New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

You do that, and I'll make sure they know you're there before I'm gone, Antal threatans as he heads up to investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll after I'm sure Audric doesn't plan on stopping me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

"Antal..." Audric starts, sternly, then actually takes a moment to think about it, and shuts up. It may actually be a good idea to know what he's getting himself into, before going blindly into it. He sighs "Try to be careful."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal creeps upstairs and presses his ear to the thin wall.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Three voices are debating.
    "You cheated!"
    "I'd like to know how I'd be able to look under a solid cup."
    "When we're checking our own, you coulda looked."
    "...You guys are both idiots. I can't see crap from here."
    "Aha! You're lying."
    "The pot is eight coppers! Let it go."
    "So you admit it?"
    "Gods above man..."

They're playing Liar's Dice, and the game's not going spectacularly well. But it doesn't seem to pertain to you guys.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Troll in the Playground

Antal creeps back down to the others, They'll be busy playing dice for a while.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2012-08-14 at 01:04 PM.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric thinks for a moment, then seems to reach a conclusion. It's probably better that he gets the casters to safety, and in any case, he would have to warn someone about the book and the traps. "Very well. Let's move out before someone decides to leave that room." He hesitates, then moves towards the pile of scrolls and potions, carefully picking them up and stuffing them in his backpack. He doesn't feel particularly guilty in taking them - they're certainly stolen anyway, and they're going to put then to good use.

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone wants to stop Audric, feel free to.

As I said, I'm going to take the healing potions, healing scrolls and the scrolls of unknown function. I'll leave the others to plunder lawfully confiscate the rest.

Also, if I need a move silently roll to exit when the others do, let me know (but I'm really hoping not.)

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana quickly moves to help Audric, taking everything he's indicated is magic and Antal hasn't indicated is trapped.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

You quickly remove the majority of the magical goods from the smuggler's basement, as well as an assortment of useful but more or less normal ones. Leaving is not an issue, though leaving without making noise might be. Unless you have other plans, you return to the marketplace to get some paper and ink, and possibly some other trinkets or cooked food.

(If there's anything you want to do before confronting Yistin (eating strange market food, shooting unknown disks with arrows, harassing innocent dice-players) now's the time)
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-08-15 at 03:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

Tayet pulls two arrows out from his quiver, each one distinct. One is standard, though its metal head is dented and seems worn, and the other is wrapped, like a sack. He leans over to Rana, whispering. "Spéis agat in an tua. Is féidir liom a shoot gaiste, féach más buan gur mar 'disarm'. Bíodh saigheada blunt, freisin, mar a luadh. Féidir le daoine cnag amach má bhuaileann sé deacair go leor."

Sylvan
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Interested in the axe. I can shoot trap, see if that serves as 'disarm'. Have blunt arrows, too, as mentioned. Can knock people out if it hits hard enough. "
    Just finding my roots again.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Rana replies in Common, "What?! No!" her voice a little bit shriller than she intended. In a slightly more normal tone she hisses, "Don't you try shooting it! You have no idea what would happen!"
    Last edited by Savannah; 2012-08-17 at 01:21 AM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Better idea, we get far away, then you shoot it.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2012-08-17 at 01:23 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin looks between Rana and Tayet, alarmed. "What? Shoot what?"

12. - Top - End - #1212

"He wants to shoot the traps," Rana explains, sounding exasperated.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric looks like he can't believe his ears "He wants to..." he repeats, incredulously, then turning to Tayet "You are aware..." he pauses, and switches to Elven. Maybe that language would help getting his point across more easily. ((In elven)): "[We have four casters in this room - you included.]" he starts again, slowly, trying for a reasonable tone. "[If I am questioned, I do not have a way to explain why you're still alive - and, more to the point, still armed and not bound or gagged. Maybe you are not aware, or forgot, but I can tell what you are at a glance. So would the rest of my brethren, except, they won't act as I have. Bringing attention to ourselves is the last thing we need to do.]"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-17 at 02:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

"Դու կարծում ես նկարահանել թակարդ, առանց առաջին զբաղվող մարդկանց վերեւում. Փաթաթված arrow, բութ arrow. Knocks տղամարդիկ են: Որ դա նախկինում: Թակել նրանց դուրս թույլ է տալիս մեզ թողնում աննկատ, պայմանով, որ դրանք բավականաչափ արագ խփել. The Axe ինչ ես հետո `կրակել են թակարդ է միակ ճանապարհը: Ես գիտեմ, որ դա զինաթափում, եթե մեկը ձեզանից հանկարծ բացահայտում է, որ հմտություն հավաքածու." Tayet says, switching the comforting dialogue. He waves the blunt arrow for emphasis, his voice quiet, but his frustration with the language difference, and mindset difference, between growing. These people didn't seem like stalkers, anyhow, let alone the Paladin. "Եթե​​, իհարկե, դուք գիտեք թե ինչպես կարելի է գողանալ անցյալի մարդկանց այդ մահացած ծանրությունից զրկելու աննկատ."

Spoiler
    Show
    "You think I would shoot the trap, without first dealing with men above? Wrapped arrow, blunt arrow. Knocks men out. Mentioned this before. Knock them out, lets us leave unnoticed, provided we hit them fast enough. The Axe is what I'm after; shooting the trap is the only way I know to disarm it, unless one of you suddenly reveals that skill set. Unless, of course, you know how to sneak past men in that dead weight of yours unnoticed."

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shoots another incredulous look at Rana, then addresses Tayet again,continuing to speak in Elven "[Putting aside, for a moment, the fact that I am NOT going to let you ambush people without even knowing who they are, what if shooting the trap causes an explosion? Triggers an alarm? Alerts someone else of the fact that we are here?]" He points at Antal for emphasis "[Last time we did something remotely similar]" in the witch's house, with the trapped book and the undead girl "[we wound up having to deal with three paladins. That was bad enough, without having to explain away a sorcerer and a...]" he trails off. What is he, exactly? He gives another look to Rana, that clearly means help me with this.

16. - Top - End - #1216

"Listen. You came to me because you wanted to learn. Learn the first lesson: Survive. Nothing matters more. Survive. That means don't do anything stupid! You don't know that you'll manage to knock out those people, you don't know what setting off those traps would do. If you must try, be smart -- come back later when no one else is around."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cardea, do you mind just using plain english? I'm sick and it's giving me a headache trying to work out what in the main text corresponds to what in your translation.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, this makes sense. How often have answers dropped in our laps? These guys may know something, and you wanna just walk away. Let's ask them a few questions, nicely of course.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric turns to look at Antal "By Aldaran." he says, almost to himself, sounding like he is very rapidly running out of patience. Knowing Audric, having him running out of patience is quite a feat to accomplish. "Antal, that's what I said I wanted to do less than ten minutes ago. You all stopped me. Would you please make up your mind?"

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Troll in the Playground

You wanted to walk up to them and ask them questions. We want to knock them out. And then tie them up. And then "ask" them questions.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1220

"Speak for yourself; I just want to get out of here!" Rana looks like she wants to pace angrily, but resists for fear of making too much noise.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric says something under his breath. It’s very low, very quick and not so easy to grasp, but it sounded like a pretty heavy swearword. His voice returns to the normal level of whispering after a moment. “Antal, I am not sure who you think I am, exactly, but I am not letting you attack random people on the off chance they know something. We are chasing a witch, and we have just agreed to try and expose a paladin.” And Audric is trying not to think too closely about what the last part of that sentence implies. He looks Antal in the eyes, focusing on him: it's probably better that Rana keeps talking to Tayet, since she seems to know what arguments to use better than him. “We do not need to add anything else on top of that, especially not when there is nobody in any immediate danger. We send the location of the house to the Order – anonymously: they can deal with the book, the traps and the demon summoning: it is what we are trained to do,after all.” Part of it, at least, and the rest implies hunting down and killing the very same people he's now arguing with. Audric sighs. And speaking of that...

Besides, I would bet you have not thought that far away, but unless you are planning of killing those people in cold blood, after you question them you will eventually have to let them go, and they are going to go straight to the temple to denounce a paladin that travels with some strange individuals. Rana has a wolf. Tayet has an eagle. It does not take long to put two and two together and get elves...or spellcasters. If you are thinking being with me will act like some sort of protection in case the Order is sicced on us, it won’t. I could have tried to cover for you when it was only you and Rana, but I can’t explain away four spellcasters, and a sorcerer among them.

Not that he doesn’t intend to try and protect them in case something goes wrong, but... A sorcerer. This is something that is going to keep him awake tonight, he’s sure of it. At the moment, he goes to stand near Rana and puts an hand on her shoulder, briefly, both to calm her and to show support.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

"Gotta agree with Audric on this one. This is a pretty shoddy neighborhood, what's makin' you think that those guys upstairs know anythin' that we care to hear? He glances back to the trapped loot. "I don't care what you greedy misers do with the rest of this, but at least let me get clear of the explosion before you start settin' off traps again. Don't know why you'd trust anythin' that's collectin' dust down here anyway."

23. - Top - End - #1223

RedWizardGuy

Jess

Jess, who has been nervy as a cat recently, speaks up. "Choirboy's got the right of it. Don't fight something you don't know, 'specially when you can run." She says, with less evident distaste than you'd think in her eyes. The smile stays painted on, though, even as she casts wary gazes up towards the sounds. "Now, I got a couple of tricks in my hands that could help us. Magic-like tricks, see? I can conjure a bunch of fake noises up to distract them, or put magic over my eyes so's I can see secret passages and such..."

She winces. "...Which is fine 'long as they ain't church. So's if we do that plan, get ready to run. If we could just have a look-see somehow-" She looks back in her memory for any eyeholes.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shakes his head “They are not ‘church’. They do not have magic of any kind, neither divine or arcane. Paladins can feel magic, remember.” And how often will he have to keep explaining that particular bit is anyone’s guess. Although, after the stunt Sandry pulled off at the tavern, he shouldn’t be surprised that she doesn’t know, or doesn’t remember. “And there is no need for you to use your...powers.” He says ‘powers’ in a odd tone. A sorcerer. I have to keep under control a sorcerer, now. Definitely something that will keep him awake tonight. “They aren’t directly over our heads, which means we should be able to exit unnoticed.” A pause. “And if we aren’t... I have a reason to be here, and they would be the ones that have to explain their presence to me.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Deafnotdumb, of course it would be a sound strategy to distract those people with illusory sound... but you’re a sorcerer, and Audric is a paladin. He’s going to try and stop you from using magic whenever he can. Protip: if you feel it’s important, just ignore him. It’s what Savannah did before Rana and Audric came to an agreement.

25. - Top - End - #1225

RedWizardGuy

"It ain't like 'my powers' are in short supply." Jess whispers back. "This is the kinda situation I use that spell for. And you might have a reason to be here, but-" She shrugs. "-I don't want to be bringing the one choirboy I know's not under that bastard's thumb to his attention. Keep hidden, eh?" She smiles as if they're friends on a lark.
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2012-08-31 at 04:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

Tayet looks at Rana for a moment, holding her gaze. He sighs, putting the sharp arrow into its slot, but still holding onto the blunt arrow. "I keep out, just in case."

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

It’s not you possibly running out of powers that worries me, Audric wants to answer Jess, but he doesn’t. Now is not the time nor the place to have that kind of discussion.

Sandry, I am going to deliver a letter asking that... ‘bastard’, as you define him, to meet me. Being brought to his attention is not exactly a concern of mine.” He shakes his head, but actually nods in relief when Tayet seems convinced to abandon his plan. “Go, now. Exit. All of you.” He motions the others outside, taking the rearguard as a means to both keep an eye on them and be ready to protect their exit in case they are spotted.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Feel free to cast regardless, DeafNotDumb. . Also, Cardea, Audric is not quite sure how to interact with you... you must admit, Tayet is quite strange.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-31 at 04:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228

RedWizardGuy

Jess waits to see if Audric will expand on his reasons for limiting her magic, and when none comes smirks insolently at him behind his back and makes what to her is an entirely reflexive gesture. There is the sound of hushed but extremely clumsy footsteps from the other side of the house, complete with a yelp of pain, and Jess puts on the most suspicious expression of innocence ever seen on a mage.

"Some poor souls must've gone and tripped." She says. "Let's go be taking advantage of this divine gift."
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2012-09-07 at 04:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin shoots Jess a look that says he hasn't been fooled at all. We need to have a talk. It's something Audric isn't much looking forward to. And certainly this is not the place. "Out!" he repeats sternly, almost in a hiss.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

Eventually you come to a consensus and leave, closing the smuggler's den up again and replacing the table. While the smuggler would get a nasty sort of surprise when he checked on his stash, there is nothing immediately wrong with the room above. No one attempts to stop you - indeed, it seems that no one has noticed your arrival here, nor your departure. Without any other pressing concerns or other plans, you decide to proceed with your investigation of Sir Yistin and visit the parents of the poor deceased child. The information you have is sparse after all. The few papers you have claim the child is a boy, yet Jess believes the child is a girl, and there is no evidence of this Faolan's existence before his (or her) time with Sir Yistin.

Jess leads you to a different house nearly halfway across the city. It bears a startling similarity to the neighborhood, if that is the proper term for either area, near the smuggler's house, but with the addition of a strong odor of fish and rather less rubbish on the sides of the street. The streets are slightly wider, and more people walk by as you head down them. You catch a few odd glances, but only a toddler is rude - or observant - enough to comment. "Look, Ma! Issa birdy!" he manages to squeal in excitement. The mother looks, and doesn't seem to like what she sees, quickly dragging off the kid and ignoring his pleas to play with the 'birdy'.

The building you end up at hardly stands out from its surroundings. Strings of laundry are hung out to dry from the third-floor window, and a bunch of withered yellow flowers hangs from a nail next to the door. Someone seems to have made a valiant attempt at cleaning up the immediate area, but hasn't gotten much farther than gathering the trash into piles. The front door is not locked, though it does stick a bit. A braided rag rug and a small wooden sign are the only adornments in the entry hall, unless you would consider a dark stain in one corner a decoration of some sort. Words are carved, or at least scratched, into the sign.

Hawke
    Darrins
    Archen
    Taylor
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-09-15 at 12:44 AM.