New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename "Steam Thread": da]mexitt hr[a vise

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    But a good Medic should be able to. Why give any advice about playing at all if you're just going to assume your opponents can't use their weapons?
    Because the average person is gonna start out playing in pubs, and the average pub player can't aim the needlegun. IIRC the OP asked for advice for beginners. Admittedly if you're playing on ChHa then most people will be a bit better than average but still, most pubbies can't aim the needlegun well.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Because the average person is gonna start out playing in pubs, and the average pub player can't aim the needlegun. IIRC the OP asked for advice for beginners. Admittedly if you're playing on ChHa then most people will be a bit better than average but still, most pubbies can't aim the needlegun well.
    And most pubbies can't use the Shotgun. I fail to see the difference. Being able to use all your weapons is something you should do and you can't give advice assuming that your opponents can't actually use half their class features.

It's a basic rule that you always assume your opponents are competent at everything their class offers because otherwise you'll end up charging the Sniper reasoning "he probably can't quickscope" then getting headshot, or chase the Spy up the stairs thinking that you won't get stairstabbed this time.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-11-09 at 08:55 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    And most pubbies can't use the Shotgun. I fail to see the difference. Being able to use all your weapons is something you should do and you can't give advice assuming that your opponents can't actually use half their class features.

It's a basic rule that you always assume your opponents are competent at everything their class offers because otherwise you'll end up charging the Sniper reasoning "he probably can't quickscope" then getting headshot, or chase the Spy up the stairs thinking that you won't get stairstabbed this time.
    This works with skilled pubbies/comp play. If you're just starting out then people just aren't going to remember a whole list of things all at the same time until they've got the most basic things at an intuitive level. So tell them the most basic things first and then once they've got those down then they can start paying attention to stairstabs and headshots. Beginners wouldn't have been able to avoid those things anyways. That's really all there is to say on the matter.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

"Even slightly competent medics with the bluts will kill you if you charge straight at them" is pretty valuable for new Pyros to learn. They're pretty much the one class most vulnerable to needles.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    "Even slightly competent medics with the bluts will kill you if you charge straight at them" is pretty valuable for new Pyros to learn. They're pretty much the one class most vulnerable to needles.
    If I had a dollar for every Pyro that's charged straight at me...

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Best trick when pursuing a backpeddling medic as Pyro is to airblast them off-course into a wall, then they are open to axetinguisher/further burning.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-11-09 at 09:12 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Best trick when pursuing a backpeddling medic as Pyro is to airblast them off-course into a wall, then they are open to axetinguisher/further burning.
    You already think that the best thing to do as Pyro is W+M2.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #578
    Orc in the Playground

If I had a dollar for every pyro that charged at me.

Just replace the blut with a shotgun.

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    I just want to toast you with my nice, warm flames...
    Last edited by ShortOne; 2010-11-09 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLuigi View Post
    If I had a dollar for every pyro that charged at me.

Just replace the blut with a shotgun.
    Not charging in a straight line was the first lesson I ever learned playing pyro. Fortunately, there are plenty of pubbies who never picked it up, and are more than happy to be minigun fodder.
    Last edited by Sammiches; 2010-11-09 at 10:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Fawkes and I were talking about Urban Dead, when the subject started to drift to the subject of a different, sadly non-existent type of game (and by "started to drift" I mean "was abruptly dragged").

Spoiler
    Show
    Worira: Oh man I just remembered how boring this game is
    Worira: And how I don't know pretty much anyone in the thread
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: heh
    Worira: And how nothing I do actually makes any difference
    Worira: I guess I'll go try to maul you lot.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: k
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: have fun
    Worira: I might also not bother
    Worira: Because meh
    Worira: Makes me want a properly-done zombie MMO, though.
    Worira: With, like, gameplay and stuff.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: yeah, thatd be pretty sweet
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: sort of like dead rising with mmo
    Worira: Yeah.
    Worira: HArd to balance, though.
    Worira: Might be easier as a moderately large FPS.
    Worira: Like, 64 players per server, most commons, then a few specials and survivors.
    Worira: You'd need a way for playing a common to not be incredibly boring, though.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: Maybe go the L4D approach where commons are AI and players control special zombies.
    Worira: But then you've just got L4d.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: but BIGGER
    Worira: Hmm.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: it sounds more impressive when you see the hand motions
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: BIGGEr
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: *motions*
    Worira: Commons and unorganized civilians could act as mobs, with specials and survivors being PCs.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: makes sense
    Worira: You wouldn't want the same emphasis on incapacitation as in L4D, though. You might have special zombies who specialize in debuffing survivors, but you wouldn't have caught=dead.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: yeah, definitely
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: also more focus on using whatever weapon uou can get your hands on, like dead rising
    Worira: Yeah. If it uses levels, higher levels would be where you'd start bringing in guns.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: maybe you can always use guns, but beginner accuracy is piss poor
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: leveling improves accuracy, reload speed, what have you
    Worira: Starting zombies would be basically commons, and starting survivors would have, like, a stick.Or have terrible accuracy.
    Worira: I like the "get better at guns" idea.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: maybe guns are relatively hard to find
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: ammo too
    Worira: Yeah. Not tied directly to level, but you want a high-level character to have the ammo.
    Worira: Melee combat would have an option to get better at it, but would normally stay about the same.
    Worira: Left 4 World of Borderlands
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: maybe scavenging skills improve?
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: and they can find larger amounts of ammo in stashes?
    Worira: That would make sense.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: fallout 3 had something like that
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: a perk that made you get more ammo whenever you found some
    Worira: And you could focus on being a lightly-armed scavenger, or have better gun skills, but trouble finding ammo for them.
    Worira: And not have a skill progression that ramps too sharply, so you don't force people to despecialize.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: yeah
    Worira: You'd want a very strong focus on PvP, though. And having places that are just totally safe forever would be frustrating to the zombies.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: Ideally, there would be some sort of fortifications
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: something that wouyld provide relative safety
    Worira: And that would prevent one zombie pulling an all-nighter and tearing it down.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: but that would require some sort of upkeep
    Worira: Resources that had to be scavenged
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: yesss
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: and your barricade skill can be improved over time
    Worira: And at high levels, you'd basically have professional military fortifications.
    Worira: But you'd draw in stronger zombies to get at the delicious survivor-meat.
    Worira: Because obviously killing tougher survivors would be worth more, just like killing more powerful zombies.
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: makes sense
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: so maybe zombies start off as common types, but learn skills and abilities to make them more specially
    Worira: Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
    Worira: So a very high-level direct fighter zombie basically ends up a tank
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: but you could instead choose to buff up their speed
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: maybe give them a pounce attack and increase their jump
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: or learn a long-distance attack
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: and slowly increase its range and damage
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: man this would be an awesome game
    Worira: Indeed.
    Worira: I think I'll post this in the steam thread.
    Worira: Left 4 World of Urban Dead Rising
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: I'd play it.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

12. - Top - End - #582

Yeah I'd play that zombie apocalypses only get better with scale. I think that levelling the zombies is up is a cool mechanic as if done right the survivors might never know what each player controlled zombie is capable of until they were already fighting him.

A conversation line you guys had got me thinking about an idea for a little bit of a different large scale multi-player zombie game:

ELECTRIC FAWKES: maybe guns are relatively hard to find
    ELECTRIC FAWKES: ammo too
    Throw on some health packs and maybe a food system on to that list of hard to find things and suddenly you don't even need player controlled zombies. Seriously just NPC zombies and the players are forced to fight amongst each other for resources, they build shakey alliances are formed between survivors as they work together to ambush other groups and kill them for their supplies, but when it comes time to divvy the goods... Paranoia would run high and you'd never know who to trust, even the guy who'd been your ally all game could potentially turn when between the two of you there's only enough supplies to keep one of you going. I would play the hell out of that.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

13. - Top - End - #583

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    I still wouldn't be able to spend it cause there's inevitably a scout behind me who can't believe his luck.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

14. - Top - End - #584

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tarbrush View Post
    I still wouldn't be able to spend it cause there's inevitably a scout behind me who can't believe his luck.
    Oh god so true.

Pyros are so distracting.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

I am now streaming live! Playing some X-Com and listening to good music.

Click here to watch

EDIT: Thats all for now folks.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2010-11-10 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

16. - Top - End - #586

Also the dollar is worth like 10p OH SNAP.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

17. - Top - End - #587

Right now it appears to be trading at ~62p. Frakkin' economy...

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about doing a Descent LP. Sound vaguely interesting to anyone? Could be fun.

Um... Steam... related... things go here. TF2 and some variation on the Spy meme.

19. - Top - End - #589

Kobold

The man on the hill

Spoiler
    Show

Round after round,
    Alone on a hill,
    The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
    But nobody wants to know him,
    They can see that he's just a brit,
    And he never gives an answer,

But the man on the hill,
    Sees the clock ticking down,
    And the jars of his pee,
    Show the spy running 'round.

Well on the way,
    Cart on a hill,
    The man of a thousand bullets flying perfectly true
    But nobody ever sees him,
    or the kill he appears to make,
    and he never seems to notice,

But the man on the hill,
    And the jars of his pee,

And nobody seems to like him,
    they can tell what he wants to do,
    and he never shows his feelings,

But the man on the hill,
    And the jars of his pee,

Ooh, ooh,
    Round and round and round.

And he never listens to them,
    He knows that they're the spies
    They don't like him,

But the man on the hill,
    And the jars of his pee,

Ooh,
    Round and round and round

20. - Top - End - #590
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tarbrush, I like your kitteh avatar. We need cat hats in TF2.

They would be, AWESOME because of this:

Soldier: If God had wanted you to live, he would not have created me!
    Cat on Solly's head: Mew!

Best killcam picture ever.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Streaming X-Com was fun. Thanks for all those who showed up. I will probably continue from where we left off at 9am EST Friday.
    My Twitter

22. - Top - End - #592

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Tarbrush, I like your kitteh avatar. We need cat hats in TF2.

They would be, AWESOME because of this:

Soldier: If God had wanted you to live, he would not have created me!
    Cat on Solly's head: Mew!

Best killcam picture ever.
    Might be even better paired with one of the "hippie" lines.

23. - Top - End - #593

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Streaming X-Com was fun. Thanks for all those who showed up. I will probably continue from where we left off at 9am EST Friday.
    I bet streaming x-com is fun.

But you know what I enjoy? Streaming movies based off books by Terry Pratchett! I'll be doing that on Friday! Not that that will interfere; I havn't quite worked out whether I'll be streaming at 9 or 6 pm but either way it definitely won't overlap with your stream!

I just wanted to remind everyone!

24. - Top - End - #594

Kitteh courtesy of Sinfest.

And yes, a cat hat would be awesome. I now want one.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    blah blah streaming blah blah blah TERRY PRATCHETT blah blah
    TERRY PRATCHETT!

Even if my stream was still going, when yours started I would shut it off and send everyone to you, and go to see the movie myself.

TERRY PRATCHETT!

I'll be there.

.........TERRY PRATCHETT!
    Last edited by Volatar; 2010-11-10 at 05:08 PM.
    My Twitter

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Conflabbit, I won't be around then. That's.. early saturday morning, here in Japan. Nope, not going to happen.

Ah well. Have fun
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #597
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I bet streaming x-com is fun.

But you know what I enjoy? Streaming movies based off books by Terry Pratchett! I'll be doing that on Friday! Not that that will interfere; I havn't quite worked out whether I'll be streaming at 9 or 6 pm but either way it definitely won't overlap with your stream!

I just wanted to remind everyone!
    Stupid timezones.

Earth needs to be flat I say. Then Sun will be all over us like Spies to teleporter exits.

In any case, cannae attend. So annoyed.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Stupid timezones.

Earth needs to be flat I say. Then Sun will be all over us like Spies to teleporter exits.

In any case, cannae attend. So annoyed.
    But the rotisserie cooking is what gives earth that crispy outer layer we all love so much!

29. - Top - End - #599

Kobold

Upcoming films:

GOING POSTAL
    THE ROOM
    HOGFATHER
    SCOTT PILGRIM
    COLOUR OF MAGIC

QUERY: The Terry Pratchett Movies are all extremely long. Would you guys prefer to have them shown in two segments and thus take up twice as much time?
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-11-10 at 08:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiches View Post
    But the rotisserie cooking is what gives earth that crispy outer layer we all love so much!
    But flat could be carried by elephants on the back of a turtle!

Edit: Scott Pilgrim?

Man. I could watch that for a thousand years.

Five thousand years.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-11-10 at 09:09 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.