New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Portal 2: The Cake Is Still A Lie

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Or, ho ho, the ending of Portal 2 is still before the events of Half Life...

Seriously though, there hasn't been any indications of how the Half-Life and Portal timelines interlock, has there? We don't know what year... any of the games take place in, do we?
    http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Time...-Life_universe

I'm reasonably sure that Black Mesa and Apeture Science were around at around the same time.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

GLaDOS flooded the facility with deadly neurotoxin at the same time as the Resonance Cascade.
    The help that was meant to arrive to shut her down was kind of distracted by the alien invasion.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, ho ho, the ending of Portal 2 is still before the events of Half Life...

Seriously though, there hasn't been any indications of how the Half-Life and Portal timelines interlock, has there? We don't know what year... any of the games take place in, do we?
    It's heavily implied in both the first and the second game they take place somewhere during or after the events of Half-Life 2.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-04-29 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard the value of "300 years" being used as how long Portal 2 takes place after Portal. Personally I quite liked the horribly bleak idea of it taking place so far in the future that humanity is long gone but I suppose Valve figured the Chell needed some reason to escape Aperture. Otherwise she might as well have remained in the facility which atleast had lots of high tech toys for her to play with.

To be honest I actually find it hard imagining Half Life and Portal taking place in the same universe. Aperture Science is such a comically absurd and overblown place compared to the sci-fi but still somewhat serious Half Life universe. Doesn't help that the connections so far have been the occasional mention of Black Mesa which can easily be ignored completely.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-04-29 at 05:40 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    No clue if this has already been posted in this thread:

ENDING SPOILERS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Halolz has that image up, with the words F*** SCIENCE! captioned on it. it's rather fitting :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

So just beat the solo campaign. That was great fun. Cave Johnson was the best bits though. Really enjoyed the puzzles in this game, though I realized that my weakness is not figuring out the puzzles but in noticing the obvious bits. I can't tell you how many times I've figured out how the puzzle will end but not how they start, even if it's biting me in the nose the entire time.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    I've heard the value of "300 years" being used as how long Portal 2 takes place after Portal. Personally I quite liked the horribly bleak idea of it taking place so far in the future that humanity is long gone but I suppose Valve figured the Chell needed some reason to escape Aperture. Otherwise she might as well have remained in the facility which atleast had lots of high tech toys for her to play with.
    You have to figure, she knows exactly as much as we do. It could be argued that she escaped on hope, and may yet decide to go back if it ends up as hopeless as all humanity is gone.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Barbarian in the Playground

That would be a hilarious start to Portal 3.

"Oh. You're back."
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

wait... what? 300 years later?

i thought it was 9 years between portal 1 and 2, infact i thought it explained it was 9 years... WHERE THE HELL DID I GET 9 YEARS FROM?!
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebottom View Post

i thought it was 9 years between portal 1 and 2, infact i thought it explained it was 9 years... WHERE THE HELL DID I GET 9 YEARS FROM?!
    The repeated nines at the opening?

There's no exact timeline.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And GLaDOS claims humanity is extinct, but she's a liar.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't remember GLaD0S saying humanity is extinct.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't remember GLaD0S saying humanity is extinct.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, nearly extinct. It's towards the end of multi. She mentions the last of the non-testing humans.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

hmmm, actually, it might have been during the developer commentry. although unlikely, just thinking is all. and anyway, it doesnt truely matter if it was a billion years or 5 days, cave johnsson is timeless.
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebottom View Post

Apparently if you take all the 9s said in the beginning of how many days you've been asleep as completely accurate then it comes out to around 273 years or something. I don't think they ever say anything about 9 years.

15. - Top - End - #495

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Apparently if you take all the 9s said in the beginning of how many days you've been asleep as completely accurate then it comes out to around 273 years or something. I don't think they ever say anything about 9 years.
    I remember hearing 27,000, and assuming that the counter was just broken rather than it being even close to accurate.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

maybe thats what i was thinking of, maybe i was thinking it went " you have been sleeping for 9...9...9.99.9999999999" and assumed it was years as that seemed about pheasable for a human being and just thought it was the computer spazzing out, not to be taken as anything more than a glitch in the software that has appeared over the *cough* 9 years it has been left unattended.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I remember hearing 27,000, and assuming that the counter was just broken rather than it being even close to accurate.
    Ehh, maybe you're right I don't remember how many nines were said. In any case I agree I think the counter is busted.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

i don't think 27,000 years. 27 is more likely IMO.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Five nines are stated. That is approximately 273.78 years. It's entirely possible that the numbers have ticked over, and that it's been longer, or perhaps that it's busted and defaulted to five nines. I think it's safest to assume that Portal 2 takes place about 300 years, give or take, in the future.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, look, a TARDIS.

Hey, look, a wizard.

That second one in particular. I know some people have been saying there's only one solution to puzzles in 2 as compared with 1. I think those people aren't trying hard enough.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Five nines are stated. That is approximately 273.78 years. It's entirely possible that the numbers have ticked over, and that it's been longer, or perhaps that it's busted and defaulted to five nines.
    I got the impression that it hit the maximum limit of digits that the recording was going to play which is why value caps at a load of nines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Reportaling is probably going to get patched out because that is a game breaker if I ever saw one.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    That second one in particular. I know some people have been saying there's only one solution to puzzles in 2 as compared with 1. I think those people aren't trying hard enough.
    You are correct. I already found a two portal solution in test chamber 07 (the one with the companion cube) while also saving the second cube from fizzling.

Screenshot guide on how to do it:

EDIT: However, this is most likely a solution that Valve simply didn't think of, considering how much they restrict out-of-the-box thinking on other maps *shakes fist at invisible walls in chamber 15*
    Last edited by Ziren; 2011-05-01 at 10:22 AM.
    Steam name: [GitP]Ceruton

That is all.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure there was at least one time Worira and I got a solution in co-op that wasn't the, uh, expected one. I can't remember what they were like, though.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure there was at least one time Worira and I got a solution in co-op that wasn't the, uh, expected one. I can't remember what they were like, though.
    There's one part of the light bridge co-op that's doable solo too. My partner went afk for a few minutes and I was bored, so I was messing around and managed to get to the exit alone. (We had already figured out how to do the puzzle when this happened)

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    There's one part of the light bridge co-op that's doable solo too. My partner went afk for a few minutes and I was bored, so I was messing around and managed to get to the exit alone. (We had already figured out how to do the puzzle when this happened)
    There are several bits of the co-op that can be done solo. The problem is that you need both of you to open the airlocks.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

It may not seem like it, but this is very much related.

Spoiler
    Show
    Exile Vilify

Hint: find yourself a radio in one of the Ratman dens.

Also, anyone available for co-op? Steam ID here. Located in Little Egypt (southern Illinois), so Central Time Zone and good ping if you are within two states or so. Never played co-op Portal 2 before.
    Last edited by scienceguy8; 2011-05-01 at 02:08 PM.
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Five nines are stated. That is approximately 273.78 years. It's entirely possible that the numbers have ticked over, and that it's been longer, or perhaps that it's busted and defaulted to five nines. I think it's safest to assume that Portal 2 takes place about 300 years, give or take, in the future.
    Or it could be that the announcer went insane and decided to give the audience its impersonation of Hitler from the one scene in Inglorious Basterds...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-05-01 at 04:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Just finished single player a couple hours ago. I should probably not have that huge a crush on a multi-ton computer installation/potato. But I had one on her the first game, and she was just so much more adorable and yandere in this that I couldn't help myself.

Also
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GLaDOS
    ‎"You know, being caroline taught me a valuable lesson. I thought you were my greatest enemy, when all along you were my best friend. The surge of emotion that shot through me when I saved you taught me an even more valuable lesson. Where caroline lives in my brain." "Caroline Deleted."
    Priceless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Three of the best lines ever:
    "Look at you. Sailing majestically through the air like an eagle. Piloting a blimp."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the best minds of a generation working together to create the dumbest moron who ever lived. And you put him in charge of the entire facility." CLAP <pause> CLAP "Oh good, that's still working."

"I'm methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can"

Bonus Science Collaboration Points for anyone who can tell me when she says the last one!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    "I'm methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can"

Bonus Science Collaboration Points for anyone who can tell me when she says the last one!
    Having read your post I had a quick think about where they might have hidden some secret lines and then I remembered this part.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-03 at 07:43 AM.