New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 2011 Thundercats thread

I've only watched half of one episode so far, is the series any good? Mumm-ra looks like he got an AWESOME BARBARIAN VILLAIN STYLE MAKEOVER which is awesome. The anime-esque style doesn’t really seem to fit, but I’ve only seen one episode so far, so I probably shouldn’t judge until I’ve seen more of it.

In the episode I saw though, the only complaint I had is that Lion-O did that “by the power of Grayskull” type of thing and flashed a signal in the air. I’m not a Thundercats buff so I don’t know if he normally does that, but it just felt so random.

Also, Mumm-ra. Looks like an awesome 80's villain and is pretty scary looking, but way too obviously evil. I think he's cool and all,and I know that's probably the point for him to look like that, but I was hoping this series would have one of those affably evil charaismatic types that is a main stick-around for the series.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: 2011 Thundercats thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elrik View Post
    I've only watched half of one episode so far, is the series any good? Mumm-ra looks like he got an AWESOME BARBARIAN VILLAIN STYLE MAKEOVER which is awesome.
    He always looked like that. I don't think they visually changed him much at all.

In the episode I saw though, the only complaint I had is that Lion-O did that “by the power of Grayskull” type of thing and flashed a signal in the air. I’m not a Thundercats buff so I don’t know if he normally does that, but it just felt so random.
    "By the Power of Grayskull" is He-Man's catchphrase. I can tell you didn't see the original Thundercats. Lion-o's thing was an epic, "Thunder... Thunder... Thundercats HO!!!!!!" He does it a lot because in the show that was how he boosted the Thundercats' powers for the end-episode battle (usually, it had other effects depending on the writer).

Also, Mumm-ra. Looks like an awesome 80's villain and is pretty scary looking, but way too obviously evil. I think he's cool and all,and I know that's probably the point for him to look like that, but I was hoping this series would have one of those affably evil charaismatic types that is a main stick-around for the series.
    Being obviously evil was sort of the point for Mummra. The original villains, the Mutants, were more pathetic than threatening, so Mummra showed up after an episode or so and completely wrecked everything in his path. He was supposed to be the literal physical incarnation of all evil in the universe. Seriously, his power-up catchphrase was "Ancient Spirits of Evil, transform this decayed form into Mummra!!!! the Ever Living!!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    He always looked like that. I don't think they visually changed him much at all.

I've honestly only seen Mumm Ra's mummy form and didn't realize he had a second form. The updated animation does make him look a little cooler and more sleek, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard;12036422[B
    ]"By the Power of Grayskull" is He-Man's catchphrase.[/B] I can tell you didn't see the original Thundercats. Lion-o's thing was an epic, "Thunder... Thunder... Thundercats HO!!!!!!" He does it a lot because in the show that was how he boosted the Thundercats' powers for the end-episode battle (usually, it had other effects depending on the writer).
    I knew that, I should've probably made it clear that I was referring to the trope "by the power of grayskull" when the hero powers up or does something with whatever mystical weapon he has. Lion O was powering up or something and it just reminded me of He-Man's thing.

Being obviously evil was sort of the point for Mummra. The original villains, the Mutants, were more pathetic than threatening, so Mummra showed up after an episode or so and completely wrecked everything in his path. He was supposed to be the literal physical incarnation of all evil in the universe. Seriously, his power-up catchphrase was "Ancient Spirits of Evil, transform this decayed form into Mummra!!!! the Ever Living!!!!"
    Mummra is pretty cool though, I like him as a villain but I don't think he's shown up that much in the new series from what I've seen so far. I just personally don't like the OE trope that much, that's all.

I will admit he has some pretty cool lines so far though.

Mumm-Ra: "You are much like your father."
    Lion-O: "What do you know of my father?!"
    Mumm-Ra: "Only that I killed him!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Watched the first four episodes so far on demand. So far im in love, its definitely got a kind of retro feel. Dont think it does so well as a kids show tho. Also the 4th episode made me cry.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2011-10-17 at 11:34 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just wait,

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait to you see armored Mumm Ra, I can't wait to see if he
    Spoiler
    Show
    gets another powerstone again.
    Oh yes and maybe this one will have Mumm Ra most powerful form ever. Like the last old espoide before they left third earth. Mumm Ra the All Powerful. Although that form only lasted until sunset.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateCaptain

Actually, I'm a little lost. The last episode my DVR recorder was Duelist and the Drifter. Did anymore air yet or is the show on some sort of hiatus?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I'm a little lost. The last episode my DVR recorder was Duelist and the Drifter. Did anymore air yet or is the show on some sort of hiatus?
    Yeah, some sort of mini-hiatus, I guess. Next episode isn't until October 28th.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I knew that, I should've probably made it clear that I was referring to the trope "by the power of grayskull" when the hero powers up or does something with whatever mystical weapon he has. Lion O was powering up or something and it just reminded me of He-Man's thing.
    Yeah...that was a big thing back in the eighties
    Mummra is pretty cool though, I like him as a villain but I don't think he's shown up that much in the new series from what I've seen so far.
    I, personally prefer it when my villains don't show up in every episode though. That way when he does show show up, you know that something serious is about to go down. So i'm okay with that.

I have to say though, i am pleasantly surprised with 2011 Thundercats as a whole. The original reason i watched was to see how impressive Mumm-Ra was going to be, he was one of my favorite villains when i was young so i was curious about a more 'modern' Mumm-Ra. So far i've been content. The only time i was a little disappointed in him was in the hour premier when he
    Spoiler
    Show
    Left Lion-o run right past him and grab The Sword of Omens when it was essentially right beside him.
    With that said though, the next episode that the Thundercats encountered Mumm-Ra, he wiped the floor with them...so i'm willing to give that a pass.

As for the show as a whole? I, surprisingly enjoyed it. There are definitely parts of the show that are for the kids, but other than that i believe they have a good balance right now so that anyone can potentially enjoy it. There are some annoyances that i have(One greater than all the rest combined), but it's nothing that i would consider important or show ruining.

For example: Tails...what is with those things? WilyKit&Kat have tails and if i recall correctly we've seen a few others that are not of the main cast with them. So they do have them. An argument could be made that it depends on the clothes they're wearing, but that must mean they disappear into Hammerspace because i don't see any unsightly bulges. I believe they should have made the decision as to whether they have tails and have given everybody tails, or everybody no tails. I will admit that it would be harder to take the adult characters seriously if they all had tails, but the inconsistency bothers me and there really isn't any reason to have such an inconsistency.

Something else that bothers me is that in the first episode they pretty much portrayed the whole Thundercat race as being racist bastards against everyone whom isn't a feline and apparently Lion-o is the only one who feels sympathy towards them. Although i understand, it's a different interpretation...and we were told it would be a bit a darker.

and just so we're clear, if Lion-o says "Whiskers" one more Time I Will DESTROY HIM

Seriously, it wouldn't be an issue if he said it rarely, or even occasionally. I'm sure it's some kind of Thundercat curse word, but still he says it every single episode and it really irks me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Yeah...that was a big thing back in the eighties

I, personally prefer it when my villains don't show up in every episode though. That way when he does show show up, you know that something serious is about to go down. So i'm okay with that.

I have to say though, i am pleasantly surprised with 2011 Thundercats as a whole. The original reason i watched was to see how impressive Mumm-Ra was going to be, he was one of my favorite villains when i was young so i was curious about a more 'modern' Mumm-Ra. So far i've been content. The only time i was a little disappointed in him was in the hour premier when he
    Spoiler
    Show
    Left Lion-o run right past him and grab The Sword of Omens when it was essentially right beside him.
    With that said though, the next episode that the Thundercats encountered Mumm-Ra, he wiped the floor with them...so i'm willing to give that a pass.

As for the show as a whole? I, surprisingly enjoyed it. There are definitely parts of the show that are for the kids, but other than that i believe they have a good balance right now so that anyone can potentially enjoy it. There are some annoyances that i have(One greater than all the rest combined), but it's nothing that i would consider important or show ruining.

For example: Tails...what is with those things? WilyKit&Kat have tails and if i recall correctly we've seen a few others that are not of the main cast with them. So they do have them. An argument could be made that it depends on the clothes they're wearing, but that must mean they disappear into Hammerspace because i don't see any unsightly bulges. I believe they should have made the decision as to whether they have tails and have given everybody tails, or everybody no tails. I will admit that it would be harder to take the adult characters seriously if they all had tails, but the inconsistency bothers me and there really isn't any reason to have such an inconsistency.

Something else that bothers me is that in the first episode they pretty much portrayed the whole Thundercat race as being racist bastards against everyone whom isn't a feline and apparently Lion-o is the only one who feels sympathy towards them. Although i understand, it's a different interpretation...and we were told it would be a bit a darker.

and just so we're clear, if Lion-o says "Whiskers" one more Time I Will DESTROY HIM

Seriously, it wouldn't be an issue if he said it rarely, or even occasionally. I'm sure it's some kind of Thundercat curse word, but still he says it every single episode and it really irks me.
    Apparently according to the creators there are two types of Thundercats. Those without tails, and an underclass that still have them (who are discriminated against)

So the Thundercats are even more racist than you thought, sorry.

I like the show, but I kinda hope that the this Thundercats universe exists in ours (calling the planet Third Earth just makes me think that all the animal races are uplifted decedents of human experimentation in the far future)

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy View Post
    I like the show, but I kinda hope that the this Thundercats universe exists in ours (calling the planet Third Earth just makes me think that all the animal races are uplifted decedents of human experimentation in the far future)
    Oh God let's hope not. I very much hate watching a great show only for the writers to cop-out and say that the story was set in our distant past. It's cheap and lazy writing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why, yes. I was upset by the Battlestar Galactica Finale, couldn't you tell?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh God let's hope not. I very much hate watching a great show only for the writers to cop-out and say that the story was set in our distant past. It's cheap and lazy writing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why, yes. I was upset by the Battlestar Galactica Finale, couldn't you tell?
    I said far FUTURE not past

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy View Post
    I said far FUTURE not past
    Either one is bad news.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So... the shows over its hiatus it seems. And what do we start with?
    Robo panda ewok gummi bears... and magical fruit that make little kids go all jumpy... and don't you start with that 'sugar makes kids hyperactive' nonsense, you Americans...

Also, please, can someone tell me where I know this hug scene at the end from? I just can't recall...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Robo panda ewok gummi bears...
    I felt the concept was okay, but i wish there was a little more explanation of their existence. Apparently they're a peaceful race, but they have the ability to fix military vehicles such as the Thundertank better than Panthro? On top of creating traps. Or at least that's what it appeared as. Even a comment along the lines of "They're hardcoded to not be able to unless told to"(they are robots) would have been acceptable, but we got none of that. Apparently they have no concept of protection whatsoever unless influenced by an outside source.

and magical fruit that make little kids go all jumpy... and don't you start with that 'sugar makes kids hyperactive' nonsense, you Americans...
    but...but...sugar makes kids hyper-
    *gets choked by a piece of piano wire*
    Nothing to see here...move along.

I know that's a bunch of malarkey to get parents to give their kids less sugar.

Also, please, can someone tell me where I know this hug scene at the end from? I just can't recall...
    only every show in existence of everything forever. I don't know where it originated from, but i see it and variants of it a lot.

I am happy that i didn't hear The Devil Word once during the whole episode.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2011-11-06 at 11:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

only every show in existence of everything forever. I don't know where it originated from, but i see it and variants of it a lot.

I am happy that i didn't hear The Devil Word once during the whole episode.
    Dunno... I know it happens qute often but I had a very distinct feeling of remembering it... maybe even from the original series. It has to have happened forever ago.

What? But I like 'whiskers'

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What? But I like 'The Devil Word'
    It's not The Devil Word itself that i take issue with. If it was used every 5 or 6 episodes or so then i probably wouldn't have an issue with it. The biggest problem i have is that i'm pretty sure this is the only episode thus far that doesn't involve The Devil Word coming out of Lion-o's mouth at a critical moment.

It may be entirely me, but The Devil Word tends to defuse the suspension and kills the mood. Especially considering the fact that it's been used in (almost) every single episode.

I understand the fact that it's partially a kids show and the implementation of The Devil Word is meant for them to...giggle or something at a running word? I dunno, but to me, it just makes me facepalm.

17. - Top - End - #17

PirateCaptain

So...is anyone gonna mention the shockingly offensive elephants from the most recent episode? Is "Thundercats" trolling us with these weird episodes?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

So...is anyone gonna mention the shockingly offensive elephants from the most recent episode? Is "Thundercats" trolling us with these weird episodes?
    How were they shockingly offensive? I'll agree they were pretty stupid but apart from that? Or did I miss something again due not being German?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How were they shockingly offensive? I'll agree they were pretty stupid but apart from that? Or did I miss something again due not being German?
    They're very solidly Buddhist monk type characters, but portrayed as almost completely passive and slow-witted. I think the writing team did a good job at not making either Lion-O or the elephants completely wrong while also still working on the former's character development/growth.

...And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original Thundercats full of nonsense episodes? As in, the first thing the writers of the new series did was look at the existing lore and go (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-11-09 at 07:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Well, okay but that's not that offensive... nothing against buddhist /or other) monks but that's one of the oldest jokes in the book... the whole 'layed back in harmony with nature to the point of stupidity monks'. They weren't even explicitly close to any real world religion, at least not unless you want them to.

Thing is... it's a kids show... and they try to get those old... lectures from the original series in, just less anvil-y. This time it was 'Look at the bigger picture'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

At first I was so shocked I laughed a bit, I wasn't sure what they were going for or if they knew how this would look to viewers, but I just thought that it was so wierd.

I think they could have made the monk stand ins not elephants and it would have been fine, but the whole forgetfulness struck me as a bit of an unfortunate implications thing.

Enjoyed the episdoe for the most part, though.

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

I think they could have made the monk stand ins not elephants and it would have been fine, but the whole forgetfulness struck me as a bit of an unfortunate implications thing.
    How so?

I thought it was just meant as an inversion of the normal notion/myth that an elephant never forgets.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well, okay but that's not that offensive... nothing against buddhist /or other) monks but that's one of the oldest jokes in the book... the whole 'layed back in harmony with nature to the point of stupidity monks'.
    You see it as 'To the point of stupidity', I see it as perfectly in keeping with their belief system.
    Buddists don't see death and suffering in the same way, and that's about all I think I can say about the subject on this board.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah better not talk about that....

Anyway, the treck continues. And what do we get now?
    Spoiler
    Show

Love drama (inevitable) and... Panthro without arms? Oh my god, poor kitty....

Also, I bet Lino-O FELT betrayed earlier that day... no way he kept faith in Tigra all this time. They were trying to kill each other.

But he got a nice shield... gauntlet... thing...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I was suspecting this from the last episode but the astral plane one confirms it.

Tigra is being contrary to Lion-o simply to be contrary. For example in the Petalars episode, they see a large lizard army advancing and Tigra wants to take them on AFTER Lion-o says they should retreat.

Since all sensible military tactics would suggest running away very quickly (which Tigra makes a point that he has studied it with their father), his reason for taking on a vastly superior force was completely idiotic and one I chalked up to bad writing.
    Tie it in with the fact that Tigra is attempting to undermine Lion-o's authority (either intentionally or unintentionally), everything starts to make sense, making it the bigger betrayal in my opinion than snogging Cheetara (she chose Tigra, although she'll probably won't get a chance to explain it to Lion-o).

As for the 'betrayal' in the astral plane - that's just two (very) hot headed brothers smacking each other around, which makes sense if you consider that they're not as old as you think (assuming that Lion-o is 18 or whatever the Thundercat equivalent is of just reaching adulthood and Tigra isn't much older).

Also since they have the same father, unless Tigra is adopted (or there's some really funky genetics going on), they should have separate mothers, which means that he's actually a liger and Lion-o and Tigra are half-brothers, adding another potential source of strain to their relationship.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Tigra is adopted, yes. That's why he wasn't in line to take the throne, even though he was older than Lion-O.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Tigra is adopted, yes. That's why he wasn't in line to take the throne, even though he was older than Lion-O.
    Is this actually mentioned anywhere? I was under the impression that Lion-o was the heir because A) the sword chose him and B) he's a lion.

As far as I can tell, all the Thundercat leaders have been lions, hence Panthro's comment to Gruun when Gruun was talking about his ambition beyond general of the army.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Is this actually mentioned anywhere? I was under the impression that Lion-o was the heir because A) the sword chose him and B) he's a lion.
    Lions make everything better. It's a sign of awesomeness!
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Is this actually mentioned anywhere?
    Yeah, they said so at.... some point in time. I'm pretty sure of it. Tigra's adopted for some reason, not some bastard son without rights or anything to that extent, really.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Lions make everything better. It's a sign of awesomeness!
    In Thundercats though, it's also a pre-requisite for nepotism of a highly militaristic monarchy with imperialistic tendencies, with known poor treatment of other species.

So yeah...

Yeah, they said so at.... some point in time. I'm pretty sure of it. Tigra's adopted for some reason, not some bastard son without rights or anything to that extent, really.
    It sounds like one of those assumptions that fans make, because I don't remember it being said that Tigra's adopted.

I'm agree that Tigra's not a bastard, since he's treated with all the rights and privileges of a prince and he's openly acknowledged as the former King's son.
    The reason why he's different was that I assumed that the King had concubines (like most lion prides), so Tigra's the oldest son of the King, but not the son of the King's wife (or head wife if they're polygamous), thus he's ineligible for succession (plus not lion species and the Sword choosing Lion-o).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2011-12-02 at 08:10 AM.