New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Amelia nods. "<Unless someone has a theory about why her Earth-half was more enthusiastic, I'd say that's about it, yeah.>" Though she glances at Raziel, too, to see if he's got anything she missed.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

He did feel an impulse to tell them about his "arrangement" with the Silver Forest at that point, but his shoulder demon shot it down. For once, he agreed-that secret could wait until he thought they honestly trusted them.

"<Well...actually, I know from experience how different the...other half can be from Earth version.>

"<Beheris said that the original Raziel's personality was overwritten by mine from what the priests of Cecelyne told him. From my memories, he was...kind of apathetic, more like a person who would go along with the Yozis only because they would make it seem like he didn't have other options.>

"<Maybe Earth-Laurel honestly thinks the Yozis would do a better job?>"
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

"So, I guess the only thing left is to actually take over Gem. How were you planing on doing that?"
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Well, we did agree to some things about working together that Drake hasn't heard yet. However we want to influence Gem, it won't work as well if we're each alone...>"

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

"Personally, I'm told I didn't change much when I got the Earth-memories. Just got a certain tendency to ramble and overthink stuff even more - and, I add, a longing for a computer and some videogames" Drake says, with a wan half-smile. "I have wondered if the guy in Earth got memories of Creation too, mirror kind of deal, and whether it changed him"

He then sits up a bit more straight. "But, philosophy aside, what's this plan to take over gem without calling excessive attention to ourselves, then?"

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

<"It's simple. The Despot's power is based on wealth, and the mercenaries that wealth provides. It's well-known in the Realm that he pays through the nose for Dragon-blooded mercenaries, we're just another such group offering their services in exchange for money. That gives us authority, and access to the Despot. We can influence his mind, or just outright control it, and we rule the city by proxy. Or, we can take a more dangerous route and explain the difference between Dragon-bloods and Celestial exalted, the chance to get such power on his side might be irresistible. We offer him everything he's ever wanted, he pays us, and we're put in command over his other mercenary forces. And once we're in, a few demonstrations of power will make him afraid to cross us or fire us. Maybe take out some of his outcaste or god-blooded mercs, show him how much better we are. I know I'm just a Terrestrial here, but I've reached the Bulb of the Perfected Lotus, it would take an older Dynast or an Immaculate Monk to best me. Nothing he has in Gem can take us in a fight. But we don't have to depose him, we just need him to know we could, and that we want him to stay in charge. He has everything to gain by doing what we want, and a lot to lose if he refuses. All we need to do, is present our proposal in the best possible light.">
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<Oh, and you can thank me for calling back Orchid before he went Cobra Commander on us-I thought that we should (a) have input from a man who has experience with actually being a member of a world-controlling conspiracy, and (B), stopped a potential Usurpation Redux.>"

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Drake hmmms, scratching his chin. "<Hmmmm... I'd say go for the "worm ourselves in" bit, keep it low and make it think stuff is his idea and all that, for now. Yeah, maybe he doesn't have anything that can take us in a straight fight - but I'd rather not antagonize a man with no qualms about having ninjas stab me in my sleep. I already live in enough paranoia, thank you very much>" he grins, ironically. "<Problem, though - I'm not supposed to make the fact I'm not normal known. Brings too much attention of the wrong kind. In truth, I already could have been sanctioned for telling you guys, really, but I felt it was necessary. But, anyway, point is, I'd rather if you guys just said I'm the aide of one of you or personal entertainer or something, would save me a lot of headaches->"

He's cut by Raziel's remark, which makes him **** his head in a "...bwuh?" motion. "<...what's Cobra Commander got to do with anything? Sorry, GI Joe never was shown in the country my Earth counterpart was from, so while I could quote you Darkwing Duck or Gargoyles verbatim, I never watched GI Joe. So, er, what?" Leaning back again, he continues. "<And as for the other thing... well, I am technically a member of a world-manipulating office, yeah. And you do pick up stuff. But I'm kinda new. This was going to be my first field mission - up to now, I've mostly either trained or taken care of the paperwork>" he says, with a self-mocking grin.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-05-27 at 12:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<IE, Legion of Incompetent Supervillains. Thought that kind of scheme, without planning, would be his forte.>"

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Rubbing a hand over cross cropped hair, Wing leans against a nearby wall."Hmm...I agree that we need to get the Despot's attention soon, but I think we're pushing it to fast to try and take over the city right now. I'd want more information, about what's happening. Especially since there's already someone else in the city. Perhaps we should just try and get the despot to hire us. Shouldn't be that difficult, though we might want to keep our exact abilities secret. He is the head of a Realm Tributary, after all. And besides you, Pyrus, we're all anathema. How do we know his reaction?"
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

"<I... suspect that the Despot would be happier to break from the Realm, if he could, than to just follow. But I think the best idea, to start, would be as a Dragon-blooded - Pyrus - and his elite retainers. We might want to set up some plausible deniability as far as essence use goes, too, just in case someone does investigate us more closely. We can outperform any mortal without being obvious, and while we find out more we can build the influence we'll need just to even make our offers to the Despot. It's just a skeleton of a plan, but does that sound good?>"

Orchid is mentally repeating the whole thing as he thinks of it for the benefit of Melodies...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...does that sound good?

I think that it will do. I at least approve that you are not filling in details just yet, since I remind you that we still haven't gotten our heavenly agent to agree to everything you spoke to the others about.

Crud, you're right. I think he'll agree to it - but if he's made contact with Yu-Shan... Ugh. However much power he might have to keep us under the radar is probably balanced by how much we'd be restricted to keep him from reporting to his superiors unfavorably.

He's too close to Heaven to trust, and he's too close to you to ignore. Speak with him - if possible, do it now, before someone else can let it slip and give him time to prepare. The sooner you act, the less time he has to come up with a way to trick you, in this case. I should be able to navigate you out quickly, and you should be able to get out before Yu-Shan can catch you.

Also, you should never have let it get to this point. Things are moving too quickly to be safe, and if you trip up too badly... The Reclamation as a whole might be threatened. So... Don't trip up.

So the plan is, if things go wrong: Don't be awesome, leave everything, and get that information back to Malfeas. In fact... Now that I think about it, if I can find someone who won't overreact, it might be best to inform someone back home of how much Heaven may have learned. We can start watching for how they move, at least.

You're making the best of a bad situation. Don't feel proud of that. It will be easier to move forward than to turn back time, however, and here... I have been thinking, and that means getting this Sidereal on your side - if we're lucky, perhaps make him Akuma.

Szoreny, if he must be Akuma. You know what I think of the others.

And that it is far more important that the Reclamation is not knocked down by one double-agent Sidereal, than that he retains his free will for one life. The Yozis made Lethe to heal all ills.

I still find it hard to think of death as... impermanent. The memories are lost, even if the person is not...

I hadn't noticed that you were still conflicted about death.
    Though merely mental, the voice of Melodies drips with the additional buzzing that he uses for sarcasm.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

<"Well, he's not a Dynast, or even a thaumaturge, we could pass you guys off as god-bloods and half-castes, he'd never know the difference. Do any of you know sorcery? That would be a major selling point. But...if we really want him to like us, we could arrange some kind of attack, on the mines or his person, then save him.">

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

I think the god-blooded idea has merit. He is a somewhat unwilling tributary, if the Guild rumors are still accurate. And I don't think we'll need to do anything as drastic as staging something. Becoming powerful forces under his 'control' should be enough. After we're close, it should be easy to prove our worth, and the rest will fall into place from their.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid coughs, briefly, when there's a chance. Having caught attention, he starts to speak.
    "<Before we make plans... we should probably make sure that we're all on the same page and willing to work towards the same goals for now - or at least, goals that don't conflict.>"
    "<Drake, we've considered a few things already, but you are the one most likely to have information that changes someone's mind on some part of this.
    First, it seems to me that we do all want to gain influence over Gem, most likely through the Despot, but that the Despot doesn't need to be deposed. Or rather, if we depose him now we're more likely to see a worse ruler rise to power than a better one, and so we should ensure that we have a plan for what happens once he's gone.
    Second, I plan to summon demons, but as allies you are all far more valuable to me. Since I don't think I shall need more than a few assistants as it is, I'm comfortable with saying that I won't summon any demon that we are not all six willing to accept. Demons vary, just like humans, so I can certainly seek out the most palatable for us. I think, to start, that's more than enough for us to consider, yes?>"

If anything is going to be a deal-breaker to an agent of Heaven... It'll be demons, probably. The other two can wait for a few moments. And with demons to consider, the rest will probably be that much easier to accept in comparison.

((OOC: Additionally, Leliel is busy, and I don't want to get too far ahead until he can have a say again.))
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-05-31 at 02:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Drake hmmmms, looking at the ground, thinking. It's odd seeing someone in such a getup looking lost in thought, in a way...

"...okay, here's my thoughts on all this"

"<First, on the whole takeover thing... yeah, keeping the Despot there is good. Are we really good enough at the kind of look-forward administration running a city, especially a city that lives in a perpetual state of "we really should be dead by now but commerce keeps us alive" as Gem, implies? I know I, at least, am not. The Despot really does a lot more stuff than yell orders, after all. And hell, I'm still not sure a takeover is the best idea, but...>" he trails off, and sighs.

"<Second, about demons - I'm okay with a few, long as you don't try to ask Ligier to come build us a fountain or something>" Drake half-grins a little, joking a bit. "<A lot of them would bring too much attention, but many sorcerers summon a couple demons. Hell, I could do it myself if I wanted to learn sorcery. But->" he says, looking up again. "<well, to be honest, I'm a bit edgy on them, sometimes. Not because they're evil or anything - a fair amount of them are actually surprisingly decent for being raised in the psychotically murderous environment that is Malfeas, from everything I've read - but because many of them are, basically, alien. I just watched too many movies and read too many legends about djinn to not be a bit edgy about trusting a guy who might understand the complete opposite of what I'm trying to say. Shouldn't make me unable to have a couple of them around>" he mentions.

"<But, on the whole, not much on the way of objections. Just words of caution - overextending or trying to influence too much too soon usually ends up with an explosion. So, like Onyx said, let's take it carefully, alright?>"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

<"I don't have a problem with summoned demons. But I don't think we need to kick the Despot out, we just need to make sure he understands that when things get funky, we call the shots. He can do the day to day stuff and worry about assassins.">

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just like a Realm fop. Of course the world belongs to him, and any mortal will just bow before him. I swear Ka-- Wait. That's not my memory. That's Wing's...

His clenched fists belying his irritation, Onyx speaks in an otherwise level tone.
    "Too much, too fast. Our power relies on him. There's quite a bit that he could do to stop or hinder us. Sure, we can probably handle it, but at best it would cause chaos. Chaos that plays into our enemies hands. Plus, the only way to prevent that is to completely remove him from all decision making.

No. Better to simply become trusted servants and advisors. Long enough, and we'll be in much the same position, but without the potential for conflict."
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Your thoughts, Corona?

The Realm is strong, the Despot is weak. For all of his wealth, he controls the aristocracy like one would control a pack of rabid dogs-very poorly, and with little success by it's very nature. Even the slightest bit of tension, and the very society would fall apart. I would personally go with the Terrestrial's idea-something meant as both a threat and a net for when this city inevitably falls apart

That's...rather dark. It's not like you to be this cynical.

You're right, it isn't; it's just this city brings back unpleasant memories of the Pleasure Dome, and from what I know, this place was founded entirely by mortal hands; admirable, but fragile and ultimately untenable against the threats of this world.

...You didn't say the same thing about Paragon.

That's entirely different; the Perfect is equipped to handle such a society, and at least he's competent.

<"I hate to vote against the idealistic option, but I'm with Pyrus, at least in general direction; the Despot ultimately has very, very little hold on his slice of libertarian anarchy, and if the aristocracy starts infighting, it's likely we won't have a throne to rule behind.>"

"<How about a compromise? We present ourselves as advisers, but we have a few rules by which he cleaves; otherwise, he get's the boot and we get a better satrap. More of a security net then a knife.>"

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I hate to be throwing down ultimatums, but no. Yes, this isn't the most stable society around, but the Despot isn't just some hands off, head in the clouds ruler. He's managing to keep relative freedom from the Realm, even though he's completely dependent on them for food. The distance is key there, but that's not the only factor; just look at Greyfalls in the east. And Gem is much, much richer. Yeah, the society won't last too long, but all accounts I've heard paint the current despot as a strong ruler. Plus, remember that the best way to unite internal factions is to present some outside force trying to control things. Like, for instance, us. History's taught me that much, at least.

So, if we try to strong arm him, even a bit, I'm out. I like my skin where it is, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-06-02 at 10:27 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Melodies. I need your opinion, badly. We're discussing whether we should strong-arm the Despot or not - Wing says that he'll absolutely leave if we try to strong-arm the Despot, but it sounds like it's partly because he thinks we can't do it successfully. Pyrus thinks that we should take over, but let the Despot remain as figurehead. Raziel agrees with Pyrus, to a lesser degree, because he thinks the Despot doesn't have control.

[I]This is sudden - I'll give certain advice... First, make sure things are uncertain until you're ready to choose. Second, don't let Raziel and Pyrus make a faction - they'll be harder to convince if they can rely on each other for support.[I]

Anything more? I think I have an outline of what I wish to say.

Amelia we can probably rely on to listen even if factions develop; if you must let one happen, try to ensure that she is a part of it so you can break or join it easily later. Make sure that you take advantage of the Sidereal - people see him as knowledgeable, so if he's against you, you'll have to use his own words against him. Try and get him on your side early, if that's even possible. Also, most of them see Laurel as a common enemy - use that.

I'm only worried that she is a common enemy - the very best I can think of her is that she's unreliable and misguided.

"<So far as I see it... If we want to strong-arm the Despot - who won't just roll over - then assuming we succeed, we'll put all the infighting to the fore. The noble houses will notice a weak Despot, or worse, we'll have to get rid of him entirely to take over - either way, the aristocracy will get to infighting. The chaos that makes will benefit only Laurel and any other enemies of Gem. And the Realm will want to investigate a suddenly-rogue Dynast, adding far too much of their scrutiny for my liking.>"

"<So... I agree that we should just work with the Despot. He's powerful, but we can be supernaturally persuasive. If we make him see that what we want can benefit Gem, he'll do it for us willingly. If you still feel cynical about even that, consider that so long as the Despot is strong, we can play him and Laurel against each other - she'll be a force that the Despot will unite with us to oppose. As long as he's strong, the Despot will be a force for order that keeps Laurel in check. And if one of them wants to move against us, they'll have to deal with the other at the same time.>"

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a deep breathe, Wing clams down, fists un-clenching. Then he whirls back on Raziel, eyes widening.
    "Oh, another thing. This place might not be too safe. While I was going to get Drake, someone was following me. I wasn't able to get a good look at them, but I think I lost them. They might have been some of the Despot's guards, though. There was also this... metallic lobster thing-a C-something. Drake saw it too. Do you know why they'd be here, or is it likely Laurel's work?"
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Metallic... lobster thing?>" He pauses, thinking. "<Unless it was some noble's toy - unlikely - then it's a servant of a Demjen. Probably not stealthy enough to follow you, at least. They're great for mining, but in Gem you'd pick a different demon, one that doesn't go crazy when it can't swim... And they only come through naturally when someone digs up ancient mechanisms - and I don't think there was anything near Gem in the First Age, or even the Shogunate. Nothing worth investigating, at least. I suppose if Laurel wanted to summon demons descended from Adorjan only then there might be a reason to pick a Demjen, if you think it was her spy.>"

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

"First time I saw it a little girl was running after it, and the next time she apparently had caught it. Honestly, that's not the part I'm really worried about. The Despot might already know a bit about us. "
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<...Demjen?>

"<As in, one of the demons who wouldn't be caught dead in a desert?>

"<Oh....crap>"

For a couple seconds, it looks like Raziel is on the verge of a panic attack, but calms down very suddenly; back on Earth, John would often call it his "panic logic" mode, where he quite simply ceased to feel emotions for a few minutes while he thought of a way to correct a stressful situation.

"<...Right. I doubt it's being compelled by thaumaturgy, as demjen are naturally amphibious-drying skin really causes a lot of epidermal problems for them, although it isn't fatal. It's also what causes Abissic bindings to fail, so either we have a template that is easily assuaged or a familiar. My money's on familiar, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have something like a Functionary or Vizier. Either way, I don't think one would stay here of his own free will.>"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

<"So, what does all that mean in English?">

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Oh... Um. I hadn't thought of a Familiar. Um... Quick version... One: A thaumaturge couldn't have summoned the Demjen, because we're in a desert. I'd be surprised if anyone around here even knew about them. Two: A sorcerer wouldn't have summoned the Demjen, because we're in a desert. The Demjen would get crazier and less reliable apart from water until it broke its bindings. There are just better mining demons for Gem. But, uh, Raziel has pointed out a third option.>"

"<We chosen of Hell sometimes form personal relationships with particular demons. A very few demons can come through on their own for one reason or another, and we often seek those out such demons. A Demjen is descended from Adorjan, too, so Laurel and a Demjen would share a common superior. That doesn't mean anything certain, but it's another little bit of evidence for it, and Laurel was already the most likely choice. It would also mean that the demon might travel back and forth fairly often, to avoid, er, going crazy. That's not convenient for a sorcerer who can choose other demons... But, well, Raziel and I are here, and we weren't picked for our skill with deserts either. Someone with an aquatic familiar would fit the pattern.>"
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-06-04 at 02:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Drake listens carefully.

"<Makes sense to me. Spirit familiars are not unusual - should have guessed that infernal knights would be able to take demon ones. Yeah, it could be a familiar. I'm wondering about the little girl, though. Inoffensive or not, no child carries around a three foot crustacean without having some trust on it, hence, she already knew the thing. So the kid might have been one of Laurel's spies, like the woman in the house, or live near where he Demjen is situated>" he says, serious.

"<As for the other thing... I'm with Onyx. As you yoursel said, Raziel, I am a member of a world-controlling cabal, even if a newbie who mostly does the paperwork. And we say a lot of things about people who overextend too much in their manipulations. Well, in truth, mostly we say "oh goddamn, not another vacancy in the department". Sidereal Exaltations usually take a while to choose a new host after their owners are splattered, you see, which means that the rest of us have to take care of everything he did on top of our own stuff>" he adds, with a wan sad smile. "<More seriously, pushing too hard, too fast means things bend. And right now, Gem is an economic anomaly held together by the shrewdness of the Despots and the interest of several outside powers in keeping Gem a good trading partner. It's a ball balancing on top of a needle, and we really can't afford to bend the needle, because chances are it's not going to be easy to keep the ball atop>"

28. - Top - End - #508
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

"<...O-kay,>" Amelia says, drawing out the first syllable as she gathers her thoughts. "<On the Despot--I don't particularly want to threaten him if we have another option...but eventually, we are going to disagree. For instance, I'm not going to be fine with slavery in perpetuity. I understand if that isn't our first priority, but I won't just let it go.>" Amelia makes a few unconscious movements to settle her balance, as if she thinks someone might try to physically attack her, or she's thinking of doing the same. "<We can delay it so that we don't give Laurel power, but once we deal with her. Just because slavery is accepted here doesn't mean I think it acceptable.>" And I don't understand how you can not be, fellow Earthlings. You know that it can be better.

"<And the Laurel speculation about the Demjen is valid, but we aren't sure. For all I know, the girl who grabbed it might have called it up. I'm not suggesting that has a high probability of being true, I'm just emphasizing that I have very little information. And I'm not well-versed in the occult.>"
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

<"I don't want to kick the Despot out either, but if demons are massing to attack Gem, he's not up to the task of protecting the city. We're more qualified.">

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if she's ever met Strenght-Of-Many?
    Wing brushes the thought aside, though. Taking a strong, but reasoned tone, he addresses her points as best he can.
    "The girl could have summoned it herself, but if so then she's the kind of prodigy that comes along rarely, if at all. More likely that some sort of cult called it up, and it sounds as if Laurel has most of the Yozi cults under her control. The fact that both she and the demon are associated with Adorjan and, well, Occam's razor. The simplest solution is probably the best.

As for slavery...yes, it needs to change, but before we can change that we need to get into a position of power. And the way to do that isn't to try and force those who have power out; that simply breeds resentment, and changes you make will be temporary at best. Never mind that the situation Creation's found itself in is precisely the kind that fuels slave trades. Or the fact that, in order to break away from the Realm we'll need to ally ourselves with the guild, which is by far the greatest proponent of the slave trade, as well as the drug trade, in Creation. Yes, we can change things, but we're still weak, and our position is fragile."

Turning back to Pyrus, he adopts a more confrontational tone.
    "Even if that's the case. The answer isn't to pull off what amounts to a fracking coup d' etat. But, as noted by the lack of Demon legions laying siege to the city, that's not the case. Nevermind the fact that I doubt we could run the city half as well as the Despot does. Sure, we're powerful, but to really run something like this you need finesse, not raw power.

We need to work with the current government. Especially since it actually works, and has worked for a pretty long time. Get settled, build a power base, and figure out exactly how the government works, and then we can try to co-opt it. "
    Satomi by Elagune