New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

It was becoming steadily more clear to me that no one was going to make this thread, so I guess I'll do it since we're at page 50.

Here's a brief synopsis of what Mythos Classes are by Kymme from the last thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Mythos Classes:

The Mythos classes are homebrew classes created by Xefas that use Mythos, abilities that describe the stories that the classes tell and are told about them. The classes are about around Tier 2 in terms of power and are intended to represent truly mythical characters who are far more powerful than the mundane citizens of the story that takes place around them. They are intended to be extremely high powered and fit in with the other Tier 1-2 classes for a high power game.
    Here're some links.

The Mythos Compendium. Where all the works of Mythos are stored by qazzquimby, both mine and others.
    My Homebrew Signature. If you just want the stuff made by me.
    The Mythos Setting Timeline. If you just want the fluff.

Mythos Homebrew Discussion I
    Mythos Homebrew Discussion II: Where Simplicity Goes To Die

If anyone feels strongly enough about adding any more links to specific things, just say so. I just started with what I felt were the basics.

Anyway, I think we were discussing how much violence is enough violence.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion III: Grievous Imbalance Is A Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Is this supposed to be a joke? The answer should be... like... super obvious.

Also! I'm taking suggestions as to a better name for the Mythic Time-Bender. For some reason 'Fylakas' just isn't very satisfying.

As to what else the Teramach hates... Is there a whole lot of self-hate going on? That might be some interesting design space.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3

More specifically, I had pointed out that the phrase "enough violence" cannot actually be used in conjunction with the Monster or any derivative anthols.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ah, the reason I require a list of things a Teramach hates its to provide vague goals for a new mechanic. Once Exalted level is reached, "Everything" is appropriate. But what about at lower levels? That's what I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Also! I'm taking suggestions as to a better name for the Mythic Time-Bender. For some reason 'Fylakas' just isn't very satisfying.
    Kairatos was my working name for The Apeiron's Mythos. It's a perversion of the "kairos."
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Kairatos was my working name for The Apeiron's Mythos. It's a perversion of the "kairos."
    Oh. There doesn't even need to be any corruption; the class can just be called "The Kairos". That feels better. Thanks Tem.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ok, probably the last thing before I reveal what I've been making: I need a dozen or so names (first or last) that a Teramach might be known by. It's not vital, but it'll make me finish it :P
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... You don't think that applying the miss chance is enough? You think I should apply the bonuses as well? Like... While benefiting from this you might seem to move at increased speed, but if you're on the receiving end, you might appear to move in slow motion. Something like that?
    I was just talking about those advantages in general, without consideration for which ones should and should not be used in specific. I think I would have defaulted to "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, so probably use all of them at one stage or another." but whatever makes things work the best, which is hard for anyone to tell without seeing a full rough draft.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Small question to every one since we dismantle exalted how we can make daiklave via mythos class

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Here. Have this. I made this. It is messy. It is dumb. It is also mine. I lied. It's Xefas'. Never mind that.

Spoiler: THE TERAMACH, for use in Dungeon World
    Show

Name: Omnom, Ripper, Burnt, Siddhran, Razortooth

Look:
    Body – Oversized, fleshy, scarred
    Eyes – Blazing, squinty, dripping, hollow
    Teeth – Shark-like, blocky, fanged
    Mulscles – Shredded, ripped, grotesque

Damage: 1d12
    HP: 10+Constitution

Alignment:
    Chaotic – Break the law and/or defy common sense
    Evil – Enjoy… the suffering of a sentient creature
    Hungry – Eat a lot of something, probably food

Race:
    You may have been an elf, dwarf, halfling, or human before, but you sure aren’t one now.

Chewer – You can eat anything solid or drink anything liquid and gain sustenance from it
    Pounder – Your hands and feet are nigh indestructible
    Freakshow – When your very presence horrifies someone, gain 1 XP

Bonds (maximum of two):
    _____ will die. Probably by my hands.
    I can tell that _____ has a Monster within.

Starting Moves:
    The Monsters Mythos – You gain a pool of Rage points equal to your STR+half your level. You can spend a point to turn a missed Hack and Slash roll, Defy Danger roll using Strength, Dexterity or Constitution, or any Teramach move into a partial hit. You gain one point of Rage each time you make progress towards destroying one of your Hatreds. You can also gain 1 XP per session for making significant progress in your quest for the destruction of your Hatreds. Choose two:

- The Trappings of Civilisation
    - Beauty, Purity and Innocence
    - Threats to Your Place in the Food Chain
    - Complexity
    - Imperfection

You also gain a Rage point each time you rip an enemy to shreds. By DM’s discretion, any missed roll made in pursuit of destroying one of your Hatreds may also be turned into a partial hit by expending a point. While you have at least one Rage point, you are incapable of showing any restraint in your attacks, you cannot flee from battle, and you can never, never show mercy to fallen enemies. Additionally, any creature that attacks you in any way is treated as an enemy for all purposes.

Primitive Brutality – You lose the ability to use manufactured weapons. In return, your unarmed attacks gain the messy and forceful tags, and are always able to be used to Hack and Slash, and you suffer no risk for going into melee unarmed. Additionally, improvised weaponry, the random detritus of combat, are always usable in a similar fashion to your unarmed attacks, however, they must have been collected within the last few moments. After a man has been killed with his own dinner table, that table's purpose, and its charm, are gone. The Teramach cannot coax more enthusiasm into it, any more than an artist can simply disgorge inspiration on command.

Scarred Flesh – You lose the ability to gain any benefit from manufactured armor or shields. Instead, you gain armor equal to your STR.

Starting gear:
    The clothes on your back

Max load: 12+STR

Advanced Moves:

2-5
    All-Consuming Rampage Release – The Monster is angry. Very, very angry. It's angry that it exists. It's angry that others exist. It's angry at the sky above its head, and the ground beneath its feet. Nothing has ever been made that does not make it angry. How is it not justice to repay in kind so infuriating a world? Gain a Rage point each time you enter combat, so long as it is a violent entry.

Fury Is Freedom – Spend a Rage point and suffer 1d4 damage to negate an ongoing effect you are suffering from

God-Smashing Blow – When you Hack and Slash, on a 10+ you knock your enemy to the ground

Psychotic Sapience-Brutalizing Devolution – Complexity is pain and weakness and indecision. To become the Monster is to gain the certainty never afforded to men. That terrible creature long ago tore from itself all of that which was not rage and murder, and by subtraction it became perfect and complete in its atrocity.

By letting go of your complexity, take the Stunned debility and gain a Rage point. While you have this debility, you may act normally, except you cannot speak and take -1 to INT. In return, you may spend a Rage point to turn a missed Defy Danger using INT, into a partial hit.

Raging Behemoth Charge – Enemies no longer have the drop on you, so long as you run and attack them straight away

Retribution Will Follow – Whenever a new enemy attacks you, you gain a Rage point, but you must kill them before you do anything else

Sacrosanct Blood-Titan Idol Adoption – You regain the ability to use manufactured weapons, but only if you have stolen them in combat in the last few moments. After that, you have no clue what you are doing with it.

World-Breaker Grip - When the Monster looks at the world, all it sees are things to kill, and things to kill with. The two are certainly not mutually exclusive. When you Hack and Slash while holding an enemy, you deal half the damage to the enemy you are holding.

Screaming Meat Shield (Requires World-Breaker Grip) – Enemies that you use as weapons take the full damage from being used to Hack and Slash. Additionally, any enemy that attacks you must Defy Danger to avoid hitting their ally.

Hot-Blooded Lunatic Conflagration – You become immune to non-magical fire. When you come in contact with fire, spend a Rage point to become wreathed in it for the next few moments. Any enemy that hits you or is hit by you must Defy Danger to avoid being set alight

Post Traumatic Brutality Roar – You have leverage against all sentient enemies that have seen you murder another sentient being. The leverage of course is “not being dismembered like that guy”. When you scream at them to use this leverage, roll+STR instead of +CHA. If you have the Scarred debility, you take +1 to this. For obvious reasons.

Solipsistic Reality-Rejecting Devolution - By letting go of your common sense, take the Confused debility and gain a Rage point. While you have this debility, you may act normally, but struggle to detect fine detail. You would be able notice that a ninja was sneaking up on you, but you would struggle to notice that his clothes are "black", instead of "orange", or "chair", or "quadratic meat bicycle", and take -1 to WIS. In return, you may spend a Rage point to turn a missed Defy Danger using WIS, into a partial hit.

6-10
    Humanity-Reaving Psychosis Echo (Requires Post Traumatic Brutality Roar) – When you use PTBR, enemies must Defy Danger or be permanently damaged by their exposure to you. They must choose between taking -1 ongoing against you, forever, or becoming more like you. If they choose to become more like you, their alignment switches to “Evil – Enjoy… the suffering of a sentient creature”. These creatures are known as Reavers. If a group of Reavers tortures a sentient creature to death, that creature may choose to become a Reaver instead of being killed. You need never attack a Reaver if you do not want to.

Perpetual Rage Engine – When you reach the maximum number of Rage points, you increase in height and weight for the remainder of the battle. Enemies that Defy Danger to try and avoid or get away from you take -1.

Tireless Abomination Vitality – Spend a Rage point as soon as you get it to heal 2d4 hitpoints. Rage points you spend from your pool heal 1d4 hitpoints instead.

Meaningless Force-of-Nature Devolution - By letting go of your understanding of your own limitations, take the Scarred debility and gain a Rage point. While you have this debility, your hatred for living creatures transcends the physical. By spending a Rage point, you can detect any sentient, living creature within a small area for a few moments. This is not True Seeing or anything similar, you just know where they are through the residual hatred you feel for their continued existence

Rampaging Through Paper Cities – When you destroy an inanimate object with unimaginable strength, roll+STR. Take +1 if the object is in your way. It is destroyed. On a 10+, choose one:
    - It takes absolutely no time at all to destroy it, you just plow through it
    - You are left with a nifty improvised weapon
    - The spray of shrapnel can damage nearby enemies
    - The damage spreads throughout nearby connected elements, for example, you could punch a single brick in a castle wall, and the castle wall would collapse
    On a miss, it is still destroyed, but it probably wasn’t a good idea to do so.

11-15 (Exalted)
    Body Of Samsara's Supernal Monster (Requires Meaningless Force-of-Nature Devolution) – When you activate the hate-sense of MF-o-ND and you detect no allies, you may transform into the Body of Samsara's Supernal Monster. You double in size, the Hate-sense is permanently on, and you take +1 ongoing. If an ally enters your hate-sense field, either designate them an enemy or Defy Danger with WIS to remain Supernal. You must reroll this every time you make a move with an ally in the hate-sense field, taking -1 cumulatively for each time you have had to make the roll during the current transformation.

Land-Shaping Limitation Ignorance – Once per day, for a single moment, there is nothing you cannot kill or destroy in a single punch.

Protagonism-Devouring Legend Singularity – Enemies that you kill can never be revived. Additionally, if they can’t be killed for some reason, you can kill them. If they would come alive some time later, they don’t. If the DM disagrees with you, spend all your Rage points. The enemy dies when you kill it, and it stays dead.

Manifold Flesh-Monster Armory – You suddenly grow an additional four ‘arms’. Each ‘arm’ along with your original set, can take any form, from twisting tentacles to scything appendages to pounding fists. Your unarmed attacks gain +1 damage and the reach, near, piercing 2 tags. Your damage with unarmed attacks becomes b[2d12].

Sun-Eating Gorge-Monster Gluttony (Requires Rampaging Through Paper Cities) – When you use Rampaging Through Paper cities, you can pick two options, so long as one of them is the damage spread. When you do so, the damage is not a kick or a punch, but the tremendous pressure of your hunger, sucking in all destroyed objects or parts of objects in the area. If you manage to eat a huge amount, you may choose to vomit it up, dealing your damage to any enemies in front of you within near range.

Unconquerable Swallowed-Sun Prana (Requires Sun-Eating Gorge-Monster Gluttony, and for you to have eaten a sun) – Spend a Rage point and chose a point within far range. You breathe forth the radiance of the sun you have devoured in a line. Any enemy hit directly must Defy Danger or be incinerated, and any enemies or objects in the general vicinity are at risk of the intense heat.

Within A Perfect World, I Would Be Dead (Requires Humanity-Reaving Psychosis Echo and a large number of Reavers that worship, fear and/or hate you) – But the world isn’t perfect. When you die, the Reavers you influence begin fighting, murdering each other in a frenzy of violence. After about a month, a new alpha Reaver has arisen to take your place. They now the exact same stats, starting moves and advanced moves as you did, but will have a different name, look, race and bonds. Large portions of your memories overlay their own, as your essence claims it’s right to rule.

Untamed Apocalypse Shintai – When you take this move, your current Hatreds are removed. In their place, your new Hatred is “Everything”. You must always, always be moving towards sentient living creatures with the intent to kill them. If you do not, you go into a mindless rage until you kill the nearest sentient living creature. When you kill an enemy, you regenerate health equal to your current Rage points, and for the next few moments, instead of being reduced to 0 hitpoints by damage, you are instead reduced to 1 hitpoint.

Yes, this is a 3.5e homebrew class that has been ported into a medieval era hack for the Powered by the Apocalypse system. Deal with it.

So far, it's just a fair few of the Mythos that have been butchered to fit the DW system. Large blocks of flavor text have been copied indiscriminately. A few things have changed. A few things are very much the same. I'll add some brand new stuff when... when I get around to that. What do people think thus far?
    Last edited by spwack; 2015-11-15 at 08:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    What do people think thus far?
    Looks good to me. The version of Dungeon World I've played seems to be older and different (somewhat) from the current one, so I can't say much mechanically. Scarred Flesh seems strong, but that might be just compared to my ye olde Apocalypse World knowledge. Rage Points are something I'd have to see in actual play to get a good feel for, but seem cool. I think you did a beautiful job adapting some Vincent Baker Hack-The-Apocalypse verbage to the abilities. Protagonism-Devouring Legend Singularity in particular gave me a big laugh. I love it.

It seems to me that the Teramach has a place in the Dungeon World lineup. Its Barbarian is defined by a lot more things than just strength and rage, so I think the two can coexist as different archetypes. Like Brick and Krieg.

Might I suggest an ability for dealing bonus damage to Groups or Hordes when you exact unnecessarily gruesome and unnatural violence against them?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Looks good to me. The version of Dungeon World I've played seems to be older and different (somewhat) from the current one, so I can't say much mechanically. Scarred Flesh seems strong, but that might be just compared to my ye olde Apocalypse World knowledge. Rage Points are something I'd have to see in actual play to get a good feel for, but seem cool. I think you did a beautiful job adapting some Vincent Baker Hack-The-Apocalypse verbage to the abilities. Protagonism-Devouring Legend Singularity in particular gave me a big laugh. I love it.

It seems to me that the Teramach has a place in the Dungeon World lineup. Its Barbarian is defined by a lot more things than just strength and rage, so I think the two can coexist as different archetypes. Like Brick and Krieg.

Might I suggest an ability for dealing bonus damage to Groups or Hordes when you exact unnecessarily gruesome and unnatural violence against them?
    Scarred Flesh gives a max of 3 armor, which is equal to an armor+shield combo. It has some utility as it cannot be removed, but it also disallows magic equipment, as per usual.

The Mythos Point and Hatred system is designed to reward insanity with partial immunity to failure. Which is OK I guess. I added the small XP bonuses because without those failures it's much harder. It might be interesting to get rid of this, force the player to decide between spending a point and missing the XP, or shouldering the blow and getting stronger from it.

I also like PDLS. I've moved a few of the more exotic Legendaries and Exalted Mythos into the 11-15 bracket, whereas every other class ends at 10. I'm torn between making levels 1-10 be of the same balance as other classes (and having 11-15 be higher powered), and bringing the whole thing up a notch. What do you think? I'm thinking that levels 1-10 should fit in with every other class, and 11-15 to be allowed or forbidden on a case-by-case basis. On the other hand... it's a Termach. This is Mythos.

I'll add a move that means overkill damage is spread around nearby enemies. It'll be a 2-5 move. An ideas for a name?
    Last edited by spwack; 2015-11-15 at 08:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I had a horrible idea. Mythic Insanity(I'm insane/make people insane...but mostly I'm insane), Mythic Sin(7 deadlies of course), Mythic Ignorance(Billy was actually a "genius", its spelled ORK)

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm dipping my toes back into the Daskalos, the Mythic Teacher, and I'm wondering what would make sense as a way for them to gain more mythos points. Donating to their ally's improvement sounds reasonable, but that might translate to actual mechanical benefits.

Also. There's something in here called Hero-Fondling Hands. I make no apologies.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I... uh... Fondling? Huh. Well, perhaps overly ornate framed achievements of your students could be a decent money sink? And when I say "overly ornate", really go ham.

16. - Top - End - #16

I... uh... Fondling?
    Yes. Fondling.

Huh. Well, perhaps overly ornate framed achievements of your students could be a decent money sink? And when I say "overly ornate", really go ham.
    Oh... I see where you're going with that. Yeah... Yeah I like it. Like paying a bard to wander the land singing of their accomplishments. Or paying a bard to follow them around to record them.
    Last edited by Primal Fury; 2015-11-16 at 11:43 PM.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yes. Fondling.

Oh... I see where you're going with that. Yeah... Yeah I like it. Like paying a bard to wander the land singing of their accomplishments. Or paying a bard to follow them around to record them.
    I was thinking of a trophy wall (and was rather dissatisfied with it), but your idea of any record sounds much better (geddit? Sounds? Because it's a bard?)

18. - Top - End - #18

Tell me how this sounds. I'm especially concerned about the last part with the traveling bard.

A Daskalos also has the ability to learn more Mythos, above the ones automatically allotted to him by leveling up. Whenever he spends resources wholly dedicated to glorifying the deeds of his disciples or allies, he recoups the gold piece value of those resources in mythos points. First, the Daskalos must witness his ally or disciple accomplish a feat worthy of recognition; this can include defeating a well-renowned opponent (such an orc warlord), or solving a centuries old riddle. Next, the Daskalos must determine how they will glorify the accomplishment. For the former example, he might decapitate the orc warlord and pay to have his head magically preserved, serving as a permanent trophy; for the latter example, the Daskalos might record the dialogue between his disciple and the sphinx presenting the riddle, later paying a bard to write an epic poem or compose a song painting them as a great hero accomplishing an impossible task. One could even go as far as to pay a bard to travel with the party to keep track of the group's achievements, paying them a regular salary. It must be noted that, in this final case, the gold piece value only becomes mythos points after the bard both creates AND distributes tales and ballads of your allies' glory.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Tell me how this sounds. I'm especially concerned about the last part with the traveling bard.
    Seems good to me. But I have to add that while you said 'centuries old riddle,' you never specified it had to be unsolved. Any easy riddle for children written 100 years ago might qualify.
    Player Registry and games Here

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Some ramblings off the top of my head:
    Picking the word "Bard" rather than "Minstrel" raises the the possibility of the NPC (or worse, PC) in question serving too useful of a resource, thus getting BOTH a useful party member AND Mythos points out of the payment. Of course, the "wholely dedicated" clause prevents this, but it does indicate a situation that is rather tricky to deal with in a fair manner.

I'll also point out that the whole thing gets a bit tangled (regardless of specific mechanism) when you get into an intrigue/guerilla warfare/stealth based campaign. Perhaps that particular class is simply unsuited for that sort of campaign? I don't even recall what the class is supposed to be, so take that with a grain of salt.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Some ramblings off the top of my head:
    Picking the word "Bard" rather than "Minstrel" raises the the possibility of the NPC (or worse, PC)
    That does make more sense.

I'll also point out that the whole thing gets a bit tangled (regardless of specific mechanism) when you get into an intrigue/guerilla warfare/stealth based campaign. Perhaps that particular class is simply unsuited for that sort of campaign? I don't even recall what the class is supposed to be, so take that with a grain of salt.
    Well... What about propaganda and fear-mongering? Less "Hear ye people! The hero, whose name is Bob, has come to liberate us from tyranny!" and more "Hey guys, did you hear about that masked vigilante, Bob Man? Dude is crazy strong and super cool. Spread the word."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Well... What about propaganda and fear-mongering? Less "Hear ye people! The hero, whose name is Bob, has come to liberate us from tyranny!" and more "Hey guys, did you hear about that masked vigilante, Bob Man? Dude is crazy strong and super cool. Spread the word."
    Yeah, that sounds like the way to go, but you might want to include that explanation in the next draft of the paragraph you posted. Just makes it clearer for anyone who isn't thinking very creatively when they read that paragraph.

Also depends on if the goal is "plausible deniability" or "they would never in their wildest dreams guess it was Bob and his compatriots". Maybe explain that leaving the name "Bob" off it it, or even framing someone (fictitious?) isn't necessarily a deal-killer? Or at least in some campaigns?
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ok, Anakitos port is done. I'm not quite as happy with this one as the Teramach port. I doubt it's the source material, I'm just not really getting the same sense of douche-baggery as I wanted... eh.

---

Spoiler
    Show

Name: Kakarot, Nappa, Bardock, Turles, Raditz, Tarble

Look:
    Eyes – Vibrant, violent, hypnotic, ethereal
    Hair – Flowing, braided, luscious
    Aura – Twisting strands, vibrating essence, soft glow

Damage: d8
    HP: 8+Constituion

Societal Alignment:
    Lawful – Weigh the needs of the group over the needs of the individual
    (Caprice: Don’t do something you are asked to do by authority)
    Chaotic – Weigh the needs of the individual over the needs of the group
    (Anxiety: Avoid making a plan or difficult decision by passing it off to someone else)

Moral Alignment:
    Good – Alleviate the suffering of another
    (Rage: Lash out in sudden violence against perceived injustice)
    Evil – Treat the suffering of another as inconsequential
    (Guilt: Avoid violence at any cost)

Bonds:

Starting Moves:
    The Sun’s Mythos – Each move is marked with [Purity], [Conviction] or [Courage]. Each is a Fetter, a measure of how the Anakitos can uphold the lofty principles that the Sun’s power rests upon. Each Feature comes in three levels, Shining, Waning, and Broken. If a Fetter is Broken, moves relating to that Fetter cannot be used.

[Purity] is a measure of what lengths the Anakitos goes to maintaining their physical integrity. It is reduced by one rank when you take any debility, are poisoned, take more than one third of your hitpoints in damage in one hit, or spend more than a few moments in magical darkness. Purity is increased by one rank after an hour spent meditating. You cannot restore Purity ranks if you are suffering from poison, disease, or are drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

[Conviction] is a measure of your dedication to a particular set of ethics that you hold sacred. It takes the two-part form of your Societal and Moral alignment. You lose one rank of Conviction whenever you deliberately and directly act against your either part of your alignment, or convince someone else to do so. You regain one lost rank whenever you act in accordance with your beliefs, or convince another to act in accordance with your beliefs when they otherwise wouldn't. Along with losing access to [Conviction] moves, one (or both) of your alignments switches to the alternative alignment for 24 hours, or until your [Conviction] is Shining.

[Courage] is a measure of your willingness to accept challenges and threats, and attempt to overcome them even when it is inconvenient or dangerous. Quite simply, you lose a rank of Courage when you decline a challenge that is not completely impossible, and gain a rank when you complete a challenge.

Rising Sun Glory – Add half your Charisma score to maximum HP, and add the forceful tag to your unarmed attacks.

Advanced Moves:
    2-5
    Absolute Victory Meditation [Courage] – Each day at dawn, roll 2d6 a number of time equal to your STR. At any time, you may replace a Hack and Slash roll with one of these Arete dice after you roll. You may reroll your entire Arete pool once per day by meditating for 5 minutes.

Bravery-Inspiring Presence [Courage] - When the great calamity, the red beast, the heart of all monsters stood before the Sun, and galactic tides of horror burnt and withered his world, sending his soldiers fleeing to their deaths, he braced against the flood and did not look away. "Pray, little rebel.,” said the monster-heart, "Cast off your chains, so you may make good sport for my master."

The Sun regarded his golden chains, glimmering in the light of a burning sky. "Make no mistake, creature." He said. "My fetters withhold no strength, but weakness. Mine and others." And the monster-heart looked behind the sun, and four stars there shone, each grasping a link of the Sun's courage.

When you are face to face with a threat, with allies by your side, roll+CHA. On a 10+, choose two, on a 7-9, choose one. One a miss, still choose one but you’ve put yourself in harms way.
    - Allies take +1 armor ongoing until the threat is removed
    - Allies take +2 on Defy Danger rolls to avoid fear

Corruption-Denying Integrity [Purity] – When you Defy Danger to avoid an ongoing affect, on a 10+ choose one.
    - You become immune to that effect
    - Take +1 forward against the source of the effect
    - You impress, dismay or frighten on looking enemies

Unblemished Unity Of Mind And Spirit [Purity] – When you have any penalty to a roll from an enemy effect, take +1 to that roll

Sun-Bronzed God King Physique [Conviction] – Your damage dice increases to d10. When you spend a day in sunlight, your Strength score increases by 1 to a maximum of 18. You can also never sunburn.

That Which is Not the Light [Purity] – Pick an enemy type, take +1 ongoing against them. When dealing with your Favored Enemy, betraying a Good, Chaotic, or Lawful tenet of your Conviction never causes your Conviction to diminish. Respecting the dignity of sentient life is all well and good... unless it's them. We file those atrocities under 'The Greater Good'.

Thousand Sunbeam Array [Courage] – When you Hack and Slash with a manufactured weapon, you can Hack and Slash another enemy with an unarmed attack.

6-10
    Immaculate Sun-Soul Radiance [Purity] - Your soul begins to radiate a kind of pure cosmic energy; too much to be contained in your physical form. The energy leaks out of you in a brilliant nimbus of light - almost always golden in hue, with rare exception. This light shines out to near range, and can be seen from far range, and is natural sunlight in every way. You can suppress this effect through a minute of meditation, but take -1 ongoing and cannot use any abilities with this move as a requirement. You can release your aura in an instant, which always happens if you fall unconscious. You are immune to blindness.

Infinite Supernova Strength [Courage] – When you Hack and Slash, on a 10+ the enemy is knocked to the ground. You never suffer a penalty for attacking an enemy that is larger than you.

Sky-Illuminating Sunfire Projection [Purity] (Requires Immaculate Sun-Soul Radiance) – You can use your aura to fly.

Arms-Of-Heaven Anima Mandala [Purity] (Requires Immaculate Sun-Soul Radiance) – You gain extra set of glowing spectral arms that emerge from your aura. Attacks made with these arms gain the reach tag, and when Hack and Slash an enemy, on a 10+ you deal bonus damage equal to your CHA. If you attack an enemy with both your natural arms and your aura arms, your damage becomes b[1d8], or b[1d10] with Sun-Bronzed God King Physique. When you Hack and Slash an enemy, on a 10+ you deal bonus damage equal to your CHA

Rote Protagonism Strike [Courage] (Requires Absolute Victory Meditation) – You ready your weapon and address your posture towards a particular foe. They understand your intent to harm them, and their body responds as it always does to danger, doing what it can to prevent harm to itself. But then, within the passing of instants, they realize something utterly horrific; today, they woke up believing, as all do, that they were the central character of their own story, the protagonist whose actions were always justified, whose life was interesting and worthwhile simply because they were at the center of it, and they believed themselves to not just be some collection of particles drifting in a vast universe, living in the background of some greater being's tale - and they were wrong. You are the protagonist, not them. This is your story, and the hero always wins. It's what the audience wants, its what the writers churn out by the pounds and tons, its what sells. There was never any choice, never any possibility that your attack would fail, that they would manage to dodge it, that they could withstand it by any herculean feat of endurance, because that would mean that they matter.

Lose an Arete dice and make an attack. Don’t roll, you hit as if you rolled a 12+.

Self-Made Miracle Authority [Purity] – You gain the commune and cast a spell cleric moves. When you select this move, treat yourself as a cleric of level 1 for using spells. Every time you gain a level thereafter, increase your effective cleric level by 1.

11-15

Fiery Daystar Incarnation [Purity] (Requires Immaculate Sun-Soul Radiance) – The cosmic energy flowing from your soul is strengthened and stratified into four layers, the first extending to near range, the second to far range, the third to distant range and the fourth to extreme range. You are immune to all the effects.

Anything in the first layer must Defy Danger or be set alight and blinded if it has eyes. To avoid being blinded, a layer of material or something similar must be in place. Closed eyes will not suffice.

Anything with eyes in the second layer must Defy Danger if it looks directly at you.

Although the heat of the third layer is not enough to deal damage or blind, it does raise the temperature to uncomfortable levels, evaporating moisture into the air, and not allowing it to cool, preventing the formation of natural precipitation. If you stay in the same region for long enough without setting, crops will begin to wither, aquifers will begin to dry up, soil will dry and crack, and animals will be highly confused, possibly deserting the area.

To creatures in the forth layer, you appear as an indistinct light, like an oddly persistent sunrise or sunset.

It now takes you an hour to contain your aura, though it still takes only a moment to release it.

Sol Invictus [Conviction] – You cannot die, and damage never decreases you below 1 hit point.
    Last edited by spwack; 2015-11-20 at 11:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I think the Conviction theme could work really well with Dungeon World's alignment system, but I doubt Purity should be translated so directly. I recall that Apocalypse World had a 'harm' move that you rolled when you suffered harm, where depending on how high you rolled, the MC could tack on some side effects, like getting knocked prone.

If Dungeon World has something like that, you could represent Purity as just adding an additional option for the MC - they can turn one of your powers off as one of their side effect choices if you roll badly on taking harm.

Courage could be something like when you deny a challenge, roll +Cha. On a 10+, you make the challenge sound either too foolish to take seriously or too beneath you to merit notice. On a 7-9, you must blindly accept the challenge without delay, or the MC turns off one of your powers. On a 6 or less, you must blindly accept the challenge without delay, or the MC turns off two of your powers and you take -1 ongoing.

Maybe not that exactly, but something like that.

Conviction could be something like when you act in opposition to one of your alignments or convince someone else to do so, roll +Cha. On a 10+, you justify the act to yourself for now, but take a stacking -1 ongoing to Conviction rolls until you roll a 6 or less on one. On a 7-9, the MC turns off one of your powers and you take a stacking -1 ongoing to Conviction rolls until you roll a 6 or less. On a 6 or less, you suffer a crisis of character and your alignments shift (Caprice/Guilt/etc, like you have it) for the next session. You don't make Conviction rolls during that session.

And their powers wouldn't necessarily need [Courage], [Conviction], [Purity] tags.

Just some thoughts. You know the system better than I do, and you did a good job with the Teramach, so I'm sure this will come together too.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

AW has harm and the harm move. DW has hitpoints like... well, pretty much everything else. I agree with you though, the harm move would work better. When (if) I make my consolidated Mythos World hack, I'll probably use harm once again.

With the Fetters, I left their severity where you had them, so I could have the moves up at Mythic levels. Risk/reward, you see. So long as you keep your standards up, you get the shiny toys. I'd probably need to playtest it to see where the balance between broken Fetters and overpowered moves falls apart.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

AW has harm and the harm move. DW has hitpoints like... well, pretty much everything else.
    Tangent
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit points aren't all that common outside of D&D's direct sphere of influence. Storyteller has its health levels filled with different kinds of damage and wound penalties. Fate has its weirdly applied stress and taggable consequences. Mouse Guard and Lady Blackbird have purely narratively enforced condition tags. In A Wicked Age has mechanically enforced condition tags. Mythender has its wound boxes that, on their own, aren't anything special, but tie into their unique storm/thunder dice and corruption stuff (you can take on some corruption to punch death in the face and crawl out of the underworld Kratos-style as an explicit, universal, and potentially frequently used mechanic). Burning Wheel has the new-player-terror-inducing PTGS (Physical Tolerances Grayscale). Don't Rest Your Head has its pain dice/pain domination/despair coins/etc weirdness. Dread has instant deeeeath. Primetime Adventures and Pilgrims of the Flying Temple are so rules-light that physical consequences are purely narration. InSpectres has penalized die pools. The Marvel Heroic Roleplaying System uses stress and trauma dice.

The list goes on. There are a lot of ways to represent damage other than a pool of points that goes up or down, with a death threshold at the bottom.

I feel like Dungeon World was fairly unique in that it's a 'story game' that went back to the ye olde classic D&D hit points, which is very uncommon.

When (if) I make my consolidated Mythos World hack, I'll probably use harm once again.
    I wish you luck, and I think there's a lot of potential there. It'll be cool to see what you come up with for Agendas and Principles.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Huh. When I say "pretty much everything else" I was referring to the fantasy genre as a whole. Now that you mention it, I guess I'll take a look at all of this ^ before I do anything else. When I was running an uber-highpowered (read: dumb) PVP campaign, where everyone had pretty much whatever they wanted, I had a thing called Kill Shots. Basically, any attack could wound or incapacitate, but only dramatic actions, at the appropriate time, could kill any other player. Perhaps something like that could work? Just less stupid. I'll give some thought to the Agenda. What would you have in mind for that?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, here is a snippet from the Phileotheysia I need some formatting advice on, and maybe a double-check on the entire underlying concept (although I've mentioned it in the past, so someone probably would have mentioned if it were a horrible idea).
    Class Skills: Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Diplomacy(Cha), Heal(Wis), Knowledge[Religion] (Int), Profession(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Speak Language(N/A), Spellcraft(Int), Tumble(Dex), and Use Rope(Dex)

Spoiler: Additional class skills are added by several excellencies.
    Show
    Full use of the following(some may also be available from different excellencies for partial use/access): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Decipher Script, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge[Dungeoneering], Knowledge[Geography], Knowledge[Local], Knowledge[Nature], Knowledge[Nobility and Royalty], Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Swim, and Survival

And partial use of these: Disable Device, Knowledge[Arcana], Knowledge[History], Knowledge[The Planes], and Search.

So, my formatting question is:
    Should I take the extra time to list which excellencies add which skills I that part of the class? Cleric lists which SRD domains add which skills.

My other (less important) set of questions:
    This concerns my idea that those Excellencies should increase the (6+Int. Mod.) skill-base of the class if one takes enough of them. First to 7+Int. Mod. (probably at 2 such excellencies) then to 8+Int. Mod. (probably at 3 such excellencies). Naturally, this would be retroactive. I assume that none of this should cause any great problems? Are the number of Excellencies required for each boost good? Should hitting 9 +Int. Mod be verbotin, or would say... 4 or 5 such excellencies justify making the rogue cry like that? I have 9 such excellencies so far.

If it is relevant, almost all such Excellencies add at least two skills*, and most of them add some feats too. Mostly just stuff like Alertness, Stealthy, etc that give bonuses to the skills being granted, but I did throw in Darkstalker** on top of Stealthy (+2 Hide & Move Silently) on the excellency that gives you Hide and Move Silently.
    *The exceptions are the Excellency that only adds Appraise, but does a bunch of things for Craft, Profession, and sometimes Survival checks and the Excellency(EDIT: Actually, this one is an Exceptional Mythos, but I threw the [Skillful Protector] tag onto it too) that grants Perform to go with a somewhat narrow selection of bardic music abilities, which is arguably a single skill.
    **I don't actually own the book for this one, but I have heard some stuff about it letting you make hide checks against stuff with Blindsight and such.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-11-22 at 06:54 PM.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I'll give some thought to the Agenda. What would you have in mind for that?
    Maybe something like:

• Make the world seem larger than life
    • Present players with impossible challenges for which they require impossible solutions
    • Play to find out what happens

?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

... I wrote a little while ago:

- Embrace the Mythic nature of the world and characters
    - Give the players epic challenges, and the tools to deal with them
    - Play to find out what happens

Can't be a coincidence.

EDIT: Right. I've finished a bit more. This'll be somewhat of a stream of conciousness but, uh, yeah.

The principles are left more-or-less unchanged from AW:
    - Spew forth Mythos
    - Address yourself to the characters, not the players
    - Make your move, but misdirect
    - Make your move, but never speak its name
    - Keep the headsmans axe sharp
    - Name everyone that matters
    - Let the winds of fate blow away the chaff
    - Ask provocative questions and build on the answers
    - Respond with grand and brutal narration and the rewards they fight for
    - Be in awe of the power of the characters, but don’t let it blind you
    - Work with the narrative essence of Mythos
    - Think offscreen too
    - Sometimes, disclaim decision-making

The five stats so far (as is traditional) are Rage, Wrath, Balance, Deception and Arrogance. Rage is "hot", Wrath is "cold", so to speak. Each has the a primary move linked to it, in order, Destroy, Attack, Counter, Strike, and Command. Every primary move can be used to make an attack, and also as a social move. It's made for some interesting descriptions so far. Yes, the Destroy move which is roll+Rage, favored by the Teramach, can be used in a philosophical debate. It's a thing.

I'm toying with the idea of Narrative Essence. This stuff, NE, is what separates the characters from the background chaff. Any major character, including of which is the players, have some amount of Narrative essence. For the most part, it is quite simple: It's impossible to kill someone who possesses any amount of it. NE can be spent to change the threat in a narrative manner (see below), empower moves, and allow Mythic Characters to fight in an awesome manner (also see below). They regenerate in some manner.

Regarding levelling, I'm kind of erring on the side of not having XP. Rather, in order to level up from Exceptional to Fantastic (or from background chaff to Exceptional) you have to meet a set of milestones. These would, pretty much, be exactly the descriptions of the Mythos Tiers. Exhibit A:

Exceptional Mythos tell the tales of thugs, brutes, madmen, psychopaths, cannibals, and serial murderers
    from the Teramach character. In order to become Exceptional, you need to be feared in a major population area for bloody, violent crimes. You might not have done them, you just need to be feared. Or any number of other milestones. I'm feeling milestones would be more like achievements, each with different points. Of course, players and MC would be invited to write their own, to the approval of all other players.

HPwise, NE covers most of that. If you don't defend yourself, your dead. If you are stabbed in such a manner that it is fatal, you are dead. If you would be stabbed and don't want to be, you can try and weasel your way out (difficult) or spend an NE.

Other uses for NE: A Teramach is on a mission to discover who murdered the latest king. He has found some clues, questioned some suspects, and is getting really, really bored with all this mystery. He spends one NE, leaps through a wall and lands on the prime suspect, literally in the act of killing someone else. Easy. Except the suspect has imbibed some magic serum, increasing their size and making them a threat of equal difficulty to solving the mystery. It doesn't just beat the challenge. It doesn't end the story. It just changes it in some way. A polite individual would tell the MC some time before they use it.

Or: A Cynosure and a Bellator are squaring off. The Cynosure thinks it's a battle of wits. The Bellator thinks it's a battle using bloody big bits of metal. Each time the Bellator takes a violent swing, the Cynosure pays the price, steps aside, and makes a quip. Each time the Cynosure tries to convince the Bellator to back down with remark about his parentage, he slashes forwards with his ridiculously oversized sword. Not entirely sure if this is going to be the final form of it, but it's just an idea.
    Last edited by spwack; 2015-11-23 at 05:07 AM.