New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename "Steam Thread": da]mexitt hr[a vise

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/na...r-t/#continued

Natural Selection 2! GOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig E View Post
    Not on your life.
    Well Djinn looks like we're in this together then .
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm. Is it going to be worth the 35 bucks to preorder the game? What's the gameplay going to be like?

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Hmmmm. Is it going to be worth the 35 bucks to preorder the game? What's the gameplay going to be like?
    Presumably it'll be a lot like Natural Selection 1.

NS1 was great fun. The ZMF had forum games of it all the time, since it was a hl1 mod and therefore free (and hl1 being really old was ALSO effectively free)

As I recall, the gameplay had two things going for it

First, there was the alien/human fighting, which was a lot like l4d; (fast alien with giant claws vs slow human with giant gun. No incaps, thank god)

Second, there was the actual tactics of it. The aliens could choose to spawn as builders, and then just make stuff wherever it was needed, assuming they had the resource for it (resource is gained by putting a building on a resource node).

The humans, on the other hand, could ALL build, but only the human commander could designate build sites. Effectively, one guy pretended he was playing an RTS, only all he could do was issue orders and pray his team followed them. He was also responsible for dropping weapons and armor on the team.

It was actually really cool because the aliens could manage eighteen separate projects at once and be incredibly mobile and swarm the pants off you if they worked together.

At the same time, the humans were a lot easier to organize, and sticking together is crucial. One of the best feelings in the world is when you're all alone, backpedalling, low on HP, a facehugger leaping at your face and then-

*bing* all your HP is back. You kill the alien and your commander goes "I DROP THE BEST MEDKITS! "

EDIT: Also, CLOAKNOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-11-19 at 09:48 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, color me convinced. I trust I won't be alone in the beta?

5. - Top - End - #845

Okay so far I've tried the NS2 beta out, I dunno if its a common thing yet or what but me and my brother were getting horrible performance at this point but I imagine it will fix up soon (its a beta after all). Apart from that so far it seems like old school NS. I haven't been able to get the navigation map to work yet but I'm not sure if they removed that feature or if its just not been implemented yet. Anyway I haven't found the beta to be that playable yet , but it will hopefully pick up soon.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Very nice changes in the latest Left 4 Dead 2 patch. Glows have been voted to correspond to represent permanent and temporary health, and to add to that, glows correspond to run speed. So you should be green until 39 health, then amber until, uh, whatever's next. Rather than amber from 49-40 despite the fact that you're still at full speed.

And a glow for Witches!

One of those patches that makes me respect the devs for how intelligent the design choices are. Granted, of course, these could have been in from the beginning, but still.

Also, I just got a new mic (read: I stole the one from my roommate's copy of Rock Band 2 and it works awesomely). Want to try it out in L4D2 very much, but my attempts to make games always end in disappointment and heartbreak. Will play TF2, up for L4D2 regardless.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-11-19 at 01:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Also, I just got a new mic (read: I stole the one from my roommate's copy of Rock Band 2 and it works awesomely). Want to try it out in L4D2 very much. No more laptop buzz from me!
    I actually used to use my Rock Band 1 mic, and got some pretty decent quality off of it. Problem was I had no mic stand, so I just got a headset and now spend my time hating my voice.

But Gib Fest sessions should be done later! LET THERE BE BLOOD!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    I actually used to use my Rock Band 1 mic, and got some pretty decent quality off of it. Problem was I had no mic stand, so I just got a headset and now spend my time hating my voice.
    I have mine sitting in a coffee cup next to me. Of course, I don't know if it's close enough to my mouth for it to be clear enough. Hence -- testing ho!

Agreed on Gib Fest. Gib Fest on Dead Center 1 is fun. "You thought I'd just have a melee weapon? EAT LEAD.

EAT ALL OF THE LEAD."
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-11-19 at 01:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Alright, color me convinced. I trust I won't be alone in the beta?
    I uh

I havn't gotten it yet because I'm poor.

I miss cloaknos

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Want to try it out in L4D2 very much,
    I'm (just about) always up for L4D2, if I'm near the computer. And wouldn't mind trying to organize/invite people. If you see me online/around, let's do it.

11. - Top - End - #851

Okay so after some more playing around in NS2 Beta basically...

The game has a lot of promise and it looks like its going to turn out to be good but currently this build is pretty unplayable. I don't think they should have gone out of Alpha just yet because I've had to seriously turn down my settings to get it to a bearable state and that still doesn't do anything to fix the net code issues . Apparently this build is a huge improvement over the last one in terms of lag and playability but its still not there yet. The impression I get from reading what the developers have said is that their main focus will probably fall onto the lag issues for the while until it gets more playable. My honest opinion though is any fans who were thinking of pre-ordering to get beta access might want to wait a few weeks for it to get to a more playable state. I'm not sure if they're cutting off beta access after a certain date but I have certainly not found it to be that playable in its current state.

Putting aside the lag I'm not sure if I like the idea of the Alien Commander that much though as I always thought that Aliens being commanderless was one of the key things that set them out from the marines but I'll have to see the game in a more finished state to see if it works. The new models and designs look cool as do all the little class and weapon changes but once again I haven't really been able to try them much .
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #852

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post

But Gib Fest sessions should be done later! LET THERE BE BLOOD!
    I used one of those, too. I usually grabbed a shirt with a chest pocket and set the mic in there.

Also, Jibar, you and I are totally playing gib fest this weekend. This is non-negotiable.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone up for gibfest around now?

14. - Top - End - #854

Suddenly, PATCH NOTES. Thousands of them.

Team Fortress 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Added the "Team Spirit" paint can.
    • Added Telltale Games items:
      • Dangeresque, Too?: Strong Bad's styling glasses (equipped by the Demoman)
      • License to Maim: Max's Badge (equipped by all classes)
      • The Iron Curtain: The Heavy's first love (equipped by the Heavy, obviously)
      • The Enthusiast's Timepiece: Tycho's favorite timepiece (equipped by the Spy)
    • Updated some item capabilities:
    • Employees badges can now have custom names.
    • The Stickybomb Jumper can now be gift wrapped.
    • The Spine-Chilling Skull and Voodoo Juju hats are now paintable.
    • Improved the Spine-Chilling Skull and Voodoo Juju hat positions on the Sniper.
    • Added the original Ubersaw taunt to the Vita-Saw.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented the game from running on Fat32 systems.
    • Fixed a problem with the Sackston Hale achievement sometimes not being awarded correctly.
    • Fixed the holiday gamestartup sound files being included in the random startup selection after the holiday is over.
    • Fixed numerous WebAPI issues.
    • Fixed a Heavy exploit that let him run at full speed while shooting.
    • Fixed a Frontier Justice exploit that let Engineers have infinite crits for their current life/round.
    • Fixed the shotgun reload animations for the Soldier/Pyro/Heavy looping endlessly.
    • Fixed the Medigun charge percent for other players being steppy.
    • Fixed not being able to light arrows after the first arrow is fired unless they're drawn back.
    • Updated the localization files

Left 4 Dead 2

Spoiler
    Show

Competitive Modes
    • Removed Special Infected spawn music in competitive modes.
    • Added a glow outline to the witch, visible only to the infected team.
    • Added cvar “director_allow_infected_bots” for confogl and other configs.
    • Survivor health glow changes:
    • Adjusted glow color transitions to match movement speed transitions.
    • Use combined regular and temp health when calculating glow color.
    • Glow pulses slightly when the Survivor is on temp health.
    • Realism Versus
    • Cut Special Infected spawn times by half in Realism Versus.

All
    • Fixed limping Survivors moving slightly faster in water.
    • Fixed voice recording intermittently stopping on Mac OS X
    • Client-side plugins
    • Clients must run with –insecure to load unsigned plugins.
    • Insecure clients cannot connect to secure servers.
    • Servers can opt to allow insecure clients by running with –insecure.
    • Secure clients can connect to both secure and insecure servers.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Sweet. Lugermorphs went Vintage. /scheme

Also, I've become really bored with L4D2 of late. How good are you guys here? Everytime I pub (it's usually me and a friend), we end up causing the other team to ragequit.

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    How good are you guys here?
    We range from good to terrifying. Good being able to hold their own, terrifying being Djinn's tanks. Or my obsession with Ellis. Though that's not skill, it is still terrifying.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

17. - Top - End - #857

Imp

Two things to note:

Poker Night has a release date: Monday the 22nd!

Valve sneaked a new, currently unobtainable item into TF2 - the Companion Cube Pin.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

18. - Top - End - #858

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    We range from good to terrifying. Good being able to hold their own, terrifying being Djinn's tanks. Or my obsession with Ellis. Though that's not skill, it is still terrifying.
    It takes one type of person to like something or someone, and you can like it as much or as little as you want.

But it takes another type of person to be fanatical about it. That is a skill.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Valve sneaked a new, currently unobtainable item into TF2 - the Companion Cube Pin.
    Which I suspect is going to be an award for this competition.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-11-19 at 07:49 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I assumed it would be a 'preorder Portal 2' award.

Edit: Oh, wait. April 2011. OK, probably not.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-11-19 at 07:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

I would so love to play Left 4 daed 2 with some giants right now.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Really hope it's promotional, as I want that so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

23. - Top - End - #863

Kobold

20 minutes until The Room

24. - Top - End - #864

Does anyone know how to resize the TF2 window outside of the game. On my Linux distro it's kind of hard to do it in game because the options button is off the screen.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    What's the average finishing score on say, Dark Carnival?

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    Does anyone know how to resize the TF2 window outside of the game. On my Linux distro it's kind of hard to do it in game because the options button is off the screen.
    Window mode? Try dropping down a resolution?

26. - Top - End - #866

Kobold

THE ROOM IT STARTS NOW GO GO GO GET IN HERE

seriously why is no one here this one had so much anticipation

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

But... I'm here...
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

28. - Top - End - #868

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Window mode? Try dropping down a resolution?
    I can't I literally can't open the options menu. It is off the screen. What is the steam command/menu that lets me change resolutions remotely?

29. - Top - End - #869

You mean noone's in...

the lobby!

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

I had to change some tires.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show