New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

I'm quite pleased with this outcome.

Of course when Grace and Raven were going on and on about helping that boar, I was rolling my eyes something fierce. So really, the boar getting killed was the only outcome that would have satisfied the "Are you kidding me?!" part of me.

Now I guess Grace has to teach Raven some horribly naive and worthless lesson. Just shut up and keep on skulking, Grace.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't really get why you hate this so much. Grace is aware that killing is sometimes necessary, but what is wrong with looking for an alternative first?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Because I am a terrible person who does terrible things for terrible reasons, and I often think terrible thoughts.

Isn't it terrible?

--------------

Couldn't really say why, but anytime I ever see a story that involves "We have to save <insert animal here>!"

I just automatically think of it as tedious and want the protagonists to fail.

And before you ask, no, I don't hate animals. There's just something about an animal rescue storyline (arc) that rubs me the wrong way.
    Last edited by Shogo; 2012-02-06 at 04:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

As the residential Psychology person, I say that it might have been caused by mild trauma and reinforcement from the recent development of environmental fiction.

Which is to say, you have experienced a lot of tedious stories about it and few that were not, and expect the pattern to continue. [/SeriousSciencyPerson]

I prescribe surprise glomping! :3

*Glomps*

On another note, the new page is adorable. I wonder if Akiko will gain hair-based magic, or if this is foreshadowing of the main cast being thrown into a Fairy Tale land and Nanase being Rapuntzel. Clearly one of them must come to pass, but which.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Dan might be the most meticulous web comic author on Earth when it comes to dates and time spans. Lately he's been putting some real effort in noting the passing of time.

It's a really nice touch, but it also brings attention to it. The cast can't stay in school forever, for example, or people will notice. I for one think it adds a catalyst for changes that makes the comic more complex and ultimately better. Provided her can keep it up.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Firbolg in the Playground

First panel. I first thought the caption referred to the speech bubble that was immediately above it (it should have). And it would have been a lot funnier if it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Dan might be the most meticulous web comic author on Earth when it comes to dates and time spans. Lately he's been putting some real effort in noting the passing of time.

It's a really nice touch, but it also brings attention to it. The cast can't stay in school forever, for example, or people will notice. I for one think it adds a catalyst for changes that makes the comic more complex and ultimately better. Provided her can keep it up.
    Originally, they were meant to be in college by now.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

On the latest comic:

and there goes aaaaaaaaaaannnny hope for Nanase that this babysitting of her sister will be anything normal
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is quite surprising how the difference in forum can change the feel I'm getting. The official forum is very critical of Dan's writing, even Pippi, the most lovely person you will ever meet, think he needs an editor.

Here it seems more...hopeful.

Anyway. I stopped reading EGS after the super hero/fire thing. I then went back to read the recent arc and just stopped again. I'm not enjoying EGS like I use to, but at the same time, I can't quite put my finger on what I enjoyed about it so much. The drama? The comedy? The TF? I dunno.

Fingers crossed next arc might catch my interest again.

10. - Top - End - #370

I think the only reason I follow EGS is because it shows Dan Shive's progress as an artist. Going away from the vaguely creepy fetishistic vibes of the beginning, attempting to fix the goofiness in the worldbuilding by doing away with some old thing and adding depth to others, improving art and writing, etc.

It's not a great comic and probably never will, there are still a ton of flaws in it, but it's working to get there. And that's cool. It's also in part thanks to the author rants where he explains how he made the comic and, mostly, how he changed the way he makes the comic.

So even if it's not a comic I'd go out of my way to recommend to people, I like it because, basically, it's not a Dominic Deegan/Control+Alt+Del type of webcomic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I think the only reason I follow EGS is because it shows Dan Shive's progress as an artist. Going away from the vaguely creepy fetishistic vibes of the beginning, attempting to fix the goofiness in the worldbuilding by doing away with some old thing and adding depth to others, improving art and writing, etc.

It's not a great comic and probably never will, there are still a ton of flaws in it, but it's working to get there. And that's cool. It's also in part thanks to the author rants where he explains how he made the comic and, mostly, how he changed the way he makes the comic.

So even if it's not a comic I'd go out of my way to recommend to people, I like it because, basically, it's not a Dominic Deegan/Control+Alt+Del type of webcomic.
    Aye. Reading something that you can SEE the improvement in shows that the creator(s) really cares about their work and knows that there's always room for improvement. It's one reason I've stuck with EGS.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

I like it because it shows how crazy a universe full of magic would really be, and how there would still be emotion and sadness and drama among it as well, and has great character development.

13. - Top - End - #373

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    It is quite surprising how the difference in forum can change the feel I'm getting. The official forum is very critical of Dan's writing, even Pippi, the most lovely person you will ever meet, think he needs an editor.

Here it seems more...hopeful.

Anyway. I stopped reading EGS after the super hero/fire thing. I then went back to read the recent arc and just stopped again. I'm not enjoying EGS like I use to, but at the same time, I can't quite put my finger on what I enjoyed about it so much. The drama? The comedy? The TF? I dunno.

Fingers crossed next arc might catch my interest again.
    We're just going to keep running into eachother all over the internet, aren't we?

BTW, I have your Gladiator's Armor proc.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    We're just going to keep running into eachother all over the internet, aren't we?

BTW, I have your Gladiator's Armor proc.

We do o.o We really really do...

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it because it manages a very precarious balance between interesting drama and just not giving a damn. The humour has never stagnated for me, which it often tends to do otherwise.

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I like it because it manages a very precarious balance between interesting drama and just not giving a damn. The humour has never stagnated for me, which it often tends to do otherwise.
    I'd never really thought about why I like EGS, but that explanation works pretty well for me, too.

Off-topic, but since it's been randomly bugging me for a while... Weimann, what's your avatar's cutie-mark? I'll likely feel dumb for not getting it on my own, but I've been blanking for so long. ^_^o

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd never really thought about why I like EGS, but that explanation works pretty well for me, too.

Off-topic, but since it's been randomly bugging me for a while... Weimann, what's your avatar's cutie-mark? I'll likely feel dumb for not getting it on my own, but I've been blanking for so long. ^_^o
    It's a comic book frame where somepony was very recently, but currently there's just the dust cloud left after him, since he had to run away now.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-02-21 at 03:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

So... yeah...

Reeeeeeeeally weird mental image from friday's comic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you broke Susan there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Healthier than if she did accept Ms. Bobcat's offer without any potential to develop reciprocal feeling. I'm not sure whether to root for her accepting or turning him down though.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Matt seems cool. Well, not nearly cool enough for her, of course, but still.

Is it weird that everything that has to do with last year at school gives me this almost Springsteenian feeling of sand slipping through the hourglass and the glory days becoming memories that slowly but inevitably grow more distant? Death is a spit in the ocean compared to the angst I can get over a summer holiday.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

I think he's plenty cool enough for her. He seems a kind and honest gentleman, while I have serious problems with her stance on mankind (emphasis on the man, but I have trouble with her attitudes towards all of humanity). He may not be cool enough for her in her eyes, but she's set her sights so high and has such a skewed view of other people...
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

To be fair, Susan has already admitted that the sentiment of all men being evil was wrong, which subsequently meant that Mr. Pompom's behaviour could no longer be excused by it.

So, essentially, just recently realising that people close to you can betray you might lead to panic attacks when asked out. Hopefully she will learn to trust new people again, but that takes time.

On a happier note, I foresee hilarity breaking the charts once everybody begins their summer jobs. X3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I like how Tedd's revised imagine spot includes eye protection and makes Grace actually look normal.

And turns him into a hot girl.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Differences between the images:
    - Make-up removed.
    - Protective glasses instead of normal glasses.
    - Hair in general is shorter.
    - Sarah gave Tedd her clothes.
    - Grace is actually wearing less. Really, girl, use a lab coat when Tedd's waving the chemicals around.

I wonder what minimum wage is expressed in terms of unimaginable power? Power that makes you go "oh, huh, that's cool I guess"?
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-03-28 at 07:36 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

I just like this particular one. really shows the way Tedd thinks. its always interesting to see what goes on in his head.

but then again, I'm a mad scientist myself and Tedd is my favorite part of this comic so……bit of a bias, I admit.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I just like this particular one. really shows the way Tedd thinks. its always interesting to see what goes on in his head.

but then again, I'm a mad scientist myself and Tedd is my favorite part of this comic so……bit of a bias, I admit.
    Mad scientists of the world, UNITE!

I just like the phrasing. I can ONLY pay you in unimaginable power...
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Well yes, why would I pay my assistants in anything else? I can't pay them in unimaginable wealth, that would crash the economy! and unimaginable knowledge is what I am being paid! and I don't have the resources to pay them in unimaginable happiness, I'm not made of unimaginable money! and unimaginable wonders is what we are creating, not what we are being paid...

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I really hope the last two panels of todays page aren't foreshadowing what I think they are.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I agree, not a fan of this implied "twist".

I also hate it whenever character's start talking about "compatibility" like that... solid relationships have nothing to do with compatibility. Two people can NEVER be fully compatible! It's about the commitment to work out and work through the incompatibilities that define lasting relationships...

Sorry, EGS just pushed a button there.