New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Build: One (1) Kick-Ass* Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Maybe a compromise is in order, a modern super-hero setting?
    That sounds like a good compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel Edden View Post
    Maybe it will end up cross genre. Which is fine, love cross genre. We could scale it down a bit, and use a low powered superhero world, making how you use your powers more important than the power level. Could mix in things that make it feel very noir, or a bit techish, or whatever atmosphere we wanted for a modern/urban fantasy superhero setting
    What about a setting that realistically explored how society would work if superheroes actually existed?
    Last edited by Zexion; 2011-03-31 at 02:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I will be honest with you guys. I am thinking really hard on what I can do with a superhero setting. The verdict is that it will not be very different from Astro City without some heavy limiters. I'm not saying I can't do it, but I'm particularly biased towards modern right now.

Not to say you shouldn't vote for superhero (I'll do it if that is the choice of the people), but I will think you are sadists if you do.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote Modern. Love me my Urban fantasy and I like evening the votes.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Modern Fantasy sounds fun.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Modern! Of any sort.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

But I LIKE astro city...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    I will be honest with you guys. I am thinking really hard on what I can do with a superhero setting. The verdict is that it will not be very different from Astro City without some heavy limiters. I'm not saying I can't do it, but I'm particularly biased towards modern right now.

Not to say you shouldn't vote for superhero (I'll do it if that is the choice of the people), but I will think you are sadists if you do.
    nothing wrong with a small disruption. Maybe if comes up you could put some rules up to vote for that would shape the direction of the setting, as to force yourself towards inspiration... although there is the saying "write what you love" and I think thats what you should do..

8. - Top - End - #38

WolfInSheepsClothing

We should definitely make a composite setting based on the vote results. As Superhero and Modern are neck-and-neck, with Historical as a solid third, I propose a near-past (mid-20th century) setting. I would like to echo the suggestion that superheroes should be more-or-less low-powered and add that, ideally at least, all powers should be something that can be explained via minimal physics-bending. Everything mostly grounded in reality and all...

How about the 1950s, with the latter half of the Second World War as the point where the timelines really started to diverge (say, with the 20 July plot succeeding which eventually led to an axis surrender before most of Germany was turned into rubble)? 10 or so years after the war ended, problems similar to those experienced in our timeline (colonial empires dissolve, spread of communism ect) must be dealt with, but the western allies did have some surplus living weapons to throw around...
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    What about a setting that realistically explored how society would work if superheroes actually existed?
    If you haven't seen or read the six-comic run that inspired it, Justice League: The New Frontier deals with this a little bit; superheroes get caught up in HUAC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    We should definitely make a composite setting based on the vote results. As Superhero and Modern are neck-and-neck, with Historical as a solid third, I propose a near-past (mid-20th century) setting. I would like to echo the suggestion that superheroes should be more-or-less low-powered and add that, ideally at least, all powers should be something that can be explained via minimal physics-bending. Everything mostly grounded in reality and all...
    That works; superheroes being more along the lines of Captain America (super soldier research, peak physical training) and Iron Man (technology to augment abilities). I might suggest having the former Axis powers possibly still dabbling in the occult, since about half the people that voted modern specified urban fantasy as a sub-genre.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Screw modern. Its time for some historical work.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Modern.

Because grunge magic. No I don't know what it is either, but it has to be awesome and where else would we find it?
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Modern fantasy. Who wouldn't want to see a dwarf throwing grenades, or an elf sniping someone to pieces with a Barrett M82? Modern fantasy, to clarify, as in: fantasy races with modern weapons, preferably with little to no magic. Superheroes, though are fine with me.

What's more kick-ass than machine guns, I ask? Magic? BAH! Compare, say, Neo to Varsuuvius. Dodging bullets or dispelling?

Modern Fantasy, low-to-no magic, please. Superheroes are also a possible add-on.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2011-04-02 at 01:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

If we go with the modern setting, I like the idea of relatively ubiquitous but low-level magic. Everyone knows magic exists, everyone's experienced it in the minor things. But while magic has remained relatively static in power since it's first discovery, technology has advanced exponentially. The end result is that tech is generally more powerful than magic, but magic is a useful, everyday thing. Magic can be used in technology synergystically, however. Say, bullets that summon monsters inside your targets. Energy weapons made possibly by magic.

I have this mental image of a BFG that creates a portal into the sun and harnesses the heat that pours through into a beam. BURN BABY BURN.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I have this mental image of a BFG that creates a portal into the sun and harnesses the heat that pours through into a beam. BURN BABY BURN.
    That'd be far too overpowered if it were anything close to realistic. Even assuming that the portal would not create a plasma bloom comparable to a (small?) nuke, there's the issue of over 10 million degrees of heat, which would give anyone within several hundred meters (if not several kilometres) instant strokes.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    That'd be far too overpowered if it were anything close to realistic. Even assuming that the portal would not create a plasma bloom comparable to a (small?) nuke, there's the issue of over 10 million degrees of heat, which would give anyone within several hundred meters (if not several kilometres) instant strokes.
    It would likely be pretty ridiculously powerful magic anyways, making protals over that distance. Overall, probably not the most well-thought-out plan.
    ....I STILL wanna see a plasma- beam BFG somewhere. Reduce a tank to molten slag in seconds. MUAHAHAHA.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

So, while I forgot to tell you guys, I was meaning to end this first round of voting yesterday, so we're doing it now.

And Modern wins this round. We do have lovely parting gifts for runners-up, but we seem to be sticking with a modern age for now.

Now on to the second part of voting: the subgenres. Our options are as follows.

• Conspiracy
    • Urban Fantasy
    • Post-apocalyptic

You may commence voting.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

17. - Top - End - #47

Urban Fantasy. If I can't have my capes, I can be satisfied with heavy magic weapons.

Idea: Arcane reloading. Teleports magically marked rounds into the clip as the rounds within are used up. It's not infinite ammo, but no reload time is a major plus. It might have a limit of how far you can be from your ammo stash, though.

I also like the idea of rounds that cast spells when they hit. Micro-scrolls encased in them, perhaps? Summon an angry badger in you enemy's intestines. Not fun for them. Fireball spell give a whole new meaning to 'explosive rounds'.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2011-04-02 at 05:40 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Urban Fantasy. Post-Apocalyptic is kinda overdone anyway.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Urban Fantasy as I already said.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Now on to the second part of voting: the subgenres. Our options are as follows.

• Conspiracy
    • Urban Fantasy
    • Post-apocalyptic

You may commence voting.
    Urban Fantasy, all the way. Rifle squads fighting dragons and lottery commissions using the latest in anti-fortunetelling wards and homicide detectives collecting the testimony of the deceased.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Urban Fantasy. If I can't have my capes, I can be satisfied with heavy magic weapons.
    You know, the supernatural creatures and beings of various sorts can still wear capes.
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #52

Urban Fantasy.

23. - Top - End - #53

WolfInSheepsClothing

Conspiracy.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Weighing in my opinions/votes
    +1 for Admiral Squish's suggestion, I like the direction that is going and takes a new approach to the mash-up of Fantasy and Modern.
    +1 for gunge magic, great name, implies some fringe cultish behaviour with a cyberpunk edge.

Dwarves and Elves with guns has been thoroughly done with Shadowrun, and it was fun.
    Is there a way that superheroes can coexist with modern fantasy? Strong magic being covert except for those individuals who have secret identities?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Although it's too late for this, a cross between fantasy + superheroes would have been fun to explore.
    What if the Green Lantern had been a dwarf, Batman was an orc, and Spiderman was an elf? That would have been an interesting concept.

On topic, I'm going with the almost unanimous vote for Urban Fantasy, but hoping we can also take post-apocalyptic.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

CONSPIRACY is the only choice.

Urban Fantasy has been absolutely done to death.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Urban Fantasy. But nothing like Urban Arcana, please. It'd be cooler if the fantasy aspects were actually part of the world, not just immigrants from a parallel universe.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Urban Fantasy.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Urban Fantasy.

Idea: Arcane reloading. Teleports magically marked rounds into the clip as the rounds within are used up. It's not infinite ammo, but no reload time is a major plus. It might have a limit of how far you can be from your ammo stash, though.
    Fireball spell give a whole new meaning to 'explosive rounds'.
    I like that... the badger seems a little bit Toon, but no reloading time is a MAJOR plus. Having been on the range a bit myself, it takes about a minute to reload a pistol clip to the top.

My vote, then? Urban Fantasy, only because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by conspiracy, and again, Post-apoc is the tinniest bit overdone.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    I like that... the badger seems a little bit Toon, but no reloading time is a MAJOR plus. Having been on the range a bit myself, it takes about a minute to reload a pistol clip to the top.

My vote, then? Urban Fantasy, only because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by conspiracy, and again, Post-apoc is the tinniest bit overdone.
    Well, I figured badger was less gruesome than the alternative. Summon something bigger than a badger, and the target explodes violently in a shower of gore and viscera.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show