New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

1) I am not sure exactly what you mean by that statement, but here is what I think you are looking for.

For a starting Duskblade and every level he gains as a Duskblade, he can pick spells only from the Duskblade spell list. In order to get spells from other lists, he would have to take the feat Extra Spell. However, that feat has been the object of some serious debates. I allow people to use that feat to get spells from other lists, but many do not. With me, the spell has to be the right type, though. So, if you cast arcane spells, you can't use the feat to get a divine spell, and vice-versa. Also, if the spell is on your list, you can't use the feat to get it from another list. (That last eliminates people getting spells at much lower level then they should, becuase on another casters list it is of a lower level. Paladin, Assassin, and Ranger spells are the usual reason for that)

2) that is a typo. There is errata one place or another, can't find it at this moment, that states they are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. At least, I am 90% sure I have seen that errata...

Regardless of the errata, I am sure that you can allow him to be proficient in simple weapons as well, and not break the class.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default help

do you know of a good online vertul game

3. - Top - End - #753
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

No one has taken on my character idea? Bummer. Oh well, I will just use the one I have in mind, then.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Character Builder/Optimizer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    I have a question that may be integral to the thread:

Is this the place one should go if building a character after a well-known real-life/fiction character? For instance, if I wanted to play Frodo, would I go here?
    why is your avatar a brick wall?!?

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Character Builder/Optimizer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sumoalex View Post
    why is your avatar a brick wall?!?
    Is this a trick question, or did you not notice that his name is Brickwall?

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Which of the varieties of level progression are you asking for? -- From scratch to level 10
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    a. Books that can be used to build your character -- Just about anything as long as it stays within some of the general themes presented. Emphasis placed on Complete Scoundrel, and Complete Adventurer.
    b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits) -- Nothing that doesn't make any sense at all for all the other traits of the character.
    c. Class -- A few levels in ninja, rogue, or similar classes, with more levels invested in some variety of caster.
    d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method) -- 13, 17, 12, 12, 15, 13, applied in whatever fashion you wish.
    e. Alignment -- Anything non-lawful and non-evil.
    f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as free feat, etc.) -- None that should affect anything in a dire way.
    g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept? -- I want an acceptable balance between capability as an assassin/guerrilla warfare combatant, and spellcasting. His equipment should be practical, including an assortment of hidden spaces, surprise weapons, poisons, and a few magic items as well, though only as much as he can carry without serious impediment. The only two deities which I think would be appropriate for him to serve are Eilistraee or Odin. The weapons I favor are the kukri, hand-crossbow, collapsing crescent fan, and the kama, a blow gun might be a good choice too. The spells I favor for this character are either associated with illusion, shadow, moon, water, and air.
    h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)? -- Since undead monster classes were offered as possibilities for the start of the game, I can assume that their will be a large number of undead in the campaign.
    Last edited by Nonanonymous; 2007-12-16 at 07:01 PM.

My campaign setting to be; Tei Tenga.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Post Help with a DFA build

I need help with a DragonFire Adept build from 1st to above 20. We are about to start a new campaign that is going to be Dragon heavy from what they DM says. Mostly Roleplaying with some fighting. The party already has a Dragonborn Paladin (Behamut), Elven Ranger, and an Elven Sorceress.

We are allowed to take to flaws, I was thinking either Murky eyed, Noncombatant, or Shaky.( Murky eyed and shaky work best into my back story, but i like noncombatant mechanically) I want to be a Tibbit from Dragon Magazine Compendium, but the DM is still out on that one. If he says no to the fire breathing kitty, then I was thinking silver brow human but I'm open to suggestions. I've read thru the DFA guide(s) and haven't seen anything that fits perfectly (actually seen way to much that would be cool and cant decide) It looks like the party needs a sneaky (splash of rouge?) but I don't like the idea of the smoking bottle trick or the Ghost Wurm build very much plus I have lots of feats to play with and good scores; I'm sure that I could do something really cool with them but don't know enough about the class.

Its 45 straight point buy so can get killer scores. I was thinking:
    14 -2 with tibbit end with 12
    16 +2 with tibbit end up with 18
    again suggestions welcome.

No idea on feats, I know I want entangling breath and that's it.
    Breathe effect, up to you. DM ruled that I do keep fire breath in other forms, so if Tibbit fails, humanoid shape is cool, otherwise I'll skip it in favor for the cat form because he will probably let me change back and forth as a standard action.

I do want to do the trick with the daggers/enhancement stones, and dragon spirit cistern. Any other great item combos I should get or get instead?

Books allowed are PHB 1 &2, all the dragon books, all complete series, Magic items, arms and equipment, and anything else is by request, but I don’t want to push it to much.

So with that how do you optimize this build level by level up to or past 20?
    Is there something I’m missing or over looking?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Centor; 2007-12-18 at 11:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Hello all, I'm playing in a family game that includes 3 adults and 3 kids. My character is the fighter/party leader and I'd like to make him a gish that can maintain his role as the front-line charger. I've done a LOT of board-surfing and think I'm close to having him optimized (except mistakenly taking Dodge at 1st lvl):

Current stats: Human, NG, Ftr1 with: 18Str,16Dex,15Int,14Wis,14Con,10Chr
    Current Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge
    Fighting Style: Currently two-handed, willing to change
    Books allowed: Core, CW, CA, CD, CM, UA, ToB, Ebberon books
    Current party: No mage, adult cleric and rogue, young sorcerer, druid, and ranger.

Q1: What great front-line gish can I make from this fighter?

Q2: Here are two viable builds I've made, any suggestions?

Build 1: Charges, then casts from behind a guisarme
    F1 Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge
    W1 (Familiar: Weasel)
    W2 Combat Casting
    W3
    W4
    W5 Extend Spell, Combat Expertise
    W6
    Ss1
    AC1 Leap Attack
    AC2
    AC3
    AC4 Quicken Spell
    AC5
    EK1 Imp. Combat Expertise
    EK2 Persistent Spell
    EK3
    EK4
    EK5 Arcane Strike
    EK6
    EK7

Build 2: Delays magic for pouncing and tripping
    F1 Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge
    F2 Combat Expertise
    W1 Combat Casting (Familiar: Weasel)
    W2
    F3 Leap Attack
    Ss1 Improved Trip
    AC1
    AC2
    AC3 Craft M. Arms & Armor or Arcane Strike
    AC4
    AC5
    EK1 Extend Spell Imp. Combat Expertise
    Ss2 Quicken Spell
    Ss3
    EK2 Arcane Strike
    EK3
    EK4
    EK5 Persistent Spell
    EK6
    EK7

All feedback welcome, thanks!
    Last edited by Norm; 2007-12-19 at 04:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Q2: Here are two viable builds I've made, any suggestions?
    Just to hash the two of them together (and add a couple new elements):

Fighter 2/Combat Wizard (UA) 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 8

Feats:
    1:Cleave, Dodge, Power Attack
    2:Combat Expertise (Fighter Bonus)
    3:Combat Casting, Improved Trip (Wizard Bonus)
    6:Leap Attack (or Practiced Spellcaster [CAr])
    9:Arcane Strike
    12:Extend Spell
    13:Combat Reflexes
    15:Robilar's Gambit (PHB2)
    18:Persistant Spell

You could add an extra Wizard Level in the final Stretch of Eldritch Knight for a bonus feat (If you really want Improved Combat Expertise, for instance). At that point, the extra squishiness won't matter much.

Robilar's Gambit is included because you'll have the defensive abilities to use it without much of a loss (With AC AC and miss chances from spells, you should be fine).
    ----
    I'm also tempted to advocate the Swiftblade class. Fighter 1/Combat Wizard 5/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4 only nets in 8th level spells, but it loses those caster levels well. The main problem is low-level squishiness; you may have to revert to buffing and ray-slinging around levels 4-6.

For a Swiftblade build that would be fairly well suited to all levels of play:
    Fighter 2/Combat Wizard 4/Spellsword 1/Swiftblade 6/Abjurant Champion 3/Swiftblade 4
    Feats:
    1:Cleave, Dodge, Power Attack
    2:Combat Reflexes
    3:Combat Casting, Mobility
    6:Leap Attack
    9:Arcane Strike
    12:Improved Bull Rush
    15:Robilar's Gambit
    18:Shock Trooper (After all, there's only a 50% chance of hitting you before you get Greater Mirror Image or Abrupt Jaunt into the picture.
    Last edited by Wordmiser; 2007-12-20 at 01:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wordmiser, thanks for your help! Your build is much better than my build 2. Unfortunately, I mistakenly indicated I had Unearthed Arcana, but it was Complete Arcane. So it looks I'm missing UA, PHBII, and probably Spell Compendium to really make the best build.

Including Combat Wizard isn't available to me (yet), but it also seems a great fit with the F1/W5/Ss1/... progression. Do you still like Swiftblade in the F2/W4 build if Combat Wizard isn't available?

11. - Top - End - #761
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Asking for a Character (You may want to use the Sample below as a template for your request):
    1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    A blow-by-blow guide, taken to level 10 (although levels 1-3 are the really important bits for this, as that's what we'll be playing)
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    a. Books that can be used to build your character
    Core books, the Complete series, Faerun CS, Player's Guide to Faerun, Races of Faerun...I think that's it. If someone sends me a PM along the lines of "Can you use x?", it might jog my memory.
    b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits)
    Anything is acceptable as long as it's within LA+2 for this game, although I'd like to stay away from anything that isn't humanoid and native to Faerun. I'm slightly leaning towards halfling at the moment.
    c. Class
    Here's where I'm not quite sure. What I've been thinking of is a Punisher-type character--he's seen a lot of his friends get killed, and at this point, what's keeping him running is essentially determination to get back at his friends' killers. I was thinking it's entirely possible he's a Favored Soul for a deity of vengeance, or a smarter-than-your-average-bear Barbarian. Whatever the class may be, I'm looking for a character that's going to be viable in melee combat and comfortable with doing the dirty work.
    d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method)
    Classic D&D generation
    e. Alignment
    CG, LN, or CN were what I was thinking.
    f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as free feat, etc.)
    None that haven't already been mentioned.
    g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept?
    See Class.
    h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)?
    Forgotten Realms campaign setting, and the character's background has to be connected to a travelling merchant, for what it's worth. (Merchant is a happy-go-lucky moon elf.)
    If somebody could do this for me, I'd be really grateful.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norn
    Including Combat Wizard isn't available to me (yet), but it also seems a great fit with the F1/W5/Ss1/... progression. Do you still like Swiftblade in the F2/W4 build if Combat Wizard isn't available?
    It works fine with normal Wizard, possibly even better, depending on how much time is available for Scroll Scribing. I was just trying to open an extra feat with that, but you're the judge of what works and what doesn't. Just ditch the Shock Trooper/Improved Bull Rush in favor of Combat Reflexes and Quicken Spell (neglected originally because you can already cast Haste and low-level Abjurations as Swift actions, but it's a great feat regardless) and all should be well.
    Last edited by Wordmiser; 2007-12-20 at 07:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could help me build a character for a game my DM will be running soon. I've got a build(below) that I thought up, but I'd really like to see your takes on it. It goes up to 20th, but since the campaign will start at Lv 1 or 2, I'd prefer a level by level, with the early levels still capable.

1. Character from scratch, preferably level by level.
    2. Books: Core, PHII, all Completes, ToB
    Race: Human, Dwarf, Elf
    Concept: Skilled fighter with a predilection for magic who will take a beating and not flinch. As he grows more powerful, he becomes a Jade Phoenix Adept (more for crunch than fluff, since I don't think the classes fluff exists in the DM's world). I went Duskblade to give him combat and magic capabilities right off, but he can start as either pure martial, or caster.

I haven't come up with any spell list. Obviously Touch spells are good. Is the spell list in the PHII the only one for Duskblades, or is there an expanded one elsewhere?

As for skills, with this build, I'd go with Concentration, and various Knowledges, depending on Int.

Those last two feats are also up in the air. Possibly Armor Focus/Spec? Shield Focus/Spec? I don't know how the DM will rule Extra Spell, but that's an option. Maybe more Martial Studies or Stances?

Oh, and perhaps the biggest question: Would Warblade be a better choice than Crusader?

Well, lemme know what you think, if you have any suggestions, or other builds that carry the same concept!
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2007-12-21 at 04:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Dwarf in the Playground

I haven't come up with any spell list. Obviously Touch spells are good. Is the spell list in the PHII the only one for Duskblades, or is there an expanded one elsewhere?
    It's the only spell list I know of, but Dragon Magic expanded a number of Non-Core classes' spell lists. If you have it, that might be worth checking.

As for skills, with this build, I'd go with Concentration, and various Knowledges, depending on Int.

Those last two feats are also up in the air. Possibly Armor Focus/Spec? Shield Focus/Spec? I don't know how the DM will rule Extra Spell, but that's an option. Maybe more Martial Studies or Stances?
    Knowledge Devotion is the only feat of which I actually approve. If you're using a Two-Handed Weapon (and you should), it's a free action to take your hand off for spellcasting. This removes the need for Eschew Materials and Somatic Weaponry.

I would try to sneak five levels of Abjurant Champion in (one in place of Duskblade 5, four after JPM 2), then ditch Practiced Spellcaster (unless you plan on going into Epic levels).

Extra Granted Maneuvers is okay, but every Maneuver from JPM is going to be "granted" anyway. It just doesn't seem worth a feat.

For replacements, Power Attack is a necessity for any melee-er.

Arcane Strike is great and it does not cost a Swift Action to use. It also stacks with the JPM ability, I believe.

Versatile Spellcaster is good for Duskblades because of their large quantities of low-level spells.

You probably could benefit from Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Martial Stance--Thicket of Blades, and Robilar's Gambit as well, if you're trying to fill a Tank Role.

Oh, and perhaps the biggest question: Would Warblade be a better choice than Crusader?
    Probably not; you'd be stuck spending all your Maneuvers on entry-level prerequisite-free techniques, even if there is a bit of Intelligence synergy there.

Well, lemme know what you think, if you have any suggestions, or other builds that carry the same concept!
    I would tweak the build along the lines of Duskblade 4/Crusader 1/Abjurant Champion 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 2/Abjurant Champion 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 8. Abjurant Champion 5 raises your CL to your Base Attack, which removes the need for Practiced Spellcaster.

Also, if you want a more powerful build, focus on Devoted Spirit rather than Desert Wind. Desert Wind is the weakest of the disciplines and it introduces extra MAD to your build (Wisdom and Charisma were the only stats which didn't do much for you). Also, it does very little that your spells can not. Devoted Spirit is top-knotch and it meshes well with the Crusader entrance level.

Also, I don't think that Martial Study feat is legal at first level (you have an initiator level of 0).

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the only spell list I know of, but Dragon Magic expanded a number of Non-Core classes' spell lists. If you have it, that might be worth checking.
    I've seen other builds or guides with a much bigger list than the original, so I'm assuming there's one somewhere. I'll look around.

Knowledge Devotion is the only feat of which I actually approve. If you're using a Two-Handed Weapon (and you should), it's a free action to take your hand off for spellcasting. This removes the need for Eschew Materials and Somatic Weaponry...
    Good to know. My group isn't too picky with materials anyways, so that should work.

Only reason the Martial Study is in there is to meet the prereq for Fire Riposte. Easy enough to lose.

You probably could benefit from Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Martial Stance--Thicket of Blades, and Robilar's Gambit as well, if you're trying to fill a Tank Role.
    The reason I stayed away from these types was because our group doesn't use a mat, and AoOs are pretty rare. I wouldn't have much trouble trying take advantage of AoO, but I'm not sure the group would thank me for it. I'll look into it.

The Abjurant Champion looks really nice. The only problem I see is that (with current spell list) Duskblade doesn't really get any spells to take advantage of AC's abilities. For this action, I'm guessing a couple shots of Extra Spell would be needed. Are there any other feats that grant access to spells?

Thanks for the help!

16. - Top - End - #766
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glawackus View Post
    Here's where I'm not quite sure. What I've been thinking of is a Punisher-type character--he's seen a lot of his friends get killed, and at this point, what's keeping him running is essentially determination to get back at his friends' killers. I was thinking it's entirely possible he's a Favored Soul for a deity of vengeance, or a smarter-than-your-average-bear Barbarian. Whatever the class may be, I'm looking for a character that's going to be viable in melee combat and comfortable with doing the dirty work.

If somebody could do this for me, I'd be really grateful.
    Being a bit of a comic book geek, this is what I mainly noticed from your request. I don't have a full build yet, but I think Punisher is most likely a Ranger with a couple variants.
    First, Urban Ranger, obviously, since he'd be hunting his friends' killers in a city rather than the forest I assume
    Then the no-spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior; won't matter much at low levels and you'd have to change the fluff a bit for punisher, mainly changing the names of nature's blessing (adrenaline rush) and healing touch (field medicine), but it's got decent stuff and obviously punisher isn't a caster
    Then finally the opposite of this barbarian variant for some good killing rage, though I'd ask to keep one Favored Enemy[group that killed your friends] as per urban range

This ends up being more towards the smarter than the average barbarian/street smart barbarian (6+Int skill points) option since favored soul of the spirit of vengeance sounded more like Ghost Rider. If any or all of what I've said sounds like it'd work for your character, I can start work on a build.

EDIT: obviously, you can drop the barbarian variant if you don't like rage and want the combat form feats
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2007-12-23 at 02:11 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello there, I was wondering if someone could help me out.
    I have to build a particular character, and I was wondering if you could help me make him more powerful. I was thinking of a swashbuckler (i've already written down his swashbuckling background), but then i thought i should put a couple of rogue levels in, so that i can have the 'Daring Outlaw' feat (Complete Scoundrel) and use the extra sneak attack dmg while flanking. I want him to dish out as much damage as one can do.
    He's gonna be the secondary warrior, maybe also the brains of the party.

BUT what other feats should he have? And what about equipment?
    Oh, and finally, how many lvls of rogue and how many lvls of swashbuckler, how should i divide them?
    I don't want him made from scratch, just tell me how many levels of rogue and swashbuckler you would put, what feats he should have and what items you are suggesting. Thank you!!!

So, it goes like this;

Level; 10
    Class; Rogue / Swashbuckler
    Race; Human
    Ability Scores;
    STR 14
    DEX 20
    CON 14
    INT 18
    WIS 12
    CHA 10
    Gold; 40000 gold pieces.
    Books; Core (v.3.5), all the Complete series.
    Exquizite avatars by Thecrimsonmage, Caracol, Threeshades, Abardam, Lu Yan, Z-Axis, Sneak, Dr.Bath and CrimsonAngel!
    Thank you so much for all your help!!!

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by Nazde Bahatur View Post
    Hello there, I was wondering if someone could help me out.
    I have to build a particular character, and I was wondering if you could help me make him more powerful. I was thinking of a swashbuckler (i've already written down his swashbuckling background), but then i thought i should put a couple of rogue levels in, so that i can have the 'Daring Outlaw' feat (Complete Scoundrel) and use the extra sneak attack dmg while flanking. I want him to dish out as much damage as one can do.
    He's gonna be the secondary warrior, maybe also the brains of the party.

BUT what other feats should he have? And what about equipment?
    Oh, and finally, how many lvls of rogue and how many lvls of swashbuckler, how should i divide them?
    I don't want him made from scratch, just tell me how many levels of rogue and swashbuckler you would put, what feats he should have and what items you are suggesting. Thank you!!!

So, it goes like this;

Level; 10
    Class; Rogue / Swashbuckler
    Race; Human
    Ability Scores;
    STR 14
    DEX 20
    CON 14
    INT 18
    WIS 12
    CHA 10
    Gold; 40000 gold pieces.
    Books; Core (v.3.5), all the Complete series.
    Initial reaction is Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Sneak Attack Prestige Class 5, maybe invisible blade or the original 10-level version of that that's out there on the internet somewhere; take Daring Outlaw at 6; you'll have 6d6 sneak attack and +1 swashbuckler dodge; there are probably better options, but that one should be ok
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nazde Bahatur
    BUT what other feats should he have?
    If you want to make the most use of Insightful Strike and Sneak Attack, Two Weapon Fighting and Improved Two Weapon Fighting are necessary.
    That leaves two feats to play with... Improved Toughness, Improved Initiative and Quick Reconnoiter (CAd) are all just good in general.
    A lot of the Complete Scoundrel feats are just generally fun options even if they aren't the most optimal (Yes, I'm having trouble thinking of anything you'd need with this character).
    Quickdraw/Flick of the Wrist (CW) might be useful. I think CWarrior actually has rules that make it superfluous, though.
    Combat Expertise/Improved Disarm might be handy... maybe.
    And what about equipment?
    Dex-Boosters, probably a few wands of various low-level effects (CLW, Mirror Image, Haste), either Energy (Flaming/Frost/Shocking) or Viscious weapon enhancements and some mode of flight.
    Depending on your focus, Rogue X/Swashbuckler 3 is better skill-wise, Rogue 3/Swashbuckler X is a better melee-ist.
    Last edited by Wordmiser; 2007-12-25 at 01:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #770

HalflingRangerGuy

My favorite Rogue PRC is the nightsong enforcer because it has full BAB.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Halfling in the Playground

wink Re: Character Builder Thread

I want to make a spellcaster who specializes in ray spells. I have a lot of rays, I just need the feats, and some general questions answered.

The character should go from 1-20, all books allowed except for Psionics, Incarnum, and campaign settings such as Eberron or Faerun.

In short:
    Q.1. Could you please build me a 20th level arcane caster?
    Books: I can use any book, except for Tome of Magic, Psionics, campaign settings, or Incarnum
    Race: Any with a level adjustment of +3 or less
    Class: No requirements. Sorcerer might do better because the character uses rays a lot.
    Ability Scores: 32 point buy
    Alignment: Any
    House Rules: No psionics, Incarnum, Tome of Magic, or campaign settings.
    Concept: I want a quickdraw, gunslinging spellhurler who's really good with rays.
    Other: Need good feat suggestions, rays, equipment etc. Need suggestions to bypass pesky problems like SR

Current strategy is to cast an Empowered, Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement, and use other methods to get strength down to zero. I also need suggestions to reduce stats such as intelligence, charisma and wisdom against spellcasters.

Question! If I casted a Split Ray of Enfeeblement, targetting the same enemy, do the effects stack? Normally, it wouldn't because it's a penalty from 2 of the same source, but does Split Ray make it into one spell, or effectively into 2?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Natural20; 2007-12-26 at 08:23 PM.

D&D is all about that 5%. Everything else is just filler.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Natural20 View Post
    Other: Need good feat suggestions, rays, equipment etc. Need suggestions to bypass pesky problems like SR

Current strategy is to cast an Empowered, Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement, and use other methods to get strength down to zero. I also need suggestions to reduce stats such as intelligence, charisma and wisdom against spellcasters.

Question! If I casted a Split Ray of Enfeeblement, targetting the same enemy, do the effects stack? Normally, it wouldn't because it's a penalty from 2 of the same source, but does Split Ray make it into one spell, or effectively into 2?
    For Sr, pack the spell assay resistance(Comp Arcane, gives bonus to defeat SR), and the feat Arcane Mastery(Comp Arcane, take 10 on caster level checks). For equipment, get a Rod of Magical Precision, which gives you the same bonuses as precise shot(but you don't qualify for feats, or have to waste feats to get it), and a minor /day effect.

Towards your questions, they don't stack as it is a penalty from the same source. If 500 wizards target the same creature with rays of enfeeblement, only the strongest penalty effects the creature. Of course, if it did ability damage, like touch of idiocy, that would be a different story.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    If someone could build me a 10th level battle-mage-esque character level-by-level, that would be wonderful

Class: Either a bladesinger or a warlock, whichever one is better, although I know they are both relatively under powered
    Race: if bladesinger, the best type of elf as it is required, if warlock, anything with no LA
    Books: Core, PHB II, Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Divine, Heroes of Horror, Tome of Magic, Unearthed Arcana, and Spell Compendium (suggestions for spells or invocations would be great)
    Ability Scores: Champion Array (18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8)
    Concept: merging blade and magic, not much to say here, I'd like to be versatile, maybe a skill monkey of some type
    Alignment: Something-evil, whatever suits the character
    Other: I'm not certain about what my other group members will be playing,
    but if I'm versatile I should work with anyone

Thanks in advance
    Here's a simple one for you Dwarven Fighter 4/ Warmage 6/ Eldritch Knight 10.
    Is it min/maxed to the extreme? No, but it gets the job done. You're BAB will be better than a cleric's and you'll have more hp and more damaging spells. Take battle caster, practiced spellcaster as feats, first lets you ignore arcane spell failure chance in heavy armor, other makes you cast as a lvl 20 caster. The rest you can fill in I'm sure!

24. - Top - End - #774
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, I've seen this board up here all stickied, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Asking for a Character
    - From scratch, but Level by Level would be helpful, as I don't know where we are starting or ending.
    2.a. Books that can be used to build your character
    - All Completes, all Core, a lot of 3.0 ... actually, any book that is 3.x
    2.b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits)
    - The playable races are from my homebrewed world. There is a link in my signature with all playable races. Also allowable is Kenku.
    - I would rather not be a small-sized race
    - Dwarves no longer exist in that game world
    2.c. Class
    - Barbarian/X, PHBII Berserker variant
    - See 2.g., Concept
    2.d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method)
    - they were randomly rolled, and in no particular order
    - 17, 11, 9, 17, 14, 17
    - P.S. These good rolls are why I wanted to do this particular class combo
    2.e. Alignment
    - Looking at Chaotic Good
    2.f. House Rules:
    - I am working on a homebrewed feat on the Homebrew boards for a way to up my level for the Berserker hitpoint activation level. Other than that, nothing in the way of house-rules.
    2.g. Concept:
    - I am looking for a Gish-Berserker, weilding a Great Sword and doing crazy things. I was looking at Beguiler, Bard, and Sorcerer. Not a Warlock. Open to other options.
    2.h. Other:
    - We have a very varied group, and this DM is kind of new. Shoot for a light, Order of the Sticks kind of feel. The world is predominately based on 3 types of people, Humans, Fey, and Anthropomorphics. The idea I heard being tossed around was everyone is hired on to help a magic shop owner to add to his inventory. Characters and roleplaying always drive our group, and combat is a must. I am big into options, and do not enjoy one-trick-ponies.

Figured this was worth a shot. Thanks in advance, folks.
    Races of Thordain

The Complete Face - A Complete book that makes dumpstating Charisma a thing of the past. FEATURING THE NEW BASE CLASS, THE CHARLATAN!

GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig (for any forums you frequent) and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

25. - Top - End - #775

HalflingRangerGuy

Is there a Full BAB monk PRC with no feat prerequisites?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Requesting a Level by Level (up to 20) build of a Ghostwise Halfling wizard

- FR setting
    - either no specializing, or divination spec with evocation prohibited
    - delving into Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Loremaster and Archmage are good, but open to other ideas/PrCs
    - All books (though knowing which book a PrC comes from is necessary)
    - Neutral/Good/Lawful alignment tendancies

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Checking legality/accuracy here because of books being out of reach. Also accepting build suggestions.

The concept was a TWF combatant with Wounding weapons and as many attacks as possible. Originally it was envisioned as a Xeph Ranger 9/Exotic Weapon Master 2, with Boots of Speed, the Xeph Celerity feat, and a silly sword stick (ok, two bladed sword, but it's still silly).

Then Tome of Battle came out. Over the last three years the closest I've been to a true melee character was a Psychic Warrior, it's time for a change. Allowable books and resources are Core, SRD, XPH, all Completes, Tome of Battle, Races of Stone, Ebberon, PH2, Spell and Magic Item Compendiums.

Much of the reason I'm posting here for a check is that we have one copy of ToB, and it's off at th GM's house this week. So I've made the character mostly from my notes and online resources (that WotC maneuvers download is pure gold for this sort of thing).

Character as it stands now is

Xeph Warblade 10
    Stats: s10 d20 c14 i14 w12 c11
    Feats: Weapon Finesse, Xeph Celerity, Martial Study (Cloak of Deception), Two Weapon Fighting, Shadow Blade and one open feat/bonus feat likely to be either Weapon Focus (Shortsword) or the extra xeph bursts from Complete Psi. Future feat direction is looking like weapon specialization and melee weapon mastery, but it's open to discussion.

The maneuvers are where I need the most help, since I don't have access to the book until Sunday. I'm cool on how many I get, how to use them, how to recover them and all. What I'm least sure of is the level spread of the maneuvers, how many of which levels the character can legally have.

Stances: Pearl of Black Doubt (diamond 3), Absolute Steel (iron 3), Hearing the Air (diamond 5).

Maneuvers: Perfect Mind (diamond 1), Sudden Leap (tiger 1), Emerald Razor (diamond 2), Wall of Blades (iron 2), Mithril Tornado (iron 4), Pouncing Charge (tiger 5), and Dancing Mongoose (tiger 5). I'm heavily leaning towards Perfect Mind and Action Before Thought as possible replacements, hard choices.

Current magic selection: Gloves of Dexterity +2, Mithril Chain Shirt +3, Boots of Speed, two +1 Keen Short Swords, Ring of Protection +2, Amulet of Nat AC +2. The character can't buy +3 weapons by our WBL limits until at least 12th level, and Keen is pretty darned tootin' for this guy anyways.

Skill wise I'm leaning heavily towards Concentration, Jump, and I don't know what else yet. Some cross class skilling into Autohypnosis is absolutely going to happen, at least to a minimum of a +5 total.

Is it legit so far? Any suggestions?

28. - Top - End - #778
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok
    Is it legit so far?
    'Fraid not. You need to have a Shadow Hand stance to use Shadow Blade.

Also, your Stances don't work. You need to take the Stance immediately, meaning that every time you build a ToB character, you need to build all the way up from level 1 (you're allowed to keep maneuvers once you no longer meet their requirements, so it helps to have a table set up tracking when, exactly, you adopt which Strikes and Boosts--otherwise they'll be lost between all your even-leveled maneuver substitutions).

Are multiclass experience penalties in place? If they are, you'll have a hard time finding a damage source. If they aren't, I would recommend that you take two Fighter levels between Warblade 3 and Warblade 4. Use them to pick up Two Weapon Fighting and Martial Study (Something from Shadow Hand). As it is, you have four real feat slots in which you're trying to pick up six: Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Martial Study, Martial Stance and Shadow Blade. If you want Xeph Celerity, you're just stretching the problem further.

So what I would do would be something along the lines of this:
    1:Swordsage 1:Adaptive Style--Level 1 Shadow Hand stance of choice
    2:Fighter 1:Weapon Finesse
    3:Fighter 2:Two Weapon Fighting, Shadow Blade
    4:Swordsage 2--Blood in the Water stance
    5:Swordsage 3
    6:Fighter 3:Xeph Celerity
    7:Fighter 4:Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    8:Bloodclaw Master 1
    9:Bloodclaw Master 2:Martial Stance--Assassin's Stance
    10:Bloodclaw Master 3
    (11:Swordsage 4)

Each Fighter level will count as half of an Initiator level, so you'll only be pulling the build together at level 11, but I dare say that even this would be better all-around than the Warblade plan at level 10.

And I would switch the Short Swords with Kukris so that you can use Blood in the Water effectively when you aren't able to set up a flank for Assassin's Stance.
    Last edited by Wordmiser; 2008-01-10 at 09:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Wordmiser, that's what I needed.

So I need a shadow maneuver from a feat for a shadow stance from a feat to get to the Shadow Blade feat. I think, my notes aren't anywhere near perfect. I was pretty sure my stances would need work, and level by level is how I like to build but it's hard without the book.

The multiclass penalties are in place, and Xeph Celerity is the whole reason for being xeph (ok the darkvision is a huge bonus too). While I like swordsages too I'm unwilling to accept one as a melee combatant in our game. Middle range hit points and attack bonus don't cut it in this game unless you can jack your touch AC to the 25+ range, touch attack often, and/or have serious magic power. We have an absolutely level playing field, everything the players can use the GM can and will use. Most of our opponents are humanoid races with class levels, in a couple levels we will likely start seeing evil clerics with Righteous Might, Strength and Destruction domains, Harm spells, and divine metamagic. We have a good player with a solid rogue build using a spellstoring rapier with Combust (CL 10) in it, he's doing great bloody chunks of damage but often taking them too. We play rough, dirty, and if you aren't smart you're dead. One player keeps a backup character ready and leveled at all times, another is required to tithe 25% of his loot share to the cleric for diamond dust. All the casters have 16+ Con scores, one prioritized Con over his casting attribute.

Looks like I'll keep playing my druid for another week or two while I work on this.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Pixie in the Playground

Please suggest a class for a gestalt campaign. - good for throwing massive spells. Want to use Wizard on the half side.

a. Books that can be used to build your character
    Core books+ one supplement book. No psionic. No Tome of Battle.

b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits)
    Core races and subraces. Not a exotic one. No LA.

c. Class
    Wizard/Factotum, Wizard/Duskblade or Wizard/whatever good for throwing many spells at a round.
    I'm thinking about Wizard(Focused Transmuter) 5/Incantatrix 10/Master Specialist 5//Factotum 19/Marshal 1.

d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method)
    32 points.

e. Alignment
    Whichever.

f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as free feat, etc.)

No magic items on purchase so my party should craft magic items.
    Wizard must specialize.
    Non-core feats and spells will be researched by expending XPs.
    Players can gather XPs with intrigue and diplomacy.

g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept?

I prefer wizard to sorcerer and beguiler.
    Largely a supporting scholar with battlefield control abilities. But I want to throw blasting spells (like disintegrate) to my BBEG at a same time.(or shapechange into dragon all the time.)

h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)?

Setting is largely wilderness.
    The DM is threatening to use hard encounters.(Powerful monsters, hard wilderness environments, and powerful magic items if players survive.)
    My gestalt 1lv grey elf Factotum/Wizard died last night.
    Last edited by loranthis; 2008-01-12 at 05:31 AM.