New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Caravan to Ein Arris [IC]

It seems that everyone in Khedris is applying for positions in Halmaro's caravan. In the market square, his recruiters are easy to find: They wear red-and-white sashes and are surrounded by hopeful applicants. You join the throng, trying to shoulder your way to the front.

[OOC] Feel free to describe your characters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Caravan to Ein Arris [IC]

Alyssa Tousen

A dry, hot wind stirred the dust of the plaza where the Merchant's Guild recruiters sat in the shade of a canopy processing applicants for the caravan. A lone female figure covered by an alabaster cloak strides purposefully across the flagstones, with a small wooden crate on one shoulder and a polished ebony baton dangling from a hook on her hip beneath the cloak. A padded green shirt and green pants tucked neatly into a pair of slightly worn leather boots complete the ensemble, and above her white face wrap, a set of soft brown eyes darts from one end of the throng to the other.

Alyssa pulls back the hood of her alabaster cloak and loosens the face wrap, revealing her graying brown hair pulled up into a bun and a mild expression. She's managed to age gracefully, retaining much of her youthful beauty despite her advancing years. She shifts the burden to her left hip, and settles in to wait for her turn at an opening at one of the caravan's recruiters. After a moment, she thinks she sees someone she thinks that she recognizes, and calls out to a man with a spear and some mismatched hard leathers. "Azzim, you scoundrel! It looks like the leg healed nicely! What ever happened to Esam?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Dr. Ramsy Bahad

A man in old, worn out robes, completely concealing his face waits in the recruiting line. On his right, he leans on a crutch, showing the only visible skin, his hand. It is a sickly yellow color.

Normally, Ramsy Bahad wouldn't try so hard to conceal his deformities, but with so many strangers in town today, he thought it might be for the best. His first impulse was to let stay home today, let stronger and healthier legs make the journey to Ein Arris. But the chance was too good to pass up. With so many people flocking there for the wedding, the chance to discover some new herb or animal venom... well that was what he lived for. Scientific discovery wouldn't happen on its own after all. He could only hope his well-earned reputation was enough to overcome the obvious revolt the recruiters might feel towards... well someone like him.
    Last edited by Mordaenor; 2011-04-12 at 02:34 PM.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rothchild Kalaban

I make my way through the crowds looking for the recruiters. Thinking to myself of the possible journey ahead and what it really means for my future. As I am walking I am going over in my mind of my equipment, hoping that I have not forgot anything. I especially pay attention to the pouch around my neck, rubbing it against my face smelling her scent again! It always seems to give me some confidence! On the other hand I am sure I will make some new friends with people and animals. What adventures will I have to tell my father and especially, Aurianna!

I finally track down some of the recruiters and I await my turn.
    Last edited by aceray324; 2011-04-13 at 02:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

A handsome man wearing, despite the heat, a heavy cloak, leather jacket, leather trousers, leather cap, leather boots and even leather gloves stands in the square, looking like an advertisement for cow genocide, holding onto a dog by a leash, has his eyes firmly bandaged. He is short, lean and puny, and his only weapon is a large knife strapped to his boot, but he has a lute over his back, a flute sticking out of his pocket, and great personal magnetism. He knows this, and hopes it will bring the recruiters to him rather than the other way round, so leading the dog, he wanders around the square.
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2011-04-18 at 12:10 AM.

...more scared of the living...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

The recruiters meet each person in turn, and inform them that everyone everyone interested in joining should meet at Caravan Square the next day. There will be a full day of "placement trials" before the caravan gets under way. Those who excel at the trials will get the best jobs. There will be plenty to eat and drink.

"Azzim, you scoundrel! It looks like the leg healed nicely! What ever happened to Esam?"
    Azzim's eyes light up when he sees Alyssa. "So you're still in business, eh? Esam's out in Ajir with some scouts. They were actually supposed to be back to go with this caravan, but they're late. Halmaro is scrambling to find some people to replace them.

Dr. Ramsey is signed on without much fanfare. One of the recruiters seems to have heard of him. "Dr. Ramsey? I wonder if Katsaya's joining had anything to do with that. There tends to be a lot of poisonings and assasinations whenever she's around."

When Rothchild's turn comes, the recruiter laughs. "Well, you're a sight for sore eyes and no mistake! Unless you've got more than meets the eye Big Red would be wastin' his time on you. Well, tomorrow will tell I suppose. Good luck to you son."
    Last edited by Hnau; 2011-04-19 at 09:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Alyssa laughs, and pats the crate with a free hand while smiling at Azzim. "Business is growing... slowly. At this rate, I should be able to retire the day after the sands swallow us all!" At the news of Esam, she just shakes her head sadly. "I can't imagine Halmaro is happy having that to deal with, and it's not a good deal for Esam to take his coin and disappear."

She looks off to her right and points at the throng surrounding a nearby recruiter. "What have you heard about these 'trials' they're hosting? I'm happy to squeeze my cargo in wherever I can, but if there's also a chance to make a little coin with something the caravan needs doing, well..." She rubs a thumb and forefinger together meaningfully and grins. "There's only four things in life that never return, right?"
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2011-04-19 at 09:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wow! What kind of trials will take place! Camel racing...oooo horse racing maybe!!! I hope no animals will be harmed in any of these trials! So Big Red is the boss?

I will have to keep my eye out for him! He is the one I will need to impress!

I rub the small pouch again as I ponder what to do next... Ahh thanks for the information, I will return here on the morning and thanks for the luck! Will you be traveling on the caravan?

9. - Top - End - #9

A scrawny-looking ... male? female? weaves his way amongst the crowds of people waiting to sign up for the caravan. He fingers his knives nervously. This ... this could be my chance out of here. Away from the past. Away from .... failure.... He pushes his way to the front of the crowd, oblivious to those he pushed to the ground and out of the way. He goes up to the recruiter, "I am Chef Extraordinaire Chase Taylor, able to create the finest cuisine de arte this side of the desert. I assure you Pasha Halmaro would be most pleased with the delights I will place upon his honoured tongue."
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You. You and your natural 20s. Why do you hog them? Why?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

"What have you heard about these 'trials' they're hosting?"
    "I hear they're going to hold mock duels, with the winners getting assigned to the most important posts. They'll be paid extra for it."

"Will you be traveling on the caravan?"
    The recruiter laughs. "I wish! It'll be a sight to see. But Halmaro didn't ask me to come and I can't afford to pay my own way."

"I am Chef Extraordinaire Chase Taylor, able to create the finest cuisine de arte this side of the desert. I assure you Pasha Halmaro would be most pleased with the delights I will place upon his honoured tongue."
    "Glad to have you, er... sir. Be at the square tomorrow and we'll put you to work."

As people are signing up, a mysterious blind man wanders around, playing a lute, and talking and laughing with the people waiting in line. As the last few people are leaving, the recruiter looks over at him. "Say, you seem like a clever fellow. You should see about getting a spot in the caravan: you'd be a hit at the wedding I bet."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Alyssa shakes her head at Azzim. "I'd rather leave the fighting to the younger sort, but we'll see about getting a spot for one of the other jobs. A little extra coin never hurt anyone." She flashes a laughing smile as she turns to go. "It was good to see you again, Azzim, but I'd better go and get my name on the roll, or I'll be carrying this crate all the way to Ein Arris on my back!"

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingPirate

Dr. Ramsy

Having signed up for the caravan, the Doctor hobbled his way back to home. He did not feel comfortable hanging about the marketplace with so many strangers about. The trials tomorrow did not concern him. He would attend, and might even participate, but he wasn't going on this trip for the money. His practice earned him a decent enough living. But his research demanded new materials, and an event of this level would be the ideal place to find them. He had a few patients waiting for him when he arrived home, nothing serious or difficult for him tor deal with, and soon he was sitting alone, quietly reading.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, that is unfortunate. Maybe next time then!

I wave to him goodbye and head back home to prepare for the trials tomorrow.

One last visit to Aurianna before I go home will be fantastic! Whoa, I wonder where the blind lute player is from? He seems to be a pretty good musician!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

The Trials

You can hear the noise long before you reach the square. In fact, you can hear it halfway across the city. Caravan Square is usually a quiet park with the occasional trade caravan forming up, but today it's swarming with people and animals. Once you arrive, you are directed towards appropriate lines for the areas you intend to sign up for.

Chase Taylor

You and the other chefs are paired off in cooking contests, to be judged by Halmaro's officers. These will also provide food for all attending. Your opponent is a very large man who is dressed in a dirty tunic but who nonetheless seems to know his way around the various utensils that are provided. Plenty of ingredients are available, and you will have one hour to finish.

OOC: Make a Cooking roll. An especially interesting description of what you make might merit a +1 to the roll.

Rothchild Kalaban

You are directed to the far side of the square, where a large number of camels and other animals are staked. You must demonstrate your ability to handle them by going into the enclosure, leading an animal to the judges, then putting on and taking off the animal's saddle, bridle, and other gear.

OOC: Make rolls against Animal Handling (Camel), Animal Handling (Equines) and Animal Handling (Oxen). Oxen defaults to Equines -3 if you don't have it. Finally, the mules will require an Animal Handling (Equines) roll at -2, as they are especially stubborn and the noise hasn't improved their temper.

Alyssa Tousen

Your standing as a meber of the Guild gets you in without a fuss, but you could earn a little extra cash by qualifying as a translator. This requires talking to several foreigners and trying to make sense of various minor conversations.

OOC: 3 IQ rolls, one for each of Nomic, Shandassa, and Yat Ayun, at -1 if you are only Accented with the language, as they are deliberately using obscure parts of the language.

Van Shular

At a pavilion in the center of the square, Halmaro himself and some of the more important members of his household are auditioning entertainers for the wedding. You now have a chance to show your stuff.

OOC: Roll vs any or all of Singing, Musical Instrument, Public Speaking, Poetry, or Dancing. As with the chef, a good description might merit a small bonus.

Dr. Ramsey Bahad

Your skills as a doctor are well-known, and thus there is no need for you to prove them. You wander around observing the different trials. As you watch the cooking in progress, a shout goes up. One of Halmaro's officers has collapsed after accepting the "special" wine one of the chefs brought.

OOC: Make a first-aid roll, at -4, to help the man. A succesful Poisons roll will reduce the penalty to -2.

Everyone

In addition to the above, anyone who wishes may qualify as a guard by either entering a bout with wooden weapons against the other applicants, or by entering the archery/crossbow competitions. The duels will go to the first to score 3 touches, and contestants are not to use their full strength. Archery will be 5 shots at 100 yards against a man size target.

Everyone will be paid a salary based on how well they do, with an added bonus if they also qualify as a guard.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingPirate

Dr. Ramsey hobbles over to the fallen officer, as quickly as can and immediately kneels down to examine the poor fellow.

Spoiler
    Show

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...4#post10953394
    That's a pretty good start to this game.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Alyssa waits her turn in line patiently for the translation tests, and is asked to translate the banter between a trio of men playing at being business men of long association but hailing separately from Lantara, Ein Arris and Yat Ayun. She helps the three players 'negotiate contracts' for feed, animal care for a goat farm, and processing for hides, milk and cheese, sprinkled with banter about family members' well-being, occasional use of obscure slang, and even some measurement unit translations.

She also enrolls for the archery challenge, taking her shots with deliberate grace, but somewhat less accuracy. In particular, she flinches while suppressing a sneeze in the middle of her second shot and the bolt plunges to earth several feet wide of the mark.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I walk over to the camels and slowly choose one to take to the judges where I begin to take off the saddle, bridle and other gear. I then put them back on and lead the camel back to the stalls. The oxen and mule I am a little hesitant on due to my unfamaliarity however I do better with them than the camel!

animal handling rolls

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by aceray324; 2011-05-10 at 03:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I will also try at the guard position using my quarterstaff.

quarterstaff rolls

And it looks like this is going pretty good! Maybe I can try at archery....

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by aceray324; 2011-05-10 at 03:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chase hummed a song as his knives flashed and his fingers worked. I will prepare a feast ... like nothing he has ever tasted!

First he marinated strips of lamb in a mixture of yogurt, cumin, nutmeg, and clove. He then roasted them over a roaring grill to a perfect medium rare, giving it the distinctive lamb aftertaste. On the side he did some pogaca, oven baked dumplings filled with a mix of feta cheese, parsley and paprika. For a sweet finish, he prepared baklava, fluffy dough layered with butter, cinnamon and nuts and baked, then topped with a honey syrup and served with iced tea.

Cooking Rolls

After the cooking was done, he sauntered over to the guards tryouts. Oh, why not, he thought devilishly.

Knife Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

SL: 13
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[10]
    (3d6)[5]

Thrown Knife rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

SL: 14
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[9]
    (3d6)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    You. You and your natural 20s. Why do you hog them? Why?