New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Portal 2: The Cake Is Still A Lie

Or simply reorganised the room. Portals alway dispear whenever the pannel they're on moves (alway kinda wondered about that worked too)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2011-04-27 at 02:33 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Or simply reorganised the room. Portals alway dispear whene the pannel they're on moves (alway kinda wondered about that worked too)
    Yeah. When I did the puzzle with the laser going through the moving portal that slices all the neurotoxin pipes, I was hoping that that limitation was taken out and we'd have some neat moving-portal puzzles. But alas, it was a one-time thing.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-04-27 at 02:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

I would actually like to see a co-op gravity gun/portal gun game, chucking random items through the portal to damage enemies via speed conservation if you can't get a direct line to fire at them or using their fire against them seems like it would be a fun trick.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Yeah. When I did the puzzle with the laser going through the moving portal that slices all the neurotoxin pipes, I was hoping that that limitation was taken out and we'd have some neat moving-portal puzzles. But alas, it was a one-time thing.
    Word of Valve says that, officially, the room was moving, not the portal platforms.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

That bothered me too. Didn't take me long to try to shoot the moving panels, but we had never been trained to shoot moving panels before, so it was a very counter-intuitive solution moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Word of Valve says that, officially, the room was moving, not the portal platforms.
    This, however, makes even less sense.

There were, IIRC, two panels moving orthogonally to each at the same time, visible at the same time as well. This is not possible, because the panel paths constrain the motion of the neurotoxin room along all three axes, preventing any movement at all if the rails are stationary as stated. Further, even with Aperture's penchant for inefficiency, I can't see any possible way for the pipes/tubing pumping neurotoxin around to move with the room itself without an absurdly complicated system of pipes constantly detaching and reattaching themselves to some output pipe somewhere else.

[EDIT]: And furthermore, if the room is moving we still have a problem! The portal collecting the laser was stationary with respect to the room, and thus would itself have been moving if the room was moving too! It occurs to me that the best way to constrain portal placement, then, is to state that portals must be static in position relative to each other; to test this you construct a frame of reference centered on one portal and measure the velocity of the other from within this frame of reference. If v != 0, the portal placed last dissolved. This would, however, slightly break canon in that you previously were unable to place your first portal on a moving object.

I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but a solution that seems immediately apparent to me (and preserves the "no mobile portal" canon) is to have the panels be stationary but have the pipes undulating up and down due to neurotoxin pressures. The player fires their portal, and the pipes bounch up and down into the path of the laser, slicing themselves open. Bam. Cave Johnson. We're done here.

[EDIT2]: Or, we allow portals to be moving relative to each other in space. This does open up some very nice design space in the puzzle realm, and is apparently possible in the Portal 2 engine.

[EDIT3]: A little searching suggests that maybe, maybe, we have consistency in that that spot is the only time in either game where surface motion is purely linear with no rotational component. I can't remember enough mobile surfaces to corroborate this, however.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-04-27 at 11:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    This, however, makes even less sense.

There were, IIRC, two panels moving orthogonally to each at the same time, visible at the same time as well. This is not possible, because the panel paths constrain the motion of the neurotoxin room along all three axes, preventing any movement at all if the rails are stationary as stated. Further, even with Aperture's penchant for inefficiency, I can't see any possible way for the pipes/tubing pumping neurotoxin around to move with the room itself without an absurdly complicated system of pipes constantly detaching and reattaching themselves to some output pipe somewhere else.

[EDIT]: And furthermore, if the room is moving we still have a problem! The portal collecting the laser was stationary with respect to the room, and thus would itself have been moving if the room was moving too! It occurs to me that the best way to constrain portal placement, then, is to state that portals must be static in position relative to each other; to test this you construct a frame of reference centered on one portal and measure the velocity of the other from within this frame of reference. If v != 0, the portal placed last dissolved. This would, however, slightly break canon in that you previously were unable to place your first portal on a moving object.

I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but a solution that seems immediately apparent to me (and preserves the "no mobile portal" canon) is to have the panels be stationary but have the pipes undulating up and down due to neurotoxin pressures. The player fires their portal, and the pipes bounch up and down into the path of the laser, slicing themselves open. Bam. Cave Johnson. We're done here.

[EDIT2]: Or, we allow portals to be moving relative to each other in space. This does open up some very nice design space in the puzzle realm, and is apparently possible in the Portal 2 engine.

[EDIT3]: A little searching suggests that maybe, maybe, we have consistency in that that spot is the only time in either game where surface motion is purely linear with no rotational component. I can't remember enough mobile surfaces to corroborate this, however.
    I think what they meant by that statement is that from a game mechanics perspective, the room itself was moving. As Chell, you would see what you saw (moving panels), but from a game point of view, it seems they have a limitation in their game engine from being able to place portals on moving objects, and making the room move around the objects was their work around for a single niche case. It was too inefficient to make a constant addition to the puzzles.

Note they used similar terminology when discussing the room wheatley picks up and takes around the facility at the beginning of the game. According to them, the room doesn't move at all, the background just moves around it. If you take this litterally, it makes no sense in the game world. If you consider this is them describing what is going on behind the scenes and how they programmed it, it doesn't seem as out there.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Wow, that's a ingenious way to workaround the limitation of portals on moving panels.

When you can't move the panels, you move the room! This is the Aperture Science way.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

one commentary node DID say there was only one impossible space left in the entire game (They had to do funny things while making it, rooms bigger on the inside and such) i assumed it was the eyelids of Wheatly and the cores, as an earlier node said they just kind of bunched up when not visible by the player. But it's possible that impossible space is the neurotoxin room.

Also: Move over Alix vance, i now ship Gordon x Chell
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2011-04-27 at 11:42 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    one commentary node DID say there was only one impossible space left in the entire game (They had to do funny things while making it, rooms bigger on the inside and such) i assumed it was the eyelids of Wheatly and the cores, as an earlier node said they just kind of bunched up when not visible by the player. But it's possible that impossible space is the neurotoxin room.

I think when they mentioned impossible rooms, it was in the context that when they were working on maps most of the rooms were connected by "portals", and they arranged the rooms so that this was no longer necessary to do this, except in one case.

Which I presume was the non-bottomless pit leading to retro aperture, because iirc it was about 4km deep.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    I think when they mentioned impossible rooms, it was in the context that when they were working on maps most of the rooms were connected by "portals", and they arranged the rooms so that this was no longer necessary to do this, except in one case.

Which I presume was the non-bottomless pit leading to retro aperture, because iirc it was about 4km deep.
    Noclipping around in my commentary run I discovered that the test chamber where Wheatley breaks you out actually consists of two rooms. One is the lit test chamber, and the other is the dark one connected to your escape route; you get teleported to it when the lights flicker off momentarily.

As for moving the room: As I said, that still won't work. You can see both panels moving relative to each other at the same time, and moving relative to the room. There is, at most, one static object in that trinity. Found a video demo of moving portals, though, so it is definitely possible in the engine.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Pfff, Gordon x Lamarr is better
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

13. - Top - End - #433
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Ajax x Dog 4ever.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

As for moving the room: As I said, that still won't work. You can see both panels moving relative to each other at the same time, and moving relative to the room. There is, at most, one static object in that trinity. Found a video demo of moving portals, though, so it is definitely possible in the engine.
    What you see isn't necessary what is happening. Portal 2 supports world-portals that are practically invisible.

"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door"
    - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

15. - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

-snip-
    If the room can't move, and the panels aren't moving, surely the trees are moving.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
    What you see isn't necessary what is happening. Portal 2 supports world-portals that are practically invisible.
    ...sure. Valve might be working some crazy voodoo-magic with invisible worldportals connecting disjointed space to make the scene work.

That only works on a meta-game level, and still doesn't explain the contradiction with the previously implied canon that portals cannot exist on moving surfaces. (Which may have been implicitly contradicted here, but it's rather odd to only use the concept in that one puzzle in that one room.)

[EDIT]:
    Quote Originally Posted by RPharazon View Post
    If the room can't move, and the panels aren't moving, surely the trees are moving.
    Obviously, this is the only sane solution to the conundrum.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2011-04-27 at 02:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

...sure. Valve might be working some crazy voodoo-magic with invisible worldportals connecting disjointed space to make the scene work.

That only works on a meta-game level, and still doesn't explain the contradiction with the previously implied canon that portals cannot exist on moving surfaces. (Which may have been implicitly contradicted here, but it's rather odd to only use the concept in that one puzzle in that one room.)

[EDIT]:

Obviously, this is the only sane solution to the conundrum.
    Maybe those moving panels were coated with moon gel with higher concentration of moon rocks in it then normal moon gel and thus allowed more stable portals to form. I support this hypothesis with the fact that the portal on the moon remained stable even though it should be moving quite fast relative to the portal still on earth.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Maybe those moving panels were coated with moon gel with higher concentration of moon rocks in it then normal moon gel and thus allowed more stable portals to form. I support this hypothesis with the fact that the portal on the moon remained stable even though it should be moving quite fast relative to the portal still on earth.
    There's no evidence to support this ... but it sounds like just bull****ty enough science to be proper Aperture Science. Absent any other information, I like this theory.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

20. - Top - End - #440

I have discovered something about Rick, the Adventure Sphere.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you hold on to Rick for long enough, he will attempt to provide you with witty one liners to destroy Wheatley with. He will note that it's better for Wheatley to spout off a line for you to throw back in his face, and will tell you to try and get him to say "You two have been a thorn in my side for long enough!".

Get to the end of the boss fight, having only attached Rick after this has been said, and Wheatley will say the given line, allowing Rick to spout off his one liner.

It's best to obtain Rick as soon as possible, and hold on to him for as long as possible. The one liner dialogue occurs after the Music of Adventure, which does take some time, if I remember correctly.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    "Because I'm a potato." Wait, where did wheatly get a potato from anyway?

I still don't get how GLaDOS gets back in control at the end, since the stalemate button wasn't pressed, also on that subject, where is the button for stopping the transplant, what if the stalemate associate wanted to keep the original core.
    Already been answered, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did you notice that the Bring Your Daughter To Work day science project with the potato plant said by Chell?
    English is a second language etc etc.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Note they used similar terminology when discussing the room wheatley picks up and takes around the facility at the beginning of the game. According to them, the room doesn't move at all, the background just moves around it. If you take this litterally, it makes no sense in the game world. If you consider this is them describing what is going on behind the scenes and how they programmed it, it doesn't seem as out there.
    I thought I heard that the room being picked up and moved around was exactly what it appeared to be -- the trickery lay in the fact that the player was never in the room. Your character is inside a room with the same hitbox (including bed, desser, etc.), so it limits your movement, but your view is tied to the room rumbling around the facility. As soon as it crashes through the 'loading dock 15m down' wall, you get teleported into the actual room.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought I heard that the room being picked up and moved around was exactly what it appeared to be -- the trickery lay in the fact that the player was never in the room. Your character is inside a room with the same hitbox (including bed, desser, etc.), so it limits your movement, but your view is tied to the room rumbling around the facility. As soon as it crashes through the 'loading dock 15m down' wall, you get teleported into the actual room.
    Yeah, the room you're actually moving around in terms of navmesh and stuff is tucked away somewhere in a corner of the map, like the Breencast room from HL2.

"Attempting a manual override of the wall."
    Great line.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. It's in the developer commentary.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Aye. That's where I heard it. I should have clarified 'what I heard Valve say.'

26. - Top - End - #446

Well, according to Kotaku we'll be getting our first DLC this summer.

Here's hoping it's not Co-op only.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

It's a possibility.
    Another one I've readed is GLAdos chamber from the start.
    According to someon who noclipped here, the incinerator shaft in wich GLados drops you should actualy collide with the space under the chamber (the one you go tough to go to the ciruit breakers), so it's actuallty 'cut' in the middle with two invisible portals to make the seam.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

28. - Top - End - #448
    Pixie in the Playground

anyone up for a semi-blind co-op run tomorrow? I'm at gmt+1. (I've done some rooms, not many, with random internet persons)

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skb View Post
    anyone up for a semi-blind co-op run tomorrow? I'm at gmt+1. (I've done some rooms, not many, with random internet persons)
    I've done similarly, but I'm at GMT-5. We probably couldn't time it right...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

So I beat single player yesterday and I am hoping to find somebody awesome to play co-op with who hasn't played it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    The level design isn't quite as good in some respects. The levels themselves are beautiful, but one area in particular (about two thirds of the way through the game) made me rather frustrated with how narrow it was and how unintuitive it was to make progress. Spoiler below, for what I'm talking about:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Long of it short, you're supposed to ascend the interior of a pipe/duct which doesn't take to portals. What you're supposed to do, from what I gathered, is use portals to splash the inside with the white goo, which makes it portal-accessible. Trouble is, very little in the pipe actually has the goo stick to it, angles are bad, and since you're using goo to make room for portals to vent in more goo, it's just really slow and really clumsy. To top it all off, the pipe angles at one point, and it's very disorienting because there's no good indicator of 'up' until you find yourself sliding down the pipe (and chances are, losing a goodly amount of progress in the process)
    A puzzle which actually makes you forget which way was up. I couldn't help but laugh at the brilliance of that.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.