New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Most inherently sexy fantasy race?

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I like green skin
    I see no green skin there.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I see no green skin there.
    It's more of a "I like Orcs" but I can never find a good pic of one

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Except when one considers their "dream guy" or "dream girl", it's typically a static ideal. When your dream person is specifically a shapeshifter, you've dreamt up the opposite of the typical static image.
    Yeah except not every single member of a race will be a perfect ideal, because there will be variation and differences. For most people at least half of a race would be the wrong gender. Except for shapeshifters since they can all appear as whatever you find most attractive. It isn't necessarily the shifting; it could just be "the whatever I find best."
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJoker
    I see the point was missed.
    That was the point.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

@*.*.*.*:
    Maybe I am colour blind , but she doesn't look green at all to me. More of a charcoal grey, a literal Cinderella.
    QFT
    I'd rather be a changeling than be with one.
    Indeed, it sounds like a lot of fun to be able to change your body like that.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-16 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Occurred to me I didn't actually make a pick: it's ye olde Elves; basically Humans except they're perfect.

Love then so much.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Eh, this probably isn't the intention, but the shape shifter response strike me as more then a little selfish, not to mention misogynistic and misandrist. I mean seriously, you want someone who is an almost literal blank sheet, someone to project your desires, your needs, your wants and yours alone.
    Creepy.
    I don't find it creepy or selfish at all. At least, it's no more selfish than wanting to be with someone attractive in the first place. The fact that a shapeshifter can change what WAYS they're attractive in is only a benefit on top of being attracted to someone else in the first place.

Intelligent creatures crave variety more often than not. We crave it in pretty much every area of our life. You could eat a multi-vitamin and a chicken breast with a glass of ice water for every meal and be perfectly healthy. But you don't. You want an orange. A stack of pancakes. A slice of cheesecake. A t-bone.
    You job could be picking up a box and dumping it onto an assembly line. Once a minute. For eight hours a day. Five days a week. You would not find the job fulfilling, and would dread going in to work after a few weeks, let alone after decades.
    Everything you need to be a functional person could be kept in one small, undecorated room. But you want a dining room, a living room, a bedroom...

Intelligent creatures need to be stimulated.

Of course we tend toward monogamy, but that's not out of disinterest in variety. We don't want to be hurt, diseased, rejected or any number of things that might go wrong with finding new partners. Then add in our natural jealousy over what (and who) we consider 'ours' and we also have to weigh in not wanting to hurt the person we've picked to couple off with.
    But even in a monogamous couple, we still find ways to introduce variety in our sex lives. New hairstyles and outfits, new locations, new... behaviors...

If I could change my body at will (under the assumption that it's not exceedingly painful or difficult) I would take full advantage of it. Regularly. And I wouldn't be offended if my partner made requests. In fact I'd be downright confused if they DIDN'T. Even if I didn't fully understand WHY they wanted me to be a winged elf in the morning and a blue-skinned cat-faced freak at night, There still wouldn't be any harm in indulging them.

Mind you it'd make it more complicated to find someone I was sure liked me for who I was. But honestly? Wouldn't "Shapeshifter" be a PART of who I was? I've been attracted to people based on the virtue of them having strong shoulders and nice hair. Wouldn't it be hypocritical to get upset if someone was attracted to me being able to change my race or height or whatever?

I was also going to say that the shapeshifting thing seems like more of a male fantasy, but that's obviously not true. There's a world of difference in what makes Johnny Depp attractive and what makes Clive Owen attractive.
    But if they were both the same PERSON just at different times, well...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I wish I was a changeling, or at least had an easily reversible Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity.
    I know completely what you're talking about.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Probably a Doppelganger. On top of the whole "look like whatever in bed," thing, the mindreading and adoption of personas would make for a lot of interesting conversation and...other things. Of course, in this scenario, I'm a Changeling who wants to understand the nature of shapeshifting better, and is traveling with a Doppelganger lover, and it's me and my lover/mentor against the world.

Yeah, sex and romance in the fluffy sense sort of go together in my head.

EDIT: Also, SilverClawShift said a lot of things I agree with.

SECOND EDIT: Honestly, the struck part was sort of not the point, and my inner character writer got the best of me. Mostly, the idea of treating bodies as outfits would just be really cool and fun, and the Power Perversion Potential is just an aspect thereof. So, nix the amateur romance-novelistry. Point is, I think that being part of a shapeshifter/shapeshifter couple would be great.
    Last edited by zvbxrpl; 2011-01-16 at 02:57 PM.
    Groucho avatar by Crimmy.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Changeling is nice. Changeling/Changeling coupling would be great too.

10. - Top - End - #130

RangerGuy

Drow

.... What?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I never said it was a male exclusive thing, SilverClawShift. Woman can be sexist too. But asking someone to change, for you, to fit your ideal of physical perfection, still strikes me as selfish and shallow.
    Edit: Doppleganger?
    Palm: Apply Directly to the Forehead.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-16 at 02:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

And I strongly disagree.

13. - Top - End - #133

RedSorcererGirl

Eh, this probably isn't the intention, but the shape shifter response strike me as more then a little selfish, not to mention misogynistic and misandrist. I mean seriously, you want someone who is an almost literal blank sheet, someone to project your desires, your needs, your wants and yours alone.
    Creepy.
    I think you overstate things a tad too strongly, but to an extent I can kind of agree.

That's why I'm limiting myself to non shapeshifting races, that one has to take as they are.

So yeah, winged elves...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I never said it was a male exclusive thing, SilverClawShift. Woman can be sexist too. But asking someone to change, for you, to fit your ideal of physical perfection, still strikes me as selfish and shallow.
    Edit: Doppleganger?
    Palm: Apply Directly to the Forehead.
    But hey, OppositeSexClone

15. - Top - End - #135
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    It's more of a "I like Orcs" but I can never find a good pic of one
    That's no orc. That's a nubian supermodel with bad teeth. (Yahtzee said it better than I could.)

Or maybe you just want variety

I can understand the shapeshifter answer being lazy, but "selfish and shallow" is unnecessarily judgmental.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-01-16 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    A Changeling couple would be mental; neither has a real form, both are just shifting to comply with their partners wishes.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    And I strongly disagree.
    And that's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina
    But hey, OppositeSexClone
    I would rather be my own opposite sex clone, 2xMachina.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-16 at 02:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: This is a response to Raven's Cry

That sort of depends on what you mean by 'change.' I mean, I'm coming from a perspective where the idea behind shapeshifting is putting on a number of different outfits, only those outfits are made of meat, rather than clothes. The idea isn't to violate/alter that person's identity, just to have them dress up in something new and sexy.
    Last edited by zvbxrpl; 2011-01-16 at 02:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    A Changeling couple would be mental; neither has a real form, both are just shifting to comply with their partners wishes.
    Or whatever they want to be at the moment.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

with further thought... i believe i shall change my previous response of changelings, in favor of the Golem line of monsters. Why Golems? they can be made of whatever you want and made in whatever shape you want. Almost to an even further extent than shapeshifters themselves. although this does fall heavily under personal preference...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I think the thing that makes shapeshifting a little "off" in these discussions is this:

If you're attracted to winged elves or the like, then the partner you're imagining has the body of a winged elf. Fantasy winged elf babe will always be a winged elf. This says nothing about her desires, motivations, etc.

However, those who say they're attracted to shapeshifters because they can duplicate things like winged elves are making the assumption that the shapeshifter will take these forms. This means that the partner being imagined not only has specific physical/magical characteristics, but also specific psychological characteristics, namely the desire to replicate that person's fantasies. So if you fantasize a shapeshifter that looks like whatever you want whenever you want, you're imagining a very very submissive being.

Now of course there are independent reasons to like shapeshifters, and SilverClawShift described several. Variety, curiosity, worldliness, willingness to experiment, flexibility, these are all advantages a shapeshifting partner brings to the table. But simply being whatever you fancy at the moment is not the hallmark of a shapeshifter, it's the hallmark of a very very submissive shapeshifter.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

I can understand the shapeshifter answer being lazy, but "selfish and shallow" is unnecessarily judgmental.
    Maybe it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by zvbxrpl
    That sort of depends on what you mean by 'change.' I mean, I'm coming from a perspective where the idea behind shapeshifting is putting on a number of different outfits, only those outfits are made of meat, rather than clothes. The idea isn't to violate/alter that person's identity, just to have them dress up in something new and sexy.
    That's fine, but that's not the vibe I was getting. I was getting a more. "I want a changeling because they can look like what I want." kind of feel from the responses. People haven't said much about the possibility of the changeling shifting to different looks on their own accord, to their own whims and tastes, like trying new looks or dying your hair.

23. - Top - End - #143

i forget what they're called, they're some sort of shapeshifter, trained for sex. They cost close to a million gold.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Maybe it is.

That's fine, but that's not the vibe I was getting. I was getting a more. "I want a changeling because they can look like what I want." kind of feel from the responses. People haven't said much about the possibility of the changeling shifting to different looks on their own accord, to their own whims and tastes, like trying new looks or dying your hair.
    I think it's pretty nice if they choose something.
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2011-01-16 at 02:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's pretty nice if they choose something.
    Wonderful, how very touching. Then you read something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00
    i forget what they're called, they're some sort of shapeshifter, trained for sex. They cost close to a million gold.
    Yeah . . .
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-01-16 at 03:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    This means that the partner being imagined not only has specific physical/magical characteristics, but also specific psychological characteristics, namely the desire to replicate that person's fantasies.
    If someone isn't interested in helping me fulfill my fantasies, I have no interest in helping fulfill that persons fantasies.
    Consequently, I have zero interest in being with that person.

Anything you describe as an ideal is an ideal operating under the idea that they would want to have sex with you for whatever reason in the first place. I would (to put it bluntly) be incredibly attracted to an eight foot tall wolfman (even if that was their only physical form). If it WAS their only physical form, it stands to reason they'd be more interested in nice-smelling wolfgirls.
    But I'm operating under the assumption that Mr. Bigclaws here is 100% interested in pouncing across the room and ravishing me. If you're not interested in a partner who likes you and is interested in pleasing you in whatever way they're good at, then the point of them being 'sexy' is kind of lost.

*edit*

For the same reason, I balk at the idea that being attracted to a submissive partner is inherently selfish or flawed.
    Even if every other factor was perfect, I would have zero interest in a male who wasn't interested in aggressively insisting I do what pleased him. It's a quirk of the personality to be sure, but we ALL have our own quirks.

It's no more selfish to want a shapeshifter as a partner than it is to want a partner who will bring you a bowl of soup when you're not feeling well, or who will rub your back if you've been exerting yourself all day.
    Last edited by SilverClawShift; 2011-01-16 at 03:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

The posibilities are endless.
    This tempts me to create an entire community of changelings who believe gender is only a needless cause of discrimination between people and raise their children to only assume androgynous forms. Certainly would be strange for all visitors.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-01-16 at 03:06 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree that that is sort of creepy and shallow. I mean, then they're just sort of an intelligent sex toy. I'm such a hopeless romantic that of course I assume that sex fantasies incorporate falling in love and cute relationshippy moments because that's what goes on in my head, and so I think that affected what I thought needed to be stated vs. unstated. Of course the shapeshifter partner would have wants, needs, and opinions, and wouldn't just take any form because I say so. Hell, I'd imagine we'd spend more time looking like what we ourselves thought looked good than anything else.

EDIT: Oh man, that shapeshifting sex-bot post by RandomHero is exactly what I don't want. If I didn't want anything but a transaction, I'd just find some dirty pictures and go solo. Probably wouldn't even have to pay, considering that the internet exists.
    Last edited by zvbxrpl; 2011-01-16 at 03:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I'll admit both of mine were natural shapeshifters, although ones with very limited shape-shifting. I will also admit that while the idea that they could make themselves look perfect for me is nice, it isn't crucial. Actually ghaeles might not be able to assume more than one human form RAW, and dragons while I'm fairly sure they can by the rules can't in my own mind.

Is it selfish to want that?

Is it selfish to have a preferred hair-style and let your significant other know?

Now forcing them to assume a form they didn't want to. That's selfish. The real question is just what shapeshifting means to the other. As we're talking sexy here, the sexiest thing is a shapeshifter that sees its shape as something as casual as clothing. And really if you had some clothing that you knew it would make your significant other happy for you to wear would you really have any qualms about it?

That said forcing a shapeshifter to remain permanently in one form would be horribly selfish. Forcing them to only have sex in one form would be selfish.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Creepy.
    It could also swing the other way, though. Think of the ones who just change shape on a whim to express themselves, or even to troll you on occasion. It can still be sexy. I think the attraction is more to the mercurial element itself than the ability to match your other various fancies.

Besides, Star Trek already made the race you're talking about.

EDIT: Egad, I must have forgotten to read the last page. Hopefully I didn't repeat too much.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2011-01-16 at 03:18 PM.