New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Captain Snes Discussion I: Can You Smell What The Captain Is Cooking?

So this is a discussion thread for webcomic Captain Snes, a deconstruction and part parody of the TV show Captain N, featuring a humorous yet good story. Now updating 3 times a week.

www.captainsnes.com
    TV tropes page

So, who do you guys think the recap will go to next? Back to Alex, Schrodinger?, Mario?

There seems to be a common theme of getting locked into unwinnable situations or battles, so perhaps Mario next?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Captain Snes Discussion I: Can You Smell What The Captain Is Cooking?

Probably Mario, if he was going to have Schrodinger, he probably wouldn't have stopped with the Spoony/Cecil flashback, as they'd be related.

And because the less we know about what Alex is doing, the better.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Re: Captain Snes Discussion I: Can You Smell What The Captain Is Cooking?

This seems like it has become an interesting, well-plotted and probably even deep comic.

It's also been going for a decade with few signs of culmination. Is there any reason not to come back in five years, and check how things are doing?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    This seems like it has become an interesting, well-plotted and probably even deep comic.

It's also been going for a decade with few signs of culmination. Is there any reason not to come back in five years, and check how things are doing?
    It suffered from massive schedule slip which he seems to be rectifying.

5. - Top - End - #5

Indeed. From what I understand, there were a few pretty rocky years for JayDee, but things seem to have eased up now. Both for his sake and the comic's, I'm glad they have.

As for where to go next... It's hard to say. There are just so many options. Kain, Schrodinger and Psycho-Stalker Barbie? Lucca, Frog, and the Twins? Rydia and Rubicante? Mario and Magus? Max Force and the Koopa Kids? Amon in the Desert? Edge and Cid at the Peace Conference? Alex in what is hopefully a far less horrifying situation than it appears? Crono, Cid's Daughter, and everyone else aboard the Good Ship Asparagus? Or maybe even the comedic stylings of Golbez, FuSoYa, and Eggplant Wizard, with special guest star Samus?

Note to newcomers: this is not an exhaustive list.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2011-04-24 at 01:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'm going to go the long shot and guess Marle/Puzzle Wizard. This is really more a hope than anything, but that thread has been dangling for a very long time now, and JayDee seems to be trying to tie them off at present.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, now that he's back to three updates a week, things are actually moving along and I've resumed reading it. It was fun, but when the schedule slipped, I just completely lost track of what was going on.

I'm hoping that the next little while will close off some of these side stories, by merging some groups together or else ending them. I've got my fingers crossed for the Peace Conference, which is presumably where the Drab Lord is headed.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

8. - Top - End - #8

Huh, didn't realize there were so many (former) readers here. I guess it's not too surprising, but nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    I'm going to go the long shot and guess Marle/Puzzle Wizard. This is really more a hope than anything, but that thread has been dangling for a very long time now, and JayDee seems to be trying to tie them off at present.
    I'd like to see that one resolved, too, but agree it doesn't seem too likely. I don't see the situation between the two of them solving itself, so I get the feeling someone outside has to get involved. Then again, I didn't think about the chest until a few comics before it mattered and was still surprised at what came out, so I guess we'll see.

Re: The Peace Conference - It does seem a reasonable time for it. ... When was the last time we checked in there, anyway? Was it this comic?

9. - Top - End - #9

Welp its Alex, again. Jaydee seems to get too much fun out of tormenting his audience.

10. - Top - End - #10

He really does. First the Mario & Magus fake-out, and now this.

Speaking of this, I'm going to continue hoping just as fervently as I always have that yes, Alex has just dropped the soap in a Nexus prison shower, but no, King Hippo has nothing but the soap in mind. ^_^o

11. - Top - End - #11

Jetpacks are indeed awesome!

Also I wonder why King Hippo is so glad to see the Gamemaster

EDIT: http://www.captainsnes.com/2011/05/0...ter-nostalgia/

So it isn't going to be a rerun of Fight Club. Hmm, wonder what Mother Brain did? murder, genocide, hostage taking perhaps? Something that broke out of the classic 'kids show' ideal. Of those the largest one would be rape, but I'm not sure if that'd be the case - perhaps mind rape instead?

Likely something irreversible anyway.
    Last edited by Doran; 2011-05-02 at 05:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Am I the only that was hoping when JayDee did come back he would first make a joke comic with Yang's Wife saying, "Slacking on your projects? I can fix that!" "Frying Pan of Love" *Smack*

Joking aside I am glad he has gotten things worked out with whatever in life.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Still alive, eh? I'll have to look it up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14

Update

Well I've succesfull avoided thinking about it. Rather suprised that there is no commentary from the narrators - Ryan and Alex

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Noooo! You fools!
    This is all just an elaborate trick, you'll get intrested in where the damned thing is going again then after a couple of months it'll all come to a screeching halt. Y'know, like every other time.

16. - Top - End - #16

I dunno. I've got a good feeling about this time. He's actually sticking to the three-per-week schedule. The other glimmers of hope have been about one or two per week, after all. Besides, the comic stepped outside of Nexus long enough to resolve a fight that had been on pause for years! That's gotta count for something.

Anyway, I'm amused at Alex's disbelief in how annoying Eggplant Wizard can be. Also, space yar.

Quote Originally Posted by Doran
    Well I've succesfull avoided thinking about it. Rather suprised that there is no commentary from the narrators - Ryan and Alex
    I'm not so much. Commentary (at least in theory) implies one has thought about the topic of one's words. ^_^o Can you blame them for not wanting to think any more about the thing on display than is strictly necessary?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I know JD, and I'm sure this time he's going to stick with it. He already has more story comics up this year than any since 2005.

So it's looking like we're going to learn what Omega Energy is very soon (along with a lot of other pre-Great Change backstory). My theory has always been that it's negative emotional energy that only people from the Real World have.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

18. - Top - End - #18

But what about Spoony's sorrow?

I think its reality, OR a game cartridge/disc itself

19. - Top - End - #19

I wonder when (if?) Mother Brain drops the Princess into the hole, there is going to be some kind of reality 'break' to represent a divergence from the TV shows usual stuff.

Also, could the Princess, tainted by Omega Energy become the Sovereign of Sorrow?

20. - Top - End - #20

Ooh, glad to see the thread isn't dead.

And it's possible, I agree. I've nursed the theory that this grave is for the person who became the Sovereign, and Lana's a strong candidate.

But if she does, the change doesn't happen for a while. She seems about the same when she banishes Simone. Which, topically enough, is when we first saw the N-Forcers.

So, on that note: awesome fight is awesome.

21. - Top - End - #21

Oh hey nice bit of commentary up on yje hiatus - tis looking good so far!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh JD you lovable scamp!

On the question of who the Sovereign of Sorrow is, I think the connection between her and Hope can't be a coincidence. I suppose it could be a mother-daughter connection between Queen Lana and the Princess of Videoland (who is presumably Hope), but I find it more likely that Hope and Sorrow are mirror images of the same person. How that person is connected to Hope Keene, Alex's childhood babysitter in the real world, is a big mystery.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hm, so I guess Captain N paused time, grabbed her, and unpaused. I wonder what's with the sizzle? Perhaps he jumped in with her hoping to shield her from the Ω energy with his 'realness'?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Hm, so I guess Captain N paused time, grabbed her, and unpaused. I wonder what's with the sizzle? Perhaps he jumped in with her hoping to shield her from the Ω energy with his 'realness'?
    What ever he did to charge his light gun with Ω Energy?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Possible, but it might just be the base of Lana's cage falling in. My guess is we'll get a reveal of them both safe and sound some distance away next comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    What ever he did to charge his light gun with Ω Energy?
    Could be. I'm still wondering what brought that on... Maybe he could just channel the small amounts of it he has through the gun, once he becomes sufficiently driven to do so? Someone else 'falls' before he kills Mother Brain with it, and we know Lana at least outlives Mother Brain, so... Very interested to see how it all comes about.

26. - Top - End - #26

New comic.

Spoiler
    Show

So Mother Brain kicked the dog. So by the standards of the tv show the permakilling probably counts as a Moral Event Horizon - which is maybe why Captain N killed her. Not sure how it escalated beyond that - maybe Captain N's permakilling of her and using Omega Energy corrupted him and spread to those around him.

This could explain why the new Gamemaster is Alex - after being corrupted by Omega energy, Videoland now needs to go the opposite route, and reintroduce a jaded individual to their former innocence who is beyond corruption - perhaps by overcoming his flaws - cymcism instead of realism etc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this has to be the harshest strip since Marle got Tetris-ized.

Still, I just can't help myself, I have to say it. Ruh-roh!

28. - Top - End - #28

Um. Wow. Not sure what I was expecting, but...

To quote someone on the CSNES forums: "That sound effect is just so sickening...
    And Duke may very well be the only endearing character in Captain N altogether."

29. - Top - End - #29

Hmm, the odd thing is that people were presumably permakilled in games once they were played out, so its a surprise Hippo seems to be taking this so harshly. Perhaps this is why RPG character have a rep for being emo, because their games tend to involve the permakilling of significant, i.e. sentient characters.

In fact... there's been no real rule against ressurection happening in most games apart from RPGs, so that'd explain the shock - after the game everyone dead can be resurrected.
    Last edited by Doran; 2011-05-27 at 02:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I would consider that comment in the context of the Captain N cartoon. I don't believe there was ever perma-death in that.