New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Character Builder Thread

Nevermind on my warmind request, I already did it myself...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Why not post it up for critique, then? Maybe someone can help you fine tune it.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

I'm looking for a demonhunter build, some melee fighter specialized in destroying evil outsiders. May be any class, thoug I'd like to avoid LG paladins and paladinish PrCs. Also, i want it to be not-heavy armoured if possible(though medium armor is okay)
    Allowed books: Core, PHB II, Comp. Arcane, Warrior, Divine, Adventurer.
    Level below 14.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-01-22 at 08:58 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Halfling in the Playground

do you want it to be level 14? or anywhere below? do you want a level by level? I found a feat in the book of exalted deeds that will greatly help. I could post it on here if you want to go that far. But if not that is fine....either way... is two weapon fighting ok? I will TRY it....I am not sure when I will post it....but it should be soon....hopefully

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just take cleric 5, some PrC 2, Sacred Exorcist 7. Done. :)

6. - Top - End - #306

RogueGuy

A ranger/foe hunter with evil outsiders as a hated foe. Foe hunter is from masters of the wild.

(later) Oops, didn't read the allowed books. Paladin/Ranger perhaps?

(a little later) Paladin/Ranger/Rogue. Not super, but very crazy cool.
    Last edited by jjpickar; 2007-01-22 at 11:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

By "below 14" I meant that I don't want high level character, but I know that such build would probalby take up some levels. I'd like to avoid being paladin.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #308

RogueGuy

Then try sorcerer/ranger or cleric/ranger for some anti-outsider power.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll go for the obvious: Ranger 5/Cleric 4/Knight of the Chalice 4. The example character from Complete Warrior uses exactly that combination, but you'd want to take two-weapon style instead of archery.

Alternatively, you can take Fighter 5/Cleric 4/Knight of the Chalice 4. That way, you could take Two-Weapon Fighting feat from one of your class bonuses, and still wear Medium armor. You don't get Favored Enemy, but you can take Weapon Specializtion instead (+2 damage vs all enemies rather than +4 vs one class of enemy and +2 vs a second).

Think about taking some of the Divine feats described in Complete Warrior; they trade your daily turning attempts (most DMs won't include undead in an encounter with outsiders) for more damage, AC bonuses, temporary HPs, or elemental resistance to you and your party (depending on the one you choose).

One last idea: take a Halfling and the Giantbane tactical feat (Complete Warrior again). You don't need high strength (the KotC Fiendslaying more than makes up for the loss) and the higher dexterity lends itself to the Two-Weapon style (be sure to take Weapon Finesse). Most Demons and Devils (and practically all higher-level ones) are Large or bigger, so you get to use your Giantbane feat on them.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey everyone. I enjoy this thread so much that I decided to stop lurking and start post... hmm, is there a synonym for posting that rhymes with lurking?

Anyways, I'm going to start with a builder request.

From scratch to ECL 10, level by level. (I'd appreciate up to ECL 15, but that isn't necessary) I would also welcome suggestions for what to aim for after that point.

Books: Between everyone in my group, I have access to just about all non-setting WotC 3.5e material published before mid-2006, as well as some late 3e. No Scoundrel, 9Swords, or Fiendish Codices.

Race: Thri-Kreen - I originally wanted the non-psionic version in MM2, but I'm open to either. My current demo build is a psionic Thri-Kreen from XPH.

Class: I've been leaning towards Ranger, based on my interpretation of Multiweapon Fighting's description (...replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms). If official sources contradict my interpretation, then the ranger's class features would be largely redundant, as MWF is core to this build.

Ability Scores: I rolled obscenely high on my demo build (organic after reroll, before switch 16,11,15,18,14,12), I don't think my DM would let me keep those scores out of fairness to the rest of the party. Use the 28 point buy. Though I'd appreciate advice on which stats to switch if the DM does allow my roll.

Alignment: Any non-Evil alignment.

Concept: Thri-Kreen fighting with two gythka's and gaining related feats as early as possible. Climb should not receive any ranks, Jump should get at least a few.

Other: Primarily for dungeon crawling.

I'll check back tonight or Monday in case anyone wants further clarification.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Could somebody help me build a level 1 Paladin of Freedom with some twists to it?
    Books: Really, I just need a bit of guidance on how to stat it out, and some ideas on how a few things work.
    Race: Human
    Class: Paladin (of Freedom variant)
    Ability Scores: Rolled. Dex: 17, three 14s, an 11, and a 12
    Alignment: Any non-evil
    House Rules: Well, I’m hoping to have a decent character to enter into the beginning of a decently long running play by post campaign, so I don’t want to step on any DM toes. Keep it core, mostly.
    Concept: A peasant youth who never took interest in religion or such. He believes that innocent misdirection and such are not evils, but rather just tools for protecting that which he values. I’m hoping to sort of represent him not as a full-blown Paladin when he’s starting out, but rather a good hearted youth who, depending on how the plot goes, either endears himself to the good gods of the world, or ends up taking levels of something else (probably rogue) if the character doesn’t start jiving well with becoming a full-fledged Paladin.

Also important: Try for a dex-based build. I want to try making him into a character all about freedom of movement and agility, not wading into combat in armor. I think he may never end up wearing any armor at all, just not fitting for the character. I want to try for high very high Bluff for the character, and feats that interest me are Dodge and I want to work my way up to Prone Attack and some Mounted Combat (with hit and run still a priority) later on.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

uhm, i was unsure whether to thread this, so i guess i'll ask here: i'm a 3rd level bard (str 10, con 13, dex 14, int 14, wis 12, cha 16), and i'm wondering whether or not to multiclass to sorcerer or not next level, since our party lacks a blaster and i'm the only one competent enough to be one.

so, uhm, a character from level 3 to, say, 10, please?

books allowed: PHB, CAdv, and skill tricks from CS.

race: i'm a half-elf.

alignment: CG

house rules: the DM let me have burning hands as a first level spell, and i have a book from which i might learn new spells later on..

concept: he's a flashy, flamboyant type of guy, who likes fire, booze, women, and himself. his fighting style reflects that (using flashy, over the top manuevers, even if they're tactically horrible.)

other: he comes from a long line of fire-based casters, and i want to reflect that, somehow. also, our DM seems to have a thing for undead. i'm the only arcanist in the party, which contains me, a barbarian (going dragon shaman next level), a rogue, a cleric, and a druid. the cleric is little more than a healbox and the druid is really skimpy on spells.

some help would be nice. i'm slightly put off by the sorcerer's low skill/hit points, arcane spell failure chance (i like being alive!) and the fact that i'd have to wit to get my higher level spells. any suggestions, please? sorry if i did something wrong.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you are really asking two questions. What is needed is more information about your character's current build [i.e. Feats and Skill Points].

Going from Bard to Sorcerer is not a bad idea, except if you want to primarily be a Sorcerer, as you are already three levels behind. A Bard 3 / Sorcerer 1 is not the greatest fourth level character in the world, but you have to start somewhere.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

ah, i see. uhm, my feats are skill focus: perform (oratory), and eschew materials. my skill points i'm unsure of, since my DM holds onto our character sheets, but i have mostly ranks in social and dexterity skills, like sleight of hand, tumble bluff and diplomacy (which is at a +14, much to my DM's distaste..). sorry i can't be of more help. i'll get my sheet on monday, if it's that necessary. ^^;;

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias View Post
    uhm, i was unsure whether to thread this, so i guess i'll ask here: i'm a 3rd level bard (str 10, con 13, dex 14, int 14, wis 12, cha 16), and i'm wondering whether or not to multiclass to sorcerer or not next level, since our party lacks a blaster and i'm the only one competent enough to be one.

so, uhm, a character from level 3 to, say, 10, please?

books allowed: PHB, CAdv, and skill tricks from CS.

race: i'm a half-elf.

alignment: CG

house rules: the DM let me have burning hands as a first level spell, and i have a book from which i might learn new spells later on..

concept: he's a flashy, flamboyant type of guy, who likes fire, booze, women, and himself. his fighting style reflects that (using flashy, over the top manuevers, even if they're tactically horrible.)

other: he comes from a long line of fire-based casters, and i want to reflect that, somehow. also, our DM seems to have a thing for undead. i'm the only arcanist in the party, which contains me, a barbarian (going dragon shaman next level), a rogue, a cleric, and a druid. the cleric is little more than a healbox and the druid is really skimpy on spells.

some help would be nice. i'm slightly put off by the sorcerer's low skill/hit points, arcane spell failure chance (i like being alive!) and the fact that i'd have to wit to get my higher level spells. any suggestions, please? sorry if i did something wrong.
    Personally, I think that multi-classing between two spellcasting classes is a bad idea. If you want to be a blaster, you're best bet is to max out Use Magic Device and rely on items.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #316

Would someone please give me some pointers on a level 12 warlock build (no laadership feat s about the only houserule), like what races to use and which invocations to take etc?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    Personally, I think that multi-classing between two spellcasting classes is a bad idea. If you want to be a blaster, you're best bet is to max out Use Magic Device and rely on items.
    hm, i was thinking about that.. just wanted to get multiple different opinions from people, first, though.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm searching for a scout/rogue at lvl4 with progression to lvl 14

2. Books: Core + Complete series (Scoundrel included) +PHBII +Frostburn
    Race: Elf, Half elf or Human
    Ability Scores: 32 pointbuy
    Alignment: Any
    Concept: Good support damage dealer and skill monkey. Must be focussed in melee.
    Other: The only core classes that this character can have levels in are scout, rogue, ranger and fighter with an emphasis on the first two. Can go in no more than two PrCs.

19. - Top - End - #319

Hi everyone. Thank to keep up that topic, it's really usefull and it bring full of idea for new character.

There's mine :

Race: Lizardfolk
    Class: Fighter
    lvl(not ECL) : 6
    Books: any
    Ability Scores:43 points
    Alignment: Neutral-good, or something like that.
    Concept: If someone know the Lizardman of Warhammer Fantasy, they will see easily what i want. I want a aggresive lizardfolk, who rush in melee to figh. Sheild-bash oriented, medium armor, blud weapon (morningstar would be good, but if you know something that look like a morningstar and have higher dommage or critical, that would be perfect)
    Other: Based on melee and damage dealing.

Level by level progression please.
    Last edited by Thomix; 2007-01-30 at 12:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

I really like the Bladesinger class. The only problem is that it is incredibly weak. I am going to have my first chance to play one without messing up the party too much on Sunday and I was wondering if someone could help me set up a at least half-way decent build incorporating at least seven levels of Bladesinger. I rolled well on my ability scores: 14,17,13,18,11,12 so making a decent character with them should be pretty possible.

Now the resources available (where things get fun(and by fun I mean overly restricted)): Pretty much Core (Including pretty much everything in the SRD besides psionics), RoTW, Sandstorm, (both of those only allowed because of setting apparently, but I'm having a hard time picturing this setting) and CW (My group is a bit book poor and the DM isn't familiar with the other complete books we do have).

Races are pretty much going to be the ones in the PhB so either generic elf or half-elf.

Also apparently I use too many parenthesis. Oh well.
    Last edited by Dr. Weasel; 2007-02-01 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling

21. - Top - End - #321

This is probably not what you're looking for, but: Rogue 5/Assassin 5/Bladesinger 10 as the skeleton for a build. You finish with more melee capability than most rogues, and full assassin casting.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

can you make me one? plzs
    Race: half-elf
    Class: paladin of slaugher
    Ability Scores fixed.
    Alignment: Chaotic evil
    Concept:a cold blooded killer who lives for the slaugher
    Other: must have Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword,Mithral Full Plate of Speed

thanks!
    Last edited by paladinofvirus; 2007-02-04 at 10:33 PM.
    Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim gun, and they have not

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinofvirus View Post
    can you make me one? plzs
    Race: half-elf
    Class: paladin of slaugher
    Ability Scores fixed.
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Concept:a cold blooded killer who lives for the slaugher
    Other: must have Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword,Mithral Full Plate of Speed

thanks!
    Are you sure you have that right?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, build-meisters, here's a challenge: This is a classic fictional-type character that has been done to death in other venues. The character enters play as a violent Chaotic Evil warlord, and ends as a pacifist Lawful Good diplomat/paladin. However, the goal is to have a still playable D&D character at the end, despite the 'minimum violence' clause of the pacifist creed.

Rules: 3.5, only WotC publications. Standard point-buy stats. Classes, races, levels, etc. are all based off of the fluff. The class 'Paladin' is mentioned in the fluff, that does not restrict you to an actual paladin. Avoid epic-level stuff if possible, as I have a serious dislike for that ruleset.

Fluff: Parcifael Stalhk, known to his minions as Commander Steel, is an evil mercenary warlord-type. Has no interest in running his own feifdom, he just wants to command in battle because of the adrenaline rush or ordering all those lives around. In one battle, however, something horrible happens that causes him to have the D&D equivalent of a mental breakdown. Confused and lost (both physically and emotionally), he stumbles into a religious monastary which takes him in.

Years later, Brother Gray is a devout pacifist, and servant of a God of Healing (Not necessarily a true priest, could be a lay-brother type). However, events conspire against him and he takes up his old sword and armor to defend the monastary and surrounding village from an approaching warband, and a mercenary warlord that is almost a carbon-copy of his younger self.

His efforts, and his refusal to kill simply because it's expedient, causes the God to bless him, and Brother Gray is sent out into the world again to crusade for Good as a nonviolent Paladin. He now leans heavily on diplomacy rather than violence, but he is quite capable of defending the defenceless with the sword if there is no other choice.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Are you sure you have that right?
    oohhh.....
    Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim gun, and they have not

26. - Top - End - #326

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I was trying to remember a feat I had seen somewhere that i cannot find... its one that allows you to use your Int mod instead of our charisma mod for certain social skills... looking to get my bluff mod modified by int...
    \"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.\" -Lord Vishnu

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Here's a little project for the build-minded;
    I'm putting together an ALT character for a War-themed Gestalt campaign (ECL10), and am working on an effective build for a character themed off of Fearsome Stabbity Death.

The idea: This character is one steeped in violence and shadow, name of Jack Whisper. I'd like someone whom no one in their right mind would want to face toe-to-toe, with the capability of being in your fries before you even know what's coming.
    So far, ideas that seem promising are Ninja/Hexblade/Ghost-Faced Killer, or perhaps Fighter/Warlock/Ravager possibly with things like intimidating strike or similar feats. The idea is to be a horribly-demorilizing opponent to face on the battlefield, combining the worst traits of a "black knight" and Shinobi.

Crunchy Stuff:
    -ECL 10, almost any book allowed.
    -Almost any race, and LA is reduced by one to a minimum of +0. racial HD can take up a single side of Gestalt progression.
    -66,000 gp
    - 36-point buy
    - No alignment restrictions
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey guys, I've been away from D&D for quite some time, and I've just been introduced to 3.5, so my character building skills are rather rusty. I'd like some help putting together a fast and efficient combat-oriented holy warrior. For weapon, he'll be using a flail and a shield, and spells will be oriented more on combat buffs than on healing.

- I'd like a build up to level 15, pretty much any 3.5 book allowed (as long as you cite your source for the really obscure stuff)
    - Preferably human
    - Alignment: Probably LN

Classes and feats is where I need the most help. So far, the Warpriest and the Templar from Complete Adventurer have looked the most promising (and the ones that fit my character concept the best), but I'm not sure how well they stack up against other prestiege classes in the same vein.

Also, any favorite combat buff spells for this character type?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If someone could build me a 10th level battle-mage-esque character level-by-level, that would be wonderful

Class: Either a bladesinger or a warlock, whichever one is better, although I know they are both relatively under powered
    Race: if bladesinger, the best type of elf as it is required, if warlock, anything with no LA
    Books: Core, PHB II, Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Divine, Heroes of Horror, Tome of Magic, Unearthed Arcana, and Spell Compendium (suggestions for spells or invocations would be great)
    Ability Scores: Champion Array (18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8)
    Concept: merging blade and magic, not much to say here, I'd like to be versatile, maybe a skill monkey of some type
    Alignment: Something-evil, whatever suits the character
    Other: I'm not certain about what my other group members will be playing,
    but if I'm versatile I should work with anyone

Thanks in advance

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Request Withdrawn-
    Last edited by Ali; 2007-04-05 at 04:54 PM.