New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    I was just wondering if they fell under the same grouping; no direct comparisons were made.
    Well, then, no, because it's about sexuality and gender identity for the most part. There's no real basis for connecting something not of those two things to the main milieu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Wow, there has been thirteen threads about LGBT and I don't think I have ever posted. But now that I have I don't really know what to say.

Also I am in the Philippines, where transgender(guys who cross dress? not sure) is more common than gay. Also very large stigma on homosexuality in general. Imagine how hard it is to be gay AND a geek?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Wow, there has been thirteen threads about LGBT and I don't think I have ever posted. But now that I have I don't really know what to say.

Also I am in the Philippines, where transgender(guys who cross dress? not sure) is more common than gay. Also very large stigma on homosexuality in general. Imagine how hard it is to be gay AND a geek?
    First off, hi! Doesn't matter how it long it took you to post, it's always nice to see a new face. Anyway I'm the same, I can never think of what to say and usually when I do someone else says it better, but no worries.

Guys who cross dress are called 'tranvestites', 'transgender' is when a person's gender idenity is the opposite of the one one they were biologically born as. I hope I explained that well...

Come to think of it, with so many different trans-somethings that exist, it must be incredibly confusing to non-native speakers sometimes.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

4. - Top - End - #304

HalflingRangerGuy

Thanks. Also Transvestites as a group frown down on guys who are openly gay but aren't transvestites because they think that they are lying to themselves. Strange huh?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah that's very odd. Though I've cross-dressed a few times myself, I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a transvestite to be gay.

Sometimes I wonder how these strange ideas come about. Society is a mystery.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306

HalflingRangerGuy

Oh I and I am a geek in the closet. Lolz, my gaming group knows i am gay but guys I date don't know I am a gamer. They find it strange. Lolz.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I and I am a geek in the closet. Lolz, my gaming group knows i am gay but guys I date don't know I am a gamer. They find it strange. Lolz.
    Hey. Gaymer pride, man. Gaymer pride.

Also welcome. Glomp pile? Glomp pile. *Glomp*
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello cupkeyk. I too would find it troublesome to be gay in a hot sweaty country full of dark, slim, hairless men. - especially that frowns on it. One of the world's great cruel ironies.

Strangely enough I've met many gay guys from the Philippines where I live -- none of whom cross-dress. The attitude you describe is curious. Are many of the cross-dressers also prostitutes or performers... just out of curiosity?

Calamity, haven't seen your name around here in a blue moon.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Glomp pile!

*Joins glomp!*

Calamity! Haven't seen you in ages, now I'm all nostalgic about the good old days of ABR.

Which are essentially the current ones with faster posting.

Cupkeyk, those indeed sounds weird. I'm pretty sure you don't have to be gay to be a transvestite so going the other way ought to hit something on the logic highway.

Probably an Elk of Irrational Arguments, those have appeared a lot lately.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    Yes, it does.
    I was just exemplifying why I consider myself bi, because I fit everyone in the two genders.
    Even if a person were to change his/her gender identity by hour, I'd still fit him/her in the two categories, choosing the most appropriate one for his/her current gender identity.
    What about someone who identifies as "both and neither" at the same time?

Yeah, I know I'm being difficult and I don't want to be - but at the same time I can't just say I'm one or the other and not feel like a liar or that people should hate me because I'm hiding something from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm more curious if there's any way to announce it then, if that's how it usually goes with the whole announcing being pan deliberately when around trans individuals, for it not to be interpreted as announcing interest.

I mean, it's complained about that people think pan individuals are insatiable and after anything that moves, but then you reveal that you purposefully reveal you're pan to any trans individual to "make them feel comfortable," but that only matters to them if there's to be any pursuit, so in the context it basically becomes either A. asking them to pursue or B. informing them that they will be pursued by you.
    I don't believe that I've ever complained about people presuming that I'm "insatiable and after anything that moves." I also had specified intersex and genderqueer moreso than trans and that I would correct somone who misidentified my sexuality in that situation rather than announce it completely at random. I will usually identify as bi when I feel the need to give a simpler answer and pan when I am willing to explain it (which is probably more often than not). It's not like I use "hi, I'm pansexual" as a pickup line as you seemed to have misconstrued from my example - I identify as pan even without the presence of someone who I think it might matter to because sometimes it is surprising to find out that someone who you thought had a strong gender identity is a little more in-between than they usually like to admit.

And if you're comparing trans individuals to otherkin, that's just offensive.
    I'm a little unclear on exactly how or why that is offensive.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

11. - Top - End - #311

HalflingRangerGuy

Yeah, the mainstream concept of "gay" is the transexual entertainer. And unfortunately, our many beach resorts are also sex tourism hubs including those with a tranny fetish.

If you'd meet a Filipino overseas, its very likely that they are educated and only a minority of Filipinos finish highschool. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Why would be harder to be gay in a hot, sweaty country full of dark, slim hairless men?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the mainstream concept of "gay" is the transexual entertainer. And unfortunately, our many beach resorts are also sex tourism hubs including those with a tranny fetish.

If you'd meet a Filipino overseas, its very likely that they are educated and only a minority of Filipinos finish highschool. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Why would be harder to be gay in a hot, sweaty country full of dark, slim hairless men?
    I think he was implying that it would come up more often (Pun intended) and so make social situations harder (pun intended). No?

We could erect a monument (now I'm just stretching it(oh goodness me that came out even worse)) to kneenibble's ability to flirt and imply sexual attraction to people he's never met. So he's probably just hitting on you.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically, I think he's hitting on your entire country.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

14. - Top - End - #314

He could probably pull it off (boo-yeah).

15. - Top - End - #315

HalflingRangerGuy

I've dated a Canadian once. In Shanghai.

But yeah, Filipinos need only the flimsiest of reasons to take of their clothes in public; given the weather and the fact that since we are an archipelago, taking a quick dip in the river or the sea always sounds like a good idea.

Please tell me if its not allowed but in case its not, I am rolling_in_the_deep and adndict in PR.
    Last edited by cupkeyk; 2011-04-06 at 01:35 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

@Kneenibble and @Keveak:

Yeah... it's been a while. Apparently it's much harder to be active when you're at Uni, for me at least. According to a book I read, this town is the "gay capital" of Wales, though the existence of Swansea and Cardiff give me my doubts. I don't know if this applies to anyone on this thread but I would highly recommend if you're going to university soon joining the LGBT+ society there, because it was probably the best decision I ever made.

I can't go on holiday to hot places anymore. Too many guys, too little clothes. Drives me mad. Actually my last stay in Lanzarote was what made me realise I was into guys, for similar reasons.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317

HalflingRangerGuy

Aaah, I guess we develop some resistance to it then. Hmmmn

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I don't know if this applies, but story/conversation/thing I did sort of applies here. I am mostly posting this (please don't hurt me, great-mods of yore, it isn't directly an advertisement [feel no obligation to read the rest of my stuff, most is crap], and it has a lot to do with LGBT stuff) because A) it seems to deal with even more non-standard sexualities or sexual attraction and stuff, and B) I want to hear some sort of conversation that might stem from it, mostly because none of my friends IRL ever... ever... ever talk about it, and I feel really frustrated because of this.

[Note:] The characters swear a lot, and I flagged it as such, but I am letting anyone who doesn't like to read swearing or a lot of swearing know.

If this isn't appropriate, because it is (I suppose? Dunno how this kind of stuff works) technically advertising (even though it is on a topic definitely related to this thread), feel free to tell me, and I will remove it.
    Notsure if I should reply to that here or there - there, it's a piece of writing; here, you want to continue/start a new conversation.

Regarding necrophilia, consent absolutely still applies. I mean, it does for organ donation. Without consent it's defiling a grave.

As for other things... it's good to think quite carefully about whether something is or is not harmful to others on this good Earth. I have a zoophile friend, who would never engage in ... things because he loves and respects animals and very much does not want to cause harm to them. I suppose the question to answer is 'is it really harmless'.

19. - Top - End - #319

I don't know if this applies, but story/conversation/thing I did sort of applies here. I am mostly posting this (please don't hurt me, great-mods of yore, it isn't directly an advertisement [feel no obligation to read the rest of my stuff, most is crap], and it has a lot to do with LGBT stuff) because A) it seems to deal with even more non-standard sexualities or sexual attraction and stuff, and B) I want to hear some sort of conversation that might stem from it, mostly because none of my friends IRL ever... ever... ever talk about it, and I feel really frustrated because of this.

[Note:] The characters swear a lot, and I flagged it as such, but I am letting anyone who doesn't like to read swearing or a lot of swearing know.

If this isn't appropriate, because it is (I suppose? Dunno how this kind of stuff works) technically advertising (even though it is on a topic definitely related to this thread), feel free to tell me, and I will remove it.
    Thoughts... are likely to not be too coherent, but I'll try.

My completely unfounded pulled-it-out-of-my-butt hypothesis is that there are people who believe there is meaning inherent in the act of having sex (provided you're old enough, attractive enough, heterosexual enough, monogamous enough, whatever norms happen to be present in that culture), and then there are people who believe that sex has whatever meaning we attach to it.

I think historically that belief #1 has been encouraged by the hegemony, thus leading to the idea that sex (and its inherent meaning) could/should only be shared between two people who could appreciate it, or who could use it to have bebbez, or who promised to not share the sex (and meaning) with other people, and this got incorporated into the idea that the only "moral" way to have sex was if it was between a wed man and woman (with man and woman defined as above a certain age and cisgender) who were trying to make bebbez.

The rise of postmodernism and social constructionism, the increasing availability and effectiveness of birth control, and the growing realisation that sexy stuff is...you know, fun and not inherently harmful if done relatively safely and with respect to the rights of involved parties (oh no, not using biased language at all...) has lead to a growing movement of questioning previously held ideas about the ethics of sexual activity, with more emphasis being placed on what rights involved parties have and how best to preserve those rights.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

And if you're comparing trans individuals to otherkin, that's just offensive.
    ...not really? Although calling it offensive is offensive to one of those two groups.

Also, (joins glomp pile)
    Hihihihi new person! ^^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rayne_dragon View Post
    What about someone who identifies as "both and neither" at the same time?

Yeah, I know I'm being difficult and I don't want to be - but at the same time I can't just say I'm one or the other and not feel like a liar or that people should hate me because I'm hiding something from them.
    Depending on my relationship with said person, it would be either "my lover", "my love", "my friend", "that awesome person" or other gender neutral variants.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post

My completely unfounded pulled-it-out-of-my-butt hypothesis is that there are people who believe there is meaning inherent in the act of having sex (provided you're old enough, attractive enough, heterosexual enough, monogamous enough, whatever norms happen to be present in that culture), and then there are people who believe that sex has whatever meaning we attach to it.

I think historically that belief #1 has been encouraged by the hegemony, thus leading to the idea that sex (and its inherent meaning) could/should only be shared between two people who could appreciate it, or who could use it to have bebbez, or who promised to not share the sex (and meaning) with other people, and this got incorporated into the idea that the only "moral" way to have sex was if it was between a wed man and woman (with man and woman defined as above a certain age and cisgender) who were trying to make bebbez.

The rise of postmodernism and social constructionism, the increasing availability and effectiveness of birth control, and the growing realisation that sexy stuff is...you know, fun and not inherently harmful if done relatively safely and with respect to the rights of involved parties (oh no, not using biased language at all...) has lead to a growing movement of questioning previously held ideas about the ethics of sexual activity, with more emphasis being placed on what rights involved parties have and how best to preserve those rights.
    I'm a weird mix of the attitudes there. I was brought up to believe that there's meaning inherent in sex, yadda yadda, but I'm going through a big questioning my faith thing at the moment. I seem to have kept the whole "sex is something special" attitude though - or rather, sex should be something special. It's very easy to strip the meaning out of sex, to make it a purely physical thing, and in my opinion, this is a crying shame. Whatever I eventually decide about my faith, I'm sticking to not having sex until I'm pretty certain that I've found somebody I want to spend the rest of my life with.

In my mind, making love is infinitely better than having sex, and making love to someone really does make a strong connection, you give part of yourself to the other person, you're totally open and exposed (and not just in the literal sense!) That's a part of yourself that in some ways, you'll never get back, so I don't want to share it with more than one person. Casual sex, to me, moral judgements aside, seems like a waste.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

But yeah, Filipinos need only the flimsiest of reasons to take of their clothes in public; given the weather and the fact that since we are an archipelago, taking a quick dip in the river or the sea always sounds like a good idea.
    Same with Danes, it's in fact a popular hobby to winter bathe naked. In the sea. That was frozen over.

The stripping thing thankfully only happens on-stage and on the beach.

Personally I think it comes from instincts telling humans to make sure their genetic material is continued and that they have a reliably way to get that.

Funnily, that means about twenty mates for lions but only one for humans. Insecure species much?

Personally I don't mind people being Monogamous or Polygamous (except those that think they're immune to HIV for some reason) as long as they don't rub it in my face. Same goes for eaters of Lobster or tarantuella, or I will throw turkey at you! >_<
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you thank you thank you for responding. Normally, no one I ever try to have this conversation with responds. Thank you guys.

I wonder what that inherent meaning behind sex is, that people believe in? I mean, of course it changes depending on cultures and peoples, but I don't think I have ever really heard of what such an inherent meaning would be, although maybe I am just not thinking about it.

This is a good point. This need for relations between men and women likely being a need to progress the species.

The rise of postmodernism and social constructionism, the increasing availability and effectiveness of birth control, and the growing realization that sexy stuff is...you know, fun and not inherently harmful if done relatively safely and with respect to the rights of involved parties (oh no, not using biased language at all...) has lead to a growing movement of questioning previously held ideas about the ethics of sexual activity, with more emphasis being placed on what rights involved parties have and how best to preserve those rights.
    This is another interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajhera View Post
    Notsure if I should reply to that here or there - there, it's a piece of writing; here, you want to continue/start a new conversation.
    Here, probably, unless the mods don't want us to (which I totally understand from their position). I mostly want the conversation, I don't really care about commentary on the writing itself.

Regarding necrophilia, consent absolutely still applies. I mean, it does for organ donation. Without consent it's defiling a grave.
    I have to wonder about the methods if one is actively defiling a grave. However, even then, it is still considered wrong even if consent is acquired from the person (presumably before their death), from a community standpoint.

You do bring up an interesting point about organ donation.

As for other things... it's good to think quite carefully about whether something is or is not harmful to others on this good Earth. I have a zoophile friend, who would never engage in ... things because he loves and respects animals and very much does not want to cause harm to them. I suppose the question to answer is 'is it really harmless'.
    I can hardly think about how Necrophilia would be harming, from a conventional standpoint. Or even any standpoint, really. Can you explain this to me? Is it harming their memory? Except that a body is just a body after death; the person isn't there anyway. I don't know. I can understand how people's beliefs would say that that is wrong, and I guess I am fine with that. But, like I mentioned in the story/narrative/thing, that isn't my main problem. My main problem is that people ostracize necrophiliacs simply because of what they are attracted to. I guess.

I honestly just don't think I have had this conversation enough to really think about the topic, part of why I wanted to ask you guys.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder what that inherent meaning behind sex is, that people believe in? I mean, of course it changes depending on cultures and peoples, but I don't think I have ever really heard of what such an inherent meaning would be, although maybe I am just not thinking about it.
    At least personally... it's something about very deep trust. I mean... you're very much vulnerable. You're kind of sharing all of you. I think it's best reserved for someone you trust a LOT.

26. - Top - End - #326

27. - Top - End - #327
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I strongly suggest that the discussion about necrophilia should be ceased.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

So. Uh, on the earlier subject of dragon age anyone see this? Be warned, it's in yahtzee's normal acerbic horribly politically incorrect style, but I thought it raised some nice points nonetheless.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

(Derp servers)
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-04-06 at 03:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

He's a lot more open minded than he seems to be in the videos. Although I find it funny that he's going into such detail over a game he didn't seem to like.