New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1520
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Tomb of Horrors

Spoiler
    Show

dude 27? if she has spell focus and greater spell focus it means she has a charisma of 30-31? (since the spell is 4-5th level spell as you said mid range)

Damn perhaps I simply stop fighting and I join her without her needing to roll or something.

Also do I understand why I lost shield? Did she do two readied actions or something?

Welby looks at the vampire, sits down slowly and does as he planned. He had almost already visualised the results and effects.

His soul goes into the gem and the Vampire's soul comes under attack as he tries to force it there.

Spoiler
    Show

As per the spell.

I see diffrent positive and negative life forms.

I cant differentiate level but I can see stronger and weaker.

So I see the "flame" of Jake and Quinn. They are both similar to my eyes

I see the "dark flame" of 4 undead. One is obviously MUCH MUCH stronger than the other 3 (regardless of the actual location, for all I know the vampire is pretending to be one of the zombies).

If there are any invisible undead or alive in the area of effect I also see them. If there is such a case I may change something in this post. Assuming there are no other presences I go for the strongest undead presence.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-23 at 02:19 PM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

TheVampire/Daina shrugs, "DC twenty-seven! Ten plus five for Spiritwall, so fifteen. I increased my Charisma scores at levels four and eight, leaving me with a score of twenty for my Charisma score... Plus four for becoming a vampire... Lost a few levels though. So twenty-four Charisma, modified to twenty-eight by Eagle's Splendor, and a plus nine modifier. So... Twenty-four DC... And I took Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus for Necromancy... Twenty-six DC, Cloak of Charisma, +2, makes it +28!"
    Also do I understand why I lost shield? Did she do two readied actions or something?
    "One can't Ready two actions! It was Dispelled. Worrying about it will just get you killed!"
    Okay, before I narrate what Welby "sees", you have to understand that once the spell is initially cast, Welby is inside the magic jar and his body falls dead, THEN he gets to find a target.
    So, if he casts this spell, he gets to choose someone to attack or not.

3. - Top - End - #1203

Spoiler
    Show

eagles splendor and cloak of charisma dont stack. They are both enchantment bonuses... but if indeed it has all the other stuff DC is 26 so I failed anyway... I was also not sure if its 5th or 4rth level spell as you said mid levels and I dont actually know that spell :D

As for magic jar.

the body falls down empty. I see the life or unlife sparks and choose which one to go for.

While attempting to possess someone IS an action returning to mine is a free action. Says so in black and white.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

What's up with all that meta gaming between the vampiress and welby?
    characters

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    the body falls down empty. I see the life or unlife sparks and choose which one to go for.

While attempting to possess someone IS an action returning to mine is a free action. Says so in black and white.
    Of course.
    Good call on the not stacking.

What's up with all that meta gaming between the vampiress and welby?
    It was in the synopsis!
    Welby is being targeted by a previous explorer of the Tomb who has been driven insane by her experiences. The insanity manifests itself as fourth-wall breaking.
    Monodominant is still spectacularly roleplaying this encounter as Welby.
    I am impressed.

The world goes dark as Welby's soul sinks into the multifaceted recesses of the gem...
    With a rush, he takes up a position in his abode and peers through the rose colored viewing planes that allow him to look out into the world, and see it a little differently...
    He can see two bright lights, burning white but fading quickly...
    One is behind him, to the north, and the other is to the south. This light is especially feeble...
    It is surrounded by three instances of an absence of light...
    Directly before Welby is another brightflame, and flickers wildly, but it is surrounded by a ring of more white light...
    Finally, to the southwest, Welby can see a dark light, madly flickering, surrounded by two rings of light, one ring white and the other a neutral grey...
    A white ring of light surrounds Welby's body as well...

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Special Map Incoming

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, folks. I've decided to drop out of this game. I simply find it impossible to keep up with what's going on anymore, due to the high volume of posts. I think part of it is because the thread is being used for both IC and OOC chat, which creates a crushing amount of new stuff to read every time I check my computer. With the new party members coming to the thread, I just got completely lost.

The last thing I was able to make out, some vampire froze everyone and put acid on Snake's forehead. I never managed to find out what happened after that because of the 4th-wall-breaking vamppire, so I had no idea what posts were IC and what posts were OOC, which ones Snake would know and be able to react to, which I should ignore due to metagaming, etc, etc.

This just has too many people running around now to keep track of it all. You guys can feel free to NPC Snake or to kill him off. Admittedly, I've played Tomb of Horrors before and run it as a DM twice, but even with that knowledge, I found it too complicated to keep track of my actions and position.

Thanks for playing with me, everyone! Happy TPKs!
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2011-02-23 at 04:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Spoiler
    Show

Okay this is more for me.

One bright light in the north - that is Jake who is cowering on the corner.
    One bright but fading in the south - that is Quinn since he was dieing and in minus

Three instances of absence are the zombie Harley Dranga and Bob. Very nicely portrayed since zombies and skeletons and other non-intelligent undread dont have souls and hence nothing I can use.

In front of me is probably the BODY of Diana (since you pretended to forget about it) who is alive although not in her senses (I saw some pages ago around page 30 that you had mentioned the Vampire/Diana and JUST Diana seperatetly indicating she is still around somewhere.

The southwest presence is dark and would indicate the Vampire since its not a simple absence of soul.

Now there is the question of what are those rings of white light and neutral light. Since there is one on me I can deduce its a visual effect of the protection from evil and something else.

Well the Vampire had said that it had 3 protection from evil ((indicating that she is a wizard and a sorceror???)) and was forced to spend two to block me allowing her to perhaps cast one more on herself.

Off course that is of no concern since Welby is NOT evil.

But there is the issue of the "grey light". Now that could indicate a protection from Neutral but frankly speaking... there is no protection from neutrality spell (one of the perks you get for the flaw of being unable to use so many nice magical items that are good/evil dependent).

All of the above can be deduced from me... a mere human guy with average stats... Welby has an intelligence of 16+ and a wisdom of 19 so I am sure he can come to the same conclusions.

So Oasis, from a game world perspective before I take my action can you tell me if Protection from Neutral exists in the setting?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, there is!
    But Protection of any kind does protect from Magic Jar...
    And it's DAINA, not Diana.

I'm making a map.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I call it Jar'o'vision!

11. - Top - End - #1211

Spoiler
    Show

Ah yes I just checked it and you are correct. So the vamp AND Daina have protections.

Interesting how he predicted that too. I think I will as a player (off course not as a character) take some time and change Welbies spells around a bit.

All kidding aside I just realised something. If I lost a level, I lost my 10th level... which means I dont actually have 5th level spells... so magic jar. To avoid changing the whole thing now that I know some info though and not metagame I will do... nothing.

Welby focuses his power to the gem in his hand. He had foreseen the results and knew how with this single move he would end the Vampire trapping it forever.

Unluckily though it seemed that the passage through the wall had done more than tear a little skin. It had robbed him of part of his power.

His eyes which for a second touched the other side of reality look around again noticing the zombies and the person in front of him but failing to notice anyone to his right or left.

He stands there puzzled.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[Facepalms]
    It's a SHE!!!!!!!!!
    TheVampireDaina shrugs, "Tough luck, Welby."
    She leaps back about five feet from Welby, and continues to brandish the wand dangerously.
    Another scorching ray fires from the wand and Welby is burned.
    Simultaneously, Welby's
    Mage Armourfails.

(4d6)[15]Fire damage
    (4d6)[13]

13. - Top - End - #1213

Spoiler
    Show

Does the damage really get re-rolled? Its not something I roll... its something the attacked does so how is my bad luck becoming his good luck?

And scorching ray is not auto hit... it requires ranged touch attack.

And I still have stoneskin which means I take less damage from the previous ray and from this one.

Welby grumbles as he is hit by the ray. He also notices the loss of the magical protection and starts wondering if there is perhaps someone somewhere working with the possessed person in fron of him. Nothing else makes sense. It is strange though that they only try to break 1 of his spells at a time.

Welby stays put and looks around in case he can notice anyone hiding. (standard action spot, move equivalent nothing)

(1d20+6)[11]
    (1d20+6)[23]
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-23 at 05:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I suppose we're better off leaving it. This place seems to be... designed to kill grave robbers, but in a bizarrely sadistic way.

Eduardo is intrigued by the black gem. Onyx is a gemstone associated with death and necromantic magic, a discipline that the Master does not fear, but does respect. If he would make it through to the end of the tomb and confront its architect, perhaps then Eduardo could make sense of the insanity. But without the clever scout and the strong barbarian, he doubts he could make it to the end. He would need to keep the two of them alive.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-02-23 at 05:25 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The warded creature gains resistance to blows, cuts, stabs, and slashes. The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantine. (It ignores the first 10 points of damage each time it takes damage from a weapon, though an adamantine weapon bypasses the reduction.)
    Stoneskin is no protection from magical attacks.

Does the damage really get re-rolled? Its not something I roll... its something the attacked does so how is my bad luck becoming his good luck?
    It says roll twice for all rolls having to do with the character. And when opposed, one's bad luck is ALWAYS somebody's good luck.
    So yes.
    Damage gets re-rolled.

Spot check failed.
    Need a 20 or more to become aware of the invisible.

Eduardo is intrigued by the black gem. Onyx is a gemstone associated with death and necromantic magic, a discipline that the Master does not fear, but does respect. If he would make it through to the end of the tomb and confront its architect, perhaps then Eduardo could make sense of the insanity. But without the clever scout and the strong barbarian, he doubts he could make it to the end. He would need to keep the two of them alive
    Charming.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheOasysMaster View Post
    Charming.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trying to role play a superhumanly-wise, true neutral philosopher with a morbid obsession with death and a complete inability to feel anything resembling fear. It's challenging, but fun.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-02-23 at 05:36 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Welby's Protection from Evil goes next...
    Once more, The Vampire/Daina strikes out with the wand...
    ...and the aim is off...
    The ray of scorching fire arcs above Welby's head, burning along the Spiritwall behind him.

18. - Top - End - #1218

Spoiler
    Show

yea I just realised the stoneskin thing...

hmm I dont know why it had stuck to my mind it worked like that.

Welby cant see anything or anyone besides the obvious and the obvious is always wrong. He recasts protection from evil on himself.

He knows one thing, he tends to have more spells than his opponents do.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-23 at 05:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219

Spoiler
    Show

and this rounds spot checks

(1d20+6)[14]
    (1d20+6)[17]

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Vampire/Daina turns and runs...
    Reflex save
    (1d20+12)[21]
    (1d20+12)[14]

21. - Top - End - #1221

Spoiler
    Show

if thats my reflex remember the +2 from the PfE.

Welby raises an eybrow.

He proceeds to cast shield again and then looks around him

Spoiler
    Show

spot

(1d20+6)[19]
    (1d20+6)[18]

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Fireball detonates an inch from Welby's face...
    (8d6)[31]
    (8d6)[24]
    And the sorceror is engulfed in the flames...
    The damage is pretty damning, and the halfling searches in vain for the source of the attacks...
    There's nothing there!
    TheVampire/Daina turns on her heel, lashing out once more with the
    wand of scorching...
    "Burn!"
    Next, Welby's Reduce Person goes. Dispelled.
    (4d6)[13]
    (4d6)[13]
    So far, Welby has taken 20 Fire damage...
    Okay, you ninja posted me, those actions, the recasting of Shield takes place AFTER the events narrated in THIS post.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Spoiler
    Show

close with that 18-19 on spot but no cigar.

Oh well what can you do...

and sure no problem, after the fireball I cast shield as described.

PS.

Have you figured out welbies plan yet?

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

PS.

Have you figured out welbies plan yet?
    It doesn't matter if I'VE figured out his plan...
    It's whether or not SHE, has figured it out...
    And Welby is running out of Hit Points...
    But on my part, I think you hope to find her, and in some way, turn the Spiritwall upon her...

STILL Calculating total damage...
    At 10th level...
    Welby has 57 Hit Points, and 10(1d4+3) Hit Dice...
    When he gained the Negative Level, he was still unlucky...
    (1d4+3)[6]
    (1d4+3)[4]
    Leaving him with...
    51 HPs...
    And thus, the combined damage from fire, from the alchemical flasks and acid flasks and the Fireball and the various Scorching Rays have left the halfling quite dead...

25. - Top - End - #1225

Spoiler
    Show

nop. Spirit wall causes fear etc which means a vampire is immune to it. And level draining gives vampires temporary hp.

Anyway, tell me when you calculate the damage. My turn has already passed.

By my count I am at -13 if that last scorching ray hit me.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yup.
    And by the way, never tell me what your plan was.
    For some reason, I don't think I want to know.
    Unseen by the smoldering Welby, the Spiritwall is brought down by a final Dispel Magic...
    The Vampire/Daina crosses over the Jake, and turns him over onto his back, sighting down her arrow, she releases the shaft into his leg.

(1d8)[6] + (2d6)[9]
    She kicks him in the head, shaking in pain...
    The Vampire/Daina peers down at Jake, unable to do anything and smiles.
    Then she turns and walks over to the grouped zombies.
    They kneel as The Vampire/Daina draws a sword.
    Four fast strokes and Harley, Dranga, Bob and Snake's zombie heads roll across the floor...
    Finally, she procure's Bob Wand of Cure Light Wounds...
    She pauses, and crouches by Quin, who is rapidly fading from life...
    ...and turns him over.
    She smiles again.
    She stabilizes the cleric...
    "There. Three hitpoints..."
    As Quin's eyes open, Daina winks, "Hello!"

27. - Top - End - #1227

Spoiler
    Show

Well it included the fact that she wanted us to kill her to memorable and become real. Since she killed me instead I guess Welby wins and becomes real no longer bound by the games mechanics and rules... what is hit points after all... if the player says the character lives then for sure he....

you know what? I am just messing...

But in the end to be entirely honest Oasys you simply lost me... not in the sense that I could not follow... the 4rth wall stuff was good and fun up to a point and you are doing a good job with the storytelling part but somewhere down the line when the "predicting" my moves, vampire answering my ooc questions and some random things started happening I simpy gave up as a player. I am not a "dropper" so I wouldnt just dissapear but as you can see from the past 6-7 rounds I guess for me it stopped being fun.

I also thought about suggesting he becomes a Revenant (the template)...

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-02-23 at 06:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Groaning Quin says "What.. What happened", as he reaches for his potions and finding them missing. He then sits bolt upright and looks around for them. "You know where my.... Oh... What in moradins name happeneD?????"

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But in the end to be entirely honest Oasys you simply lost me... not in the sense that I could not follow... the 4rth wall stuff was good and fun up to a point and you are doing a good job with the storytelling part but somewhere down the line when the "predicting" my moves, vampire answering my ooc questions and some random things started happening I simpy gave up as a player. I am not a "dropper" so I wouldnt just dissapear but as you can see from the past 6-7 rounds I guess for me it stopped being fun.

I also thought about suggesting he becomes a Revenant (the template)...
    Man...
    ...than it still needs work...
    Props for being a good sport...
    I'll get rid of her fast.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Vampire/Daina hansds Quin his longspear, "They got pretty messed up... And speaking of Moradin, what are his views on the undead?"