New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In the Plains of Yl (IC)

Laraek

Ready to go and waiting for the other to finish their pleasantries, Laraek examines Zindar. "What magical precautions have been taken to keep you safe? What are your self-defensive capabilities? Explain while departing city."
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-27 at 08:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n looks Theo up and down, "Lakarr'n, ex-Zaka border patrol field medic, pleasure to be working with you sir."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    As you walk out the Belrondar guard building towards the stables right next to it, the merchant starts trying to asnwers some of the questions presented at him. "The Aeral are a fairly reclusive group, but they could also be very useful." He explains as he takes out the key to the stable gate well ahead of time. "The tribe is said to train their warriors into odd sorts of magician." He walks up to the gate and twists the key in the hole, only earning a glance from the stablehand as he walks in. "And we're going to recruit them."

Chas' attempts at cleaning Hayre's boot were both unnoticed by the two and unsuccessful. Unsurprisingly, it was hard to clean a boot when it was being moved. All his attempt accomplishes is a few odd looks from onlookers in the short time you are on the street.

The bodyguard then hoists himself up to the reins as the merchant gets up on the back of the two-horse led wagon. It seems to be already loaded with all sorts of supplies, and ready to leave at a moment's notice. The merchant motions you to get up on the wagon. Then, he starts answering the warforged's questions. "The magical isn't a threat as much as the physical in the plains. That is why I hire bodyguards." He explains. "That said, I'm not quite as defenseless as I look, though still no fighter. I have learned a few bits of minor arcane theory." He takes out something that looks like a wand from a side pocket of his pack, and immediately sets it back in. "Still, I mostly rely on guards."

His official bodyguard doesn't seem to be entering the conversation, instead simply spurring the horses forward out of stables, and into the streets of Tren. People are quick to make way for the mounts as you advance through the city. You should be out of the gates shortly.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien

Dacien slings her pack into the back of the wagon and climbs in, finding a comfortable position among the supplies. After adjusting her weaponry to allow for ease of drawing, Dacien turns to Zindar to talk as the wagon makes its way through the streets towards the gate. "Are you looking to recruit the whole tribe? Or just some of the warrior-magicians?"

As Dacien listens to Zindar's response and the others talking, she idly wonders about this "odd magic". Her own studies into the mystical arts have revealed that there are certainly some unsavoury magical practices in the world, some involving live sacrifices and unwholesome bargains with evil powers from beyond the mortal realm. She shudders slightly, hoping that these Aeral magicians aren't practitioners of those sorts of magic.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Laraek starts up after the wagon as it starts to move, declining to climb aboard. Staying near the rear, it listens to Zindar's explanations with interest. At the mention of the strange magics the tribe practices, and the goal of the mission, its wings flare slightly, but are quickly controlled. Nodding at the merchants abilities to defend himself, the golem seems to relax slightly, though it was impossible to say how.

Scanning the crowds the pass towards the gate, it listens with interest to Dacien's query, keeping a steady pace as a rear guard.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n climbs onto the back of the wagon and makes himself comfortable, making sure he can move at a moment’s notice. he listens to the conversations, not really having anything to say or ask, finding his questions answered, without the need to say anything.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Xaine hops onto the wagon, quietly wondering what sorts of warrior-magicians these Aeral folk could be. Although, if they are all that powerful, why do they seclude themselves to a reclusive existence out on the plains? One would expect them to attempt to conquer surrounding tribes and carve out name and territory for themselves. If it is out of utmost tradition that they isolate themselves, then what might Zindar hope to achieve in trying to recruit them?
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Chas eyes the wagon with trepidation, likely looking for a clean seat. He steps cautiously onto the wagon, squatting in the cleanest available space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    You are quickly carted out of the city, people making way for the horses and the cart following them. The group starts to make good time towards the Aeral lands. The arid plains are quickly being crossed. Theo tries to strike up some sort of small talk within the group, also eventually taking out some sorts of snacks to eat.

Sometime after, they decide the horses deserve the same courtesy, and Hayre stops the wagon, hauling out some feed from the back of the cart, and getting feeding the horses. However, at this point, something unusual appears.

A young child is approaching from the opposite direction, alone. As he walks closer, you see a few things about him. Firstly, he is clad in a skirtlike cloth, and on his chest is tattooed a symbol. "Aeral." Hayre notes, walking closer to the oddly placed youth.

He cannot be more than eight years old, and the Aeral are still a day's trip away. No-one else can be seen around. No one but you seven, the horses and the child. The child is looking down, arms hanging from the shoulders, but his step is still steady and resolute, even if he otherwise appears tired.

Hayre places himself in the youth's path as he approaches. Zindar has now gotten out of the wagon, and appears puzzled and slightly worried about this. Not often you see a child as young as this going around on his own. And trips of such distance, and on foot. He carries a small bag on his shoulder, but nothing more.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Xaine deftly hops off the wagon and approaches the boy, scratching his head, uncertain of what to make of him. Once he comes within conversing distance, he stops and leans casually on his spear. "Greetings, I am Xaine, from the city of Trent. Can you... uh... speak common."
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Keeping its focus on the approaching child, Laraek addresses the puzzled merchant, "Do you know this child? Is he a threat?" Small licks of flame escape the sides of the golem's mouth crevice as it readies itself to take flight. Careful of falling into a trap, it examines their surroundings more closely, searching for any signs of an ambush.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+10)[23]

Readied Action At the first hostile act from the child or any accomplices, Laraek will breath an Entangling Fire Breath at the hostile most threatening the merchant. It'll use either a 30' line or 15' cone, whichever is needed.

Fire damage - (2d6)[4]
    Reflex DC 23 for half damage. Any creature damaged by the breath is entangled for (1d4)[4] rounds.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-02-06 at 08:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien

Dacien likewise dismounts from the wagon and moves to stand closer to Zindar, glancing around for any potential threats. "Can you think of any reason why a lone Aeral child would be this close to Tren?" she asks the negotiator. Calling ready to mind the appropriate incantations for a Haste spell, she looks more closely at the child, examining him for any signs of injury or mistreatment.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+10)[22]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[18]
    Ready Haste, targetting all party members except for Hayre.

13. - Top - End - #73

Chasstays on the wagon, and eyes the boy with intense curiosity. He cups his hand over his brow, arching his neck to see more clearly. "His tattoo!" Chas exclaims. "It's so...crooked!" He looks away, the image of the off-center tattoo burned in his skull. He wonders to himself if there's anyway to stretch and rotate skin, pausing to think if he's seen that symbol elsewhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Spot check, if the child is particularly far from the caravan, as well as a set of knowledge rolls, since I'm not sure which would apply (though I'm thinking local (for Aeral customs) or religion (for ritual significance).

Spot - (1d20+2)[3]
    Know Arcana - (1d20+13)[25]
    Know Local - (1d20+13)[27]
    Know Nature - (1d20+13)[26]
    Know Planes - (1d20+13)[29]
    Know Religion - (1d20+13)[17]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-02-07 at 05:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n gets out of the wagon and walks up near the horses and merely waits for something to happen, that would require action on his part.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    "I have no clue." Zindar says. "They're usually pretty tight knit." He notes, continuing to watch the situation. "I can't see a youngling like that being a threat." He answers to Laraek.

The child has now stopped, examining the group with slitted eyes. He opens his mouth, keeping silent for a second as if searching for words, but still speaking with surprising deliberateness. "Common... Yes." He has now moved to a more upright position, and you cannot see any obvious injuries or mistreatment apparent from him. He does seem to be almost unconsciously exhausted, but his demeanor doesn't reveal it, almost as if he didn't know at all.

There doesn't seem to be anyone else around, and as far as you can tell, the child is truly traveling alone. "This child is acting oddly. I don't like this." Hayre notes, trying to keep his voice low enough so the child doesn't hear him.

Chas
    You know that the tattoo is really just tradition, and doesn't have much ritual significance. However, they are often used in gauging the importance of the person with the tattoo in the tribal hierarchy. This particular tattoo seems to denote an important position of some kind. Likely, the child is a son of someone with an important hereditary position.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-02-09 at 08:52 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Laraek nods at Zindar, remaining vigilant. Xaine should try to get information out of the child...I've had more than enough fruitless experiences with these undeveloped creatures. I'm still not sure why three of them started crying.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien

"Poor kid," Dacien says to the child in a kind voice. "You look exhausted. Here..." from the wagon she retrieves a waterskin and some food. "Sit down, rest. Have something to eat and drink, then tell us what happened." As she approaches the Aeral child, Dacien mutters to the others "Keep a close watch on him, warn me if he does anything odd."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

(Regardless of whether he accepts Dacien's invitation)

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    "Common... Yes."
    "Ah good. So you can understand the words coming out of my mouth then." Xaine says as he continues casually leaning on his spear. "Well, like I said, I come from Trent, about 2 days walk that-a-way. The City is in a bit of a mess now- there's been a major wave of crime recently, and the guards seem to be a bit in over their heads. You would do well to watch yourself and your valuables if you are stopping over there."

Spoiler
    Show

Use Naberius to take 10 to Diplomacy for 22 to improve attitude.

He pauses for a bit before asking. "Any news of significance you can tell us about... wherever it is you came from?" There was the possibility that the child could be someone on an important mission. Or he could be a young man attempting some traditional ritual of adulthood that require he leave home for a while. But the most likely scenario, was that he was a runaway.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n continues to wait.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    The child glances around frantically, as if looking for a way out of something, not at all soothed by what Dacien says. He regards Xaine with reservation, seemingly instinctively drawing back. Fear and uncertainty paint his face, and you get no coherent response. He twitches, before suddenly closing his eyes. He twitches slightly again.

The child opens his eyes, revealing them to be suddenly horribly bloodshot. The child snarls, baring his teeth, some of which curve into slight fangs. Any signs of tiredness are suddenly gone, and the child reaches two fingers into the bag on his shoulder, drawing a small knife, dropping the bag itself. At this point, the child is suddenly hit by a stream of fire, which he flinches away from. He doesn't look very damaged from it. It clearly caused him pain, but it seems that it didn't cause him any real damage. Then, Dacien gets a quick spell off, speeding the group's reactions up.

Zindar appears startled, and Hayre reaches for his blade. He looks uncertain though.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-02-12 at 06:28 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Chas draws knives and attacks the suddenly extremely aggressive child, who nearly dodges one knife while, which fails to scratch him, while he takes the second head on as it simply dings off him.

Then he keeps concentrates, keeping his guard against Chas as a sickening aura erupts in your midst, bowling over you as a thick, dark veil, leaving being a retching feeling and apparent physical damage.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-02-15 at 12:15 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Spoiler
    Show
    Laraek
    TN Dragonborn Warforged Dragonfire Adept
    Level 6
    Init +0
    Perception +10 Spot, +10 Listen
    HP 69/77
    Speed 20ft (Land) | 30ft (Fly, average maneuverability)
    AC 21, Touch 10, Flat-footed 21
    Fort +13, Ref +3, Will +6
    Immune Poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause sickened, energy drain, and Frightful Presence of dragons
    BAB/Grapple +3/+4
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 10, Con 24, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Condition -
    Item Anklet of Translocation [2/2 d], Wand of Light Repair Damage [50/50]
    Other Effects Blindsense 30' | Darkvision 60' | See Invisibility | Endure Elements

Flame dances across the demonic boy as he looses the cloud of fumes. With a low growl the silvery construct thrusts itself into the air for a moment, its wings flapping majestically carrying it outside the fumes. As it settles to the ground it appears to breath towards the child again, but no fire appears to issue forth. However, the swirling vapors trailing after Laraek and in between it and their creator take on an odd quality, their movements slowed as if they were passing through a wall of amber.

Spoiler
    Show
    At the beginning of Laraek's turn, the child takes fire damage - (1d6)[2]
    Move Action Fly up and out of the cloud of fumes, landing within 15' of the child and in a position to breath a cone without hitting any allies
    Standard Action Breath a 15' cone Slow Breath targeting the child. The child is slowed for 2 rounds. This is reduced to 1 round with a successful DC 22 Fortitude save.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Xaine waits for a bit, before executing an acrobatic somersault forward until he is face to face with the child. Holding his spear in one hand, he uses the other to try and slap the boy across his face. "Stop this!"

Spoiler
    Show

Immediate Action: Moment of Perfect Mind (1d20+16)[20]

Delay Actions until after Dacien, so as to give her Rays a clear shot.

Move Action: Tumble forward (1d20+13)[22]

Standard Action: Unarmed Attack Strength Draining Strike, dealing non-lethal since we presumably want to bring him back to his tribe alive.

Unarmed Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[27] (not including +1 from Haste)
    Unarmed Damage Roll: (1d6+4)[7]

Additionally, he must make a DC 13 Fort Save or take 4 Str damage. A successful save halves Str damage to 2.

Status
    HP: 42/50
    AC: 18 / 15 Flatfooted / 13 Touch (Including +1 Haste)

Maneuvers Readied
    Swordsage
    -Moment of Perfect Mind
    -Action Before Thought
    -Mind over Body
    -Cloak of Deception

Warblade
    -Sudden Leap
    -Battle Leader's Charge
    -Strength Draining Strike

Stance: Leading the Charge (+5 to Charge Damage for all allies within 60 ft)

Edit: Note that numbers above do not yet reflect damage/sickened from the Boy's aura. And I also apparently forgot that Dacien has cast haste.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2011-02-15 at 02:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Dacien:

Dacien's eyes widen in alarm at the boy's sudden transformation. The child is possessed! As she just manages to complete her spell the thought is confirmed when an unnatural darkness bursts among the group, leaving her weakened and sick to the core. "Zindar and Hayre, fall back!" Dacien yells between coughing fits. "Everyone else, surround it."

Using her spell-enhanced speed, Dacien circles around the Aeral boy, maintaining a safe distance. As she moves, the young sorceress recites incantations and performs arcane gestures; and, raising a trembling hand, launches a ray of slowly-pulsating blue energy at the child.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to identify the attack: (1d20+8)[28]
    Move action: move to a flanking position 40' from the child.
    Standard action: cast Ray of Clumsiness (1d20+4)[16] (touch attack, sickness and Haste taken into account) for (1d6+3)[5] Dexterity penalty.

HP: 24/40
    AC: 20 (+2 Dexterity, +1 Deflection, +3 Dodge, +4 Mage Armor)
    Conditions: Sickened
    Spells Active: Mage Armor, Haste
    Spell slots remaining: 5/4/6/3

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lakarr'n was surprised by the sudden change in the child but not too surprised, the kid was tired not and properly not thinking strait due to such, this transformation could be some sort of tribal magic, not a curse. But then again it could be, the quickest way to find out was to ask. However asking might be difficult right now, though circumstances could be altered. Though the fighting had already started it was still worth a try. waiting till he seemingly had enough time to get the spell off without others being in the middle of an attack he casts Calm Emotions, centred on the kid (DC 15)

Spoiler
    Show
    Calm Emotions
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Law 2
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: Creatures in a 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    This spell calms agitated creatures. You have no control over the affected creatures, but calm emotions can stop raging creatures from fighting or joyous ones from revelling. Creatures so affected cannot take violent actions (although they can defend themselves) or do anything destructive. Any aggressive action against or damage dealt to a calmed creature immediately breaks the spell on all calmed creatures. This spell automatically suppresses (but does not dispel) any morale bonuses granted by spells such as bless, good hope, and rage, as well as negating a bard’s ability to inspire courage or a barbarian’s rage ability. It also suppresses any fear effects and removes the confused condition from all targets. While the spell lasts, a suppressed spell or effect has no effect. When the calm emotions spell ends, the original spell or effect takes hold of the creature again, provided that its duration has not expired in the meantime.

26. - Top - End - #86

Chas O'Malley

Chas paused for a moment to study his opponent, shifting his weight onto the balls of his feet. Suddenly, the frazzled man seemed like an entirely different creature--a sleek, graceful predator created for combat. He lithely tucked and rolled around the child, remembering his courses on human anatomy in mid-somersault. The temple and the jaw are two easily damaged points in the human cranium, and blunt force can cause a loss of consciousness or, in some cases, death.

A misty cloud began forming behind the child, from which Chas' sneering face emerged. "You sicken me, kid," he whispered. He spun his daggers by the handle, striking the child with the handles on his right temple and jaw in a wide, sweeping strike.

"Try to subdue," Chas called to his fellows with alien confidence, "he may be the child of a significant tribesman."

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Free action: designate child as dodge target for +1 AC
    Free action: Knowledge Devotion (boosted by Collector of Stories)
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+18)[28] +3 insight bonus to attacks and damage against humanoids for remainder of combat
    Move action: tumble around child to stand behind him (boosted by Inspiration 2 out of 4 for this encounter)
    Tumble - (1d20+14)[19]
    Swift action: activate Mithralmist armor for 1 minute of concealment
    Free action: speak
    Standard action: attack twice for nonlethal damage (-4 penalty offset by Inspiration points 3 and 4 for this encounter)
    Attack 1 - (1d20+9)[19] +3 from Know Devo
    Damage 1 - (1d4+8)[11] +3 from Know Devo
    Guile Damage 1 - (1d6)[3]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+9)[22] +3 from Know Devo
    Damage 2 - (1d4+8)[12] +3 from Know Devo
    Guile Damage 2 - (1d6)[6]

Final Results: 22 vs. AC for 17 nonlethal damage, 25 vs. AC for 21 nonlethal damage.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-02-15 at 06:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

All
    Zindar pulls out a wand of some sort while waiting for the situation to play out. Then Dacien casts a spell at the child, but the ray is somehow warded away. Xaine is then quick to move, whacking the child across the face, though it barely fazes him and it feels like hitting a plank.

Hayre watches Laraek move to a better position to further impair the child, responding to Dacien with a "No. This is our problem just as it is yours!" before rushing into the fray himself to knock him in the head with the pommel of his blade. This attack is however, completely ignored by the child. Finally, Zindar himself acts, pointing the wand and sending a ball of bluish energy, trailed by a "tail" of similar energy towards the child, causing his face to contort slightly. Then, Chas strikes the child twice from behind with the pommels, causing much less damage than expected. They are solid blows, but they cause much less of a reaction than expected, and cause no bruises.

Finally, the gnoll priest sends out an emanation of calmness, erasing the frantic aggression from the child, replacing it with mere untrusting glances.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-02-16 at 01:54 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

And thus my theory that I was unlikely to need to make 2 Will Saves in a row is blown out of the water.

Will Save vs Calm Emotions (1d20+5)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Xaine

Despite not falling under the sway of the spell, Xaine sheathes his spear as a sign of parlay (not that he had used it in anyway so far). He crosses his arms and starts talking. "Hey guys, any idea whats up with this kid? He's not acting like any boy I know of. I mean, little Dennis next door back home was a real terror, but not like this."

Spoiler
    Show

Full Round Action: Recover Maneuvers.

Can we get a knowledge roll to figure out whats wrong with the kid?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Laraek

Glancing at the group of people surrounding the strange child, Laraek follows their lead and does not further engage the now-calmer boy. "Child appears calmer. Restraints seem advisable. As does Zindar maintaining distance. Can child be confirmed of Aeral origin? If unrelated to mission termination is recommended."