New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony: Because Friendship Is Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    I think that this episode provided another instance of evidence that Princess Celestia is not a benevolent ruler, but is instead a ruthless overlord. When there was a pony in imminent risk of death from a situation she easily could have stopped with her god-like powers, she instead chose to just wait for a last second save that was entirely unlikely to happen. Truly, she must rule Equestria with an iron hoof, crushing the ponyteriat all the while.
    Also consider that Rainbow Dash was legitimately afraid she'd be banished to the Everfree Forest for giving a poor performance. And from what we know of that place, that's a cruel and unusual method of execution.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, Fluttershy's cheering was so incredibly cute. Yay.

And even more "Derpy" with crossed eyes. I guess that from now on, whenever we're going to see her, she'll have those eyes forever and ever.

Also, I still love Rarity, even although her make-up was beyond good and evil... However, it was Rarity's idea that the four of them go to Cloudsdale and help cheer Rainbow Dash in the first place, so her getting her heads full with her (quite filligrane and yet indeed wonderful) wings is forgiven. And she didn't mean it in a bad way.

And now we know even more about Equestrian society. Every snow-flake is hoove-made. They have a huge industrial center in the sky.
    Rainbows are too spicy even for Pinkie Pie... I seriouly believe that this is some kind of innuendo about all the "jokes" about Rainbow Dash being a lesbian. I mean, if we get more Derpy Hooves with lazy eyes because of /co/, then it's quite probable to incorporate "hidden" messages about that crazy idea.

Regarding Celestia... If Rainbow Dash really thinks that their god-queen would seriously banish a pony to the Everfree Forest for displeasing her eyes, where deadly titanic starbears lurk, then perhaps all that talk about her suppressing the "ponytariat" does have some merit...

Truly a fairy society, just with cute little ponies instead of brownies, pixies and elves...

3. - Top - End - #393

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    And now we know even more about Equestrian society. Every snow-flake is hoove-made. They have a huge industrial center in the sky.
    Rainbows are too spicy even for Pinkie Pie... I seriouly believe that this is some kind of innuendo about all the "jokes" about Rainbow Dash being a lesbian. I mean, if we get more Derpy Hooves with lazy eyes because of /co/, then it's quite probable to incorporate "hidden" messages about that crazy idea.
    The Rainbows bit was a deliberate dig at those sweets commercials (Skittles, I think) with the tagline "Taste the Rainbow!"

The counter-lesbian joke comes in when she flies off with two men in her arms at the end of the episode.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The counter-lesbian joke comes in when she flies off with two men in her arms at the end of the episode.
    Were those men? They didn't have the Clydesdale shape - they had the standard female pony shape.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-02-19 at 05:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, as if hard evidence could ever change the fixated opinion of people on the Internet.

Also, my little cockney-accent worker pony.
    Spoiler
    Show

That settles it. Unicorn ponies are the aristocrats, pegasus ponies the blue collar middle class, and earth ponies are lowly peasants.

And yeah, Rainbow Dash did leave with male ponies. They had the angular face shape that is common to most male ponies.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Best day ever!

I know there's already at least one Guile Theme Goes With Everything about Friendship Is Magic on YouTube, but I really hope this episode gets the same treatment.

Sonic Rainboom indeed.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Best day ever!

I know there's already at least one Guile Theme Goes With Everything about Friendship Is Magic on YouTube, but I really hope this episode gets the same treatment.

Sonic Rainboom indeed.
    Guile's Theme Goes With Everything - Sonic Rainboom

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Inevitable, but perfect.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. The best day ever just got even beter.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    I will not say that the newest episode is already in youtube, nor will I say that it isn't uploaded in the usual channels.

I will, however, inform you all that you can contact me via PM if you want to know more about those things I'm not telling about.
    You know, given that the Hub don't care about the youtube videos (it is said they like the publicity it gives the show) and they haven't made attempts to take them down (pensivepine's account got taken down at one point but it turns out that was due to the videos that weren't My Little Pony) is it possible we can maybe start directly linking to the videos here? It would make a number of things easier.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    You know, given that the Hub don't care about the youtube videos (it is said they like the publicity it gives the show) and they haven't made attempts to take them down (pensivepine's account got taken down at one point but it turns out that was due to the videos that weren't My Little Pony) is it possible we can maybe start directly linking to the videos here? It would make a number of things easier.
    I believe that even if YouTube itself isn't the problem that linking to such videos would be against the rules of this forum, and thus still verboten.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

I believe that even if YouTube itself isn't the problem that linking to such videos would be against the rules of this forum, and thus still verboten.
    Considering how helpful it would be, maybe someone should ask a Mod directly?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even Lauren Faust said at one point to check out some episode in youtube. Still, for now, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Sooo... I wonder if this is any good.

Note that if you might say 'yes' I might actually watch a few episodes.

And than critique them :P

And I'm told my critique turns threads into bleak zones of bitterness and naked truth :E
    Above Us Only Sky

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Sooo... I wonder if this is any good.

Note that if you might say 'yes' I might actually watch a few episodes.
    Of course its good. It takes place in a non-bleak dystopian future ruled by essentially an unquestionable god-empress that has segregated her people into immutable castes based on race, where the freedom of nature is demonized and banished beyond the bounds of civilization, and 'friendship' is harvested to fuel the magic that keeps everything running.

Also, everyone happens to be ponies.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-02-19 at 05:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I watched the first two episodes and was disappointed by the ending. I mean you introduce a pretty cool antagonist only to get rid of her entirely very quickly... and now to watch episode 3...
    Last edited by Ragingsystem; 2011-02-19 at 06:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingsystem View Post
    I watched the first two episodes and was disappointed by the ending. I mean you introduce a pretty cool antagonist only to get rid of her entirely very quickly...
    You know, you could have spoilered that :|

Congratulations, my critique will be extra 250% more bitter :E
    Above Us Only Sky

18. - Top - End - #408

Sorry about that I wasn't thinking.
    Last edited by Ragingsystem; 2011-02-19 at 06:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I watched the first two episodes and was disappointed by the ending. I mean you introduce a pretty cool antagonist only to get rid of her entirely very quickly... and now to watch episode 3...
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps to think about it in these terms, the reason this happened is because the first two episodes were not designed with a larger show in mind, but rather as a demonstration of Flash animation. Everything had to conclude in such short order because there wasn't supposed to be anything more than what you saw there. But it was two awesome for a 40-minute video, and spilled out into what is now Friendship is Magic.

Yay ponies.

20. - Top - End - #410

Spoiler
    Show
    That was kind of what I figured. The first two episodes reminded me of a movie and the rest has been sort of like a spin off. But it's like a really good spin off that's true to the original.

It's not often I like a show made for little girls it is made by the artist of power puff girls though. In other words Yay ponies.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That was kind of what I figured. The first two episodes reminded me of a movie and the rest has been sort of like a spin off. But it's like a really good spin off that's true to the original.

It's not often I like a show made for little girls it is made by the artist of power puff girls though. In other words Yay ponies.
    As I understand it, Lauren Faust wanted an overarching plot, but was foiled by executive meddling. I think that the first two episodes are the ultra-condensed version of an entire story arc.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

22. - Top - End - #412

As I understand it, Lauren Faust wanted an overarching plot, but was foiled by executive meddling. I think that the first two episodes are the ultra-condensed version of an entire story arc.
    That's lame I mean this show is awesome and all but the plot would be better if they stuck with the plot more damn you executives!

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Were those men? They didn't have the Clydesdale shape - they had the standard female pony shape.
    *Stares at the frame for 10 minutes*

You may be right.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

They pretty clearly had male faces.

Exhibit A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

25. - Top - End - #415

Ah, it is clearer from that angle.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    They pretty clearly had male faces.

Exhibit A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you know what this means?!

Rainbow Dash likes her women with tomboyish facial features! It makes perfect sense now.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

That's lame I mean this show is awesome and all but the plot would be better if they stuck with the plot more damn you executives!
    If the second episode was any indication of how well an epic plot would be handled I'm kinda glad they went with what they did.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you know what this means?!

Rainbow Dash likes her women with tomboyish facial features! It makes perfect sense now.
    The Wonderbolt who actually spoke with Rainbow was absolutely positively 100% female. Even if the two she left with in the final scene were stallions, the Wonderbolts are a split gendered team. And even if they weren't, she's going to hang out with her childhood heroes. There's zero sexual connotations to the whole thing.

As for the rest of it, just... I mean, look at her. If she's not chasing skirts I will eat my hat. No 2 second video clip will disavow me of that notion.

If the second episode was any indication of how well an epic plot would be handled I'm kinda glad they went with what they did.
    I think the show just lends itself better to a day-to-day slice of life type of show rather than a big super epic bonanza, even if there's room for some of that stuff too. There's a big upswing in quality between episodes 2 and 3, which is kinda hard to ignore. If executive meddling caused that, then its good that the executives meddled.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    And even if they weren't, she's going to hang out with her childhood heroes. There's zero sexual connotations to the whole thing.
    Obviously there's no sexual connotation. But, if people only made crude sexual jokes about sexual connotations that actually existed, then there'd only be like 40% as much of it in the world.

I think the show just lends itself better to a day-to-day slice of life type of show...
    I don't think this show qualifies as "slice of life". Things happen. Events transpire.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Obviously there's no sexual connotation. But, if people only made crude sexual jokes about sexual connotations that actually existed, then there'd only be like 40% as much of it in the world. :smalltongue
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'm wondering why after watching that episode instead of finding a hundred million new FluttershyxRainbow Dash ships, there's a ton of commotion about how she touched a boy that's so ickyyyyyyyy.

I mean... what?