New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth (IC)

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Perth (IC)

Beriadan raises an eyebrow in response to Sulet's creepy smile. "Right... let's get going." Then, he spotted Vanalya's weapon. Wait a second. They both have the same kind of walking stick? Just... focus on the ghouls. It's a coincidence. Focus on the ghouls.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fine by me" Evin straightens from where he is leaning, ready to follow the others. But first, he nears Alexander. "Glad to be of assistance" he says with a mocking bow. The full, high-society kind of bow, the one you do bringing the back of your hand to your forehead and the other behind your back. I'd better begin setting some boundaries with this one. A laughter will bury you, my friend. Evin thinks, smirking.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

Alexander watches Evin's performance with an expression of the utmost indifference, then turns back towards the rest of the group without any acknowledgement, "I am ready. Let's go," he says and moves to the door to hold it open for everyone, although judging from the glare he treats everyone with, the act seems to be born out of a desire for efficiency rather than politeness.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

As you're leaving, Grosh yells out, "best of luck!" Jensin casts a disinterested glare as you pass by her desk. The party exits the guild, agreeing to collect their respective supplies before meeting at Elun's shop in the market in two hours.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-02-13 at 02:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya heads home. If she was going to be out overnight, if not longer, Idris would need to know that, and she should probably start a stew for their dinner, and lay out portions for their next meals. Idris did have talent, in his own understated way. Mostly involving hitting things and kinesthetic learning. Theory never worked on him. Cooking didn't happen to be one of those talents, and not burning soup seemed to be on the upper reaches of what he could do at the moment.

All she had to do now was persuade him to actually stay around, and not pick fights with people twice his size who didn't catch measles when they were small children.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

After receiving directions to Elun's shop(either by being told or shown), Alexander quietly slips away back to the Pit. He takes a winding, confusing route out of habit, but also because he has enough time to befuddle any possible followers. Finally he makes it to a tiny, rundown house that is so unattractive that most people walk by it without ever registering its existence. It's only interesting feature is a large, sturdy lock on the front door, its steel sheen dulled by the grime of the city, but still obviously newer than the house it guards. Casting another look around him to see if anyone is paying him undue attention, Alexander produces a large iron key and opens the lock with a deep click. He opens the door and is satisfied to hear a bell tingle further in the house. He slips inside and checks on the twine that connects the inside handle of the door to a small bell hanging above a ragged cot in the furthest corner of the single-room home. Alexander would never allow anyone to catch him in his sleep.

The inside is spartan at best. There is the cot, then there is a rickety chair and an old table littered with various notes on possible criminal activity. None of them were important to his work. Important things were not kept in such plain view. Some tools are scattered about the place. A shovel, sledge and crowbar lean against a corner, a bucket of water stands in another. A rope with a grappling hook hangs from a hook on one wall beside a heavy cloak and coat. He makes his way to the table and crawls beneath it. His practiced fingers find a loose board in the floor and he lifts it away to reveal a small storage space. Dusting a few spiders off the tanglefoot bag and moving the thunderstone out of the way, he retrieves a flask of clear water. The priest who had given him the holy water had told him it would be useful against the undead. He would find out for sure in a few hours.

He replaces the floorboard and extricates himself from under the table, placing the flask inside his belt pouch. After some consideration, he removes his sap and manacles from his belt and places them on the table. I'm not arresting anyone today. he thinks with a twitch of his mouth, before exiting the house and locking the door securely behind him. He still has some time to spare, so he looks up a couple of his contacts to see if they have any information on the gravedigging, ghoul activity or the halfling kid who was stabbed last week.

Spoiler
    Show
    So gathering information takes 1d4 hours. Alex has about one hour to work with before he has to show up at Elun's so if I don't get a 1, he'll give it up after one hour and meet up with the others at the set time.

Hours needed: (1d4)[3]
    Diplomacy check to gather information: (1d20+10)[28]
    Follow Up: (1d20+10)[18]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nicholas follows Elun through the city to his shop. He finds himself uncomfortable in the crowds even after 2 weeks, being used to the seclusion and peace that comes with the lifestyle of a monk in training. Nicholas had spent many a day in the wilderness with Oscar, meditating by a steam or on top of a large hill, and did not encounter a single person. Now they were everywhere and the young man found himself trying to pay attention to all that was going on around him. All it really did was make him walk into another person, which earned a laugh from him at his own expense. He made sure to check his pocket afterword and notice the other person doing the same.

Eventually he found a balance between keeping aware of his surroundings and keeping aware of where he was walking. Instead of listening to everything around him he set his mind to look for anything dangerous or suspicious, basically letting his subconscious filter through anything meaningless and trusting it to give him a heads up when something important was gleamed.

Spoiler
    Show

Want to make a perception check to see if I see anything suspicious as we move through Perth and a sense motive for to see if any suspicious activity I notice is dangerous.

Perception Check: (1d20+10)[24]
    Sense Motive check: (1d20+10)[13]
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-14 at 03:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Beriadan gathers his things from the unused storage closet where he had been sleeping. He had been meaning to find more permanent housing, but it hasn't been his top priority, especially not at the moment. He dusts off the assortment of 'adventuring gear' he bought on his first day in the guild - he'd used none of it - and dumps it all in his pack, just in case. The high orc dons his polished breastplate, sheaths the family sword, and makes his way to Elun's shop in the west quarter.
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

@Alexander
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Since you don't have the full time, I won't give you what that roll would normally have, but I throw you a little something.

On your way to Elun's you encounter a dirty vagrant, presumably a drug addict, digging around in a pile of junk between two houses in the Pit. You recognize her as she has given you some info once before for a couple copper coins. So you press her. Since there is utterly no risk to herself and she doesn't enjoy your generally intimidating tactics, she tells you everything she knows about the only thing she knows anything about: the halfling who was killed.

She tells you that he was the son of some rich noble and was stabbed to death by the Second Sons. They are some violent gang in the slums. She claims to know nothing about why he was stabbed, why he was in the slums, graves, ghouls or anything else on the subject of the halfling. As you are about to leave, she begs you for some coins in exchange for helping you out. You throw her two coppers. She seems a bit disappointed with the amount because you hear her mutter something about "being cheap" as you leave.

@Nicholas
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice nothing out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-02-14 at 07:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Evin heads to the Three Cups first, to warn Hagos that he may be out for business for a while and not to plan any performance for him. Hagos has the annoying habit to announce that Evin is going to play in advance, to attract more customers, even those performances that Evin would prefer not to advertise. Evin can't help but think that someday he'll find some guardsman out to arrest him mingled inside the crowd. Why no, officer, you misunderstood he can hear himself saying The old whore that sells herself for a copper is not a metaphor of justice in this town. What do you mean I say so in the song? You must have misheard me.. He shakes his head and laughs at the direction his thought have taken.

While he's at it, he asks the dwarf if he knows anything about the ghouls or the young murdered noble. Not that he puts much hope in it, since he is usually the source of information for Hagos, but hey. He is a tavern owner, after all.

After this, he leaves and heads for Elun's shop.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-02-15 at 12:54 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

Alexander ignores the vagrant's mutterings. Those two coppers would get her a loaf of bread, which is likely a feast compared to what she normally eats. Having done what he could, he starts off towards Elun's shop. Always suspicious, he keeps his eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary on his way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20+7)[17]
    Sense Motive Check: (1d20+8)[25]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Sulet leaves the building, with directions in mind. Walking down one of the major streets, he splits off onto a smaller one, then a smaller one, and then into an alleyway. Hooking his 'walking stick' into a loop on his belt, he climbs his way up a building, hooking himself with one leg onto the roof, then swinging the other on. Once he stands on it, he begins his walk. Moving from rooftop to rooftop at a brisk place, he makes his way to the Inn he stays in.

Saying a quick 'Afternoon!' to the Innkeeper, he makes his way upstairs, into his room. He empties the chest that lays at the foot of his bed of a few supplies, and then leaves, shouting another quick 'Afternoon!'. Climbing his way back onto the rooftops, he makes his way to that one guy's shop. Elun's? Yeah, Elun's. New co-workers seem nice enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on both Climb Checks. I'm assuming I have enough time.
    Also assuming I have enough time to be careful to not fall down between buildings, stepping to buildings that are close by.

Picking up Backpack, one set of marbles, crowbar, rope and a grappling hook. Won't put me over my weight limit, thankfully.
    Just finding my roots again.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

@Evin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hagos heard of the boy getting stabbed, but he doesn't know anything else.

@Alexander
    Spoiler
    Show
    He notes nothing suspicious.

@Sulet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, he had to get off the roof to cross the river... but that doesn't really matter. Taking twenty is fine.

After about two hours, the party reconvenes at Elun's shop in the Market. The small establishment sits nicely off one of the major streets. It is an ideal meeting location because it is both close to the graveyard and easy to locate. Thoughts of ghouls racing through their minds, the loosely allied group purchases whatever antiplague and antitoxin powders they desire from Elun before heading toward the graveyard to make it there well before sunset.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The small shop, normally cozy, is positively cramped with all the people there. There are a couple display cases, mostly used for decorative objects as his product is rather boring to look at. There is a book on the counter that lists what he can make, what their effects are, and how much they cost. The place is brightly lit through the large front windows, and a faint smell lingers in the air, one of chemicals, herbs, and, somewhat out of place, incense, though the last is faint. Alright, who wants what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Nicholas admires the collection of products for what it took to create them rather then any decorations they might have. At best he could only guess the amount of effort went into making them.

"Its quite a shop you have here Elun. I think I'll purchase one anti-plauge myself. Its about all I can afford anyway."

Nicholas offers the coin and takes the potion, putting it in one of his pockets for quick access.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Beriadan's smile left him right before he entered Elun's shop. Oh, wait a second. He searched his coin pouch, and only then realized he was short on coin. He approached Elun and sheepishly asked, "Do you mind if I take a vial of antiplague on loan? I'm a bit short on money at the moment, but we'll all be flush soon enough."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll take an antitoxin and an antiplague." Evin has got plenty of money: the last exhibitions payed well.
    He considers Beriadan for a second. If Elun doesn't want to loan him the vial, he'll lend him the money himself. Huge orc with a big blade? You want him healthy and capable to fight.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds reasonable enough, just try and avoid making a habit of it, Elun jokes, making himself a note, Beriadan, wasn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya pushes herself deeper into the corner; the shop was fine when there were only a couple people in here, but this was more than a couple, and their conversations were making her eyes hurt a bit. It wasn't like she needed any antitoxin or antiplague. She had bought some last week, and hadn't used any yet.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"It is. I can't say I look forward to the prospect of having to use this, but I'm glad I'll have all of you by my side."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

"I'll take one antiplague on loan as well," Alexander says to Elun, with a hint of reluctance. He didn't enjoy being indebted to anyone, least of all someone he had only met two hours ago. "If you please," he adds coolly, remembering his manners, "It's Alexander, by the way."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With all of their desired possessions in tow, the party decides to travel to the graveyard. The approach to the southern gate of Perth is always dizzying in the daytime. Passing through the huge open-air market itself takes forever, so unless they want to purchase something, locals know to take the way around. Still, the sheer flux of traders and customers from both directions slows the traverse considerably.

After the party finally breaks free of the city wall and heads on the road south, the scenery changes drastically. Bustling store fronts, dirty transients, gray stone and tight corners are replaced by rolling hills, scattered farmers, verdant fields and vast horizons. The air is much fresher and everything is quieter, as if trapping the stale air of the city and the boisterous din of the Market were the main functions of the city's wall. Moods are contemplative, anxious or even a bit fearful as the party traverses the beaten path toward Grimnedeln. Passing only a few odd travelers, the trip is relatively uneventful. It is almost a mile through the farmlands and a sheep pasture before they encounter the dark wooden signpost indicating the turn off toward Astor's Rest, the town's southernmost cemetery.

A short hike along the dusty trail grants you entrance to the gated cemetery. The gates mostly serve to keep out grazing animals, as anyone with the slightest effort could easily hop the short wooden fence. The cemetery itself is huge. There are many plots, a single shed and a few mausoleums scattered across the grounds. A fair distance away, a single figure is standing in a hole about two feet deep, digging. Nearby him, there rest several other large holes with huge piles of dirt behind them.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya had been carefully keeping close to the others; not so close enough to breach what they would likely consider personal space, but certainly close enough to keep her from being lost in the fields in the clouds that blocked most of her vision and the words that distorted what little of it she had. She knew she would not be able to find her way back if she was separated from the others; one terrifying night in Old Perth had taught her that much. The air was nice. Different. The grass was visible, down to a certain level.

The scenery was supposed to be different as well, but she felt just as enclosed as she always did. "Is Max there, or has he left?" she asks, glaring futiley at the sketches that had drawn themselves on the clouds, wishing that they would clear.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The quiet and the fresh air reminded Beriadan of his leisurely ventures into the country along with his mother and sister as a child. The farmland outside Perth had always seemed warm and welcoming - a second home. It helped that his father literally owned a second house here, but Beriadan didn't like to think about his father. He preferred to think about the ghouls; that they would roam free here was an insult he would not bear. Beriadan's reverie was interrupted by Vanalya as the group approached the graveyard. "I think that's him up ahead." Beriadan points. "Well, I hope that's him." He walks over to the man digging the plot and hails him. "Sir, we're the adventurers sent from Perth about your, um, corpse problem."

25. - Top - End - #85

Despite the reasons for it, Nicholas enjoys the hike to the cemetery. The fresh air, the peace and quiet. These were things he was used to. Still, even after all those years away, Nicholas also loved the hustle and bustle fo the city. That he wasn't used to it now didn't change his love of the crowd.

When they finally reached the cemetery Nicholas sees along with the rest the sole man digging a grave in a series of unfilled graves. Vanalya's question raises some questions in Nicholas' mind but as he did with Elun he keeps them to himself. "Yes, off in the distance. He is currently adding another grave in a series of graves. Might want to be careful as we near not to fall into any of them."

As Beriadan walks forth Nicholas follows, galncing once at Vanalya as they move. She seemed to walk fine without aid. Perhaps it was only distant sights that troubled her. Questions unanswered Nicholas studies the man before them, the one he believes to be Max Alaran. Beriadan speaks first so Nicholas decides to simply watch.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[26] Perception Watching how the man reacts as we near physically.
    (1d20+10)[22] Sense Motive As he talks Nicholas is going to listen closely.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-16 at 09:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Evin throws a thoughtful look at Vanalya. He already had the suspicion that her sight was not the best, and this seemed to confirm it. Odd choice becoming an adventurer if that's the case he thinks, his curiosity piqued. It's possible that there is an interesting tale in there somewhere, but that's not the moment to ask. Since Nicholas already answered her, and Beriadann has already addressed the man, he says nothing, but instead steps to the front of the group, to take a good look at the digger, waiting for his answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception - (1d20+6)[17]
    and I'll throw in a sense motive as well, for future use (1d20+6)[25]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The man does not seem to notice the party's presence until Beriadan shouts to him. He pounds the shovel into the dirt, and then turns to face them. He reveals himself to be a fairly aged half-silver elf with gray hair and clear blue eyes. His hands are dirty and beads of sweat have formed on his forehead. He is wearing rags, yet carries them with an air of dignity. "Ah, good!" he softly cheers as he looks across the party. "Those are the holes there," he points successively to the other six large holes. "This one is new though," he adds as he moves to sit on the edge of the small pit he has made.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"My name is Evin. Glad to meet you" Evin addresses the gravedigger a smile, thr kind designed to break the ice and put people in the mood to talk "Are those the tombs that have been dug up? We were told there were seven of them."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Macseris," he replies wiping the sweat off his brow with his hand. The act leaves a streak of mud on his forehead. "That's right, these six graves have been dug up. This area is where the new bodies go. The seventh you are referring to is in the Goodbarrel plot." He points off to the north where, a good stretch away, there is a stout iron fence.

@Evin & Nicholas
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man seems calm and tired. As far as you can tell he is not lying to you.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-02-17 at 01:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

Alexander quietly follows Macseris's reactions and movements with narrowed eyes, then lets his gaze move over the open graves, looking for anything suspicious.

"During the night," he asks carefully of the gravedigger, "Who and where is the closest person to the graveyard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check(especially to see if the open graves look like they have been dug up neatly or roughly): (1d20+7)[21]
    Sense Motive check on Max: (1d20+8)[14]
    Also, because I forgot to do so in town, Knowledge(local) check to see if I know anything about the Second Sons: (1d20+9)[15]