New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [Nexus][Plot] Grey Blood

It's far away and weird things happen there once in a while. And that's all you know about Duskgrove. Someone better informed might know that once in a while, humans or humanoids pop up, not knowing where they are or how they got there. They're given a place to sleep, pointed in the direction of Inside, and sent on their way. Some stay; it's a pretty town, half way up a large hill, at the head of a huge, forest-covered valley. On a good day, you can see across the miles and miles of forest, across the vast plains, all the way to Inside. On most days, the valley is filled with mist and fog. There's one road to Duskgrove, an ancient and well worn, if small, trail that bypasses the forest and climbs high into the hills, before descending into town. There's the main street, with the pocketful of stores, the two taverns, the temples, the governor's house. There's the network of trails and roads radiating out, leading to the various homes and tiny farms. There's the doctor's house, where there's a man with what looks like human bite marks. He's comatose, by now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus][Plot] Grey Blood

The old, doomed man storms out of the tavern, and recovers his horse. "Let's go, I only have a few hours left."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's get on with it then. Although you really should let me remove that arm, at the least it should buy you some time. Riv says, following.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The man shakes his head. "Son, you don't know a thing about zombies. Once you're bitten, you're a dead man walking, and there's nothing you can do about it."

5. - Top - End - #5

I don't believe in two things: Unkillable foes and incurable diseases. Both are just cases of not using enough firepower. But it's your choice. Riv says, shrugging.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Doc Rout walks out and stashes his small book inside his pocket.

His eyes come to rest on Riv. It appears this is the first time he noticed him. He walks up to Riv and comes within three inches of his face staring at his face intently, examining its every aspect, every facet of it from every angle.

"I know you from somewhere...isn't your name...R-Riv?"

A shocked look sweeps over his face.

When he removes his glasses to look at Riv better, Riv might feel like he has seen this man before. He gives off an aura that is identical to that of Alpha, though his body appears different than last time.

7. - Top - End - #7

Yeah, it is. Er, this might sound a bit odd, but do I know you? I've kind of come down with a world-class case of amnesia. Riv says, trying to place where he's seen this guy. It's worth noting Riv looks considerably different and generally worse now, his lab coat is ripped, torn, scorched and bloodstained, his left arm has a massive scar on it and his right arm is just plain gone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

((Tired of waiting for others to post))

Orak slips out the door behind the party and waits in some convenient bushes until they leave.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoebe looks concerned for the old man. It seems that him talking about how he is a dead man walking upsets her just a bit.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

"I knew you not long ago. I was different then. Different body anyway. The name Alpha or Zeta mean anything special to you?"

Doc Rout speaks in a hushed aside to Riv.

He then turns and addresses the party as a whole.

"We going or what? And remember Murphy's laws. Obey them and we might live. Stay in the group at all times. Shoot at the head. Use traps. Keep on the high ground. Tell us when you need to reload. And above all, don't be a hero. And if someone gets bitten on our side, shoot them dead. It is the most merciful thing to do if someone starts to turn."

All this he "knows" because he read a book containing fundamental horde killing tactics.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yes. Those names are the only thing I can remember other than my own name, that and that you were a friend. Riv says to Doc, making sure to talk in whispers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Trent is present, of course, still staying in the rear and away from the zombie bite victim.

He's also still holding that laser rifle, which probably seems a touch ominous given the comment about bite victims Rout just made and the group's current guide...

Speaking of whom...Trent has a question for him. "Can we just get going?"
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The man leads the group to a large wagon. Exactly big enough for the group. "Yah. Get in, I don't have much time." He hops up, and waits for everyone else.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoebe hops into the wagon.

She looks at the old man. You said you had family right?
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Trent gets in the wagon. "Better not turn while driving this thing and end up dumping us off a cliff..."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

"You heard the man, pile in everyone. One last thing, you all brought weapons right? If you didn't, get one. Now. Powerful with lots of ammo and pretty precise. Bring a sidearm just in case. Load them and check them now. There is probably an ammo locker and guns scattered around but don't count on it. Whenever you need luck you won't have it. (to the bitten man) When you start to turn, let us know. You'll be able to tell when you are turning. Tis much less painful to be shot before you turn than after. (probably) In the meantime, tell me about your town and how the infestation arrived. After that, town layout and then about your family. Just keep your mind off that little bite, okay."

Doc Rout yells out in a rather loud voice so all those around can clearly hear him. He holds out his hand to shake the bitten NPC's hand then begins to help the PCs into the wagon. After they are all loaded up, he jumps in the back and replies to Riv in a voice that is barely audible over all the other noises in the environment.

"Then you need to know this. Some people want you dead. We can get you facial reconstruction and tinker with your aura and you will vanish off that list. I know this because my former self was on the list. Well, the evil portion at least. Zeta and myself were the embodiments of all the good in Alexander Pyborne and, when we were expelled from this plane by the evil in him, he managed to get on their list somehow. He was once part of us, I guess, but not anymore, eh? Anyway, stick with me until we meet up with the others and you'll be alright."
    Last edited by The Alexandrian; 2010-11-25 at 10:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Got it. Riv says, pulling out his pistol and checking it, despite the fact it reloads automaticly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Huh... must've been about a day ago, by now. Unconciouss man, bitten, appears in my villiage. Some idiot didn't recognize the symptoms or bite mark and took him in. Few hours later, eighteen people were bitten. By the time I left, several had become animated." The man is struggling to keep his voice neutral. "My town is called Duskgrove. It's a decent ways out. We're on a large hill, over a valley. It's a small village, one main road. A couple of trails leading out to terraced farms. Spread out over ten, twenty square miles." He gasps, almost imperceptibly. "They- they got my wife. Early on. Then they got me. I couldn't go home, I would've infected my daughter. So I came hear, as fast as possible."
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2010-11-25 at 11:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where is your house? We can do our best to make sure your daughter is safe.

Phoebe still sounds upset that this man is dying and that she apparently can't do anything about it.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"They've probably gotten to her by now," he says in a hollow, helpless tone. "They'll have gotten everyone by the time we get back. Everyone close to the town, at least. Don't bother trying to save anyone." He sounds increasingly... dead. As if he's already confined himself to a grave.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Orak sees that everyone has loaded into the wagon. He stealthily climbs a nearby tree and waits for them to go. Note that the trees extend along the road. ((because I say so))

22. - Top - End - #22

Wait. If everyone is already dead, why not just bomb the town and the zombies? Riv says. Some things never change I guess.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because we don't know everyone is dead!

She turns to the old man.

Look it doesn't help to think like that. We might be able to help her. You might be able to help her. Isn't that why you came to get us, so we might be able to help?
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

"There's always that little bit of hope which we must cling to in order to remain human. If your daughter is alive, we will be the ones to rescue her. If she is turned, we will be the ones to reunite her with you in the paradise which awaits you."

His tone is overly soothing and calming. He is cleaning his gun while he waits and checking his ammo amounts and placement. He loads and preps his trench gun, inaudibly praying for their driver's soul under his breath and for those in the town who were gone.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"I got you so that you could keep the threat from spreading." He doesn't seem to want to say anything else.

The cart continues on for about two hours, slowly, imperceptibly rising into the foothills. First there's trees. A forest springs up, without anyone really noticing it. There's a fork in the road, leading up into the hills. The man steers the cart onto the fork, then gets out of the cart. "Keep going along this road." He stares at the ground for a moment. "And that's it for me." His eye twitches; he sits down heavily, involuntarily. "Do it fast, please."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Orak meanwhile has been jumping from tree to tree following the cart. When the man drops to the ground he trains his rifle on his head. The kroot knows what must be done, he smelled the taint.

He aims carefully, them pulls the trigger.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2010-11-26 at 12:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

As the shot goes off, Trent jumps. "What the ****?" He climbs out of the cart himself, and looks around for the shooter.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2010-11-26 at 12:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #28

Riv aims at the mans head and is just about to fire when the kroot beats him to it. Leaping up at the sound of the shot, he yells out in the rough direction of where the shot came from. Whi are you? Show yourself.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

He dies.

Just because it's usually a good idea to point that kinda thing out.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phoebe jumps at the sound of the gunshot and is quickly out of the wagon and behind Trent. Her back to his looking around for the shooter as well. Her hand resting on the stick in her belt.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?