New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread V - Defenders of the Faith

Guess what I'm wearing to the Weedeater show. Flannel and jeans.

Anyhow: anyone in this thread play bass? I'm picking up a used Squire (temporary measure. I'm unemployed, I don't have many options. >.>), and I'll need an amp. I'm thinking Acoustic; anyone have any experience or recommendations?
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2011-03-04 at 08:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Guess what I'm wearing to the Weedeater show. Flannel and jeans.

Anyhow: anyone in this thread play bass? I'm picking up a used Squire (temporary measure. I'm unemployed, I don't have many options. >.>), and I'll need an amp. I'm thinking Acoustic; anyone have any experience or recommendations?
    Klose does bass. My brother messed around with it a little but is now currently trying to figure out how to get into Music School and learn contemporary musical composition so he can become the new Tuomas Holopainen.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

before buying a new bass mess around with your current one just to make sure its sonething you want to spend 300 bucks on.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Klose does bass.
    Somebody remembered

That said, I don't even generally play with an amp when I'm at home and when I'm playing somewhere else I'll use one of theirs. Mostly this is just my bass teachers house anyway - and he's got one hell of an amp.

Besides that, Squires aren't too bad. I got one with an insane neck, but it's still completely usable - and my only bass 'til I get a job

So I guess my only real recommendation is that you're in a similar position to me and I'm okay?
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    So, it took almost two years, but it seems our album finally found it's way to the intertubes. And just as we sorted out shipping to the part of the world that isn't europe for less than a fortune. Great stuff.

Since I can't do a thign about it, and since I don't really care somehow, go ahead and download it. You have my blessing.

Due to board rules I won't link to it, though. All the info you need is out there.
    Just sayin'.
    Initial thoughts: I really really REALLY like the composition and the tracks. Instrumentally and soundwise I am very impressed, and would definitely recommend it. The vocals however, doesn't do it for me. I suspect I might be in the minority here, but I like growls and screams when they add emphasis and as a contrast to sung lyrics. When the vocals only consists of growling and screaming, it gets very uninteresting to me. Don't get me wrong, they are very well performed, this is just the exact thing which keeps me uninterested in black metal generally.

TL;DR
    The vocals keeps me from really liking what is on all other points very cool and well performed metal. This is a general issue I have with a lot of black metal. Change it up to some sung lyrics with screams for contrast, and I would probably be hooked.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it took almost two years, but it seems our album finally found it's way to the intertubes. And just as we sorted out shipping to the part of the world that isn't europe for less than a fortune. Great stuff.

Since I can't do a thign about it, and since I don't really care somehow, go ahead and download it. You have my blessing.

Due to board rules I won't link to it, though. All the info you need is out there.
    Just sayin'.
    dude
    nice band
    i love your group
    also Dada for me the vocals were spectacular
    9.5/10
    here be a link
    http://twoguysmetalreviews.blogspot....-infinity.html
    also whoracle if you guys ever come to paris i would totally be willing to review a concert and interview you guys
    also if you want to make me feel special you could send me a CD

again
    nice sound
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

7. - Top - End - #367

@Dada: no offense perceived, nevermind. I've always found growling et al to be an aquired taste, and for some people it just does not push the right buttons. Comes with the job, I guess ;)

@Grimbold: You might be in luck there. If everything goes alright we're touring in October, and countries we're going to are Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Austria and France, plus maybe Germany.

Don't know which cities yet, though. I'll keep you posted.

Also, nice review, overall, although, if you don't mind some criticism, you might want to step back a little on the use of the word "sound" there. But well written overall.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

@Grimbold: You might be in luck there. If everything goes alright we're touring in October, and countries we're going to are Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Austria and France, plus maybe Germany.

Don't know which cities yet, though. I'll keep you posted.

Also, nice review, overall, although, if you don't mind some criticism, you might want to step back a little on the use of the word "sound" there. But well written overall.
    im glad to see that you'll probably be coming to my hometown of paris that'll be cool

thank you for the advice bro
    My Metal Blog

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Somebody remembered

That said, I don't even generally play with an amp when I'm at home and when I'm playing somewhere else I'll use one of theirs. Mostly this is just my bass teachers house anyway - and he's got one hell of an amp.

Besides that, Squires aren't too bad. I got one with an insane neck, but it's still completely usable - and my only bass 'til I get a job

So I guess my only real recommendation is that you're in a similar position to me and I'm okay?
    Squires sound fine, especially because I tend to play with a lot of distortion. If I'm recording, I have a friend with a beautiful Fender that I can borrow, so this would just be for practice and live purposes. And I'm getting it for $50, so there's not much to quibble about. Besides, once you've practiced on a Squire for a few years, switching to a Fender suddenly makes you three times better at bass.

I'm liking Acoustics right now for three reasons: they're cheap, they're loud, and there's a ****tonne of lows. Gotta have dem lows.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Squires sound fine, especially because I tend to play with a lot of distortion. If I'm recording, I have a friend with a beautiful Fender that I can borrow, so this would just be for practice and live purposes. And I'm getting it for $50, so there's not much to quibble about. Besides, once you've practiced on a Squire for a few years, switching to a Fender suddenly makes you three times better at bass.

I'm liking Acoustics right now for three reasons: they're cheap, they're loud, and there's a ****tonne of lows. Gotta have dem lows.
    agreed
    however as a note to up and coming bassists dont start with a squire as they can be hard to play

also i have been getting into hammerfall-like power metal lately, any suggestions?
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    also i have been getting into hammerfall-like power metal lately, any suggestions?
    Try these out.

Evergrey
    Luca Turilli
    Gamma Ray
    Sabaton

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372

also Dada for me the vocals were spectacular
    @Dada: no offense perceived, nevermind. I've always found growling et al to be an aquired taste, and for some people it just does not push the right buttons. Comes with the job, I guess ;)
    First off, I am glad no offence was perceived, as none was meant.

It is indeed quite spectacular vocals. What I was trying to say was that I prefer growls as a vocal tool for emphasis and contrast instead of as a continuous style. I was not critiquing the quality of the vocals which is very high, nor am I averse of growling in general, I was just explaining that this particular use of growls doesn't do much for me. I hope this is clearer.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

13. - Top - End - #373

It's a fantastic album. I'll probably be listening to this more than the new Bodom album over the next few weeks. You guys definitely have the potential to go big once you get a new guitarist.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You're from Germany and you're not touring there? Interesting...

Also: USA Tour! USA Tour! Come to Austin! Austin doesn't have enough good metal shows (... 1... and it was canceled, that's how many there have been this year, to my knowledge; unless you count a Metalcore/hardcore show).

No, that was not meant to be taken seriously.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

You're from Germany and you're not touring there? Interesting...

Also: USA Tour! USA Tour! Come to Austin! Austin doesn't have enough good metal shows (... 1... and it was canceled, that's how many there have been this year, to my knowledge; unless you count a Metalcore/hardcore show).

No, that was not meant to be taken seriously.
    1. Yes I found that interesting as well
    2. Doesn't Austin have some good southern rock acts?
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

agreed
    however as a note to up and coming bassists dont start with a squire as they can be hard to play
    I dunno about this, peoples first instruments are nearly always of a poor standard (some keys on my sisters first piano didn't even make ANY noises ) but learning on something dodgy is all just part of the experience!

And in the long run, Squires aren't that bad. Just, like I said, get the neck and everything looked at. Srsly.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

I've played the thing, and while it's not as easy as a Fender, it's not /too/ bad. No outstanding problems with it, at least. And I might be able to get an old Fender tube practice amp off a friend...

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

1. Yes I found that interesting as well
    2. Doesn't Austin have some good southern rock acts?
    I wouldn't know, I don't know any good southern rock acts.

Seriously, I listen to, almost exclusively, Metal. My prefered styles being Power/Folk/MeloDeath. Any band from that Genre, I'll recongize, likely, but that's about it.

I did go to a (Pop?) punk rock show (Against Me! Headlined) and that was unimaginably brilliant, arguably better than Epica, but only cuz the crowd was better (no moshing during the Epic made me a sad panda; I wanted to mosh to Kingdom of Heaven).

The two Metal shows I'm really interested in are both in Houston, sadly. One at the end of this semester and the other at the beginning of the next one. Though I'll be on the lookout for decent metal during South by Southwest as well as probably go see Protest the Hero later this month.

Still, I missed Elueveitie because I don't have a car and I'll probably miss Amon Amarth for the same reason. No car means its really difficult to drive to Houston/San Antonio, especially on a Week night, for a metal show.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I'm gonna have to get to Austin for SxSW at some point... we have Noise Pop here, but it's not the same at all.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iron Maiden's gonna play here at the end of the month. It's one of the benefits of living in a big town.

Or at least for most people, because I won't be able to go.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

@Moff: I don't even recognize most of the bands, ha.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I'm gonna have to get to Austin for SxSW at some point... we have Noise Pop here, but it's not the same at all.
    Ugh, don't remind me. Agalloch are playing at SxSW this year...

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Ugh, don't remind me. Agalloch are playing at SxSW this year...
    I'm gonna try my damnedest to go see that show... just short of paying $170 for a SxSW ticket.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

24. - Top - End - #384

Saw Turisas and Nachtmystium earlier tonight. The Turisas set was brilliant, and the Nachtmystium was very enjoyable; gonna have to get some more of their music.
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Lockbox View Post
    Saw Turisas and Nachtmystium earlier tonight. The Turisas set was brilliant, and the Nachtmystium was very enjoyable; gonna have to get some more of their music.
    that sounds really cool
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #386

Gonna do a (belated) write-up of my Black Label Society gig on the 21st:

Black Label Society, supported by Godsized, at the Hammersmith Apollo, 21st February

Okay, so I'm not big on BLS; I only started listening to them about a month ago. Pretty solid but nothing outstanding in my eyes. My friend Rhys however adores them- so naturally we went to see them.

Got in, ludicrously expensive merchandise- £60 for a hoodie? You're bloody kidding me- and food, naturally. Grabbed myself a pint and managed to get in for about the last few songs for BLS' support, Godsized.

These guys were pretty tight, at least near the end of the set. Most of the crowd got genuinely worked up over these guys, and if their amps had been turned up a bit, then I think they genuinely would've given BLS a run for their money (considering how they turned out). Nice riffs, some good vocals, and really good beats to mosh to.

About half an hour later, BLS come on, and blast into it, no bull. Can't remember the set exactly, but I think it was most of Order of the Black's opening tracks, followed by In The River and then Godspeed Hellbound from OotB again. There was a kind of 'intermission' in between where Zakk Wylde did possibly the most sloppy solo. It wasn't skill, it wasn't anything, just pure speed and it sounded absolutely abysmal. Don't know if it was the sound (but the sound had been good all night, especially for other solos) set-up, but seriously, after about a minute everyone was just going "yeah, alright Zakk, we know you can play." They didn't really interact with the crowd much at all, which was a shame- I like the band to be friendly. But meh, no love lost.

Now, I have to make a conceit. I don't go to gigs often, and I've never been in a proper mosh pit before (scandal!), so naturally I got completely messed up. Got my Behemoth t-shirt ripped at the sleeve too, dangit. Some of the people in the pit genuinely seemed to be ********s, deliberately pushing my female friend repeatedly in the back so much that she turned around and scared the crap out of him. There was a bit of thievery as well, but our karate-come-viking pal practically threw him to the front with another guy, so he was promptly dealt with.

In short: playing was good for the most part, but the support almost upstaged BLS in being more interactive, spirited and... well, they were just good. BLS put out what seemed to me to be a very half-arsed performance and, although they played right, they just didn't interact at all. Drunk/pot smoking *******s semi-ruined the mosh pit, but you can't win 'em all really.

Got Sonata Arctica on the 20th this month (if I can afford it) and Kamelot (minus Roy Khan- fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!) in April, so looking forward to more actual gigging as opposed to being an armchair supporter of bands I like

Sorry, this write-up is so sloppy. D:
    Last edited by Dragor; 2011-03-07 at 08:46 PM.
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

@Dragor: I saw BLS last year for my birthday, I was also disappointed. I paid a lot for the ticket and had hoped that Children of Bodom (who was the 2nd act) was going to put on a real good show. Children of Bodom had SERIOUS audio issues, cuz I couldn't hear the Keyboard or the LEad guitar the entire show. Let alone the vocals (which are always messed up, i feel like, I've seen a lot of bands with harsh vocals, you never really hear the guy). The first act was a joke, their frontman was a tool and their stage-presence was comedic in hindsight (as in, its so bad its funny). Then clutch took stage after Bodom and I was like, "wait... wut? You guys are a rock band, wtf are you doing at a HEAVY METAL concert?" They played fine, couldn't hear the vocals and I'm pretty sure their frontman complained about sound (again: I could NOT HEAR THE GUY).

BLS got on stage and same problem: even when they weren't playing, I couldn't hear Zakk Wylde. 50% of what he said was audible. Their performance of In the River was a waste of time, cuz nothing sounded any good, which is a shame cuz its a good song. Zakk did a solo and I wasn't impressed by anything other than the length. Sure, he can play, but it just went on and on and on and I'm like, "Can we just have Alexi play an audible solo, instead, please?"

Oh, and the crowd was a bunch of asshats. I think stayed clear of the pit, but there were a lot of drunk idiots being... drunk idiots. And yeah, Merchanise was stupid expensive. I bought a Bodom Shirt cuz I like their music, but that's about it.

Having said all of that, I'd see Children of Bodom again if they toured with the right people, because I really get the feeling they are better musicians than that show made them out to be. Everything but the lead guitar seemed really well done; amazing amazing riffs. Its just I was said cuz its Alexi Laiho, arguably the best guitarist in the world, and I couldn't hear his solos. Of course, the fact that another guy I talked to at a later show (semi-average show with a bunch of metalcore bands; 1 of which was really good, 2 average, 1 bad) and he saw them in Houston or something and wasn't impressed.

edit: @Kamelot, only reason I'm looking forward to their US tour is Alestorm. Kamelot minus Roy Khan is half the band, and I don't really know a lot about Rhapsody. However, Alestorm is supposed to be megafun live, and as much as they are a mediocre band, fun live shows are fun.
    Last edited by toasty; 2011-03-07 at 09:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Jesus, you guys are lucky to have all these metal shows. I live in Malaysia, and metal bands do not, as a rule, come here - the government has something against it, and I've even heard of metal fans being arrested. At least I got to see Iron Maiden in Singapore in February... although I missed the Blackdiamondskye tour in KL for once for it. Ah well, you win some, you lose some (and from what I've seen of Mastodon live on YouTube, they suck live anyway).

And about Iron Maiden, that was an awesome show. It's really inspiring to see 20,000 people in a country where I don't think they've toured before singing along to every single word. Also, one of the best live versions of "Blood Brothers" I've ever seen. I'd have liked more of their older material, though.
    The below statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    Figure that one out.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Pregnant_Pickle View Post
    Jesus, you guys are lucky to have all these metal shows. I live in Malaysia, and metal bands do not, as a rule, come here - the government has something against it, and I've even heard of metal fans being arrested. At least I got to see Iron Maiden in Singapore in February... although I missed the Blackdiamondskye tour in KL for once for it. Ah well, you win some, you lose some (and from what I've seen of Mastodon live on YouTube, they suck live anyway).

And about Iron Maiden, that was an awesome show. It's really inspiring to see 20,000 people in a country where I don't think they've toured before singing along to every single word. Also, one of the best live versions of "Blood Brothers" I've ever seen. I'd have liked more of their older material, though.
    Jesus, you're lucky, you saw Iron Maiden.

I've seen a handful of shows, and I could see more but I don't have unlimited money/time. Honestly, you have to be in a big city (which here in Texas is Houston/Dallas, Houston is your best bet it seems) to get all the good bands, and they only tour every so often.

But yeah, Malaysia is probably a bad place to live in if you like Heavy Metal. But Bangladesh (where I USED) to live is worse, unless you like the local music, but I wasn't ever impressed by that stuff.

30. - Top - End - #390

edit: @Kamelot, only reason I'm looking forward to their US tour is Alestorm. Kamelot minus Roy Khan is half the band, and I don't really know a lot about Rhapsody. However, Alestorm is supposed to be megafun live, and as much as they are a mediocre band, fun live shows are fun.
    Dude, Kamelot with Fabio Lione on vocals is going to be an experience for the ages. I love Roy's vocals, but seriously...never discount a long-haired Italian dude in a frilly shirt for power metal vocals.
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal