OOC LINK
    {table=head] Character name | Class | Alignment | Race | Player
    Daron Ryuukishi | Limit Dragoon | N(C) | Human | DMofDarkness
    Casimir von Troublink | Beguiler | TN | Gnome | Fyrebyrd
    Artorien| Cloistered Cleric | NG | Half-elf | abadguy
    Carcer Brocktree | Barbarian | CN | Human | Tyrael
    Otacustis | Psion| TN | Changeling| Maeglin_Dubh
    Thomas de'Glyn | Swordsage | TN | Human | drakir_nosslin[/table]

They had given you a simple, wrapped package before shoving you into this wagon. They had said that you'd find what you needed currently in the package, and it would help you figure things out while you entered the city. They told you that, since you needed to blend in, that you'd be given a lump sum of gold, to be used on housing, and then you would need to figure out a way to contact them once you found a suitable place to stay. And they told you that you needed to lay low while you moved in.

Around the wagon is an odd look of people, all of which seem to be just as addled as you are. They have similar packages to yours, which all have a note of 'open and read quickly'. The rain outside is pouring, making the air freeze you to the bone. You had not said anything for the past two hours of the trip, either from being in shock that they asked you to do something so... drastic, or in fear of something worse than death. After all, you've heard stories. The City State of Sheis-ra has access to cruel methods of torture you've only read about.

So here is where you stand in life. Sent away from your homeland, on what you think is a suicide mission, which they call a 'Game Changer', and left with only with five other strangers and a 'package'. The wagon holds out the rain, but not the cold, and you are all wrapped in blankets that the driver provided. The package is made of a heavy paper, held together with heavy yarn.
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Cardea's A Simple Task - IC

Carcer Brocktree sits with his back to the wall of the covered wagon, an enormous blade resting behind him next to a long spear. A belt of throwing knives crosses his chest and a morningstar hangs from his belt. A black breastplate and pauldrons armors his upper body, and a dagger sits at his belt. The man's face is haggard and suspicious, eyeing his fellow travelers with wary eyes as he balances the package on his lap.

"I hate rain," he grumbles to no one in particular.
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2010-11-01 at 10:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Casimir's naturally gregarious nature has been significantly dampened in the last few days. He glanced around once more at the rest of the people in the wagon, as they clutched their packages as if they were a life-line. The little gnome sighed deeply, how many times had he been in this situation before, how many times had a member of the Deintalla intelligence told him that he had been given "What he Needed", when what he really needed was to be left alone.

He glanced around again, he worked alone, less chance of a con going wrong if there were others around to foolishly get in the way of his patter.

He pulls a set of playing cards and begins shuffling them in many different ways
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of Hand:(1d20+3)[5]

As he shuffles he takes his eye off the cards for a second, and they burst from his hand, falling all over the wagon. He grins at everyone else, as he quickly picks them up, "Anyone for cards?" he asks innocently.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Way to get my bad rolls out of the way quickly!
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2010-11-02 at 04:42 AM.
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

4. - Top - End - #4

{table]| Close cropped black hair and neatly trimmed beard frames Artorien's features. He has the slightly pointed ears, typical of a half elf, with the strong jaw and cheeks of from his human parentage. He has none of the frailness from his elven blood, in fact, his frame is rather robust despite his bookish demeanour. Most of his clothing is of earthy tones, well worn and patched up by years on the road. A large quiver of arrows is slung onto his back, a sword and a rapier adorn his thighs. He grasps a sturdy-looking yew bow, the superb craftsmanship and intricate carvings are proof of the love and care poured into the making of the bow. A wooden holy symbol of Sehanine Moonbow on a leather thong adorns his neck, the only overt statement of Artorien's faith and profession. His fingers are ink stained and the look on his face is earnest. Artorien stares intently at the gnome. So small, yet so robust, he observes, almost like a ... friendly dwarf!He smiles at the gnome and politely declines his offer of a game and instead pulls out his journal and begins scribbling furiously, the mysterious package almost forgotten on top of his backpack.[/table]
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You. You and your natural 20s. Why do you hog them? Why?

5. - Top - End - #5

Thomas de'Glyn

Sitting cross legged, back against the side of the wagon Thomas opens his eyes when the gnome says something about a game of cards. This adventure hasn't started as he thought. Not at all. When the young noble received the letter asking him personally to join the war he never thought that it would be like this. He wanted to fight honorable, to meet his opponents in the field of battle and prove his superiority there. Instead he had been sent away like this, undercover unable to talk about his assignment. But honor demanded that he gave all he had to ensure that the mission succeeded. And that included getting along with the rest of the group, no matter what kind of people they were.

Smiling, he looked at the gnome.
    "Cards you say? Sure, what do we play?"
    Thomas edges forward a bit, in order to be able to reach the middle of the wagon. He pulls the blanket closer around his body.
    "I'm up for anything, as long as it takes the mind off this weather."
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Waking up from his light nap, Daron stares dully over at the group. He has mossy brown hair, blue eyes locked in a bored expression. He had a normal, somewhat generic, but somewhat handsome face, and an average body. He wasn't particularly stocky or thin, or particularly muscular or lean, but something in between. The way he carries himself, though, indicates great strength and stamina, and the dull-ish look in his eyes betray a great sorrow of some kind in his past. Slung around his back was a lance carved of a glossy black material, ominous and dark, with a sheen like that of oil on water all over it, making for an ominous sight. In his scabbard around his waist, he carries a short sword, and he has a pack slung against hit back. Resting next to him is a skullcap shaped like a dragon's head, and the glittering metal of his chain mail seems alive and moving, rippling like the scales on a snake. A long scar runs down his face over his right eye, starting just above his eyebrow and ending just under his chin. As he sees the cards, he gets up and moves over to the group. Deal me a hand, please. I need something to do on this trip. Looking around at the group, he says conversationally, Nice weather we're having, eh? We need a good storm every now and then. Often more than that. His eyes mist over as if recalling a memory, before refocusing on the individuals near him. Just curious, what do you all think is in the packages?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-11-04 at 08:31 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Casimir deals the cards to those that wanted in, "A simple game," he comments, "Yet with many variables. Truth? Luck? Judgement? Belief? Bravery? Lies?" he smirks as he lays down his cards, "All are needed in this game, and in the wider one to follow I presume."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm thinking it's probably easiest not to play for money in the card game, it just gives us something to do while we are traveling, and can serve as a conversation starter. I'm not intending on saying, Casmir lays a pair of 3's or anything like that!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Carcer shrugs in response to Daron. "Why don't you open it and find out?"

9. - Top - End - #9

It would seem pretty greedy of me if I just started tearing into the package, and I don't care for bad first impressions. Secondly, they said that whatever was in these would give us what we needed- if it was a spell that was in there, possibly a glamer or a spell that could create objects, it would be pretty wasteful to open it now when I'm not in need of it's effects. It's quite possible that it's just identification forms for the city. I'm not saying that I want to open it right now- but I am curious to what might be inside. He says in response to Carcer, and then turning towards Casimir, he asks, So, what game did you have in mind? I'm fond of three-dragon ante myself, if you have a deck on you.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-11-04 at 08:30 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Thomas

"Yes, the package is interesting and I hope that whatever's inside proves to be as useful as it is mysterious right now."
    He says, and smiles. Picking up his cards, he looks first at Casimir and then at Daron.
    "And three-dragon ante sounds good. It was a while since I played it, but I think that I remember the rules, otherwise you can just fill me in as we play. Who goes first?"
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

11. - Top - End - #11

Artorien, suddenly remembering the package, is slightly surprised no one has opened theirs yet. He keeps his journal and writing implements and begins opening his package.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Arterion opens up the small package, and from it falls several platinum pieces, and inside it still, is a scroll, a piece of blank paper with a small vial of ink with a quill, some string, some rope, a lock and key, and, lastly, a small note.

Upon Inspection of the Note
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scroll contains one use of Sending, as prepared by some of our Arcanists. The paper is for keeping notes for yourself. The string is just because, as is the rope. The Lock and Key is provided because, hey, they get pricey. It's a fine quality, one of our best types. Stay safe. Tell no one. Keep your heads down.

Each of your squad mates has a similar package to this one.

A voice calls from the front of the wagon. "Thirty minutes in!"

13. - Top - End - #13

Daron shrugs. It's enough time to play a few hands. But at least now we know what's in the package. He opens up his own package, slips the coins into his pouch, and the rest of it into his backpack after he reads the slip. He sighs, and then takes off his chain shirt, revealing a dull brown traveler's robe, and drapes it over his lance. Taking his helmet and hanging it on the shirt by means of tiny hooks in the base of the skullcap, he tosses it somewhat reluctantly out the back of the wagon after giving a short, terse whistle. You hear a slight ripping noise, like that of a tearing parchment, but not the heavy weight you would expect of a chain shirt falling to the ground. As you look out the back, you don't see the equipment on the road, nor any indication that it had fallen. Sighing, Daron sits back in his place with the group, and picks up his cards.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

A man with middling-length brown hair and unremarkable facial features sits wrapped in a wool cloak dyed a drab, unmemorable brown. The very dimness of his appearance matches the dreadful weather.

Eyes closed, he runs through faces in his head. Faces of people he had seen, people he could become. He might need all of them for this job...

On hearing the noise of paper ripping, he allows his concentration to waver. He realizes he has been ignoring his own package in his preparations, something he should probably take into account as he chooses disguises. He slips out a dagger and cuts the strings carefully to see what it contains.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Casimir distributes the cards, and looks at Daron, "You're up first!" he comments, a sly grin appearing on his features. While he awaits Daron's move, he quickly opens his package and groans, "Yet again they provide me with everything I don't need!" He sorts through, "Paper: already got!, Ink: already got!, Pen: Already got!, Rope: Already got!, At least, the lock and key and string might be useful."
    He stows the lock, key, paper, ink, pen, and scroll in his backpack, and the string in a small belt pouch. He waves the rope around, "I've already got rope, and can't really carry anymore, so anyone want it?" He tosses it on the floor of the wagon. Then adjusting his rapier to sit more comfortably, he destroys the note by eating it.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that the packagae is exactly the same for all of us?

I also assume that the rope is hemp?

Exactly how many Platinum Pieces?
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2010-11-05 at 05:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Thomas

Thomas looks curiously at Casimir as the gnome swallows the last of his note.
    "Huh, is that really necessary? I mean, I've never done anything like this before, never been in the war at all."
    He looks down into his hand of cards, as if trying to hide behind them before continuing.
    "So, well, what I mean is that I'm not really good at this stuff. I guess I'm here because I know quite a lot about Sheis-ra's nobles and stuff like that. And, hmm, I guess I got a lot to learn from all of you."
    He nods at Casimir.
    "I didn't bring anything like, well, like you. No rope and things like that. Didn't even expect us having to use such things."
    As he continues to play, the young noble opens up his package as well, coils the rope and secures it to his belt with the lock. With the string he makes a simple necklace which he keeps the key on. The rest of the items he puts in various pockets on his person.
    After looking one more time at Casimir he too eats his note.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Casimir chuckles, "Well I'm by profession a spy," he said, "But by nature a con-artist. So all this seems fairly simple to me." He pauses and looks at his hand one more time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of hand:(1d20+3)[7]

He flips a card out of his sleeve, and it pings off Thomas' nose. Then he grins disarmingly, "Rule 1: Never believe everything you're told!" He winks at Thomas slyly. Then turns to address the rest of them, "Are we splitting up once we get to the city or do we stick together?"
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2010-11-06 at 09:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

We should probably split up. Individual people are less suspicious going into a city than a large group. After we establish ourselves, we should be able to figure out a means of communication. If we wind up meeting each other at some point, we might be able to just talk about this stuff. I'll probably be at the blacksmith's forge, if you need me.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Thomas

At Daron's suggestion that they split up into one man teams Thomas looks up and shakes his head.
    "I'd rather go with someone, as I'm not very good at all this infiltration stuff. Besides, how much more suspicious will it be with two travelers arriving together? The roads are dangerous enough that people are scared enough to team up with complete strangers against bandits and deserters from the war."
    The young man looks around, searching for support for his idea.
    "Besides, if we're going to stay a longer period it's probably cheaper to buy a house instead of staying at an inn or renting a room, don't you think? I mean, if we're a few sharing the cost."
    He shrugs, before looking down at his cards again.
    "Maybe we should go through the gates in smaller teams, but meet up once inside?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Groups of people will inevitably draw interest. If we start meeting for no reason, other people might ask what we're talking about. No matter what our answer is, someone else will be interested and try to join. If we let them in, the purpose of the group is ruined. If we don't, they'll get suspicious, and we're in trouble. It's better to probably live alone and perhaps make regular contact with everyone else here, but forming a group may be a bad idea. And a group of people suddenly coming into a town and collaboratively buying a house? It's sure to raise at least some eyebrows.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Artorien wonders if there was more to the package than meets the eye. String, rope, parchment, ink and quill, lock and key? He discreetly begins casting Detect Magic to see if the items had any sort of enchantment to them.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

"Well you'll probably find me on ahandy street corner" Casimir says with a wink, "Gotta practice my shuffling skills!"

He gathers up the cards, and replaces them in his pouch as he assumes they are close to the city now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Carcer sighs. "So we all split up and join the army separately, then have occasional meetings?" he recaps and nods in agreement. "I can deal with that. Where/when will the first one be?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Thomas

As the rest of the group seems to agree on splitting up Thomas simply nods.
    "If you all think this is indeed the wisest way, that's how we'll do it." He looks around, taking care to memorizing the faces of those who are infiltrating the city along with himself.
    "We are going to need a way to contact each other. I for one have no knowledge of the arcane, so I suggest a sign of some sort. Maybe just a small symbol scribbled on a wall somewhere, meaning that we all meet at a specific place at the next Sunday? Simple, but hard to stumble upon by others."
    The young man pulls the blanket closer around himself and continues.
    "I am going to try to get closer to the court, probably as a servant or bodyguard. If we are splitting up, it might be wise to try to cover as many different areas of the city as possible. Each of us going to where they fit in the most."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"You'll be startin' off in the Traveler's District! From there, the heads up want you to try and gain influence with the smaller towns! Minor tasks and the like!" The same voice shouts, from the head of the wagon. "Enterin' the city! Get yer' s**t packed and ready to go!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's approx. 8 platinum pieces in each package.

26. - Top - End - #26

We'll meet by the front gate after we get situated. Following this, let's arrange for, say, a weekly poker game. There, we can meet at each other's houses and pass messages all we want, and no one will think anything of it. In this way, we can collaborate. If others want to join in, we let them, but we stay after to clean up, or arrive early if they want to help. Thus, we blend in, and we have a good reason for meeting in someone's house every week. No suspicion, no problems, and we can collaborate. How's that sound to you?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Casimir nods once at Daron's suggestion, "A weekly card game is a good excuse to meet. I would imagine that there will be a tavern near the gate, let us meet there in one week. I will arrive early, and lay some cards on the table. Once you all arrive, you can all ask to join my game, while we play, we can talk. Agreed?"

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So taking DMoD's suggestion and adding to it a little, I'm assuming as in most DnD cities that their is a tavern right next to the city gate!

Incidently, @Cardea can we get a map of the city, however basic?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Walls. Through the narrow opening between the wagon covering and the back of the driver's seat, you can see a wall. High it rises, and in the darkness of the storm, you can see torches on top, being carried by countless guards. Closer you come to them, and they tower higher and higher above you. When they are so close you could reach out and touch them, you hear a gate, large and heavy, being raised. Up ahead, you can hear the Driver talking to some men, and after a slight disagreement, your wagon continues on. The next few minutes are spent in absolute silence.

The wagon stops, and the flaps to the back of the wagon fly open. A middle-aged man with one eye closed shut, a large stomach and a balding pattern atop his head greets you. "Alright boys, 'yer here." He jerks his thumb to a nearby building, a sign hanging overhead which shows a picture of a flying pig. Engraved letters spell out: 'Hogs Over Heels'. "Innkeeper is a friend of mine, and he'll house you 'fer free tonight, anytime after that you'll have to pay yerself." He stands aside from the wagon opening. "Welcome to Sheis-ra."

Spoiler
    Show
    Map will come soon.
    In the meantime, game on.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

"Ahhh, flying pigs, my favourite kind!" Casimir jokes as he steps down, and into the tavern, "A glass of something warm, and fun!" the little gnome calls out to the bartender, as he takes a table in the corner.

30. - Top - End - #30

Artorien joins the friendly dwarf-thing at table. He whisper nervously, "So, urm, what do you think happens next? I don't even know what to do! We were told so little."