New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Twelve

Here is a link to the Wiki.

It is okay teen fiction, but it handles the transgender character very, very well, in my opinion.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Twelve

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, that. Wouldn't exactly call that embracing manliness.
    To be fair I have't actually watched any further than the first movie. ^_^'

I was just assuming this Jacob fellow looked like how the confusing ones try to look, namely as MANLY as a group of sily freshmen can.

I will have to agree that that is not very much, though.

Hmm, now I'm confused and intrigued. Would you please explain this?
    Explain why I base my view on appearance on a webcomic?

Can I pledge insanity?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    So, has anyone here read Poison Study by Maria v. Snyder?

I feel really stupid for not earlier realizing that Ambrose is transgender.
    Yeah. And don't worry, flew right by me, too. Also, I totally ship Ari and Janco. I don't know if she intended them to be a couple or not but they're adorable.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*Poof, Un-dissapears*

Hey guys Happy Valentines Day/Singles Awareness Day.

I've been really busy with work and school and playing Disney Epic Mickey. I had to wake up at four to go to work and then rushed out to go to class and not pay attention.

On the bright side I got a white chocolate heart shaped lollipop from a co worker. It's currently not heart shaped anymore because it melted in my pocket. But still, I expect it to be delicious.

Question!
    Spoiler
    Show
    So does any other gay person here have an issue making friends with other gay people, or is that just me?

Let me explain: I find with a lot of gay guys I meet, I have a hard time getting along with them because they aren't just gay, being gay defines who they are. I swear that it's like dealing with highschool girls. You know the catty ones that if you don't like the music they like, the clothes they like, the whatever they like you are a loser. They have no appreciation for any music that isn't lady gaga (not that I have anything against her, I really do like her music), any POPULAR female artist, or anything that isn't dance club music. Reading is out of the question and the only movies they like are anything sex in the city-ish, or movies of the book. Intelligent conversation? Right out of the question, geez why do you have to be so controversial?! They don't even understand sarcasm unless I make it blatantly obvious that I'm being sarcastic.

Now, I've met gay guys that AREN'T like this, but they are few and far inbetween. The reason this bothers me is because the dorms I live in is FULL of guys like this (like a good 40% of the guys or more, no exageration) Honestly I'd rather hang out with the 30-40 year old adults than with the 18-twenty soemthings.

In other news, yesterday I was flirting with a guy I thought was 28-ish(a bit older than me but still in the acceptable range) then I found out he was 39!!! Cue me feeling akward.

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Exciting (sort of. Not really) revelation!

Lioness has a crush on one of the nightfillers at work

She's got short hair, and she's short, and she's really pretty.
    I get flustered when she walks past, especially if I'm on the PA...

And I've got absolutely NO idea how to approach her/talk to her/not make an idiot of myself.

Help!

EDIT:...whoops. That probably should've gone in RW&A. But it's sort of LGBT, in that I have no idea whether she's straight or not...
    Usually, it seems to me the best policy is just to ask. Although, it is probably a better approach to engage her in normal conversation first and if there happens to be a point where you can ask about her preference then do so. You could just ask if she wants to hang out after work sometime, maybe ask her if she wants to grab a coffee or go see a movie with you and then you just talk to her and get to know her better. I usually try to broach the topic by talking about someone famous and just offhandedly asking if they think the person in question is cute. If the answer is a little unusual then it may be a good way to make a polite inquiry as to their gender preference (or lack thereof).
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 22Charisma View Post
    Question!
    Spoiler
    Show
    So does any other gay person here have an issue making friends with other gay people, or is that just me?

Let me explain: I find with a lot of gay guys I meet, I have a hard time getting along with them because they aren't just gay, being gay defines who they are. I swear that it's like dealing with highschool girls. You know the catty ones that if you don't like the music they like, the clothes they like, the whatever they like you are a loser. They have no appreciation for any music that isn't lady gaga (not that I have anything against her, I really do like her music), any POPULAR female artist, or anything that isn't dance club music. Reading is out of the question and the only movies they like are anything sex in the city-ish, or movies of the book. Intelligent conversation? Right out of the question, geez why do you have to be so controversial?! They don't even understand sarcasm unless I make it blatantly obvious that I'm being sarcastic.

Now, I've met gay guys that AREN'T like this, but they are few and far inbetween. The reason this bothers me is because the dorms I live in is FULL of guys like this (like a good 40% of the guys or more, no exageration) Honestly I'd rather hang out with the 30-40 year old adults than with the 18-twenty soemthings.
    Ug, all the time. I have no gay friends... it's a bit dissapointing. Every gay person I've met is either like that or super-effemenite (which I have no problem with! It's just not a trait I look for in friends be they male or female). I think people are making their sexual identity a bigger deal than it really is. Of course, I really don't have a right to say that, but that's how I see it.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Exciting (sort of. Not really) revelation!

Lioness has a crush on one of the nightfillers at work

She's got short hair, and she's short, and she's really pretty.
    I get flustered when she walks past, especially if I'm on the PA...

And I've got absolutely NO idea how to approach her/talk to her/not make an idiot of myself.

Help!

EDIT:...whoops. That probably should've gone in RW&A. But it's sort of LGBT, in that I have no idea whether she's straight or not...
    What's a night filler?

Try to talk to her about your ex-boyfriend. If she gives indication that she has/had boyfriends in the past... well, I suppose she could be bisexual. Rats.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did anybody watch the Valentine's episode of Community. The way Brita was acting is sooooo true to life about hipsters wanting gay friends to be trendy and REBELS at the same time.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

You mean you're not?

I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE!!!!

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    What's a night filler?

Try to talk to her about your ex-boyfriend. If she gives indication that she has/had boyfriends in the past... well, I suppose she could be bisexual. Rats.
    Aaaand... that one gives the impression that you're not interested. Trust me, I'm too familiar with it's pitfalls.

Recommendation: Straight up ask her.

Edit: You could always use the ultimate excuse date question: Wanna go for coffee? It's clearly a date question, but at the same time leaves wiggle room if there's an overly negative reaction. (E.G. I just wanted to hang out with someone/really wanted to grab a coffee).
    Last edited by golentan; 2011-02-14 at 01:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

She should ask Loopy - he's the one who all the chicks are fainting for.

― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #342
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: And is Australian, too. But I'm not quite sure if his seduction techniques would apply to finding out if seduction techniques are cleared in the rules of engagement.

What's a night filler?
    I would also like to know what that is, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

She should ask Loopy - he's the one who all the chicks are fainting for.
    I thought that was nameless?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

I think both of them... but Loopy is in Australia so he knows the local culture better.

― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

I think both of them... but Loopy is in Australia so he knows the local culture better.
    Ah, okay. That makes sense.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Aaaand... that one gives the impression that you're not interested. Trust me, I'm too familiar with it's pitfalls.
    Hump her leg?

You may be able to guess why I'm single.

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Hump her leg?

You... have trouble expressing your feelings strongly enough?

Alternatively, they're keeping you in solitary for humping the warden's legs?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hump her leg?

Just look at her out of the corner of your eye?

You may think you are able to guess why I'm single.

But you'd be wrong, so nyah!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    Ug, all the time. I have no gay friends... it's a bit dissapointing. Every gay person I've met is either like that or super-effemenite (which I have no problem with! It's just not a trait I look for in friends be they male or female). I think people are making their sexual identity a bigger deal than it really is. Of course, I really don't have a right to say that, but that's how I see it.
    You don't need the right to say it, you just need the mouth to. I think that one of my biggest problems with them is that, sure, these guys are all "Gay rights! Hoo-ha-ha!" But 1) They're only in on it because it's part of their gay identity, not because they actually care. 2) Honestly if your attitude is I'm gay so I need to like this and this and this, then how does that send the message: We deserve equal rights? 3) They're not out to their families! To their friends and the people at school they're super fabulous but at home they act like they're the straightest thing since a frat boys*, and then they get mad if someone accidentally outs them. I might not be the gayest or the straightest guy in the world, but I'm the same in front of everyone. Family, friends, co-workers or whatever.

Over all it's just incredibly frustrating since they're the ones who separate themselves from the world around them and then whine about how they're not accepted as people.

* The frat boy irony is intentional. I mean come on, we all know that hyper masculinity just gives off a gay vibe too

20. - Top - End - #350

Nightfiller=person who fills up supermarket shelves at night after the store closes.

So grabbing a coffee wouldn't work too well, as she doesn't usually finish work until 11pm-midnight.

I might go for actually having a conversation with her first. I've never talked to her. I get too nervous.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    Yeah. And don't worry, flew right by me, too. Also, I totally ship Ari and Janco. I don't know if she intended them to be a couple or not but they're adorable.
    Good to know.

Also, I agree totally on Ari and Janco. So much.

I am kind of disappointed that she hasn't written any more for that series. The setting was really cool, and I would love to see some coverage of different places and stuff.

You don't need the right to say it, you just need the mouth to. I think that one of my biggest problems with them is that, sure, these guys are all "Gay rights! Hoo-ha-ha!" But 1) They're only in on it because it's part of their gay identity, not because they actually care. 2) Honestly if your attitude is I'm gay so I need to like this and this and this, then how does that send the message: We deserve equal rights? 3) They're not out to their families! To their friends and the people at school they're super fabulous but at home they act like they're the straightest thing since a frat boys*, and then they get mad if someone accidentally outs them. I might not be the gayest or the straightest guy in the world, but I'm the same in front of everyone. Family, friends, co-workers or whatever.
    I think it depends. I tend to be like a chameleon, like Alaska Young (John Green reference FTW), so I unconsciously try to adhere to stereotypes made about me by others. So, to the friends I am out to, I tend to act more effeminate. When I am at home? Less so. But I don't really actively fight for gay rights, so I guess that part of your post isn't really about me.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-02-14 at 05:03 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

I sometimes worry if I fit the stereotypes because I fit them, or because I subconsciously think I should.

I self-analyse too much. Stupid armchair psychology.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sometimes I wonder if I don't fit the stereotype simply because I'm afraid of conforming.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Am I glad I know nothing about stereotypes related to my prefferences.

Granted, I'm probably one of the few people in the country that's ever heard of it (I'm pretty sure it was coined by a TvTroper in a Troper Tale so...) ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmmm, yes, stereotypes. I'm always slightly surprised when I catch myself conforming to one (well, except for my love of musicals - that I make no apologies for), but don't mind it so much. I'm fairly confident that I have enough of a personality to make up for any cliches I exhibit.
    Avatar by Derjuin. It's awesome.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I think it depends. I tend to be like a chameleon, like Alaska Young (John Green reference FTW), so I unconsciously try to adhere to stereotypes made about me by others. So, to the friends I am out to, I tend to act more effeminate. When I am at home? Less so. But I don't really actively fight for gay rights, so I guess that part of your post isn't really about me.
    Or it should serve as all the more warning to beware. It's bad enough the way society forces us to amass a collection of masks to get through our days or even to properly emote half the time by falling back onto a type rather than our true feelings, every little bit that you can resist being shoved into the box by others, the better.

I sometimes worry if I fit the stereotypes because I fit them, or because I subconsciously think I should.

Well, you've got a data set of an entire Playground to analyze since you made yourself their darling.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-14 at 06:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you've got a data set of an entire Playground to analyze since you made yourself their darling.
    I'm still amazed at how popular I've become. Even internet assets cause a will save vs domination...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #358

I'll analyse for you! ...if you know what I mean.

Okay, on a completely different note, I'm going back to China later this month, and it'll be a wonderful opportunity to get guys' clothing, if I can find any that'll fit over my hips. Oh, how I could go on about how I love/hate my hips.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Over all it's just incredibly frustrating since they're the ones who separate themselves from the world around them and then whine about how they're not accepted as people.

* The frat boy irony is intentional. I mean come on, we all know that hyper masculinity just gives off a gay vibe too
    Don't get me wrong, people like this drive me crazy too, but what does being out to "Everyone" vs. only some people have to do with anything?

In my case, being out hinders me professionally, unfortunately. Also, my family is made up of crazy pentecostal fundamentalist Christians (like, speaking in tongues). No offense to anyone else that is, but I don't really want to share that part of my life with them if it means that our being together has to stop or always be extremely painful. I don't see why it matters who you decide to trust with this personal information.

Seriously though, people that have a "gay" personality because they found out they are gay and didn't have a personality to begin with, man that's just kinda sad.

-And yes I'd be super pissed if someone outed me to the wrong person. It's happened to me several times to people I didn't really mind knowing but it still bothered me, but if it was to my immediate family or my private teachers it would be a catastrophe.
    Last edited by Alanzeign; 2011-02-14 at 07:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    I'll analyse for you! ...if you know what I mean.

Okay, on a completely different note, I'm going back to China later this month, and it'll be a wonderful opportunity to get guys' clothing, if I can find any that'll fit over my hips. Oh, how I could go on about how I love/hate my hips.
    Guy clothes are supposed to do what now? O_O

I have been wearing my clothes on a lie!

On a more serious note, do they actually make guy pants that fit any9one not wearing them below their knees?

By this rate it'd be easier for me to wear girl pants in a few years.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.