New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Fleshforge Legacy Mk. II [3.5 Campaign Setting, PEACH!]

Awesome stuff, just read through the races and each entry had me making a character in my head. They're reflavored very well so as to give each one interesting options in both gameplay and roleplaying.
    I only have one question: When is someone gonna run this thing?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like this setting, but I've noted that a lot of folks will try to kitchen-sink their settings' race and class selection - like with the lengths you've gone to in order to include shifters, changelings, and warforged. Is there any particular reason for this trend, or am I going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by The_Charlatan View Post
    Awesome stuff, just read through the races and each entry had me making a character in my head. They're reflavored very well so as to give each one interesting options in both gameplay and roleplaying.
    I only have one question: When is someone gonna run this thing?
    I'm glad you're liking what's up so far! I can't help you in terms of somebody running one of these in D&D, but a friend of mine has a little RP forum pretty much set up. Once I have the races all finished, I'll post all the info over there and things will get started. Freeform RP in the world of Tryor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I like this setting, but I've noted that a lot of folks will try to kitchen-sink their settings' race and class selection - like with the lengths you've gone to in order to include shifters, changelings, and warforged. Is there any particular reason for this trend, or am I going crazy?
    I'm glad you like it too. I dunno if I would call it a 'kitchen sink' thing. I don't feel I'm going to great lengths to include all these races. I like providing options to the player, and if I can provide options while simultaneously adding layers of depth to the setting as a whole, then why not do so?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Are the Chimerans an official race, or is one you intend to homebrew?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Are the Chimerans an official race, or is one you intend to homebrew?
    It's one I intend to homebrew. I'm not entirely sure how to express it mechanically, to be honest, but chimerans are a race of humanoids with random features, like scales, or bizzare skin or hair colors. The race breeds interestingly, as well, because the child of two chimerans is a chimeran, but his racial features are likely to be completely different from his parents. The fluff is sorta like mongrelfolk and sorta like spellwarped.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

So, raptorans are delayed until I figure out exactly how many avian races I want to put in the setting.

So far, the guaranteed variants will consist of a raptor-like warrior class, a working class, and an island-dwelling variant, a race of hedonistic parrotfolk (though, there may be some birds of paradise involved in there). There are other ideas milling about, such as a western race based on terror birds, a big, hulking, soaring race based on the roc, a maneuverable eastern species based on hummingbirds, penguinfolk (emperor and new zealand breeds), owlfolk, swanfolk, sparrowfolk.... As you can see, the list needs a little trimming.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Alright, raptorans are done! I'm rather proud of them. Now, I think I'm pretty much settled into three more avian races. Hedonistic parrotfolk, hulking garuda, and I'm going to refluff my Tawaki to fit this setting.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Papago, a race of parrotfolk, are done!

I'm currently trying to brainstorm minor mutations for the chimerans, so anyone who has any ideas would be welcome. Here's what I have so far. The chimerans will be able to pick two or three major mutations off a list. I'm aiming for an LA +1 kinda balance.

Here's the ideas I have so far:

Thick Skin, Scales, Fur: +2 Natural armor
    1d4 claws
    1d6 bite
    1d4 tentacle
    1d6 slam
    1d6 tail/1d4 Tail, +2 balance, jump, swim
    Chameleon Skin: +4 hide
    Sticky Feet: +4 climb
    Double-jointed legs: +10 ft. speed.
    Weak Wings, Skin Flaps: glide
    Slippery Skin: +4 escape artist
    Fearsome Visage: +4 Intimidate
    Keen Ears: +4 Listen
    Keen Eyes: +4 Spot
    Poison: 1d4 strength or dex damage. Applies to all natural weapons.
    Acid Spit: 30 ft. ranged touch attack deals 1d6 acid damage/2 HD as a standard action.
    Big Nose: Scent
    Red Eyes: Darkvision 60
    Shiny Skin: Spell Resistance 10+HD
    Stability: +4 to resist bull rush and trip when on the ground
    Thorny Hide: 1d4 damage with a successful grapple check
    Liquid Guts: 25% Fortification
    Scream: 1d6 sonic damage/2 HD in a 20 ft. cone
    Web: Generate 20 ft of silk rope/point of com mod/day
    Hold Breath: Hold breath 4x con score
    Rapid Regrowth: Fast Healing 2
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

I have completed a new, better map of Tryor! Behold!

Spoiler
    Show

You can also see it on my DevantART page [/shameless self-advertising].

Sorry it took so long, Admiral Squish. I'll get you a better, more colorful scan ASAP.
    Last edited by Super_Dave; 2011-03-15 at 09:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Hey, this looks awesome! Unless you have an objection, I've included this in my Fleshwarping list of graft and symbiont related material. I'd also point out that thread as quite possibly helpful in getting more material for this, since it covers just about all of the official material, and quite a bit of homebrew material, for this kind of theme.

In particular, I'd point out Edge's Sarlithids as being very fitting for what I've gleaned of this Campaign Setting.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
    I have completed a new, better map of Tryor! Behold!

Spoiler
    Show

You can also see it on my DevantART page [/shameless self-advertising].

Sorry it took so long, Admiral Squish. I'll get you a better, more colorful scan ASAP.
    No problem! It looks great, and I've posted it to the front page. Thanks so much, Tryor feels much more complete now.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    Hey, this looks awesome! Unless you have an objection, I've included this in my Fleshwarping list of graft and symbiont related material. I'd also point out that thread as quite possibly helpful in getting more material for this, since it covers just about all of the official material, and quite a bit of homebrew material, for this kind of theme.

In particular, I'd point out Edge's Sarlithids as being very fitting for what I've gleaned of this Campaign Setting.
    I've got no objections! Indeed, I'm honored you find this awesome enough to include it. I have been looking over that fleshwarping list thread periodically, and it's been quite helpful in determining what I don't have to make myself.

I also checked out the Sarlithids, though there's more material there now than when I last looked. It definitely looks like they have a lot of stuff that would be perfect to fit in this. However, I have my own ideas for lesser illithids, and unfortunately, his don't fit with them.

In related news: Chimerans are pretty much done, I just have to re-edit the fluff before I'll feel satisfied to post it.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2011-03-17 at 02:40 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    In related news: Chimerans are pretty much done, I just have to re-edit the fluff before I'll feel satisfied to post it.
    Can't wait to see them.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-17 at 05:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

I've got no objections! Indeed, I'm honored you find this awesome enough to include it. I have been looking over that fleshwarping list thread periodically, and it's been quite helpful in determining what I don't have to make myself.
    \o/

I'm glad it's helped, that's what it's there for! And yes, this seems quite appropriate.

I also checked out the Sarlithids, though there's more material there now than when I last looked. It definitely looks like they have a lot of stuff that would be perfect to fit in this. However, I have my own ideas for lesser illithids, and unfortunately, his don't fit with them.
    Fair enough, though I would comment that you can, of course, refluff them. Maybe a race shaped too much in their maker's image?

Nice, I for one look forward to it!

14. - Top - End - #44

Fair enough, though I would comment that you can, of course, refluff them. Maybe a race shaped too much in their maker's image?
    No, that will be part of the shapertouched template.

My idea for my lesser illithids is that they have this lesser form of brain-consumpion, perhaps a ritual of some sort, that allows the eater to gain access to some or all of the consumed mind's memories. The idea is that they would have a way to seamlessly pass on information from one generation of a project to the next.

Nice, I for one look forward to it!
    There you go, enjoy!
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

I suppose this is as good a time as any to bring up a somewhat thorny issue: Religion in Tryor.

Now, personally, I must admit, I'm not much of a religious man. However, I DO think that religious is a very important part of the modern world, and would be an even MORE integral part of a world where giant monsters might come along and kill you at any time. Much like my beleifs on the language issue, I've honestly thought that WotC payed nowhere near enough attention to the specifics of religion. Each religion gets a short paragraph here, and, if you're lucky, some scattered, often contradictory fluff in the rest of the books. Honestly, I find the diety entries from the 'Races Of' books the be the best information on religions, so I'll probably be using something similar to that.

But then we run into a problem with the setting. I'm pretty sure the shapers wouldn't be particularly keen on their slaves worshiping any deities that weren't them, but I don't want the shapers to actually have to power to grant spells. they're not proper deities, just powerful outsiders with a penchant for meddling. So, really, any religions would either be 5000+ year-old human traditions that managed to somehow survive through millennia of shaper slavery where practice was outlawed, or less than 100 years old.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

I feel that you are needlessly restricting yourself. Perhaps they do worship the Shapers, but the actual divine power comes from semi-aware blots of divine energy that are slowly gaining definition as their worshippers call to them?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #47

I feel that you are needlessly restricting yourself. Perhaps they do worship the Shapers, but the actual divine power comes from semi-aware blots of divine energy that are slowly gaining definition as their worshippers call to them?
    But then, not everyone would worship the shapers. For example, the elves HATE the shapers. A lot of the races really weren't fans of the shapers, in general.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Maybe they worship the concept of shaping, call it "Genesis" or something.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I suggest:

• Individuals of various races become prophets, heralding messages of long-lost gods who have granted visions to these chosen beings.
    • In an attempt to forget about the shapers, the older generations are teaching the younger false creation stories. Like Eberron, divine magic works solely on belief.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-22 at 09:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Well before that you need to answer a question. Are there deities in this setting? If the Shapers aren't deities, then what would the real deities have been doing this whole time? Just letting the Shapers do whatever they feel like?

21. - Top - End - #51

But then, not everyone would worship the shapers. For example, the elves HATE the shapers. A lot of the races really weren't fans of the shapers, in general.
    Another idea is that the elves revere their ancestors, nature itself, or perhaps their hatred of the Shapers is its own religion.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Well before that you need to answer a question. Are there deities in this setting? If the Shapers aren't deities, then what would the real deities have been doing this whole time? Just letting the Shapers do whatever they feel like?
    Perhaps they can't influence the Material Plane directly?

Also, another idea: the Shapers worshiped a pantheon of deities. What is the best way to unite various groups of conquered (or in this case, created) people? If we use the Incas as an example, that answer would be forcibly converting all to a new faith.

Maybe, despite the fact that they over threw the Shapers, races still worship the gods out of tradition and genuine faith? I mean, in their eyes, how could they succeed in overthrowing the Shapers without divine aid?

23. - Top - End - #53

I am not a fan of this approach at all.

My extended homebrew sig

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not a fan of this approach at all.
    Neither am I, but all options should be thoroughly explored.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also, another idea: the Shapers worshiped a pantheon of deities. What is the best way to unite various groups of conquered (or in this case, created) people? If we use the Incas as an example, that answer would be forcibly converting all to a new faith.

Maybe, despite the fact that they over threw the Shapers, races still worship the gods out of tradition and genuine faith? I mean, in their eyes, how could they succeed in overthrowing the Shapers without divine aid?
    ..........You want the main religion to be the worship of Far-Realm Entities? Becuase those things are the only beings a race like the Shapers would revere.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point... Perhaps the Shapers allowed humans to remain worshiping their previous deities, in order to gain the loyalty of said subjects?

.... or perhaps I should stop equating eldritch abominations with real examples of human history...

27. - Top - End - #57

Alright, I suggest:

• Individuals of various races become prophets, heralding messages of long-lost gods who have granted visions to these chosen beings.
    • In an attempt to forget about the shapers, the older generations are teaching the younger false creation stories. Like Eberron, divine magic works solely on belief.
    Hmm, I like the first one. Perhaps the gods of the outer planes decided the world was too risky an endeavor with the shapers there? Like, if they interfered, the shapers would get POed and send an entire plane's military might against them.
    The second option's a good one too, though a lot of the longer-lived races wouldn't have very many adults that were born after the shapers got booted.

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Hmm... Well, originally, the plane was pretty well-isolated. As in, planar travel completely impossible. The shapers cracked the shell with epic magic and broke in (That's also how magic came into the world, the essence of the planes seeping in through the crack) I'm still intending to make it so that to get to the outer planes or to Tryor, you have to go through at least one of the elemental planes before making a second jump to your true destination. So, perhaps it's just really, really hard to get a proverbial 'signal' through the elemental planes.

Another idea is that the elves revere their ancestors, nature itself, or perhaps their hatred of the Shapers is its own religion.
    Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen, but like I said, could a true god form in <500 years?

Yeah, sydonai brought up a good point there. No cthulu-eque abominations, please and thank you.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

I really like the idea of hatred of the shapers becoming a religion unto itself.

29. - Top - End - #59

Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen, but like I said, could a true god form in <500 years?
    Why not? In the absence of the Shapers' sorceries, perhaps the magic that kept the truly divine from manifesting has come unravelled, and young gods now kick in their birth-sleep.

My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #60

I really like the idea of hatred of the shapers becoming a religion unto itself.
    Though, usually religions have a central figure to unite them. I'm not sure how an Anti-X religion would work. Perhaps they idolize the first elven leader to declare war on the shapers and eventually elevate him to a status not unlike 'prophet'?

Actually, I kinda like the idea of hero worship as a method of creating divinities. Maybe each race has their own 'legendary hero' who they sort of deify.

Why not? In the absence of the Shapers' sorceries, perhaps the magic that kept the truly divine from manifesting has come unravelled, and young gods now kick in their birth-sleep.
    Or we could go with the earlier explanation, of the gods always having been there, outside the protective shell of the inner planes, and unable to affect true change on the world below due to the shaper's presence and interference.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show