New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 must-haves

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default PS3 must-haves

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a PS3 on a bit of whim, and now I'm looking for games. I was wondering what games you, the combined wisdom of the forums consider to be awesome games on the PS3.

Every recommendation is welcome (so, basically, any genre). The games don't have to be PS3-exclusive either. However, I'm not too fond of racing/sport games (might consider Modnation tho') and not looking for fighting games (a la Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter) right now. Also, feel free to recommend older games as well (actually, I might prefer that, since they tend to be a bit cheaper).

Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PS3 must-haves

Metal Gear Solid 4, Folklore, God of War III, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 4, Little Big Planet.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The only two PS3 games that I really, really want would be God of War 3 and Final Fantasy 13.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4

Seconding Valkyria Chronicles, the game is a must-have for the PS3.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

5. - Top - End - #5

Red Dead Redemption. No excuses.
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Fallout 3, Littlebigplanet, Borderlands and Batman Arkham asylum are must-have games.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncharted 2 also comes to mind. As does Heavy Rain, if you're into that sort of stuff. Both are very much the best at what they do, which is different shades of cinematic storytelling and, in the case of Uncharted, jawdropping graphics and over the top action.

Demon's Souls is also a great game, but not for everyone. Really difficult, but rarely unfair.

And I'll second everything that's been offered so by others. Well, almost everything. Borderlands is only any fun in multiplayer and even then I don't see the PS3 as being the best platform to have it on. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the story-lite grind sort of gaming on the whole, though, so your mileage may vary.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Valkyria Chronicles is sort of the big recommendations these days, at least in my experience hearing what others recommend. It has a beautiful visual style, a good, emotional if not terribly original plot and awesome, tactical gameplay not quite like anything else. It also has a sadistic florist and who can't love that?

Beyond that my recommendations would probably be Folklore, Final Fantasy XIII (if you don't have it for the 360) and Disgaea 3 if you like tactical RPG and silly humor.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bouregard View Post
    Red Dead Redemption. No excuses.
    This or me and every cowboy,including roland will six-gun you with a double action revolver. And then ride our horses over you.
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    The only two PS3 games that I really, really want would be God of War 3 and Final Fantasy 13.
    FF13? Why? Why would you do that to someone? Throwing out a reference to a decent game in GoW3 only to try and lure them into the untold horror of FF13.

On a more helpful note, another vote for demons souls here, Mass effect is definately a must have if you don't already have it on another platform

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

What? No love for Ratchet & Clank Future? (All three of them).

Nothing like over-the-top guns paired with humour and frenzied platform action. BOLTS, BOLTS AND MORE BOLTS DAMNIT.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at what's already been posted, I'll say:

InFamous and Prototype: Frerunning action-exploration games with RPG elements! Seriously, these games are both positively amazing and absolutely worth a playthrough or two each.

Mirror's Edge: Sadly now unrentable, but it also sells for less than $20 if you can find a copy. Not the best game ever, but it's damned well worth a try if you like platformers or just want to try something that's completely different from everything you've played up to this point.

Killzone 2: Only if you want a really good online multiplayer FPS. The single player game is nothing to write home about, but the multiplayer is greatly superior to anything else in the genre on the PS3, IMO.

Do not get MGS4 if you haven't played the first three games. You will be lost, you will be confused, you will be bored and you will feel ripped off. It is for fans of the series only; play the first three games, then come back to it.

Of the games already said, I'll second Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2. I've heard a lot of good about Valkyria Chronicles too, but I haven't actually played it so I can't really recommend it.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post

Killzone 2: Only if you want a really good online multiplayer FPS. The single player game is nothing to write home about, but the multiplayer is greatly superior to anything else in the genre on the PS3, IMO.
    Kill Zone 3 is already out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talkkno View Post
    Kill Zone 3 is already out.
    Yes, yes it is. That neither means that it is better or that my recommendation of Killzone 2 is any less valid. I haven't played the third game yet, but I and a fair number of other people are still playing Killzone 2 despite it apparently being "obsolete".
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    InFamous and Prototype: Frerunning action-exploration games with RPG elements! Seriously, these games are both positively amazing and absolutely worth a playthrough or two each.
    Can't speak for InFamous, since I don't have a PS3 yet, but I'd only recommend Prototype as a rental. It's fun for a short time, but ultimately there's little to do with it, and what there is to do is pretty shallow. I actually wound up taking it back to the rental store a couple days early due to getting bored with it after beating it once myself.

Anyway, as mentioned I don't have a PS3 myself, but for multi-platform titles I can recommend from experience:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum is a good action-adventure game (even if, like myself, you're not a Batman fan). And it has a sequel, Arkham City, arriving later this year.
    - Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 are great RPGs, if you don't have them on the PC or something.
    - Mass Effect 2 is a great sci-fi RPG, though since ME1 is not available on the PS3 you'll be stuck skipping the first game and learning its story only through a little comic that is part of the PS3 version. Same as with Dragon Age, assuming you don't have it on the PC.
    - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is a pretty fun action/platformer game.

For series I can recommend from experience but simply haven't yet played the PS3 titles:

- God of War 3. I'm sure you have some idea what this is.
    - Disgaea 3 (and coming in a few months, 4). Japanese tactical RPG, extremely over-the-top gameplay, lots of humor. If you enjoy grinding, it also offers literally limitless potential for that, with a level cap of 9,999 (you only need to be level 70-80 or so to beat the story, though there are optional fights you can do that will challenge you even at the max level) and the option to "reincarnate" your characters back to level 1 with a stat boost based on the level they were at, along with a host of customization options and other ways to power your characters up.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-05-14 at 11:45 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16

Thanks everyone, I'll look into (most of) the recommendations. Just clarify a bit more, I don't have a 360 and haven't played a game on the PC for ages, so any multiplatform game recommendations are recommended as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have a PS3, but InFamous, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 are the reasons I'm going to buy one.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    FF13? Why? Why would you do that to someone? Throwing out a reference to a decent game in GoW3 only to try and lure them into the untold horror of FF13.

On a more helpful note, another vote for demons souls here, Mass effect is definately a must have if you don't already have it on another platform
    Because I have all the rest of them (excepting the MMO one) and have liked almost all of them. Plus, I hadn't heard any horror stories about it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I had forgotten about Infamous and Demons's Souls. Infamous is a must have for everyone. Demon's souls is definitely not for everyone, but it's an amazing, amazing game.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

FF13 is quite divisive, Killian. Personally I found it a great game as did those of my friends who have played it, however, it departs very far from the norm for JRPGs in gameplay and that turns someone off. Personally I'm happy to be rid of towns, overland maps and random, uninteresting side quests, it gives the story far better pacing than it would otherwise have had and it stops the game from grinding to a halt due to getting lost or you doing something unrelated to the plot, but I can see why someone would hate that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

If you like fighting games, BlazBlue is a must-have. Heck, if you like visual novels, you should give it a try too - the story mode is basically a VN with fights here and then.

Everything else I'd recommend was mentioned already. I know which upcoming games are must-haves, however: namely, Disgaea 4 and Last Guardian.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2011-05-15 at 10:10 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Before you pick up God of War III, be sure to get the first two games in the God of War: Collection. It should be fairly cheap ($20-30) and give you some good background before you lay out more $$$ for the third installment.

The best general recommendation I can think of is to hit the used section at your local game store. You can get a lot of good bargains in the $20-30 price range on either used games or titles that are a few years old.

I'd recommend anything out of the Ratchet and Clank series for platforming action. HAWX is a good arcade flight sim. If you ever feel like trying a racing game, I'd recommend Burnout: Paradise, it's cheap and a lot of fun.

I'd also recommend GTA4, Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Any one of those should be easy pickings at <$20.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    FF13 is quite divisive, Killian. Personally I found it a great game as did those of my friends who have played it, however, it departs very far from the norm for JRPGs in gameplay and that turns someone off.
    Odd - my complaints, as well as those of most critics of the game I've heard, center around the story and characters, not the gameplay. (Okay, most critics are harsh about the game's linearity as well, but in conjunction with lots of story and character criticism, not as the sole complaint by any means.)

Soepvork, if you want to try FF13, it's likely best if you rent it first. The reaction to it, even among fans of the series and genre, was mixed at best, and predominantly negative from what I've seen personally. (For the record, I don't count myself as a Final Fantasy fan but do count myself a fan of the JRPG genre, and I personally found the game mediocre and not worth more than a rental, and that in spite of enjoying the combat more than in most Final Fantasy games.)

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Seconded on Fallout 3. Had it for over a year and still pop it in sometimes. I also really like Borderlands, even if I do get my behind shot off on a regular basis.

Jerriecan

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

No, it has not been predominantly negative. The critical reception was gushing with the exception of semi-obscure blogs and if you look at places where random people can give it a grade it doesn't exactly get low ones on average. However, the people with a negative opinion are far more vocal than people who liked the game, skewering the perception if you don't look at the critical reception and whatever approximations of a popular vote there is. I actually tried putting in some actual research to check this and there is nothing to support the view that it is anything but a vocal minority who disliked the game.

Also, it's worth remembering that the Final Fantasy fanbase is as acidic, hostile and generally angry about change as the Fallout fanbase. Pretty much every new Final Fantasy since VII has been attacked for being horrible and ruining the series forever, as far as I can tell generally by the same people, even as they turn out popular and have a highly positive critical reception. So to be honest, that Final Fantasy fans complain about the latest game in the series is something I've come to expect and don't credit with much importance. It just means that in much of the fandom there is a culture of conservatism, negativity and obsession with past glory, that is honestly pretty common throughout nerd subculture as a whole.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's see.... Infamous, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 are the PS3's must-haves IMO. Infamous' combat is insanely fun, and personally I thought the story was pretty good. Uncharted 2 is still one of the best-looking games out there, and has some of the most awesome action and platforming sequences in gaming. I'm still blown away by that intro sequence. In addition it has a great multiplayer mode, and a good plot and characters. Probably my favorite on this list. God of War 3 comes close, but falls short in the plot and characters department.

Batman Arkham Asylum is fun even if you know nothing about Batman. Fun combat, stealth sections, and some great villains. (SCARECROW!) If you like that stealth/action mix I'd also recommend Assassin's Creed 2. Assassin's Creed 1 isn't that good, but the second is really, really fun. And has an intriguing conspiracy type plot, which I immensely enjoyed. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is more Assassin's Creed 2, so if you like that I would recommend it too.

As for the Fallouts, I prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3 but they're both great. 3 is older and so is also cheaper, so if cost is an issue I'd go Fallout 3. Mass Effect 2 is a great RPG also, but is more expensive on PS3 since it just came out and you can't get the first. If you like RPGs and can't get it on PC, I would recommend it.

LittleBigPlanet is a good platformer, but really shines in it's user made levels. I would especially recommend it if you're the creative type, but it's still fun even if you have no creative skill at all. Personally I love it since it's one of the only games I can play with my younger siblings. The Ratchet and Clank: Future series is also good, and the first one is pretty cheap by now and the second is downloadable. (Though Crack in Time is, IMO, the best)

Of course, I can't possibly not recommend the Orange Box, especially if you haven't played Half Life 2. 5 great games for a really cheap price. Amazing. Plus, Portal is in there which leads to Portal 2, which I've heard great things about. Haven't played it yet, but if it's better than the first it's bound to be amazing.

As for downloadable games, I already said a little about Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty. A fun, short adventure and, if I'm remembering right, pretty cheap. If you like mind bending puzzle games, get Braid. Features some really great puzzles and a confusing yet intriguing plot that can be interpreted in so many ways. Castle Crashers and Fat Princess are of the more less confusing fun type. (Sadly, you can't get any of these right now with the store down)

Those are the games I have that I'd recommend. There are some others on here that I've heard good things about and plan to get at some time (Heavy Rain, Kill Zone, Valkyria Chronicles, Red Dead Redemption and Borderlands). If I can only recommend a few, though, I'd say Uncharted 2, Infamous, and God of War 3.
    Avatar of Yoshimo by Trazoi. WW Banner by Elder Tsofu.

Trophies and Titles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protecting the Guilty/I Survived the City of the Drifter(City of Darkness)
    Bringer of Chaos/Last Assassin Standing/Werewolf Finder/Oops! (City of Shadows)
    (Shape-shifters 2)
    (Bombs Away Heat 2)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised I haven't seen this one yet: Soul Calibur 4.

And I don't really like the GoW series, the gameplay is rather boring. It's just puzzle-pathetic mooks-puzzle-pathetic mooks-puzzleboss, etc. And the puzzles are generally not even brain scratchers, like some in LoZ, they're all timing puzzles, and can be really annoying. Of course, I have heard that the one I played (GoW2) is the worst, so I would say try it before you decided. Still, that one turned me off of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Pretty much every new Final Fantasy since VII has been attacked for being horrible and ruining the series forever
    Really? I thought 7 was the one that ruined everything forever. (6 had far superior story and characters.)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you haven't beaten it already, get Portal 2.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I just got Soul Calibur 4 and I have to say, I love it. Perhaps not a must-have, but a gem nevertheless. Also, I heartily reccomend Oblivion and Dragon Age: Origins if you like fantasy. I'll take a look through my library and see if I'm missing any great games.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show