls for questions, does his head raise slightly. Rumbling from the shadows, he calls out a query, intense hatred evident in his voice. "Have their been confirmed sightings of the vile Traitor marines on Khazant? What type of armored vehicles are the Enemy using and do we have any further intelligence on the opposition forces?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

For reference, I usually use bold for spoken word and italics for thoughts. Let me know if that's a problem.
    Last edited by Executus; 2010-10-05 at 02:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:
    Dark Heresy -Nixios Darktide
    Deathwatch -Devastator Charon - Assault Marine Arkio

GM'ing Deathwatch:
    It's the Fi-nal Sanction!

3. - Top - End - #3

Azirel, stands up from his place, tall and noble, nodding to his fellow battle-brother and then turns to the Watch Captain, speaking in a calm manner, coinciding with the serenity of his features, who look almost like a statue's carved from an expert craftsman's hand.

"Indeed Captain. Has there been confirmed contact with the vile traitor legions and even more any evidence indicating possible presence of other, viler denizens of the Warp, since you mentioned that we should "weaken their leadership" if possible?

Apart from the opposition is there any additional information on that excavation site which we should secure to obtain the artifact and where is the closest imperial encampment - concentration of allied forces? Any morphological information precluding certain methods of approach, for example low aerial assault via jump pack, to speak for my preferred method of insertion?

Regarding the Inquisitor and her cadre, are we to assume that their last known location was the excavation site or has there been any reason to believe otherwise, if for example a different rendezvous point for extraction had been set for them?

Finally, to adress the last matter, before proceeding to take our oaths prior to our departure, i would say that leadership for this mission should go to the battle brother among us who has evidently displayed the clearest tactical and analytical mind throughout our training, for it's his gift by the Emperor to assess such situations better and coordinate the rest of us effectively to enact our holy duties and carry out the mission. We are all blessed by His grace and it is an honour to be alongside such brave and faithful souls. Yet i know, that despite my eagerness and my prowess in close quarters combat, where i feel His guiding hand on my shoulder and His blade of piety upon my hand, meting out His righteous justice, i am not fit to be a leader.

It is with faith that i temper my inner eagerness to rush into combat and also with great exertion of will that i restrain myself in the thick of it. It is my personal tribulation to endure, my personal test in the eyes of the Emperor. For He has taught me humility through this and my only aspiration is to carry out His divine will. As such, i would propose the choosing of a battle brother possessing the aforementioned qualities and strategic mind for the leader position and i will agree with whomever you choose to appoint".

Azirel then takes his place again, grasping in his palm a small golden icon, shaped like a teardrop, awaiting the responses of his captain and his brothers.
    Arbitrator Reinhart avatar, courtesy of LCP.

My other avatars.

Spoiler
    Show

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, courtesy of Araveugnitsuga.

Warden of Divisio Immoralis, courtesy of The_Architect.

WotS group by LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Daisuke1133 View Post
    Calimos, I wish I had even half your talent for verbosity.

4. - Top - End - #4

Zombie

Ticanus responds to these questions thusly:

"We have unconfirmed reports of the Traitor Legions of the Alpha Legion and the Berserkers of Skatherax in orbit around the planet or on the surface. As for the armor, we again have unconfirmed reports of battle tanks, captured artillery and fighter-bombers. All contact has been lost with the planet, so intelligence is minimal. We believe the Enemy may have set up a base near or in the extraction site of the artefact."

Ticanus punches some commands into the cognitor and the image of the planet is magnified down to a spot on the surface. Having zoomed in, you can see an aerial view of a large excavation site that stretches quite widely and looks somewhat deep; like a large gash in the planet's surface. You can make out excavation equipment and buildings dotted around the site.

"The artefact may already be in Enemy hands. If so, liberate it. As for any further intelligence on the Enemy, aside from the orbital support provided by their warships, we have little else. We have not yet received reports of mutants or Daemons, however I would expect that these foes would remain hidden from most. And yes, Brother Azirel, weaken their leadership. The Enemy must be lead by commanders, it is up to you to find and destroy them if you can. Whether those commanders are simply Traitor Legion commanders or a foul denizen of the Warp, I do not know.

The excavation site has many tunnels dug into its pit which run deep underground."
    Ticanus presses another button and the image flips to horizontal with a tangled mess of red lines extending from the bottom of the excavation pit into all different directions at various lengths. "One in particular led to a chamber which housed the artefact." Ticanus highlights this tunnel. "However I am sure the Inquisitor would have attempted to move the artefact to a safer location once she knew the planet was under siege. We have no indication of where the artefact might be at this time, however.

As for the closest Imperial encampment, a fort garrison is present nearby and was fully manned at the time of the last transmissions from the planet. The fort garrison is roughly 3 kilometers west of the site and has access to heavy weapons and Chimera transports."
    Another few buttons are pressed and the image pans across the planet's landscape to a large, grey square situated in the middle of a large plain. Trenches and small bunkers scar the landscape around the fort and you can just barely make out gun emplacements on the fort. "Reports on the strength of this garrison indicate 3 regiments of Imperial Guard with 1 of those regiments patrolling the local area at all times.

Unfortunately there is little advantageous morphological information I can give you, Assault Brother. The site is situated in a large plain devoid of anything worthy of note: most of the natural landscape of this planet has been decimated due to the constant fighting. However it would be possible to initiate a quick, but controlled descent into the site using your jump pack.

The Inquisitor and her cadre had set up camp next to the excavation site and her last transmission placed her and her cadre there. Since the artefact appears to be what the forces of Chaos are after, it is likely that if she were there when the invasion occurred, she would have been captured, killed or fled. It is more likely that she and her cadre would have moved to a more secure or unknown location.

Noted Brother Azirel. Any further questions or do you wish to nominate a leader now?"
    Ticanus leaves the floor open.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2010-10-05 at 07:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Svari reviews the information in his mind before asking, "Are there any ciphers, any codes that the Inquisitor and her cadre are known to use, any special frequencies we could monitor to make contact with them?

I agree with Brother Azirel, command of the team should lie with those most experienced with a leadership position."
    Last edited by Daisuke1133; 2010-10-05 at 08:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Zombie

"Indeed there is. The Inquisitor of the Chamber has provided us with the ciphers, codes and frequencies used by the Inquisitor and her cadre. Take a moment to study them." Ticanus presses a variety of buttons and soon the image projected by the hololith projectors changes to a list of words, runes and numbers, each corresponding to things or situations likely to need secrecy when transmitting details of them, as well as the frequencies to broadcast them on. You take a moment to make a mental note of these. (Treat Ciphers: Inquisition as a basic skill for this mission).

"A wise decision, but if a leader cannot be nominated, I shall choose one for you."

7. - Top - End - #7

SamuraiGuy

Svari commits the information to memory and is glad he thought of this, he did not wish to leave the Inquisitor and her cadre to die without purpose.

"I would nominate Brother Tristan, he has been a very competent leader. And he is the one I trust most in such a position."

8. - Top - End - #8

Kaeste lets a dry mechanical cackle emanate from his throat. "Dramatically said, Brother Azirel. Perhaps if the Enemy will fall down and bleed merely to platitudes in His Holy Name, you might well be served best merely with a massive voxcaster for war gear. Please do test such a strategy and inform me of your results. I would be very eager to design you just such a weapon, should the need arise. I do, however, agree with the majority of your statement, and Brother Svari makes an excellent point. I likewise would like to forward esteemed Brother Tristan's name, if he would assent to take command."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the Watch-Captain speaks the names of the Traitor Legions, Charon lets out a grumble. "Emperor give me strength to smite their foulness from this world."

Seeing that the briefing is coming to an end, he raises his prodigious bulk from the bench. His face still hidden by his lowered hood, Charon passes a list of the equipment he requires to a waiting serf and prepares to speak.

"We can determine a detailed strategy enroute, but before that we require a leader. I second Brother Weylin as team leader. All should be able to attest to his leadership skills and his experience with mechanized tactics may be useful against the Enemy's forces. I would also suggest we take an oath of brotherhood or glory. As this is our first mission as a team, we should dedicate ourselves to crushing all who stand against us. What say you, brothers?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems I took too long to post. My nomination was made while I typed.

I'm suggesting Oath of the Astartes or Glory.
    Last edited by Executus; 2010-10-05 at 09:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:

GM'ing Deathwatch:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Brother Tristan quietly listens to the briefing, his eyes focused on the once again blighted planet. He takes a moment to memorize the pertinent details, especially the ciphers. As Watch Captain Ticanus asks for questions, he continues to study the ground level maps, judging possible approach vectors and ground cover. The sweeping plain is much more suited to armored warfare then a tactical insertion.

He looks up as brother Charon speaks and gives him a respectful nod. There is honor in knowing where best you can serve he who sits upon the golden throne.

Azirel speaks, voicing concise questions. The answers that are provided by the Watch Captain paint a clearer picture of the situation, but, as always the fog of war still obscures much. No matter, the kill team will bring the Light of the God Emperor to the heretic scum.

Tristan is filled with martial pride as Svari nominates him as squad leader, and is quickly seconded by several others. He looks over at the Space Wolf and grins as he stands. “I am honored by your faith my Brothers. If it is the will of the Kill Team, I will lead. I have some experience with command and this planet. I commanded a Predator here over two years ago as part of the Storm Wardens contribution to the Crusade.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems I also took to long to post. Any other suggestions for oaths gentlemen?
    Last edited by Ceridan; 2010-10-06 at 12:15 AM.
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Alyxander sits silent thrugh most of the briefing, content to let his Brother Marines speak first. Hearing their recommendations he raises his hand, "I too put forward Brother Tristan as my recommendation for leader. However I would like it stipulated that in the event that he be unable to command, that we nominate a Second. I humbly put myself forward for that duty." His face becoming more serious as he speaks, "We will bring death to the Traitor Marines, I say aye to Brother Charon's suggestion also. An oath to strengthen our minds and hearts against the foulness that is Chaos, that His Most Holy Emperor might hear, and grant us a boon." he stands up and walks over to the map of the excavation site, "Also I would recomend we aim to touch down somewhere between the fortress and the excavation site. The former being a potential site for reinforcement or, should the foul Traitor Marines be present, it may have been captured and perverted. This we should confirm before proceeding." he says, indicating a general area on the map, "What say you?" he regards his Brother Marines, and Watch-Captain Ticanus, but Brother Tristan in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Tristan turns to Brother Alyxander. “A wise precaution brother, I second the motion for you to act as assistant squad leader. As to an Oath, it seems to me that an extraction mission does not lend itself well to an Oath of Glory. The oath of brotherhood, the Oath of the Astartes would serve our first official mission as a Kill Team best to my mind.”

He stands and joins Alyxander at the map. “You are quite right, the fortress must be addressed. If it still flies the Aquila then so much the better, but if it has fallen to the traitors, we must know.” Tracing a finger over the map projection he nods to himself. “I propose we should make our landing at night at the point brother Alyxander has indicated. The wreckage constantly falling from orbit lights the night sky like falling stars, it will cover our drop pod’s landing.”
    Last edited by Ceridan; 2010-10-06 at 12:17 AM.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael

13. - Top - End - #13

Brother Azirel stands up, filled with content to see the kill-team's leadership in the experienced hands of his two brothers.

At first he turns towards brother Kaeste.

"Honourable brother, i acknowledge the importance of every weapon, every armor, every strategy employed against humanity's enemies. But it is in the Emperor and in the noble and heroic example of my Primarch, Sanguinius, that my faith lies unshakeable. We must not forget that the very name of our beloved Father is anathema to the forces of Chaos and by His eternal vigil we still exist and carry out His will. As for the special, expertly designed voxcaster, this is something that intrigues me brother and i would like to use our next available time, after we return to the Watch fortress to discuss and examine this potential at length and with further details. Perhaps set it to repeat continuously well-known catechisms and litanies varying according to the enemy we face or something along this plan".

Then he turns to face the rest of his battle-brothers as well and speaks up.

"I concur brothers. The nomination and selection of our mission leaders as primary and substitute, bears my approval as well. As for the deployment, indeed the cover of falling debris might allow us to descend like the Angels of Death we are upon the blasphemous forces of Chaos in the area. If the imperial forces in the area have been corrupted and compromised then after we have secured our primary objective and secondary objectives we can re-examine the tactical situation and decide our further course of action depending on the circumstances.

As for the oath, i agree that perhaps an Oath of the Astartes might serve best to indicate our first operational situation together, but i will also emphasize the dire threat of the forces we might face and i will support consequently an Oath to our Lord and Master, the God-Emperor, for only He may guard us against the vile profanity and soul corrupting powers of Chaos and it is indeed our faith the best weapon we can ever hope to bring against the enemies of Mankind".
    Last edited by Calimos; 2010-10-06 at 02:15 AM.

My other avatars.

Spoiler
    Show

WotS group by LCP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Onissius speaks for the first time. his voice is low and mellow:
    "I am happy that such esteemed battle brothers will take the lead. Let us then proceed to the plan:
    I'd like to propose that we assume that the inquisitor moved the artifact, and we thus try to locate her first. I assume that will be the course of action of our enemy as well."
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

Ticanus smiles as you come to a more or less unanimous decision on leadership. "Then it is decided. Brother Tristan will be your leader in this mission. Look to him for guidance. It is also pleasing to see your preparedness in electing a second in command. I am sure Brother Alyxander will zealously take to the position of leader should your elected leader fall."

The Watch Captain listens to your exchange of tactics and concurs.

"I shall have drop co-ordinates of your chosen drop-site sent to the ship's navigation and pod crews.

I agree. It is unlikely the Inquisitor would have left the artefact at the excavation site once the planet was under siege. Unfortunately we have no information on her whereabouts or even if she is indeed still alive. Despite this, it is advisable to locate her last know whereabouts any way you can and attempt to learn of the location of where the artefact might be. And indeed, it is likely your mission will be a race against time against the Enemy. I do not have to remind you of the severity of letting an ancient piece of technology fall into the hands of Chaos.

Brother Tristan, you have heard the opinions of your Brothers. It is now time to choose an Oath to perform."

(Once you've chosen one, simply roleplay out some Oath taking ceremony, which is to be done here, in front of Ticanus, so that he may witness the Oath)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The fortress should be able to provide transport to carry the artifact. I recommend we determine if it is Traitor held or not. I also agree with the Watch-Captain. An insertion on an enemy held world must move quickly, before they can muster forces to surround us or secure the objective."

Smashing his fist into his palm, his facade of calm cracks for a moment. "However, we cannot ignore the opportunity to smash the foul Traitors and assist in the liberation of this world. If the fortress is held by the enemy, we should wipe it from the map. No mercy for heretics," flecks of spittle flying from under his hood. After he finishes speaking, only a quickened breath betrays his loss of composure.

Moving to encircle Tristan for the oath taking, Charon unobtrusively moves to the opposite side from Svari. "Our first true test as a team. I have my eye on you, wolf..." Shifting his focus to the oath at hand, Charon makes the sign of the Aquila and bows his head, silently devoting himself to a successful mission and cleansing the filth of Chaos.

Spoiler
    Show

Mission Equipment:
    Devastator Standard kit
    Kraken Rounds x2 (20)
    Metal Storm Rounds x1 (20)
    Chainsword with Dipole Maglock (10)
    Cartograph (5)
    1 Frag, 1 Krak (2)
    Astartes Harness (4)
    Vox Caster (10) - passed to Kaeste
    (71) total
    Last edited by Executus; 2010-10-06 at 08:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:

GM'ing Deathwatch:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Tristan bows his head and makes the sign of the Aquila, waiting for his brothers to form circle with him before proceeding.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As I’ll be leaving shortly for work until 10pm eastern, I’ll spoiler the oath so as to not step on any ones toes who hasn’t had time to post something they wanted to before it occurs.

Tristan speaks the Oath of the Astartes solemnly, zeal underscoring his words. “We set out to serve he who sits upon the Golden throne, to safeguard his realm and bring his swift retribution to those who would turn away from his holy light. Before him, and his sons, our fathers the Primarchs, we swear as brothers, as Astartes, to recover and extract the artifact and the Inquisitor, and to bring fiery ruin to his enemies. So say we all.”
    Last edited by Ceridan; 2010-10-06 at 10:22 PM.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael

18. - Top - End - #18

Azirel moves slowly and deliberately from his seat, makes the sign of the Aquilla and then proceeds to take his place in the circle. The small golden icon held reverently in his hands, he joins the circle of brothers, lending his strong, noble voice to the prayer and the Oath of the Astartes. He looks to each of his brothers with eyes calm, showing an acknowledgement of their skill and courage. Then he closes them, his face looks up, his hands are clutched together at chest height, showing his devotion and faith.

"By your grace Allmighty Emperor, by your grace Primarchs of old, by your grace Father Sanguinius, we stand here before you and before the eyes of our honourable Watch Captain, to join our voices, to undertake an oath. An oath to confirm our bonds as brothers-in-arms, as servants of the Imperium, as mighty Angels of Death, as Adeptus Astartes. Heed our oath and sanctify it with your eternal power. Let each of us be the sword and shield of his brother, let each if us fulfill his chosen role in the tribulation that lies before us. Steel our souls with faith and trust to each other and to You. Lend us a portion of your might, the better to fight the horrors awaiting us. Make our spirits as one, unite us under the sacred banner of Mankind's defence, under the common mission that beckons to us. Let us make you proud once more with our deeds and safeguard us through this ordeal".

Spoiler
    Show
    Items requisitioned:
    Standard Assault Marine gear plus:
    1 additional frag grenade (1)
    1 additional krak grenade (1)
    Astartes harness (4)
    Fire selector for bolt pistol (2)
    Red-dot laser sight for bolt pistol (10)
    2 Hellfire rounds clip for bolt pistol (25)
    8 Kraken rounds clips for bolt pistol (20)
    63 requisition spent, 2 left for anyone else to use.
    (plus 2 clips of normal bolt shells for bolt pistol at no additional cost)
    Last edited by Calimos; 2010-10-07 at 03:04 PM.

My other avatars.

Spoiler
    Show

WotS group by LCP

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Svari stands and takes his place beside his battle-brothers, pulling the rune-totem from its place at his side and says, "It is by the will of the All-Father that we have been placed here. It is by the grace of the Primarchs that we were made into what we are. Astartes. We will never falter in our duty. Never fail to strike a blow against Humanity's enemies. Never stop until the Imperium is saved and Humankind's future is secure. This we swear until the end of time. This oath I keep until the moment of my death and beyond."

Spoiler
    Show
    Svari will take:
    An Astartes Chainsword (5 req)
    2 Krak Grenades (2 req)
    A Fire Selector (2 req)
    1 Clip of Kraken ammo for the Bolter (5 req)
    1 Clip of Metal Storm ammo for the Bolter (15 req)
    3 Clips of Bolt ammo for the Bolter
    2 Clips of Bolt ammo for the Bolt Pistol
    A Melta Bomb (25 req)
    A Stummer (5 req)
    A Pair of Magnoculars (3 req)
    Astartes Harness. (4 req)
    Last edited by Daisuke1133; 2010-10-06 at 03:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Tristan listens to his battle brothers as they each make the oath in a way in accordance with each chapter’s teachings.

Spoiler
    Show

Tristan will requisition the following,
    Astartes Harness: 4 req
    Back Banner: 15 req
    Data Slate: 5 req
    Magnoculars: 3 req
    Astartes Cluster Mines x2: 10 req
    Auspex: 12 req
    Kraken Clips for Bolt Pistol x2: 5 req
    Extra Krak Grenades x2: 2 req.

Spent 56 req.
    9 req left if someone in the squad needs it.

Tristan will also take the beacon.
    Last edited by Ceridan; 2010-10-06 at 10:22 PM.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Alyxander joins the circle, making sure he is not next to Brother Onissius, old habits die hard. "I swear by the Holy Emperor to protect my battle-brothers, and purge our enemies, to compete this mission and beyond. Bless this union of brothers, oh Emperor, that we might have some of your strength to overcome our foes."
    Spoiler
    Show

Once the oath giving ceremony is complete, Alyxander will add, "I believe it possible that the Inquisitor's course of action may even have been to bring the Artefact to the fortress. If it flies the colours of the Aquila we should check in with them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As Onissius takes his place in the circle, he swears:
    "By our duty to mankind and it's protector the emperor I who elevated us into Adeptus Astartes I swear to defeat all enemies of mankind and reclaim the artifact, or die trying."

Spoiler
    Show

Requisition:
    Item: (req cost)
    Psy Focus (15)
    Kraken Rounds x 4 (20)
    Melta bomb (25)
    Astartes box rounds x 3 (0)
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

23. - Top - End - #23

Kaeste steps up the circle, bionic arm whirring slightly as he raises it and takes his place in the circle. "We stand here today by His grace, brothers in His Name. Let our bolts be as the hammer-blows of the Omnissiah's wrath, every footfall heralding His return, every foe taught to fear His ire. We are His Astartes, and we shall know no fear."

Spoiler
    Show

Kaeste is Requisitioning

4 -Astartes Harness
    12 - Auspex
    15 - Kraken Bolts (x3)
    15 - Combi-tool
    10 - Voxcaster

with 9 left over for the group.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Listening to his teammates proclaim their oaths, Charon remains silent. After the rest have said their piece, he intones a final addition.
    "We are the Space Marines
    The Champions of Humanity
    The Emperor's chosen warriors
    For every one of us that falls in battle
    one hundred enemies will die."

With the oath at an end, Charon raises his gaze from the floor and looks to the Watch-Captain for any further instructions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:

GM'ing Deathwatch:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Listening to his teammates proclaim their oaths, Charon remains silent. After the rest have said their piece, he intones a final addition.
    "We are the Space Marines
    The Champions of Humanity
    The Emperor's chosen warriors
    For every one of us that falls in battle
    one hundred enemies will die."

With the oath at an end, Charon raises his gaze from the floor and looks to the Watch-Captain for any further instructions.

Spoiler
    Show

Since Kaeste grabbed a Vox, I'll change out for a set of Restraints, just in case. I just wanted to make sure we had one.

Mission Equipment:
    Devastator Standard kit
    Kraken Rounds x2 (20)
    Metal Storm Rounds x1 (20)
    Chainsword with Dipole Maglock (10)
    Cartograph (5)
    1 Frag, 1 Krak (2)
    Astartes Harness (4)
    Restraints (10)
    Total: 71
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:

GM'ing Deathwatch:

26. - Top - End - #26

Zombie

Ticanus allows you to finish your Oath before speaking up and handing the beacon over to Tristan.

"A good Oath; may it serve you well in your mission. Unless there are any more questions this briefing is over." Ticanus presses a button on the cogitator and the hololith images disappear. "Serfs are waiting outside this theatre to take your armory requests, or you can choose to go there yourselves. Your ship, The Righteous Spear, departs in two hours from Void Dock C. Make your preparations, Brothers." With that, the Watch Captain signals that the briefing is over.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you still want to make adjustments to your requisitioned gear, do so now

You file out of the briefing hall, some of you passing instructions to the waiting serfs and some of you making the trip to the nearest armory personally after returning to your quarters to equip your power armor and the rest of your wargear. Those of you that go personally are scanned and admitted entry by the large gun servitors that guard the armory doors. Moments later you leave carrying an assortment of wargear.

Soon enough, you are aboard the rapid-strike vessel 'The Righteous Spear', speeding through the system at speeds you have rarely seen before. Before long you hear klaxons sound and alerts rapidly come through over the vox systems. "BATTLE STATIONS! HOLD FIRE UNTIL ENGAGED! WATCH FOR FRIENDLIES!" The call is also made for your kill-team to prepare for planetary deployment. Rushing to the drop-pods, you occasionally hear the sound of tiny chunks of debris spattering against the side of the ship and the ship occasionally shakes as a nearby explosion rocks it. Once you have reached the drop-pod area, the tech-priests confirm your drop location and you are assembled in the pod, along with your wargear, and strapped in. Like the many other times you have been inside a drop-pod waiting for deployment, there is a strange sense of calm; like a calm before the storm. Your eyes linger on each of your Brothers for a moment before a red light begins to flash inside the pod and a tech-priest's mechanical voice chimes in: "Drop-pod Delta 2-1 firing in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Firing."

There is an almighty boom as the drop-pod is fired from the ship. The chatter of debris is increased, sounding almost like rain outside the pod. The pod remains largely unshaken by explosions, your small size an unlikely target for any Chaos warships in favor of the massive ships of the Imperium. Suddenly you feel the massive change in gravity inside the pod as it breaches Khazant's atmosphere. Incredible Gs are strained upon you, but you have each been through dozens, if not more, drops and are used to it's familiar feeling.

No more than a minute after the gravitational change, your pod comes to an abrupt and utter halt as it slams into the surface of Khazant. A green light comes on inside the pod, your restraints release themselves and the pod doors come crashing down with a hiss and thud. Your mission has begun.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2010-10-07 at 04:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"...protect my brothers, protect me, grat us safe landing and preserve us through our mission to deliver Your righteous justice. Help me uphold my Chapter's honour, steel my soul against the vile servants of Chaos, grant me strength and help me withstand any tribulation. For you are the Master of Mankind and my Father".

As Azirel's prayer comes to an end, he hears and feels the loud, thundering noise, indicating the drop pod's landing. The pod doors crash down and his restraints fall. Azirel visually and via vox-link checks for the status of his battle-brothers and jumps out of the pod, keeping himself low and scanning fir immediate threats in the vicinity. His trusted bolt pistol and chainsword are in his hands and every muscle in his body flexes and relaxes in preparedness. Inside his sealed helmet (that resembles a golden mask of piety and serenity, gifted to him as a coveted piece of wargear from his Chapter prior to his leaving for the Deathwatch), he is calm, all checking tests performed as if unconsciously, the relevant procedures as part of him as his own arms.

He stands wary and low, awaiting for the leader's orders.

My other avatars.

Spoiler
    Show

WotS group by LCP

28. - Top - End - #28

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Your cohesion for this mission, based on Tristan's Fel Bonus and Command skill, along with your Oath, is 7.

Azirel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The runes marking the status of your Brothers all return clear and healthy vitals

As you leave the pod you quickly take in your surroundings. It is night and you appear to be (as far as you can tell with your auto-senses) on a massive plain, scarred with dark craters and the tattered remains of bushes and trees. Battered and broken chainwire and tank traps lie strewn across the land and the sounds of distance gunfire and explosions can be heard. Across the horizon, you see tiny specs of fires burning and occasionally a larger spec which winks into and out of existance, signifying an explosion of some kind. Several hundred metres roughly South of you, you can see the wrecked carcass of a Chimera, stripped of all it's weaponry and most of it's armor.

What becomes more obvious to you is the massive horde of what appear to be Chaos heretics charging across the plain about 50 metres away from you. At first, they charge not at you, but to somewhere across to the West. However your less than quiet entry (especially in the local area) has not gone unnoticed and members of the horde closest to you shout and point at you. "ASTARTES SCUM! KIIIIIIIIILL THEM!" The horde then grinds it's charge to a halt to face you.

Roll for initiative. Chaos Heretic Horde = (1d10+3)[5]
    Last edited by The Commander; 2010-10-10 at 02:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the drop pod doors open, Charon ducks his head and steps out onto the surface of the Chaos held world. Clad in the black and silver armor of the Deathwatch, his prodigious size is further exaggerated. The heavy bolter in his hands appears almost toy-like in comparison, as the devastator scans the area for threats. Over his armor, Charon wears a pale ceremonial robe of symbolic of his chapter, but, unlike on the Watch Station, this robe has no hood.

A rumble issues over the vox. "Providing overwatch for enemy contact." Standing with feet planted like a titanic statue, he awaits further orders.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If all clear, Charon will check their position on his cartograph.
    Also, unless otherwise specified, Charon will remain in squad mode with whoever is closest.
    Last edited by Executus; 2010-10-07 at 11:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Active Characters:

GM'ing Deathwatch:

30. - Top - End - #30

Zombie

(OOC: If you wish to leave the drop-pod in Squad Mode, you must either spend a Full Action (on your turn) or attempt a Cohesion Challenge (roll 1d10, rolling equal or less than 7) as a free action or reaction (meaning you can do it now if you want), with success meaning you're in Squad Mode and failure meaning you miss your Turn. For the purposes of Support Range, you're all within 30 metres of one another)

Charon
    Spoiler
    Show
    (As stated above for beginning play in Squad Mode. You also need to roll initiative against the Chaos Horde 50 metres away from you. This also means that the area is not clear yet and you cannot enter Overwatch yet)

Svari
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Your roll botched, try it again. And I remember you saying your character by default has their helmet off, so I shall keep that in mind)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2010-10-07 at 06:56 PM.