New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XVII: /sm_rename "Steam Thread": da]mexitt hr[a vise

By the way:

I was downstairs watching another movie with friends when I got the Death Race invite. I clicked the link, then saw that my internet wasn't really good enough to watch it, so I tabbed away and forgot about it.

About an hour later, I was talking to a sort of conservative, sheltered, religious-type friend about webcomics and I offered to show him Girl Genius. I clicked a window at random so I could Google the comic.

That window turned out to be Death Race, the stream turned out to be working, and the scene playing turned out to be the one where there's the naked woman. Just, screenful of naked woman right there.

Super effective.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    About an hour later, I was talking to a sort of conservative, sheltered, religious-type friend about webcomics and I offered to show him a screenful of naked woman right there.

Super effective.
    I'm a hero.

My sidekick is cupholder girl.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-10-25 at 06:31 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

3. - Top - End - #153
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Aw man

I just noticed I still have "They Live" sitting around unused! I've been meaning to show that for AGES!

Well, that'll be next week's then.
    Oh man... They Live? I am excite.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

By the way:

I was downstairs watching another movie with friends when I got the Death Race invite. I clicked the link, then saw that my internet wasn't really good enough to watch it, so I tabbed away and forgot about it.

About an hour later, I was talking to a sort of conservative, sheltered, religious-type friend about webcomics and I offered to show him Girl Genius. I clicked a window at random so I could Google the comic.

That window turned out to be Death Race, the stream turned out to be working, and the scene playing turned out to be the one where there's the naked woman. Just, screenful of naked woman right there.

Super effective.
    OHOHOHO.

Man Rutskarn, that was priceless. It could cost you a real life friend however...

Did he like Girl Genius?

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

One of the scenes of naked wimmin, of course. But yes, this story pleases me greatly.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2010-10-25 at 08:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    One of the scenes of naked wimmin, of course. But yes, this story pleases me greatly.
    I'm hoping it's the one where Judge Dredd punches his cupholder

EDIT: My superhero power is accumulating in-jokes until my sentences make no sense out of context.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-10-25 at 10:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

EDIT: My superhero power is accumulating in-jokes until my sentences make no sense out of context.
    So... you fight like you are a Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo character then?
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-10-25 at 10:32 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Hell, I didn't even read that as anything but 'Stallone punches his female navigator'. Not until you mentioned it did I realize it was actually quite far off.

We have our own little language and it is awesome.

9. - Top - End - #159

Tangentially related to TF2/Steam, but amusing nonetheless:
    If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is present, does it make a sound?

10. - Top - End - #160

And not Steam or TF2 related but something that I thought was just too cool to not link, Sintel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

An open source short movie made with blender.
    Last edited by Emlyn; 2010-10-25 at 06:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, Sintel. I remember the conversation on mumble when that was released. Verdict was then, as now, disappointment. While the tech improved, Big Buck Bunny was just a better short film. Works as a tech demo, doesn't work as cinema. A pity, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    BE RIGHT BACK BUILDING IMPOSTER A SHRINE.
    Names I own:
    Spoiler
    Show

Darth Mario
    Phase
    Kainozzo(Pending litigation)

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
    Ah, Sintel. I remember the conversation on mumble when that was released. Verdict was then, as now, disappointment. While the tech improved, Big Buck Bunny was just a better short film. Works as a tech demo, doesn't work as cinema. A pity, really.
    To quote a friend "Not a bad story for cramming a 2 hr epic into 12 minutes." It looks good and the story isn't bad, you really can't complain about that.
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

I just watched Sintel, and I enjoyed it. To be fair, I'm not expert on the matter, but I just recommended it to all my friends. Both of them.
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2010-10-25 at 09:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

So L4D2 is downloading. It says it'll be done in 1 day and 8 hours (Mumble's open). Anyone want to play tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShortOne View Post
    So L4D2 is downloading. It says it'll be done in 1 day and 8 hours (Mumble's open). Anyone want to play tomorrow?
    A day?

Geeze. DO you have any neighbors with good wireless who'll let you mooch?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested in some L4D2. I still haven't gotten a chance to play through No Mercy slowly.

17. - Top - End - #167

Kobold

It's not really l4d2 if it doesn't involve screaming and going as fast as possible

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

I would love to, but this week is looking very busy. Sorry, maybe one of the later campaigns.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I need a Familiar Fez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

20. - Top - End - #170

I'm up for a campaign, and maybe versus.
    That's the kind of beard that says, "I'm rugged enough not to shave, but have good enough genetics/grooming habits that I can not consequentially look like a mountain rapist."
    Pokemon available/breedable (5iv):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a big list, ask me. All pokemon will be perfect 5iv unless noted otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3ds Code: 1590-5500-0148

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

So, I had this crazy idea.

Translating XCOM (UFO Defense, though I doubt the others would be harder) to Japanese? Not particularly difficult, especially given that outside of the index it has for weapons and whatnot, the amount of text in the game is hardly huge. The problems aren't with the translation itself, but with two other issues. One is that, while the text bit isn't too hard, someone needs to program it in. And yes, this is precisely the sort of game that would be a hit for anyone with a PC in Japan.

The other issue is that even as a non-profit fan translation patch, I don't know the rules on this stuff. Whoever owns the rights (2K now? I don't know) could quite easily drop the hammer and sue whoever's translating it. Big time. Now, as I said, I don't know how these things work, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So yes. If the above isn't an issue, would anyone here happen to know how to go about dealing with the programming computer-y part of this that will inevitably shatter my tiny neanderthal brain? I kinda want to give this a try, being a translator and all, and it seems fairly easy aside from the aforementioned complications.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #172

I believe that the original X-com game, unpatched, is abandonware. The ones on sale through steam and suchlike have had patches applied to make them work on modern computers better, so you might be alright on the legal fron if its not for profit.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Iiiiiiinteresting. Where would I check this?

Not that it matters. You know, what with the lack of someone to mod it in. Maybe I'll just make some sort of manual. You know, a "refer here for a translation to this" sort of thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #174

Well, Wikipedia seems to indicate that fan translations could indeed be sued, but also that there has been exactly one notable case out of who knows how many.
    I don't have X-Com myself*, so no idea how it's set up. I'm assuming there are no easily accessible text files anywhere in the folder.
    Googling for X-Com mods turned up a few modding forums, though no translations. Still, if they have the know-how to add weapons and other content surely they can find out how to apply translations?
    Might want to look into those.

*Blasphemy, i know .
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

25. - Top - End - #175

Kobold

X-com would never catch on in Japan

It'd get bad reviews for being too easy, user-friendly, and intuitive.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm in for a campaign. But only if I get to hog the chainsaws.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

if you look at it, there are a bunch of fan translations that have not caught legal fire for some reason or another. Front Mission on the SNES, Secret of Mana 2, Tales of Phantasia, MOTHER 3....and these are only ones I've played. I know there was one for BASTARD!!!, Radical Dreamers which was released on the Satellaview add-on had a translation as well, including reviews on the game and the quality of the patch.

I don't know why companies don't get so miffed about the whole thing, but maybe they view it as non threatening. I remember for the MOTHER 3 fan strategy guide they asked Nintendo if making a strategy guide was legal and their response was "The underground strategy guide market is very big in Japan. Since we aren't making the guide and you're not reselling it as our property, we have no problem with it." Maybe that's how they view ROM patches?
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

28. - Top - End - #178

I'd be game.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Iiiiiinteresting. Thanks.

So. Should I keep the thread up to date on that, then? If this goes anywhere, I mean. Which it likely won't.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    So, I had this crazy idea.

Translating XCOM (UFO Defense, though I doubt the others would be harder) to Japanese? Not particularly difficult, especially given that outside of the index it has for weapons and whatnot, the amount of text in the game is hardly huge. The problems aren't with the translation itself, but with two other issues. One is that, while the text bit isn't too hard, someone needs to program it in. And yes, this is precisely the sort of game that would be a hit for anyone with a PC in Japan.

The other issue is that even as a non-profit fan translation patch, I don't know the rules on this stuff. Whoever owns the rights (2K now? I don't know) could quite easily drop the hammer and sue whoever's translating it. Big time. Now, as I said, I don't know how these things work, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So yes. If the above isn't an issue, would anyone here happen to know how to go about dealing with the programming computer-y part of this that will inevitably shatter my tiny neanderthal brain? I kinda want to give this a try, being a translator and all, and it seems fairly easy aside from the aforementioned complications.
    As far as legal matters go, based on stories I've heard, the first step is normally an angry letter demanding that you scrap the project. Most big companies are aware that us humble fans don't have the funds to even risk being taken to court over this, and would very quickly drop the idea to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbrush View Post
    I believe that the original X-com game, unpatched, is abandonware. The ones on sale through steam and suchlike have had patches applied to make them work on modern computers better, so you might be alright on the legal fron if its not for profit.
    Just because it's abandonware doesn't mean it's exempt from copyright. Abandonware still belongs to the company that owns it, it's just a question of wether or not they feel the need to sue you for using it. More often than not they won't, but it still doesn't make it legal.