New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Dark Heresy Campaign [40k] [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Manticorkscrew View Post
    'So... this is the new life I signed up for, huh?' he said, in a dry, hoarse voice. 'I expected we'd be on a thrilling adventure, like in the pulps, a tall tale of death-defying swashbuckling action and fantastical derring-do. And I was right, I guess. But I didn't realise there'd be so much waiting involved, hah!'

He shook his head, chuckling to himself. Then he turned to his new teammates, one by one. 'What say you?' he said. 'How'd you come to be born again, my friends?'
    I'll be honest, that sounds a lot like how I entered the last 'adventure'. I could almost feel the quotation marks. I killed a daemonhost, and that does tend to get the inquisition's attention. The story behind that, I'd rather not talk about. I look away, trying to avoid thinking of that day.
    Last edited by Norpfang; 2010-11-08 at 03:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teivel View Post
    "You put in much void time yet Gavid? Waiting is a way of life for travelling heroes such as ourselves."
    Gavid had his head in his hands. He was staring at the floor through the gaps in his fingers.

'Until recently I'd never set foot any higher than basement level,' he mumbled. 'This is still quite a new experience for me.'

“Best to turn waiting into an opportunity, read, study, train and pray."
    For a few seconds, Gavid glanced up at Trenton with an odd look on his face, but he didn't say anything. His stomach was churning with a feeling of trepidation. He'd decided he didn't much like void travel.

“Well that's my story spilled, all the boring stuff at least, have to save something for when we get bored.
    'You've had an interesting life,' Gavid murmured. He was lost deep in thought. Trenton's story was so far removed from anything the underhiver had so far experienced that he found it difficult to comprehend. It was completely alien to him.

For most of his short life Gavid had been trapped in but a tiny corner of one small hive. And then they came and took him away from there. They had showed him that the galaxy was vaster and far stranger than anything he could possibly have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Norpfang View Post
    I'll be honest, that sounds a lot like how I entered the last 'adventure'. I could almost feel the quotation marks. I killed a daemonhost, and that does tend to get the inquisition's attention. The story behind that, I'd rather not talk about. I look away, trying to avoid thinking of that day.
    'Did I hear you correctly?' Gavid said, incredulously. He was unable to maintain his composure; his eyes were wide and his jaw dropped in astonishment. 'You killed a DAEMONHOST?!'

Shaking his head wonderingly, unable to think of anything to say, Gavid completely forgot that he was worried about the shuttle launch (for a few minutes, at least). He had no reason to think that the priest might be lying or exaggerating- except that his story seemed so incredible- it was too much- Gavid couldn't quite bring himself to believe that it was true.

'Well, in that case...' He tried to speak, but his voice was ragged and hoarse with excitement. 'The Emperor was truly with you on that day, my friend, so...' He smiled weakly, making the best of a bad joke. 'Why haven't they already hailed you as a saint? What are you doing here with us?'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, "killing a daemonhost" is a feat that only Ascension-level characters can dream of (unless you're really, really lucky). It seems very odd that Serghar is so utterly casual about it.

"Yeah, I killed a Daemonhost. And then I went and defeated an entire Ork horde single-handedly. But then I didn't have anything to do the next day, so I went and booted Khorne up the arse and asked him to make things more difficult for me."

Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-08 at 10:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kalirush for the most excellent Avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Everyone strapped in? I'm not going to promise this will be a smooth trip, but we'll get there in one piece. came a voice from the front of the shuttle, as the captain prepared to depart.
    Characters

Games
    Arda: OOC | IC
    Zombies: OOC | IC
    Islands: OOC | IC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

'Did I hear you correctly?' Gavid said, incredulously. He was unable to maintain his composure; his eyes were wide and his jaw dropped in astonishment. 'You killed a DAEMONHOST?!'

Shaking his head wonderingly, unable to think of anything to say, Gavid completely forgot that he was worried about the shuttle launch (for a few minutes, at least). He had no reason to think that the priest might be lying or exaggerating- except that his story seemed so incredible- it was too much- Gavid couldn't quite bring himself to believe that it was true.

'Well, in that case...' He tried to speak, but his voice was ragged and hoarse with excitement. 'The Emperor was truly with you on that day, my friend, so...' He smiled weakly, making the best of a bad joke. 'Why haven't they already hailed you as a saint? What are you doing here with us?'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, "killing a daemonhost" is a feat that only Ascension-level characters can dream of (unless you're really, really lucky). It seems very odd that Serghar is so utterly casual about it.

"Yeah, I killed a Daemonhost. And then I went and defeated an entire Ork horde single-handedly. But then I didn't have anything to do the next day, so I went and booted Khorne up the arse and asked him to make things more difficult for me."

The daemonhost was as surprised as I was, I can't take credit for it. If you need someone to give the credit to, it's the Emperor. I sigh, and turn away. A saint, hmm? That'd be nice, but I probably don't deserve it. I'd assumed that everyone here had performed some similar feat. Gavid's reaction is probably a good barometer of how people would react to that fact. It would be probably best not to mention it in the future, I'm memorable enough as it is, what with the tattoos...
    I turn to the psyker. Indeed he does.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe really, really lucky more or less described the situation. He still tries not to think about it. (He was traumatized by the event, and viewing a daemonhost isn't something you recover from) I looked at the stats, and if he rolled a 10 three times for damage, while somehow avoiding the daemonhost's attacks, he could maybe manage it. I'm not entirely certain if that is going to be good for his health in the long run, though...
    Last edited by Norpfang; 2010-11-08 at 03:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Trenton's attention was drawn as the cleric relayed his story.

“I don't pretend to be an expert in such things. Such things are not meant for knowing, but I have seen the denizens of the immeterium at work before.”

He sighed, recalling the darkest days of his past.

“Those with talents such as mine, we must endure a constant connection with the beyond, and fend off the chaos that stalks there.”
    He was choosing his words carefully, he had no wish for his companions to fear that he was going to transform into a daemon at any moment. “Not all are strong enough to deny the tempting promises the warp whispers to you, that is why the sanctioning exists in the first place.”

His voice was softer now.

“I saw those too weak, who's faith was lacking taken by things from beyond. Perhaps they were daemons, perhaps not. For all the promises of power however, I never saw anything but healthy young souls reduced to palid wrecks.” Soft as it was hatred was thickly layered throughout his words.

“For all the wives tales of immortality, the Emperor's mercy, a single bolt round to the head, was always sufficient to deny them and their lies. They had no power in a place of wards and faith.”

The Psyker straightens up now, his voice becoming lounder, more definite.

“Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete.”
    He said, 'The spheres of longing' had been amongst his tutors favourite texts. “ A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and girds his soul with the armour of contempt.”

Ravenor's works filled the Schollam's libraries, but that one paragraph alone spoke to him as if the words came from the Emperor himself.

“Defeating such a foe is one thing Cleric. A fatal shot may be attributed to luck or the benevolent intervention of the God Emperor. Perhaps more impressive is the fact that you remain here, uncorrupted, and indeed that you had the will to pull that trigger and deliver the throne's judgement in the face of such horrors.”

Trenton fidgeted with his ring as he spoke, for it reminded him of his own triumph over the lure of chaos that claimed so many psykers, and the salvation the Emperor had granted him.

“Where we are going we will inevitably encounter such darkness. A pull that has seduced an entire community. And should we there prove victorious and continue in the service of the Holy Ordos then it is inevitable we should face such trials again and again.”

That much was perfectly true. If the Inquisitor's briefing was accurate then their objective was an object that had seduced a portion of the population to its worship. What could it be if not Chaos?

“If you are to be our spiritual guide on this journey cleric then I ask that you pray for us all. Pray that we might all sheath ourselves in the armour of contempt.”

Alexei let the words hang in the air for a moment, half silently preying, half wondering if any of the others would recall the source of the quote, it was a standard Schollam text after all.

Then he waited for the Arbitrator to strap in, as soon as he had done so Trenton intended to call forward to the pilot that they were all secured and locked for departure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bold is for emphasis only, he's still speaking low gothic.

Edit: Typos

Last edited by Teivel; 2010-11-09 at 03:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Cain watches intently as the rest of his team are relaying information on their backgrounds. It was a principle of proper investigation, to listen carefully, assess every available detail and then step in. Thus you'd be at most times, better prepared. Truth was though that this time it wasn't merely the wish to exercise his investigation techniques that held him from speaking till now. Something else bothered him, something that Trenton had mentioned. Their mission to uncover corruption was one thing, but the nature of the relic which had caused such unrest and brought civilians from the Light of the Emperor to the unholy worshipping of it was a different matter.

They should obviously handle the situation with much care and be wary, since everyone at the planer might potentially be an apostate and a threat, to the mission's integrity and to themselves.

But for now he had to strap properly in his seat, and possibly fill the rest on some of his life's particulars, till they reached their destination.

((OOC))
    Spoiler
    Show
    [I intend to speak about my character at the team, a bit later during the day, since i must leave now. Part of my election duties in fulfilled, the 2nd part will be in next weekend, so i got 4 more days for proper posting. ]

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler
    Show
    Glossing over things a little bit here

Seeing that everyone was finally strapped in, the captain powers up the shuttle and takes it out of the port and up to the ship in orbit. As warned, the flight was indeed not smooth. Instead you feel like you're bones have been rattled about more than in an ork trukk, but you do make it to the ship in one piece as promised. There are no viewports in this part of the shuttle so you have no chance to see either where you have come from or the ship that you are travelling to from the outside.

Once the shuttle lands in the ships hanger, the captain gives you the all clear to unstrap yourselves and prepare to disembark.

Spoiler
    Show

Could I have 1D10+TB from each of you please. If you get less than 5 then you suffer -10 to WS, BS and AG for the next hour as a result of the battering you suffered on the trip up.
    Characters

Games

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Teivel View Post
    The Psyker straightens up now, his voice becoming louder, more definite.

“Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete.” He said, 'The spheres of longing' had been amongst his tutors favourite texts. “ A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and girds his soul with the armour of contempt.”
    'A poet as well, huh?' Gavid said, quietly. He smiled wanly. 'Seems like I've fallen into illustrious company these days...'

“Defeating such a foe is one thing Cleric. A fatal shot may be attributed to luck or the benevolent intervention of the God Emperor. Perhaps more impressive is the fact that you remain here, uncorrupted, and indeed that you had the will to pull that trigger and deliver the throne's judgement in the face of such horrors.”
    'Yeah. I've heard of hallowed saints who did less.' Gavid grinned, cynically. 'There was that lady whose faith in the almighty God-Emperor was strong enough that she could transform her dirty bath water into beer. Now... that's a power I'd like to have.'

He leaned back in his chair. 'Of course, maybe Haagen was lying to me,' he said, vaguely. 'It wouldn't be the first time.'

Out Of Character:

“Where we are going we will inevitably encounter such darkness. A pull that has seduced an entire community. And should we there prove victorious and continue in the service of the Holy Ordos then it is inevitable we should face such trials again and again.”
    Trenton's grim predictions gave Gavid much pause for thought. He caught a glimpse of what his new life would be like from now on. Again and again he would be plunged into terrible danger, battling all manner of horrors and monstrosities, giving of his own life so that the whole of Mankind would have a better chance. There would be no respite and the rewards would be few. It was a service that would end only in death.

So then... Why had he been so eager to leave his old life behind? What had he hoped to gain? Did he want to prove that he was worthy in the eyes of the Emperor? Many times he'd been told that the God-Emperor never bothered to shine a light down into the slums of the underhive. His mercy and benevolence was only for the rich and powerful. Common folk were as bugs, trampled underfoot. At least, that was what the old master had said... oh, how Gavid hated that man!

It had been a hard life. He'd known a great deal of suffering and cruelty in just a few short years. Survival was the only thing that had meant anything to him. He'd done awful things. He remembered... hot blood dripping from his fingers... scrabbling in the dirt... on his knees, begging and crying... 'Just let me live! I'll do anything!'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavid has 3 Corruption Points already. I'm just trying to throw out a few hints as to 'why'.

There had been just a small morsel of kindness, here and there. He remembered a wandering priest who had healed his wounds and tried to educate him in the holy truths of the Imperial Creed. Gavid had deeply respected the man for his simple faith and devotion to the God-Emperor. He didn't ever want to disappoint him, not again.

And... he had his answer: he would choose this life whole-heartedly, for the good of the Imperium, for the good priest who had been his friend, in the name of the Emperor and to save his own immortal soul! No matter what discomforts he had to put up with. This shuttle ride was but a trial. It would soon pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sazzer View Post
    Seeing that everyone was finally strapped in, the captain powers up the shuttle and takes it out of the port and up to the ship in orbit. As warned, the flight was indeed not smooth. Instead you feel like you're bones have been rattled about more than in an ork trukk, but you do make it to the ship in one piece as promised. There are no viewports in this part of the shuttle so you have no chance to see either where you have come from or the ship that you are travelling to from the outside.

Once the shuttle lands in the ships hanger, the captain gives you the all clear to unstrap yourselves and prepare to disembark.
    The journey was pretty bad. But it wasn't as bad as Gavid had feared it might be. He closed his eyes and tried to ignore the shaking of his seat and the churning in his stomach. Fortunately he was able to hold on to his lunch (as well as his dignity) and he began to breathe again.

A short while later it was all over. The shuttle had landed safely. Gavid unbuckled the straps and got to his feet, shaking a little.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-09 at 10:18 AM. Reason: responding to sazzer's post
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

I laughed, a rather harsh, barking sound.
    A 'saint', a psyker-poet, a scum and an arbite. Illustrious company indeed.
    I begin to pray.

10. - Top - End - #40

'Hey, who are you calling scum?' Gavid said, with a hint of self-mockery in his voice; he wasn't really offended; it was just a game he played, for fun. 'I prefer to think of myself as a simple Knight of the Post, thank you very much!'
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Excuse me, then, sir.
    The Cleric smiles slightly.

12. - Top - End - #42

"Good Lord....What else am i going to hear...", Cain thought as he prepared to disembark. "...says he killed a daemonhost single-handedly. Yeah right and i exterminated the Bhein Morr insurrection all by myself. Fanatical and overzealous clerics probably brand every lunatic they encounter as a daemon or worse to show their strength. Damn i can't help but being skeptical. In any case, if that is indeed the case he could be a great asset to the team. Heck i aint turning down no help on this mission, so anybody can brag about anything if it makes them happy, as long they prove it in the field".

"Better stay quiet for now and see how things unfold. And as far as priestly sermons the tall one seems a lot more catechized than even the priest. Throne - i don't know what they do to them onboard those Black Ships, but it can't be good - better steer clear till i can have a full picture of them in our operational situation. At least if he's that devoted he might fall upon his mercy blade instead of manifesting a warp monstrosity".

Then he recovered from his thinking and turned to the rest of the team.

"Well, gentlemen, truth is that i can't share stories of that high level of interest as your own are apparently. More like a simple life in the fringes of Imperial society, mixed with underworld involvement and gang wars plus a long wanted redemption chance from a servant of the Imperium who initiated my return in the service of the Allmighty God-Emperor of Mankind and showed me how to walk the path of righteousness again.

After that a few years of service in the Adeptus Arbites, with all the pros and cons that come from it and now this. Recommended by my mentor, i found myself here alongside all of you, with a chance to enter Imperium's most secretive organization. Let's hope we're up to the task.
    Oh and Gavid. Nothing wrong with being a scum. In my youth i'd fit perfectly in that category. As long as you remember whose side you're on and struggle for Mankind's benefit from now on, don't worry, i'll have your back".
    Last edited by Calimos; 2010-11-09 at 05:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Calimos View Post
    Oh and Gavid. Nothing wrong with being a scum. In my youth i'd fit perfectly in that category. As long as you remember whose side you're on and struggle for Mankind's benefit from now on, don't worry, i'll have your back".
    Gavid blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected to find a kindred spirit in the Arbitrator.

'Thank you,' he gulped. 'You watch my back, I'll watch yours. Sounds like a fair deal, right?'
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-09 at 07:25 PM. Reason: I forgot to add my "speech colour".
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

I feel I should point out that failing to watch each other's respective backs might be a survival trait at this point. If anyone is to die, well, the only true fear is dying with your duty not done.
    Oh, well, I doubt I'm going to be able to pray with a conversation going on, anyway. Gavid seems trustworthy enough, but I'd rather not have to test it. Well, the Emperor asks only that we work...

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The soft hum of the shuttles engines gave Trenton a good ten seconds worth of warning before the shuttle raced out of its port and into the atmosphere. Immediately they felt the small transport being buffeted and thrown around.

He did his best to lead into each bit of turbulence and go with it, ensuring he didn't crush or batter any one limb too badly. The shuttles restraints may not be fancy, but they did the job and by the time the shuttle set down in a void hanger, none of the team seemed injured.

I laughed, a rather harsh, barking sound.
    A 'saint', a psyker-poet, a scum and an arbite. Illustrious company indeed.
    I begin to pray.
    The Cleric's voice was harsh, far from the melodic sing song tones of the preachers back home. It was closer to the booming baritone of the drill abotts. Martial members of the Emperor's church. The solidly built, well worn revolver Cortez caried left Trenton with little doubt that it was an apt comparison.

'Hey, who are you calling scum?' 'I prefer to think of myself as a simple Knight of the Post, thank you very much!'
    Excuse me, then, sir.
    The Cleric smiles slightly.
    Trenton listened to the Cleric and Gavid exchange barbs with an internal smile. Their team was, as Cortez had pointed out, increadibly disparate. He was a sanctionite, a psyker in the emperor's service. Cortez was a man of the martial and spiritual who looked as if he had spent his life on the fringes of the Imperium.

Gavid blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected to find a kindred spirit in the Arbitrator.

'Thank you,' he gulped. 'You watch my back, I'll watch yours. Sounds like a fair deal, right?'
    It also seemed that Gavid was establishing links with the Arbitrator. Trenton had to hand it to the kid, ragged though he was, he had a way with people. Fellowship, group cohesion, team building. These were words that described theories Gavid was probably completely unaware of, yet he spoke guardedly and disarmingly. A talent that still evaded the psyker.

I feel I should point out that failing to watch each other's respective backs might be a survival trait at this point. If anyone is to die, well, the only true fear is dying with your duty not done.

"Survival. That exactly it isn't it Cleric. The common thread. It sounds as if we all come from different backgrounds and skill sets, and that's wise when you're assembling a team to face any eventuality. But i thought there also had to be something in common, and there is. "

Trenton's voice was light and conversational, it was clear he wasn't making a speech so much as a casual observation.

"We're all survivors. From the Deamonic to civil wars to gangs and poverty we've all faced challenges that would have put lesser men down but which we overcame. Considering the things that have failed to kill us individually, i think the galaxy may struggle finding something that can take us as a group! "

He did his best to smile. Confidence was a powerful thing, a social adhesive just like any other, so long as it was genuine.

Trenton conciously ommitted his own particular feat from the list, there was no need for words. His black ship had begun the translation to Holy Terra with close to 65,000 actives and potentials in its cavernous holds. The attrition, between the travel, the sanctioning, and subsequent training had been....dramatic.

As the shuttle touched down in the void hanger of their transport Trenton whacked the quick release on his harness and stood, stretching out as much as he could without obstructing the others.

"Well flown Captain, we're all perfectly intact back here. We stand ready to disembark at your convenience"
    he called forward to Krell.

edit: typos and refining some expression.
    Last edited by Teivel; 2010-11-09 at 09:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Once the shuttle has set down, the captain makes his way to the back where you are. Right, first things first. This is not an Inquisition ship. You will follow my rules here first, for your own safety if nothing else. I'm doing this job for the Inquisitor, but that doesn't mean she - or you - get to dictate what happens on board my ship.

Secondly, there are two Astartes on board as well. Members of the Wolfblade on route from holy Terra back to Fenris. I would recommend you keep out of their way as much as possible.

I have allocated two quarters to yourselves. Nothing fancy but it will have to suffice. If there's anything else you need then you will need to talk to me about it. I would prefer you not distract my crew any more than necessary.

Is that all clear?
    Characters

Games

17. - Top - End - #47

"Sir, yes sir. Thank you sir".

Arbites training kicks in, as Cain straightens up and snaps his boot heels loudly together, standing exemplarily in attention before the Imperial Navy captain. He had learnt long ago - from a veteran arbitrator who had served in the Naval Security Department of Battlefleet Calixis - that onboard star vessels, captains were second only to Emperor Himself and therefore if he wanted to put the foundations of a good travel and a lasting relationship with the captain, he'd better act respectfully.
    Last edited by Calimos; 2010-11-10 at 07:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Gavid dipped his head respectfully, but he didn't say anything. The Captain didn't want to talk to a grubby scumsucker in ragged clothes; he was here to assert his authority and prove that he wasn't about to be bossed around by the Inquisitor's new group of wannabe-acolytes. And Gavid felt he could accept that.

They all wanted to make this voyage as peaceful and pleasant as humanly possible. Obeying the Captain's orders seemed like the simplest and easiest way to get it over with. Presumably he knew what he was doing. There was no need to interfere. Not while the ship was running smoothly.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-10 at 01:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Indeed, sir.
    The captain on the last ship was a bit touchy about that, it would probably be better to just follow along, and not provoke anyone. It'd be better to wait, and act quickly if I need to.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

“Consider it done Captain, we'll do our best to be invisible, to both your Crew and Astartes.”

As if we were about to go chasing after Space Wolves. The Astartes are the Emperor's Angels of death, not Angels of polite conversation!

For a moment Trenton considered striking out and asking the Captain to provide them with a guide, dataslate with ships routine or even the detailed target information that the inquisitor had said Krell would be able to give them. After a second or two however he thought better of it, and waited for the Captain to continue. This was his ship and his show and every minute they delayed him was a minute longer they had to wait for departure and translation.

21. - Top - End - #51

Nodding at your acknowledgement of his command, the captain walks to the control panel and opens the exit hatch of the shuttle. The hanger the shuttle is in is fairly crowded - enough room to fit around the shuttle but not a lot more. The hanger looks like it desperately needs some renovation work, looking even more run down than the shuttle was...

The captain disembarks the shuttle, and leads you all down to the quarters that you have been allocated. Again, these are rather worn and tattered, with each room containing only two bunks, a single desk and a chair.
    This is where you'll be sleeping. Not much but it's all you're gonna get on here. Meals are in the mess, which I've no doubt you'll find easy enough. Otherwise I'd be obliged if you'd keep to yourselves

Spoiler
    Show

Perception rolls:
    Alexei Trenton: (1d100-30)[-21] vs 31
    Gavid Harq: (1d100-30)[-20] vs 33
    Serghar Cortez: (1d100-30)[63] vs 30
    Cain Severus: (1d100-30)[47] vs 34

Alexei Trenton and Gavid Harq only
    Spoiler
    Show

You hear the captain mutter under his breath Not that I expect you to do so though...
    Last edited by sazzer; 2010-11-11 at 06:36 PM.
    Characters

Games

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The quarters were Spartan but acceptable. The desk was a luxury compared to the virtual cells that passed for accommodation on board a black ship but it was still a far cry from the well appointed suites of home and the and schollam. Space, he knew all to well, was tightly limited on a void ship. His mother had told him that the vast majority of ratings were hot-bunked in small, coffin like sleeping alcoves onboard her vessel. Quarters were restricted to specialists and officers that required the space to carry out their duties, entertain visiting officials or who had earned such privilege though their years of service or training. In made sense, every cubic centimetre wasted on crew quarters was one less spent on armour protecting said crew or storing their foodstuffs and medical supplies.

Krell's ship seemed to be a far cry from a battle-fleet capital ship and problems of space would likely be even more acute, even these humble quarters were a generous provision on his part.

“The quarters are more than sufficient Captain thank you.”

Hearing the Captain's comment Trenton suppressed a grin. The Captain had read his mind. After only a few hours he was sick of being confused and under-informed. The travel time would be an optimum chance for the team to get proactive and re-establish control over their situation.

“And I assure you once more that we'll do our best not to cause any headaches for you or your crew, though you'll understand if we do not restrict ourselves to quarters, it would be remiss of us to forgo shipborne prayer services for example. ”

Trenton glanced towards Cortez in his peripheral vision. Your chance to shine cleric

“Milady Inquisitor also indicated that you might be able to provide us with additional information related to Ornsworld and our ...endeavour. Of course such things can wait until after we've translated , we'll be available at your discretion.” Trenton was careful to be respectful.

“By your leave we'd also appreciate assistance accessing the ships data-banks and auspex records for information pertinent to our mission, again with no sense of urgency. That information may assist us greatly in carrying out the Ordos work.”

He tacked on the mention of the Inquisition at the end there as a subtle reminder without breaching the decorum of respect. The request for assistance was also an olive branch of sorts. It gave the captain an opportunity to openly detail an officer to them while they accessed the ships systems, to provide oversight and prevent them accessing anything completely unrelated to the mission. It wasn't master level diplomatic manoeuvring but it was as tactful as Trenton could manage.

The reason he wanted access to those systems, as he'd explain to his compatriots after the Captain left the room, was twofold. Firstly he wanted to know everything there was to know about Ornsworld, secondly he wanted to check the Auspex records to help identify the ships the other teams were likely travelling on. That information could help them with everything from estimating their competitors travel time to identifying them in-system. The Auspex would also provide an answer to where the trip had begun in the first place.

Trenton waited for the Captain's response. Afterwards there would be a chance to cavass the team, determine their problems and establish a to do list for their time on board.

For the first time in days Trenton felt at least vaguely in control of the sittuation, and that suited him perfectly.

23. - Top - End - #53

Prayers... Yes.... I'll admit we don't get time when travelling for a regular prayer service. Rather each of us makes our own time as and when we can. If you want to hold your own service though glancing at the cleric Then by all means, as long as you don't disrupt things. As for the records and data-banks, I'll see if and when I can spare someone to help you. No promises though, you understand?
    Characters

Games

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No prayer service? No littanies raised against the horrors of the void, no communal veneration of he on earth?

The thought left Trenton taken aback. On a voidship, surrounded by the Immaterium, surely communal service was as neccessary as regualar maintenance if the crew and their souls were to remain safe and secure.

The cleric will love this.

Trenton hoped Cortez would volunteer to run such a service, for the spiritual benifit of the team and the crew. It would also provide an opportunity to mix more freely with the crew.

Perhaps it was the Captain's discomfort that lead him to offer assistance in accessing the records Trenton desired. Whatever his reasons, it was a good outcome.

"We understand Captain. Thank you for the assistance."

He didn't press on the issue of prayers and service, though he hoped that Cortez would choose this moment to speak up and offer to exercise his vocation.

Stepping back, Trenton waited for others amongst the team to speak or for the Captain to leave.

25. - Top - End - #55

The captain disembarks the shuttle, and leads you all down to the quarters that you have been allocated. Again, these are rather worn and tattered, with each room containing only two bunks, a single desk and a chair.
    Looking around at the extreme lavishness of the quarters the good captain had so thoughtfully provided, Gavid reflected that this was much better than anything he had a right to expect.

Back home, in the underhive, he'd often curl up in the space beneath a hot water pipe when he needed to rest, out of sight. To have a room with a bed just for sleeping in was a strange and novel experience for him, even if he had to share it.

He couldn't help but smile. Things were looking up. He supposed that- of course- most Inquisitorial acolytes liked to make the most of life's little luxuries. From what he'd heard they didn't tend to last for very long.

Meals are in the mess, which I've no doubt you'll find easy enough. Otherwise I'd be obliged if you'd keep to yourselves
    At the mention of food, Gavid looked up and licked his lips; he was hungry. Right now he was in need of a good square meal (or two). And there were other things he might do when he'd reached the mess. Who would he meet around the dinner table?

Alexei Trenton and Gavid Harq only
    Spoiler
    Show

You hear the captain mutter under his breath Not that I expect you to do so though...
    The good captain was quite right to be pessimistic. It wasn't very likely that Gavid or any of his teammates would keep to themselves. Already Gavid had ideas of mingling with the off-duty members of the crew, picking their brains for scraps of gossip, maybe making a few deals...

Gavid wasn't much of a fixer but he knew a few of the tricks of the trade. He wanted some new clothes. It was just as well to blend in with his surroundings. And he wouldn't want to make his teammates ashamed to be seen with him.

Prayers... Yes.... I'll admit we don't get time when travelling for a regular prayer service. Rather each of us makes our own time as and when we can. If you want to hold your own service though glancing at the cleric
    His face an inscrutable mask, Gavid looked the captain up and down, wondering at the meaning behind his words. He sensed that the captain was being evasive, but he had no idea why.

It was strange. With the superhuman Astartes on board his ship it would have been a terrible risk for the captain to appear anything less than devoutly faithful. Even if he was inwardly reluctant to place his faith in the Emperor, surely it would have been much wiser to at least pretend piety?

Perhaps Gavid was doing the captain a disservice. For all he knew, the captain was as pure a servant of the Emperor as any other. It was possible that he had a good reason for his hesitation.

When he was younger, down in the depths of Hive Megiddo, Gavid had thought that the people higher up the spire must be so much purer and more faithful than those trapped down below; why else would the God Emperor have elevated them so?

Later he had realised that many of the ordinary citizens of the Imperium, from the highest rank to the lowest, sought to get on with their lives without interference, paying no more than lip service to the teachings of the Imperial Cult. It had been a terrible disappointment.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-12 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Additions and subtractions
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

No prayers for the Emperor's mercy in the warp. Throne, they must be insane. Void travel is dangerous enough without tempting the Xenos, the Daemon, and the Mutant.
    There was once a ship traveling through the warp that emerged unscathed after its gellar fields failed. It had been the mercy of the Emperor brought down by their prayers that had saved them. It surprises me that you wouldn't take at least some precaution.
    What, does he want me to write a sermon? Did he not even bring a priest? To rely on a missionary...well, that's just unseemly. Might as well start cracking on a sermon, then. Might have something to do with the evils of letting faith slide.
    I cracked a smile.
    Looking around at the rooms, they seem to be more than we need - although we only need faith. It might be a nice change from sleeping on the ground, though, using a good rock as a pillow. I sit down on the one of the desks, and start searching for paper.
    Last edited by Norpfang; 2010-11-12 at 12:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

You misunderstand me. We do of course all attend prayers - it would be foolish not to, after all. However, we are short handed and we cannot afford the time to have a single communal regular prayer service. Instead each of us attends as best we can. I cannot afford for too many men to be in prayer service at the same time, for then there would be nobody left to fly the ship... With a priest such as yourself on board that will hopefully change for the duration of this trip, but in general out in the cold we do what we must do to survive.
    Characters

Games

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

You misunderstand me. We do of course all attend prayers - it would be foolish not to, after all. However, we are short handed and we cannot afford the time to have a single communal regular prayer service. Instead each of us attends as best we can. I cannot afford for too many men to be in prayer service at the same time, for then there would be nobody left to fly the ship... With a priest such as yourself on board that will hopefully change for the duration of this trip, but in general out in the cold we do what we must do to survive.
    I shall begin work on a sermon this night-cycle, then.

29. - Top - End - #59

A fine reason, better than any other, Gavid thought. But why didn't the Captain just say that in the first place?

On balance, it didn't much matter. There were other activities that urgently required his attention. First... he'd see what the mess hall had to offer. Yes, food! It was wonderful to have enough to eat!

'Almighty God-Emperor who reigns over us all,' he whispered. 'Thank you for what I'm about to receive. May your holy name be exalted for evermore.'

It might have seemed strange to anyone who wasn't an underhiver. But for Gavid, filling his stomach was an almost religious experience; it wasn't like he'd had much chance to get used to it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

"Simple quarters and standard meals will be just fine. As long as there's a semblance of a bed, a toilet, a locker and a desk as well as non-poisonous food I won't even notice", Cain replies sternly and continues.

"Regarding the access that has been requested by my comrade, to your available records and archives, I would really appreciate it Captain if you could make it a priority, since it could prove very important to our proper preparation before our insertion in the planet. Also, a personal request if i may, i'd like to meet in person - if at all possible - the head of your security detail. Since i'm a servant of the Emperor's justice, i'd like to know more about the way our naval colleagues carry out their duties onboard star vessels and -why not- learn from their methods.

And as for the prayers , i'd be more than happy to attend the next sermon Cortez, whenever it will be".