New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

i am so planning to run a f inal fantasy i capaign and make it some twists and turn my way
    Last edited by kaiten619; 2012-10-13 at 03:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since this thread hasn't been updated in a while, I assume that you have finished modifying the game, Dust? This question is really borne out of curiosity rather than any kind of "GM's need to know"....

3. - Top - End - #903
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    Since this thread hasn't been updated in a while, I assume that you have finished modifying the game, Dust? This question is really borne out of curiosity rather than any kind of "GM's need to know"....
    I believe she's been taking a break because of it being a constant project for a really long time.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #904

That's more or less the case. Also that, in a lot of ways, I consider things to be mostly done. There's a bunch of rule fixes and clarifications in the current pdf I've got that were much-needed, fixing huge glaring errors like how Limit Breaker is totally dumb and you can't buy upgrades for a special vehicle/etc, but I was hoping to get the visual overhaul (see point 2 below) done before uploading it.
    Other than just generally keeping an eye on game balance and exploitive combos, the main things I have left on my plate are;

• Another sit-down playtest regarding bosses at all levels and purely-offensive glass-cannon parties, and brainstorming what can be done boss survivability without making fights a game of rocket tag.
    • Re-do the entire book in a nicer format.
    • Limit Breaks need more options, and that means moar playtesting, blegh.
    • Update the old bestiary to be in line with current rules and release that as a standalone pdf.
    • Website. Double blegh.

And that's really about it.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-10-22 at 09:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Pixie in the Playground

take your time Dust. i just love it so far. i am jsut wondering if any of you made a 1 shot for the system

6. - Top - End - #906

Final Fantasy...doesn't do one-shots very well. I know that there are forum members who have run games. I'm still running my play-test, technically. It might be possible to put together some-thing like a chapter for game-play, but...Final Fantasy is usually so big that making a one-shot seems...

Well, I would find it difficult.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Pixie in the Playground

i see. looks like i might have to make a side quest as one shot to see how that goes

8. - Top - End - #908
    Barbarian in the Playground

What might work would be a small quest which is intended to be a component of an epic. More of a dish than a meal, if you get the drift. Something that might be a component of a hero's tale, but not the entirety.
    Some examples of events from Square's games that might work as inspiration:
    Rescuing Margie (Xenogears)
    Blowing up the MAKO reactors (FF7)
    Saving Marquis Elmdor (FFT)
    Retrieving medicine from the Antlion (FF4)
    Securing the radio tower in the battle at Dollet (FF8)
    Festival of the Hunt (FF9)
    That said, Dust is taking a break from things, so perhaps someone else could patch something together.

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    What might work would be a small quest which is intended to be a component of an epic. More of a dish than a meal, if you get the drift.

That's a great suggestion, Vauron. I was thinking some-thing similar. Those examples are good too. Even for a custom snippet all one has to do is start with a single problem. Add a few non-player-characters from which the player-characters can gain information. Add some mystery between the Party and the Goal, such as exploring new places or searching known ones. Add in a few small combat-related encounters for flavor with Gil and Health-boosting items as rewards. And then perhaps one Level-Appropriate notorious monster / opponent which the Party must defeat in order to achieve the Goal.

...and I'd call that a sensible one-shot. Some-thing which did have a significant sense of risk and accomplishment.

I suppose I should also recommend moving further conversation in this line to a separate thread.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-10-24 at 01:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910

Someone mailed in and told me about how they used a plastic dog chew-toy....you know, the kind that you squeeze to make noise?...to mimic the sound that Moogles made. He used that to introduce new players to the setting and run a very, very awesome one-shot that involved an airship heist, a la Serenity.
    So they do happen, but it tends to be rare!

11. - Top - End - #911
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Random thought. What if you pick either physical or magical damage to specialize in at character creation? The one you pick uses your full power stat and the other uses half, or choose to use 3/4s for both or something.

Helps make a mage not be able to do only slightly worse then the fighter at beating somethings ass with a sword.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

How would that interact with job changes?

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

You'd need a new stat, like Spirit/Wisdom to give support casters and provide general magic defence/resistance, while leaving Mind to attack casters and as secondary stat for utility/dexterity classes.

The division between strength/power and magic/intellect are pretty much the only consistent stats throughout the FF universes I think.

Other than that, it's a wonderful system. I particularly like the Complications on difficulty checks, it turns bad luck into a tension-building experience rather than simply stymieing everyone.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    How would that interact with job changes?
    You decide for each class? This was an idea that just popped into my head, don't expect alot of thought.
    Last edited by wiimanclassic; 2012-10-27 at 01:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The question was just an invitation to riff and build on the idea.

I think it might be interesting if characters were stuck with the focus they chose at creation, or had a way to change it that was separate from their job changes. They might have a more consistent identity as they switch through different jobs, you know?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd see having shared magic/physical Power being a Shared Job ability they have to choose and/or an inherent ability of Red Mages, considering their abilities towards shenanigans.

I'd aim for 3/4 rather than 1/2, though. Specializations aside, if you give a player an option for...

A)An attack that's boring, but does 34 (Before armor) damage, and
    B)An attack that's cinematic, but does 26 (before armor) damage,

true roleplayers will go for the cinematic option, while powergamers will always go for the boring option. But if you give them...

A)Boring, but 34 and
    B)cinematic, but 17,

Many players will worry that their cinematic option won't even scratch the enemy's paint, so even the roleplayers will go with the boring option.

That being said, I've got a new group that's still running with old rules...I'm considering asking them if they want to update. I'm still not crazy over the skill points being set by class alone, nor the Power-pumping shenanigans, but I just might get them to update for the purposes of playtesting.

17. - Top - End - #917

...might be interesting to have a number of skill points for a character type. Major and player characters get the most. Side-kicks, assistance, and minor villains next, then lower level non-player characters.

...too much trouble for the reward, I think.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So out of curiosity, is there another update to this, or a homepage or whatnot? Just wondering since I know sometimes you cannot always post it. I enjoy this system, using it both for a few campaigns as well as a Homebrew Tactical/RPG board game, me and a friend are making.

The only thing I found really weird was the Knights of the Round Summon. I get why ya did it, but still just weird having only three of the thirteen. I do like the fact that you incorporated summons from other games, so many FFVI characters go unused in that aspect.

Can't wait for the next thing.

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwerret View Post
    So out of curiosity, is there another update to this, or a homepage or whatnot?
    Obligatory Answer To Repetitive Question

No offense meant, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Someone mailed in and told me about how they used a plastic dog chew-toy....you know, the kind that you squeeze to make noise?...to mimic the sound that Moogles made. He used that to introduce new players to the setting and run a very, very awesome one-shot that involved an airship heist, a la Serenity.

Such a great idea!!!

20. - Top - End - #920

I suppose there's really no reason for me to sit on the current version of the book while I spend a few months playtesting. Thus, the updated version is now live. From this point onward I'll be keeping a changelog. Apologies for not doing that earlier - I'm a derp when it comes to some of the game design essentials.

The book still has those nagging visual problems that drive me absolutely crazy. I see the info boxes in the job sections and feel downright embarrassed. Again, the main reason I hadn't released this prior was because I've been trying to improve the graphical quality of the book more than anything else. My personal favourite is trying to copy-paste lines from the job section.
    You can download the straight microsoft word doc here if you like, but be aware it hasn't been compressed at all and the file size is downright nasty.

Folks who are looking for major, sweeping changes are going to be disappointed. Nothing but little tweaks here and there for the most part. Melee mages are still totally untouched, for example (ZOMG).
    I know if might seem like I don't LISTEN sometimes, but rest assured that I really am jotting down and considering every PM and email you send to me.

Next on the list my continued attempts to make it not look bad, a website, the Bestiary, going back and revising the spell lists and improving limit breaks. In roughly that order.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-11-02 at 09:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Exclamation Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Dust, I was working on documenting changes in a google doc (PM me if you want to look at it, as it is an open edit document).

I noticed something possibly overpowered with White Mage.

Overflow grants instant healing equal to 25% of a White Mage's Max HP to the target of a Single-Target White Magic spell on an ally.
    Esuna is considered a White Magic Spell.
    Esuna can now be cast as an instant action when the white mage is at 25% or lower HP.

The consequence? The White Mage, when she gets to 25% or lower hp, can, in a single turn, heal everyone of almost every status effect and ALSO heal them to max hp. All for very little MP.

I recommend an Errata to Esuna that states:
    A character at 25% health or less may cast this spell as an Instant action instead. Casting Esuna with this method cannot trigger the effects of Overflow.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

cool Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Next on the list my continued attempts to make it not look bad, a website, the Bestiary, going back and revising the spell lists and improving limit breaks. In roughly that order.
    I recommend a wikia, with all 'official pages' locked so only you can edit them.
    This would allow for comments to be made in Talk pages, and for you to track changes as you make them.

I am a professional web designer by trade, and I am willing to offer my services Pro Bono (without cost) on helping you design your website/wiki. Just PM me and we can talk.

~Webmetz/DruidJP585/JP585
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2012-11-02 at 02:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Here is the thing though. Esuna is a limit ability, which if I read it right, it can only be used once a round. Or does that only apply for limits that require destiny points?

24. - Top - End - #924
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwerret View Post
    Here is the thing though. Esuna is a limit ability, which if I read it right, it can only be used once a round. Or does that only apply for limits that require destiny points?

Limit Abilities (the slightly more powerful abilities you get at 5/10) != Limit Breaks (the flashy super attacks you get roughly whenever your DM feels like it and can only be used once a round).

In response to the new opening post:

Gambler: Hahahaha no. A lot of gambler's class abilities are really nice, but being shackled to an innate that can utterly devastate a party in the situations you'd be wanting to use it (need that healing from Valiant Reels against a tough boss? TOO BAD NO HEALING EVERRRRR) makes it almost entirely a class that everyone in my group uses for dipping, and not as a main class. The fact that they need to purchase at least one, probably more (admittedly good) job abilities to gain at least a reasonable chance of not screwing the party over is really, really problematic.

Three possible suggestions for what to do to address it:
    1: Change Slots to a 2d6-with-a-pool-of-effects roll, like Wildfire or, I guess, like Geotrance. Upside: Easy to use and less chance of busts. Downside: More reading.
    2: Make Busts less devastating. Upside: Makes people more likely to use Slots. Downside: Doesn't actually solve the problem of Busts happening so frequently.
    3: Change Slots to a 3d4 roll. Upside: Less chance of Busting. Downside: Way less chance of Busting; this system ain't called FFd4.

In regards to Black Mage: Perhaps slapping on a 'when you are at 100% health, you can spend extra mp to do extra damage' sort of Turbo MP deal?

25. - Top - End - #925

Quote Originally Posted by DruidJP585 View Post
    A character at 25% health or less may cast this spell as an Instant action instead. Casting Esuna with this method cannot trigger the effects of Overflow.
    Consider this change to be immediate errata. Didn't even occur to me.

I am willing to offer my services Pro Bono (without cost) on helping you design your website/wiki. Just PM me and we can talk.
    I'd be a fool not to take you up on that. Will contact you soon.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Been struggling to build a Engineer that is up to par with the other classes, but I am left troubled on how to balance stats in order to take advantage of salvage, clockwork tools, and opposed rolls in general.

So I came up with some thoughts:

I believe Clockwork tools should be updated to say 'opposed roll' or 'force or finnesse roll' rather then Force Roll, like Salvage, for the status inflicting tools. Most other job abilities which apply a status effect say opposed roll now.

--------

Do clockwork tools and pandora's box work when Sealed, since Seal states that 'Job abilities that involve you commanding a companion or operating a device' still work. If those aren't devices, I don't know what is.

-------

Engineers used to be the only class to be able to gain and use Refined items. Then it was Refined items were only procurable from constructs via Salvage... now there is currently no way to obtain refined items at all despite them being listed on the beastiary.
    I think Refined items should somehow make its way back into the current version of Engineer. Perhaps retrievable via rolling the Scavenge skill.
    Special: Refined Items
    The engineer may use Scavenge once at the end of any combat to attempt scavenge a refined item from a permanently defeated enemy. ...
    Refined items used to be what the engineers were all about... I miss them.

----------

Out of all the classes, Engineers are the most 'item based'. I think they should have a way to use a stat other then PWR on damage items like Bomb Cores. DEX, MND, or highest attribute perhaps. Could possibly be packaged with Inguenity or Chemist.

------------------------------
    NON ENGINEER THOUGHT: Magic

Speaking of DEX. Since Black Magic lightning spells now have dex damage, I think it would only be fair that a close sister element of wind should as well. What I am talking about is that the following spells should have the PWR for single, DEX for group damage treatment as well:
    Aero, Aerora, Aeroga, Tornado
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2012-11-04 at 06:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #927

I believe Clockwork tools should be updated to say 'opposed roll' or 'force or finnesse roll' rather then Force Roll, like Salvage, for the status inflicting tools. Most other job abilities which apply a status effect say opposed roll now.
    This'll see some tweaks in the future, but probably not in the eliminating-MAD way you're hoping for. Still, I agree that calling for Force checks by both parties doesn't really work as well as it could.

Do clockwork tools and pandora's box work when Sealed...
    I'll include more examples of job abilities that involve things like Pandora's Box in the next update. The answer is yes to both examples.

despite them being listed on the beastiary
    That gosh-darn Leafer!

Refined items used to be what the engineers were all about... I miss them.
    I thought it was a great idea at first, too. But then we had an entire class based around being able to use black magic IF the GM did extra work, and then Engineers had the tendency to store their refined items for weeks of play and ended up being sub-par in your average encounter in order to unload on bosses and stuff. Not only did that make it hard to balance, it also wasn't really fun for your average player.
    I'm not sure Invent is anything to go bonkers over yet unless you REALLY love the Support role, but it's a better starting point.

Out of all the classes, Engineers are the most 'item based'. I think they should have a way to use a stat other then PWR on damage items like Bomb Cores. DEX, MND, or highest attribute perhaps. Could possibly be packaged with Inguenity or Chemist.
    I can definitely see this happening. It might even warrant it's own ability to try and bring back some of the explosive-item-chuckin' the Engineer used to have via Refined.
    I'll think about this for the next update along with making Salvage less situational.

What I am talking about is that the following spells should have the PWR for single, DEX for group damage treatment as well: Aero, Aerora, Aeroga, Tornado
    I can see that happening, too.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-11-04 at 07:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey Dust how did you go about making the monster stat blocks? I love the way they look!

29. - Top - End - #929
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingsystem View Post
    Hey Dust how did you go about making the monster stat blocks? I love the way they look!
    My next project is to replicate it in css like I did the info block.
    http://webmetz.com/FFD6/index.php
    Currently has:
    [LIST][*]Ability/Monster Category label, without crystal/monster [*]Info box.

All I need to to finish the html version of ability labels and the beastiary is the following:
    • Transparent background icons for the elements. (Only the solid ones, I can make them partially transparent if needed).
    • Transparent background icons for the status effects. (Only the solid ones, I can make them partially transparent if needed).
    • Transparent background Images for each color of crystal.

I can successfully turn any image into a circle with a white border, as long as it would center correctly a square of the same width and height.
    I won't be able to curve the beastiary label text, but I can still position it on top of the image.
    While it might be simpler to just make the Boss/Notorious labels images, If someone can find me a open-use font (not licensed) that looks like the Boss or Notorious labels, I could make them selectable and changeable text.

Someone choose one of the beastiary blocks in the manual and I'll start making a replica
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2012-11-05 at 03:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hi, I've been running a campaign and while I won't have any house rules just yet, if I were to run a new campaign I would have one major set of rule changes I want to share.

Whenever a damage formula is shown Power can be used instead.

Reach and Huge weapons use Resolve like Blades do now.

Earth and Shadow element spells use Resolve, Wind and Thunder uses Dexterity, Water and Ice uses Mind, and while Fire uses Power only, it gets a single tier higher.

The purpose of these rules are to allow for specialization to be rewarded yet while still allowing power to be the "generalist" stat. Now a fighter who uses Power can be a master of many weapons (Ranged and Concealed included,) while a Fighter who focuses Resolve is a physical melee specialist who rarely falters in combat, and a Fighter who favors Dexterity is an agile striker who is rarely touched.
    Last edited by scarecrowjld; 2012-11-05 at 02:16 PM.