New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'm assuming then that my video submission for the first week didn't work? I wasn't sure how that would go down, so I tried to break it up in a way I thought might work. Does it all just count as one?
    Oops. They worked as a pass for that week, with a good split into six pieces. But the second week (and the lack of submissions therein) means you lost that streak anyway. I just didn't think to include them because of this. But you're right, the status post should've included credit for that week. I'll include it
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Oops. They worked as a pass for that week, with a good split into six pieces. But the second week (and the lack of submissions therein) means you lost that streak anyway. I just didn't think to include them because of this. But you're right, the status post should've included credit for that week. I'll include it
    Okay cool. Yeah, the week of my birthday got crazy, and so my efforts flummoxed, but its good to be back. Glad I got the split up right. That project was tough! How was your trip?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    So far Seventh Sanctum (www.seventhsanctum.com) has been my secret weapon. If I need some kind of spark, I fire up one of the generators and try to extrapolate from the results. They have description generators too, if you're inclined to draw characters instead.
    This is going to be useful soon. Thanks.

If you manage to touch on something that seems interesting, it should put you in the zone. Most of my submissions get knocked out on the weekends in 1-2 hour stints just because I find an idea so damn interesting that my fingers can't stop themselves. That could just be me though.
    I don't think coming up with ideas is my problem. It's finding the words to describe them eloquently and hopefully with enough detail as to occupy at least 250 words, if not more.

Second, planning. Some weeks I have to actively plan for creative time and stick to it, including turning down a social offer or two. It's definitely not all weeks, and it depends a LOT on your specific schedule (some things just can't be turned down).
    Sacrificing sleep is necessary some Sundays, too. But I really like avoiding it.
    Okay.

Letting go of the "everything must be perfect" mentality is really good too. A large amount of the things I create are made specifically for the Challenge, just to exercise my creative muscles and meant to be thrown away immediately after the week's over. Worrying more about quantity than quality makes it easier to finish things quickly on busy weeks.
    I suppose. That feels a bit like wasting my time, though.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Halfling in the Playground

Oooh, interesting. Sad about the broken streak though.
    Interesting it was, at that. And fun. I'll live with the broken streak in exchange, no doubt I'll score a larger one next.

Godspeed with the webcomic endeavor, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    This is going to be useful soon. Thanks.

I don't think coming up with ideas is my problem. It's finding the words to describe them eloquently and hopefully with enough detail as to occupy at least 250 words, if not more.

I suppose. That feels a bit like wasting my time, though.
    Quite welcome, may it serve you as well as it has me.

Also, don't worry too sharply about quality. Remember Sturgeon's revelation - at the very worst, if all your writing turns out wrong, you're getting the 90% crap out of your system.

Personally, I sit down and type stream-of-consciousness until I've hit my word count or thoroughly exhausted my thoughts, whichever happens last. Someone is free to find contradictions or nonsense in the things I post; in fact if they point it out, I'll be sharper for it on the next go.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

First attempt at a comic:
    Spoiler
    Show

An octopus:
    Spoiler
    Show

Three avatar requests:
    Spoiler
    Show

And some background information for an urban fantasy setting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Words: 280

Let's talk about Sandmen, but first, I think that a discussion of the Sandmen requires a discussion of sleep.

Why do we sleep? It's not really a physiological requirement. There's no physical reason why the human body must become comatose regularly. In fact, it would be far more useful in terms of natural selection to avoid sleep. Dolphins do this, in a fashion, by alternating sleep cycles between two portions of their brains.

I imagine the human body, being mechanical in nature, can work fine without the benefit of sleep. Therefore, I will assume that sleep is meant for the benefit of the mind. If the mind is the seat of human consciousness, then what does sleep do for the conscious?

It has been observed that sleep has a restorative effect upon the waking mind. As a person goes longer and longer without sleep, his cognitions begin to change. The desire to sleep becomes all-consuming, and given a sufficient period of deprivation, hallucinations begin to appear. But why? A couple nights' rest alleviates all of those symptoms.

I think this is where the Sandmen enter. Contrary to their name, they're not human. Far from it, really. I think they're like some kind of oneiric polypomps. I think they lead our sleeping egos through the gates of ash and horn and into a land of dream. I think they do this to "ground" ourselves against the existential perils of mundane reality.

If all of this is true and if I abstain from sleep indefinitely, will I eventually cease to be me? Will I become some kind of zombie? Most importantly, if that is so, am I really meant to be here?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-08-12 at 07:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd like to try and get in on this, please. I'll probably just post everything here (spoilered), especially since most of what I'll be doing is writing.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Barbarian in the Playground

August 2013 submission for Carnival of Aces. 455 words. (shh, I know it's Monday Morning)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what's hard?
    Growing up without sex education.
    You know what's hard?
    Being homosexual (or bi, or pan, or anything other than heterosexual) and growing up learning about PIV and nothing else.
    You know what's hard?
    Being asexual (or demi, or grace, or under the ace umbrella) and growing up learning that humans are inherently sexual beings and that everyone wants to do the sex and that if you wouldn't tap that then you're wrong.
    When you say "hormones," there's an 80% chance that your conversational partner will think of teenagers. More specifically, teenagers having sex. (Don't quote me on that — I made that figure up for humorous effect.) And I get it. After all, 99% of humans are allosexual. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have sex — it's an innate part of what most people are. The problem comes when people assume that everyone should want sex, and those who don't must have a disorder.
    And if you're reading this, I'm going to assume that you already know that. I didn't write this so I could repeat what the #asexuality tag says all the time.
    I was fifteen, in tenth grade. It was a regular day in the first quarter of the school year. I was in math class. Precalculus. There was a girl at my table — seventeen or eighteen, I think. The teacher was handing back homework, and the class was talking. I was shy — there was only one other sophomore in the class, and he was on the other side of the room. Everyone else already knew each other. All I could really do was listen. Listen as the girl described the things she had done to her boyfriend, the things she wanted to do. It was hard for me to imagine. Why would high schoolers go around having sex when there were so many other and better things to do? Sure, I'd had my share of crushes, but I'd never associated them with a desire for sex.
    Luckily, I surrounded myself mostly with friends who were waiting until marriage. Spending time with other virgins was easier. Thinking about sex wasn't a regular occurrence, and it was downright wonderful to not have to be reminded of it every single day.
    Looking back, it makes me laugh that I was so unaware of my own orientation until after I turned 18. How could I possibly have thought I was heterosexual? Probably because I wasn't taught about asexuality in humans.
    We need to stop acting like teenagers are all immature, hormonal brats who are All About the Sex and Too Young to Know for Sure. If you know you're ace, you're ace, and that's all there is to it.

Logos:

Sleepover. (Contains ponies.) Left. Middle (my OC). Right.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eridan Ampora as a little troll.
    Spoiler
    Show

A little signature prize.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1148

Pardon the delay, was out for a night of cards.

Concerned about quality this week; managed to just scrape by with precisely 1504 words, but the works are all in various states of unfinished, some glaringly so. And despite suggesting a theme, I only stuck to it in the absolute basest of senses.

I'll let it be judged on its merits this week, and next week I'll be sure to do better.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0fo...it?usp=sharing

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with 3.425 words of writings and a self portrait.

Lycunadari isn't back after all.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 1.344 words of fantasy setting description, and one poem.

MeanMrsMustard passes with an 455 words of Ace essay, two logoes, three cute ponies, a sig and a troll.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1.534 words of novel writings and character description.

redfeatherraven passes with 1.504 words of setting description.

Grinner passes with three avatars, an octopus, 280 words of setting, and a three-panel comic.

Thus, Lycunadari FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard, D.KnightSpider, redfeatherraven and Grinner PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 146 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 28 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 3 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 17 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 11 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Longest run: 4 weeks

Grinner

This week's theme has not been chosen beforehand. The first theme suggested by anyone (even lurkers) wins.

Next week's theme is chosen by D.KnightSpider - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

rs2excelsior: Woo, welcome to the Challenge

redfeatherraven: Good to see you back in the game!

Regarding themes, it sparked an idea and I even wrote the scene before realizing that it actually ties in poorly (visions and "past as future" are wobbly at best). OH WELL. I'll get back on that theme wagon soon enough!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh, good that I have internet today (though not a good enough connection to upload anything)– I'm pretty sure I wrote I'll be back on 8th September

Also, New Zealand and Australia are great.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What I've got so far: some fantasy background setting (746 words)
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one really knows where or when the Beacon-Stones originated. Some say they were made by a race of now-extinct Old Ones. Some say they fell from the skies. Still others claim that the gods themselves placed them where they rest today. Whatever their origin, they have become the key to many things here on Lhindos: to travel, to trade, and to war.
    Without the Beacon-Stones, the civilization that now exists on Lhindos would not even exist. According to the legends, a young boy had been resting by the shore of a land far across the sea; so far that even the largest ship could not hope to reach it before its stores ran dry and its crew died by starvation. This young boy had been dreaming of wild and exotic lands as he leaned on a rock--on a Beacon-Stone, though he did not know it. The boy closed his eyes for a moment, only to open them and find himself in some unknown place. He was the first to set foot on Lhindos, the first who could bend the Beacon-Stones to his will--the first of the Travelers.
    The boy made his way back to his homeland and told the people of his discovery. He found that he could take others with him if he touched them while he Traveled. Over the years more Travelers were discovered, and they brought those adventurous souls that hoped to find freedom or riches on Lhindos to the continent. Thus the first settlements began to take form.
    The Travelers near to this first Beacon-Stone on Lhindos found that they could sense more Beacon-Stones. While a trip between the old lands and Lhindos could only be accomplished between the two Beacon-Stones already discovered, the one on Lhindos could reach any one of an entire network of Beacon-Stones on that continent, and any of those Stones could reach any other. And civilization expanded further, with a new settlement springing up around each Beacon-Stone.
    The continent was never known for great natural resources, but the land yielded a decent living for those who made it their home. And any commodities could be taken from settlement to settlement quickly through the Beacon-Stones. Travelers who offered their services to ship people and goods in this manner were paid well. At first such trips required many Travelers to accomplish, but as a Traveler honed his skills he found he could move more people and more goods. The most skilled could move a hundred people at once.
    Human nature being what it is, conflict arose. This took the form mostly of trade wars, but occasionally spilled over into bloodshed. Armies were small, and battles were brutal affairs fought around the Beacon-Stones. If an attacker could gain control of Stone, the defender would negotiate terms rather than fight for the rest of the city, as without its Stone it was destined to wither and die eventually.
    That changed with the Great War. An avaricious Emperor of the old lands whose name has been lost to time sought more of Lhindos's wealth than its people were willing or able to give. Dissatisfied with their tribute, he decided to take what wealth the colonists had by force. He gathered together every Traveler he could find and invaded Lhindos with the largest army the continent had ever seen. Dangarnon, the city of the first Beacon-Stone, was razed to the ground. Six more cities fell before the nations of Lhindos banded together and stopped the invasion. The armies of Lhindos retook the ruins of Dangarnon, and before the legions of the old lands could muster reinforcements the Beacon-Stone was broken, its crystal heart shattered, forever severing Lhindos from the land that had spawned it.
    In the centuries following the Great War, much of the history has been lost to time. The ruins of Dangarnon and the shards of the Beacon-Stone can still be found. There is a group that believes the Beacon-Stone can be reconstructed, and that, in the process of rebuilding the Stone, its secrets can be unlocked, allowing the people of Lhindos to build more Stones where they will.
    Many other cults center around the Stones. One cult believes the Beacon-Stones to be leftover from an ancient civilization which once inhabited Lhindos, and that will one day return. Members of this cult tremble at the thought of the destruction of the Dangarnon Stone, for they believe it will draw the ire of the Old Ones upon their return.

Hopefully I can get some more in today.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #1152

First time submitting from my brand-new laptop -- yee-haw!
    Vector art.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homestuck.
    Spoiler
    Show

A kind of crappy logo.
    Spoiler
    Show

Limericks. Don't judge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ugly Duckling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There once was a duck from Dakota
    Who never could meet his cute quota.
    Then one fateful dawn
    He now was a swan
    And he swam away next to a boat-a.

Rock skipping.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One morning I went to the beach
    My brother rock skipping to teach.
    Though flat stones he'd dash
    We'd always get splashed
    Until him to stop I beseeched.

Cosplay.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When cosplaying, ladies must bind
    Or else they'll undoubtedly find
    The comments, from rude
    To unspeakably lewd,
    Will never be anything kind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1153

Sadly, came up short this week. Creature creation is one of my weakest points, and when I decided to take a crack at it, I found myself pretty off my game.

What I do have is the final bit that finally cracked the writer's block - unfortunately, I passed out last night before moving on to actual creatures, so the word count is a mere 685 words.

Regardless, here's what I have. This week should go smoother now that this document's in place.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Status! With a theme suggested ahead of time!

Glass Mouse passes with six character portraits.

Lycunadari is back on September 8.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 1073 words of setting description, one poem and one riddle.

MeanMrsMustard passes with three limericks, a logo and two fantrolls.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1,537 words of novel writings.

redfeatherraven uploaded 685 words of creature description.

Grinner didn't upload/send me anything.

rs2excelsior uploaded 746 words of fantasy background.

Thus, redfeatherraven, Grinner and rs2excelsior FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard and D.KnightSpider PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 147 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 28 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 2 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 18 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 12 weeks

redfeatherraven

Grinner

rs2excelsior

This week's theme, chosen by D.Knightspider, is Marshmallows

Next week's theme is chosen by redfeatherraven - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Huh, good that I have internet today (though not a good enough connection to upload anything)– I'm pretty sure I wrote I'll be back on 8th September

Also, New Zealand and Australia are great.
    You did! I'm sorry. Thanks for catching it, and it's of course corrected now.

And ooh, I'm jealous! And definitely looking forward to the photographic proof What's the purpose of your travels?

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    First time submitting from my brand-new laptop -- yee-haw!
    Ooh, shiny! Takes a while to get used to a new one, but graphic work is way better when you've got RAM and graphics enough

Sadly, came up short this week. Creature creation is one of my weakest points, and when I decided to take a crack at it, I found myself pretty off my game.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Hopefully I can get some more in today.
    Better luck next week, both of you!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #1155

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 18 weeks
    Congratulations to MeanMrsMustard for passing the 18 week mark. You've earned a prize:
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenge Rules View Post
    • The first time you pass the 18 week mark, IncoherentEssay will craft and mail you one figurine of your choice*.

PM me if you have any questions and/or once you've decided what you want for your prize .
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

So my grandmother is in a worsening condition...so I'm hoping to get SOMETHING done. But if things are the way they are headed...I guess we'll just have to see. If I had a scanner, I'd be able to draw...maybe if I take pictures....
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Troll in the Playground

So....did we ever settle how many points videogames are worth? I realize it's a complex question, but I've decided that's where I want to put my time.

So my grandmother is in a worsening condition...so I'm hoping to get SOMETHING done. But if things are the way they are headed...I guess we'll just have to see. If I had a scanner, I'd be able to draw...maybe if I take pictures....
    Sorry to hear that.

And digital cameras work wonderfully.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This week's submissions:

Some semi-philosophical, semi-horror stuff inspired by a recent trip through TV Tropes. (1,022 words)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fear. It is what causes our hearts to race and our muscles to tense. What causes us to tremble at the sight of a predator or feel apprehension at walking down a dark pathway. It keeps us awake at night, dreading what is to come. It can cause us to freeze completely or spur us to greater feats than are otherwise possible.
    We all know the feeling. A gnawing at the back of your mind. Your heart hammers in your chest. Your eyes dart nervously whenever motion catches them and your ears are attuned to every little sound. Adrenaline courses through your veins, preparing your body to flee for its life. Your mind fills in the shadows with every manner of terrible creature... and some of them are real. You are never more in touch with the world around you, and never more aware of your own vulnerability.
    Why do we fear? So that we may avoid death or danger. We fear situations that will cause us harm. We fear the carnivore stalking our tracks; we fear its tearing fangs and ripping claws. We fear the onrushing train lest it run us down with no more compassion than a force of nature. And we fear each other, for the harm mankind is able to cause to itself is more terrible than any other threat, for it is done with malice and with purpose.
    Once fear was simple. Man had his life to lose, no more and no less, and he feared for it. He feared the predator that might come in the night, or the prey animal that might lash out at its killer with a dying breath, but nothing more. As man gained, however, he also gained fear. When he settled on a piece of land, he feared losing it. When he invested his labor into the harvesting of crops, he feared the weather rendering his effort useless. Any desire, any gain, brings with it an attending fear. For if something is worth desiring, it is also worthy to fear its loss, is it not? We fear loss of possessions, loss of status, loss of position, loss of opportunities. But our bodies cannot distinguish one fear from another, and reacts to any in the only way it knows how: the same manner in which our ancestors in the distant past reacted to the stalking tiger or the enraged mammoth. Our blood flows and our senses sharpen; our minds race and scan desperately for any sign of the danger which we know is coming. Sometimes, it is to our benefit. The man walking down a dark alleyway to his car parked a block away is served well by his mind's reaction, but as he walks down the hallway to his supervisor's office, fearing he is being called in to be laid off, his body reacts in the same way when there is no physical danger. His mind prepares him to fight what cannot be fought, to flee from what cannot be outrun. There lies true terror. With no outlet, the fear feeds on itself and grows ever stronger. If the inescapable threat is great enough, it can consume a person utterly.
    Fear does not have to be in response to a real danger. Our mind must only perceive a threat to become afraid. Not even that--the mind must only detect the possibility of a threat. That is why darkness can be frightening; the mind will populate the black abyss with the most terrifying things it can invent. What one does not know is not harmless, as the saying claims. It can kill you even more surely than the threat you can see. Known threats induce fear, and that fear allows the target to prepare to resist, to remove a specific threat from the equation. But darkness, the sound that you can't quite identify, the blur of motion in the corner of your eye, that also causes fear, but there is no threat to identify. In that case, your mind tries to prepare for any possible threat. Then, as your mind reels off the most terrible things that it can imagine, it realizes it cannot possibly prepare for them all. Then the terror comes.
    If the threat is revealed, the mind knows how to fight. It knows where to flee. But if no threat appears, you continue to fear, to imagine further dangers, to sink deeper into a pit of despair until your mind can no longer think and you flee from shadows. The most terrifying thing in the world is nothing. You cannot fight nothing. You cannot escape nothing. And you can never be safe alone in the dark, when every step could reveal one of the many things the mind creates.
    So what you don't know can hurt you. Like... like what's looking over your shoulder now. Don't look. It might not have noticed you. Just keep your eyes on the screen. Motion might attract its attention. There's nothing here to be frightened of, whereas that thing certainly should cause fear. But only if it sees you...
    Actually, you probably should look. I mean, I'm not actually sure what it is, so better that you see it and at least have an idea of what you're up against. And I imagine you're already at least a little afraid right now. So turn around...
    Odd. It vanished right before you looked. Maybe it was afraid of you too. Things other than humans feel fear too, you know. Maybe it attacks its prey unaware, and when it risks being found out it leaves to try again later. So I'd watch my back if I were you. It might not have given up.
    Of course, those aren't the only options. It might be in your head right now. Again, I don't know what that was, so I don't know what it might have done. At least it seems to be after you, not me.
    Anyhow, that was about all I had to say on the subject, so I bid you farewell. Sleep well tonight. Hopefully that... whatever it was is gone for good.

And a VERY short Sci-Fi short story. It's at least tangentially related to the theme, though you've got to read to the end to see it. (658 words)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The tank hummed with power as its fans forced air into the steel-enclosed chamber beneath it, lifting the behemoth off the ground. The ground-effect vehicle shuddered a hand's breadth above the ground, ready to spring forward at a moment's notice.
    I had landed on this rock nearly six standard months ago with the maintenance section of the Confederation 12th Armored Division. The Republic forces hadn't surrendered when the fleet was driven off and the planet was too important to destroy from orbit, so the Army had to dig the defenders out the hard way. And it had been the hard way. Casualties had been so heavy that rear-echelon personnel were filling slots in line combat units.
    Though I'd transferred several weeks ago, I hadn't seen action. The 98th Armored Battalion had been badly mauled digging a Republican infantry brigade off a hilltop before I got in, and had only just returned to action. This tank, the second vehicle of 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, had been hit but not destroyed. A man-portable anti-tank rocket had sent a jet of plasma into the hull.
    I could see the patch that covered the hole through which the incandescent gas had entered to vaporize much of the previous driver.
    The plan was simple. The battalion had moved into attack positions under the cover of darkness. The Republican firebase shouldn't have been able to detect them, given the heavy jamming over the entire area. At daybreak, when the enemy would be groggy from sleep, the Confederation tanks would spring from covered positions and overrun the defenders. 1/C Platoon would come over the ridge just in front of them and lay down suppressive fire before advancing themselves.
    My hand rested on the tank's controls. I'd driven plenty of them at Maintenance, but I hadn't been shot at before. The words of Sergeant Roberts, the vehicle's commander, still echoed in my head. Don't worry about it. I know you can drive these things, so just do what I say, and for God's sake, don't leave us on that ridgeline. They're going to be napping. We'll come through fine.
    It was remarkably little comfort.
    The tank's intercom came to life with the relayed voice of Lieutenant Pettigrew, the platoon's commander. He spoke a single word. "Execute."
    The tank roared with power as the fans drove it up the slope. My heart raced as the promise of action and the possibility of death came nearer, but I held the vehicle in line with its three fellows. A routine operation. Nothing to worry about.
    It went wrong as soon as we came over the hill. The Lieutenant's tank detonated with a spectacular roar as its fusion bottle let go. My display showed the position of the electromagnetic railgun that had fired. So they knew we were coming after all.
    I realized the sergeant was yelling at me over the intercom. I dropped the tank deliberately, then started off again at a different angle. Another penetrator threw up dirt just downslope. That could have been me...
    My tank's own railgun snarled, and one of the threat markers vanished from the screen. There were too many still firing, though...
    The tank screamed. It jolted wildly and the screens went dead. Alarms wailed and heat prickled my back.
    Fire.
    I scrambled out of the hatch. Small arms fire rattled off the armor, and I scrambled behind the tank's mass. There was a neat hole in the front of the turret, but the penetrator hadn't exited the other side. The commander and gunner were certainly dead.
    Artillery screamed overhead. High Explosive rounds detonated in orange flashes on the Republican position, and anti-personnel rounds burst in white puffs overhead, raining deadly shrapnel onto the firebase which had proven more resilient than expected.
    I began to laugh uncontrollably. Despite the burning Confederation vehicles scattered around, despite the carnage on both sides, my mind latched onto a single thought.
    The white shellbursts looked like marshmallows.

A couple of questions:

If I were to write a longer story expanded from my second submission here that included the same scene (though rewritten), would that be okay to submit?

Can I start working on next week's submissions, or should I wait until the standings for the week are posted? I'll wait unless I'm told it's okay to go ahead.

@WombatOfDoom: terribly sorry to hear about your grandmother, you have my sympathies

-----

19. - Top - End - #1159

Last week, I wrote about some delicate environmental things that could go on in the CoD pantry. This week, I threw all that out the window and wrote about marshmallow blobs and smeerps.

2426 words, zero shame.

But wait, there's more.

So....did we ever settle how many points videogames are worth? I realize it's a complex question, but I've decided that's where I want to put my time.
    Don't want to step on toes, but since I brought it up, if I could make a case? I think in order to make a solid determination we'd need a little more info.

The two key points I can see are genre and development tools, if nothing else. Genre-wise, an RPG would have art and dialogue assets to its credit, for example, while action games may only have art assets. I could also see well-crafted levels or map sections being counted, perhaps.

The coding side of it seems outside the scope of this challenge in general, but if it's hand-coded, rather than using tools, that seems fuzzier.

All of this is Glass Mouse's call in the end, but that's my two.

Next week's theme is chosen by redfeatherraven - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    I'm up? Ooo, shiny.

...you know, I like that. Next week's theme is Ooo, Shiny!

20. - Top - End - #1160

Lots of Homestuck this week! Also, the pictures are really wide.
    Fuchsiabloods:
    Spoiler
    Show

Karkat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tavros.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kanaya.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vriska.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mierfa Durgas (left) and Nektan Whelan (right).
    Spoiler
    Show

My fantroll as a grub.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs again*

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    A couple of questions:

If I were to write a longer story expanded from my second submission here that included the same scene (though rewritten), would that be okay to submit?

Can I start working on next week's submissions, or should I wait until the standings for the week are posted? I'll wait unless I'm told it's okay to go ahead.
    1) If it's not this specific piece of text, sure. We haven't found any ways to measure editing, so it would have to be entirely (or as good as entirely) rewritten. But if that happens, I see absolutely no problem.

2) The count goes from Monday to Sunday, so just start creating as soon as the new week starts.
    I used to do the status when Sunday ended everywhere (which is Monday early noon for me), but then my Mondays filled up, and I didn't have time until evening. Now I just keep it at Monday evening out of habit.

Actually, y'know what. I'm moving the count back to my Monday morning (though some hours earlier than the "ends everywhere" point, so I can get to work). I don't like cutting so far into the week, and it'll give me less stress during the actual day.

I'm gonna be lenient with the deadline for the first week or two, since it's a 13 hour shift, and some of you like to cut it close, but yeah. Back to definitely Sunday as deadline.

Don't want to step on toes, but since I brought it up, if I could make a case? I think in order to make a solid determination we'd need a little more info.

The two key points I can see are genre and development tools, if nothing else. Genre-wise, an RPG would have art and dialogue assets to its credit, for example, while action games may only have art assets. I could also see well-crafted levels or map sections being counted, perhaps.

The coding side of it seems outside the scope of this challenge in general, but if it's hand-coded, rather than using tools, that seems fuzzier.

All of this is Glass Mouse's call in the end, but that's my two.
    Yeah, what redfeatherraven said. What can be covered under the existing rules, should be counted under those

I have no idea if/how we would count coding. A character count is the only idea that comes to mind, but considering that coding is 90% tweaking, it's not really feasible.
    Unless someone has a great idea, I think we'll have to declare coding off-limits for the Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    Oh my gosh, that is ADORABLE!

Next up: STATUS!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Status! And so many themes followed!

Glass Mouse passes with six dress-up drawings.

Lycunadari is back on September 8.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 600 words of writings, and four riddles, one of which is "Marshmellow".

MeanMrsMustard passes with four troll portraits, a silhouette picture and a troll grub.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1,519 words of novel writings and a Marshmellow war stick drawing.

redfeatherraven passes with 2,426 words words of creature descriptions including weird marshmellowy critters.

Grinner didn't upload/send me anything.

rs2excelsior passes with 1,022 words of philosophical horror and a 658 word sci-fi story with a theme drop.

Thus, Grinner FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard, D.KnightSpider, redfeatherraven and rs2excelsior PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 148 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 28 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 19 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 13 weeks

redfeatherraven

Grinner

rs2excelsior

This week's theme, chosen by redfeatherraven, is Ooo, Shiny!

Next week's theme is chosen by Grinner - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #1163

I have no idea if/how we would count coding. A character count is the only idea that comes to mind, but considering that coding is 90% tweaking, it's not really feasible.
    Unless someone has a great idea, I think we'll have to declare coding off-limits for the Challenge.
    My very short thought on the matter is that, truthfully, off-limits is probably best. I've included the very long thought below, spoiler'd for the wall-of-text averse.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can certainly appreciate creative coding, and as with any problem-solving there are certainly many creative approaches to problems. The problems all come down to classification and identification

How you define or classify a problem can also have myriad effects - high-level problems could require numerous functions to resolve, while more practical functions could take little more than a few lines of code. This would probably be the most fair criterion to judge creatively, since line counts and character counts which work fine for written submissions work against the philosophies of compact and efficient coding, which to be perfectly blunt are more important in that field.

Most importantly, we'd need someone qualified to look through the coding and grade how creatively it solves its problems, and then quantify that in a number of submissions. Quite frankly I can only speak for myself in this regard, and speaking for myself I'm not qualified to review anything but very small, low-concept bits of programming, and I don't know anyone else who would be able to sift through source code in a timely fashion.

I think there are cases to be made - if only philosophically - but in the end I feel it's outside the spirit of the challenge, and outside the scope of what the present body could review. I believe the best way to apply that spirit - increasing output as a method to practice - would be a separate challenge altogether, where samples could be judged on what is truly important to coding - not shoehorned in with criterion defined for and better applied to other written works.

Again, if tools are being used, I don't think it's much of a point of contention. The games that I intend to work on with RPG Maker, for example, need not be judged on their coding at all, because I'm doing little to none. And in those cases I think we've established the submission can be graded on assets or documentation created for the game instead.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Troll in the Playground

How you define or classify a problem can also have myriad effects - high-level problems could require numerous functions to resolve, while more practical functions could take little more than a few lines of code. This would probably be the most fair criterion to judge creatively, since line counts and character counts which work fine for written submissions work against the philosophies of compact and efficient coding, which to be perfectly blunt are more important in that field.

Most importantly, we'd need someone qualified to look through the coding and grade how creatively it solves its problems, and then quantify that in a number of submissions. Quite frankly I can only speak for myself in this regard, and speaking for myself I'm not qualified to review anything but very small, low-concept bits of programming, and I don't know anyone else who would be able to sift through source code in a timely fashion.
    I hate to be the non-participant complainer, but for the sake of discussion, I must. Forgive me.

So let's be honest. The judging criteria are absolutely farcical. The only fair metric we've got is for writers, since they rely on word count. Pictures invariably go for only a single point apiece, regardless of complexity. That octopus I drew a couple weeks back? Didn't take more than thirty minutes maximum, including research time. Those stick figure avatars? I spend hours each on those. Poetry is a joke. If I just wrote six haiku each week, I'd be passing every week. 30 seconds of video for one point? Do you have any idea how much time 30 seconds of stop-motion or CG takes? I'd be better off making funny faces in front of a camera for three minutes.

Put simply, I don't think anyone is here for the sake of fairness or quality. I think we're here because we love making things.

Now, game programmers are often advised to create a feature list before undertaking a project. That can be applied here. Before submitting code, the programmer should be required to submit a checklist of features. When he finishes one item, he can submit the code in exchange for one point, regardless of the complexity of the task. After (open?) review, the submission can be accepted if it looks like it accomplishes that particular goal.

Again, if tools are being used, I don't think it's much of a point of contention. The games that I intend to work on with RPG Maker, for example, need not be judged on their coding at all, because I'm doing little to none. And in those cases I think we've established the submission can be graded on assets or documentation created for the game instead.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-08-26 at 09:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1165

Before submitting code, the programmer should be required to submit a checklist of features. When he finishes one item, he can submit the code in exchange for one point, regardless of the complexity of the task. After (open?) review, the submission can be accepted if it looks like it accomplishes that particular goal.
    I overall like this as a metric. I do point out that in order to verify that final point, however, the code would either have to be heavily documented so that the logic could be followed, or be able to run and demonstrate its function independently.

The final call is up to Glass Mouse, but I'm willing to endorse this.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Now, game programmers are often advised to create a feature list before undertaking a project. That can be applied here. Before submitting code, the programmer should be required to submit a checklist of features. When he finishes one item, he can submit the code in exchange for one point, regardless of the complexity of the task. After (open?) review, the submission can be accepted if it looks like it accomplishes that particular goal.
    This is a GREAT idea! That's definitely workable (with redfeatherraven's add-on - but we all document our code anyway, right? )
    As a complete coding amateur, I gotta ask though - what constitutes a feature in this sense? I know it's open to interpretation, but a guideline or two would be nice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Troll in the Playground

This is a GREAT idea! That's definitely workable (with redfeatherraven's add-on - but we all document our code anyway, right? )
    Whaddya mean?! Code is self-documenting!

As a complete coding amateur, I gotta ask though - what constitutes a feature in this sense? I know it's open to interpretation, but a guideline or two would be nice.
    Well, we're really looking to break the desired program down into a large number of small goals, so it shouldn't need to be anything especially complex. However, it does need to be a noticeable *addition* to the program's functionality. I don't think simple optimizations or bugfixes should count.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-08-27 at 05:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1168

I agree, although I think it would be safe to make a consideration for a large batch of bugfixes and/or optimizations, depending on the needs of the program itself. Sometimes the program might need more TLC, you know?

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1251 words of Sci-Fi short story, following the events of my previous sci-fi submission:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the weeks since that first firefight, I hadn't seen much more action. The tank had been recovered once again, and was back with the 98th. The Lieutenant's tank still hadn't been replaced, nor had he; Platoon Sergeant Webb currently commanded the three tanks of 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 98th Armored Battalion.
    There had been some fighting. They had scrounged up two experienced tankers to take over the commander's and gunner's slots while I remained the driver. The division had been placed on a line encircling one of the planet's main industrial regions, which was currently held by Republican forces still resisting the Confederation here. The factories were supplying the Republicans with ammunition and repair. The Navy could have bombarded them into dust from orbit, but it would take decades to rebuild. The point was to take them intact. Or as close to intact as possible.
    There hadn't been much fighting on this part of the line. Both the 12th Armored Division and its Republican counterpart were both shot up and exhausted. Sure, there was the occasional probe, and every now and then the Republicans would probe Confederation lines or vice versa. It was never too serious, though.
    I strolled from my tank to Sergeant Webb's command post, which was a tarp slung from the side of his tank, sloshing through mud which the rains had left behind. The crew of the platoon's third vehicle was on their way as well. The Sergeant had told them all to be there at 1530 local time. Probably a message coming through from Battalion.
    The sergeant, a short but thick man in his late twenties, stood alone outside his tank. His gunner and driver kept the vehicle hot, watching the sensors, so the platoon wouldn't be caught unawares if the enemy chose this moment to act. Whatever message would be sent to their helmet intercoms, as well.
    The seven of us gathered around a small communications console. A few glanced at Webb in a wordless question; he shrugged, indicating he had no more idea than us about the meeting's purpose.
    The hologram projector shimmered to life. Instead of Lieutenant Colonel Hill, whom I had expected, it showed a much greyer man on whose collars rested double starbursts.
    I straightened reflexively, even though the connection only went one way.
    Bloody Hell, that's the general.
    Major General Humphreys, commanding officer of the 12th Armored Division, began speaking. Troopers, we're moving out. IX Corps is the last formation the Republicans expect to attack them, so we're going to be the ones that do. The Republicans facing us are just as worn out and shot up as we are. The rest of the corps is going to feint, then we go in. We're going to hit them hard, hit them fast, and keep moving. Intelligence has identified several supply and command centers behind their lines. That's our target. We're going to move by companies. Do whatever damage you can, but don't stop. If you can't shoot your way through it, go around it. Corps artillery will be on call as soon as you go in. The general's image disappeared, replaced by a map of the 12th's sector. Arrows appeared on the map as he spoke. First Brigade, swing to the north. Your targets will be given to you by your CO. Once you clean them up, seize the ridgeline here and provide fire support. Second Brigade, you go south. Same deal for you. You're going to be the screen that keeps enemy reinforcements from breaking through. Third--that was us--you go straight through the center. We think the headquarters for their entire corps is right in front of you, so you'll probably run into the stiffest resistance. Nothing you can't handle, though. Be ready to send reinforcements to Second if they need it. Humphreys' image returned, and he paused. I won't tell you this'll be easy, troopers, because it won't. We'll likely catch the Republicans with their pants down, but they're no idiots out there. There will be fighting, and some of you won't be coming home. I will tell you, though, that I will be there with you. My headquarters company will go forward with Second Brigade. General Greene isn't happy with me for that, but there's not much for me to do once you jump off. I won't have it said that I sent my troopers into a dangerous situation while I sat back in safety behind the lines. Another pause. We move in four hours, troopers. That's 1930. Good hunting.
    General Humphreys vanished. Hurried briefings would be shuttled down the chain of command. The timing was tight, but necessary to keep the enemy from getting wind of the plan. Sergeant Webb looked at us.
    "You heard the man. Get packed and ready to move. This was the first I heard of this lovely little jaunt too, so I only know what you do. I'll pass along what I find out as I hear it."
    The little group split up. I was outpaced by my two crewmates, who were nervous at the promise of action. They didn't speak, but their silent, darting glances and hurried pace made it clear anyhow.
    Which, of course, didn't mean I wasn't nervous. I just hid it better.

Some time later an aircar approached our platoon's line from behind, with several tanks in tow. The smaller vehicle led its charges from a fair distance to avoid the turbulence cascading from their skirts and the mud the entire group sent flying. A man stood up in the car's open compartment as it slowed near us. It was Captain Johnston, our company CO. One of the tanks broke from the line and grounded its skirts just behind the car. I sat up from the tarp laying beside our tank.
    "Sergeant Webb!" the captain called. The sergeant hurried over from where he had been studying terrain on his command console. The two conversed for a moment, too softly for me to hear. Webb gestured to the commander of the nearest tank, who was standing with his torso out of the hatch at the top of the turret. After Webb moved off, the tank slid into position on the far side of my own vehicle. Webb looked in the direction of the newcomer, then my helmet radio crackled to life with our interim platoon commander's voice.
    First Platoon, listen up. We've got some replacements. Sergeant Pickett and his crew will be joining us for this run. They just landed a week ago. First combat deployment. Sergeant Sykes--my vehicle commander--you're still with me. Sergeant Greene, you and Pickett will be second section, Greene in command. He stopped for a moment, thinking what to say next. Stay sharp, troopers. We move in two hours.
    Just then, the artillery began to roar, signaling the start of the diversionary attack. Smoke began to gather over the Republican lines to the east, punctuated by orange and red flashes. Moments later, their artillery began to respond. Shells screamed overhead, right now engaging the Confederation artillery batteries, but you never knew when a Republican gunner might decide I needed a good blowing up.
    I had a scowl on my face. This run would be tough enough without having to babysit a crew of newbies. Though the extra vehicle would help.
    It wasn't until much later that I realized I had stopped thinking of myself as a newbie, and that I didn't really know when the change had taken place.

And a hand-drawn team patch for the famous monster-hunting company, Monster Hunters International:
    Spoiler
    Show

For those of you who don't know, MHI is a private monster hunting company from the series of books by Larry Correia. This is my own design for a patch. It's supposed to be a vampire skull, but the fangs aren't quite as visible as I'd have liked. The Latin across the top, NON NOCTEM TIMEMUS, means "we do not fear the night."

-----

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree, although I think it would be safe to make a consideration for a large batch of bugfixes and/or optimizations, depending on the needs of the program itself. Sometimes the program might need more TLC, you know?
    I agree that it makes sense from a creative standpoint. But I'm not sure how to count it (though the upside is that if we find a way, it can probably be applied to regular writing too).
    Editing/tweaking X amount of code/writing = one piece. ?

Also, in regards to counting things, I'm (finally!) starting my webcomic this Friday. This is great, and I'm looking forward to it!
    "Problem" is, I'm operating with a buffer, so I can't show my work on the week I create it (since all my "proof" channels are, by necessity, public). So I'll ask for an arrangement like the one I had last time I had a webcomic - as long as I maintain a regular schedule, I can count the work that's uploaded, not the one I actually make. I know it's irregular, but I'd let it fly with anyone else, so I allow myself to ask if you guys have any protests.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-09-01 at 12:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge