New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Lix Lorn's Random Charms [Exalted: 3.5]

I'd also like to point out that for your Sidereal joke Charm, barring a certain Flaw from Scroll of Heroes, any Siddie who takes that is by default going to be Essence 2, so...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    No they can't.
    Okay, I missed that. Nevermind.

...I think I'm okay with that.
    You shouldn't be. Now this isn't to say all romantic relationships should be ****dark abusive desusxlillith stuff; because frankly it shouldn't that's no fun. However a certain degree of pathos can be fun and add depth to characters.

I was assuming romantic love, and the healthy kind.
    See above. Also not all Solar Bonds are romantic in nature, but we were talking about Love Stories so I suppose that's an okay assumption.

You're missing the point. If your Solar mate dies, and he wasn't Desus, you're a pretty big jerk if you immediately stop caring about them. Why not try to protect them anyway?
    I fail to see why. I only cared about them in the first place because of the Bond. Now that's not to say real genuine Bond-free emotions can't develop over time but they don't have to. Do you care, really deeply care, for every person you've met whose not a Desus?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    Same principle. If my girlfriend/wife/whatever constantly makes bad decisions, I'm not going to trust her with important things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    You shouldn't be. Now this isn't to say all romantic relationships should be ****dark abusive desusxlillith stuff; because frankly it shouldn't that's no fun. However a certain degree of pathos can be fun and add depth to characters.
    It was a throwaway comment, and if you want to have mechanical things about not-perfect relationships, that's your lookout, but I'm sticking with the brighter side for my own sanity.

Perhaps I misspoke. You have no magical connection to the ghost of your former mate. You can still retain intimacies, you just don't get any benefits from Solar Bond because they are no longer your Solar Mate.
    This is the entire point of the charm. To regain that magical bond.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I'd also like to point out that for your Sidereal joke Charm, barring a certain Flaw from Scroll of Heroes, any Siddie who takes that is by default going to be Essence 2, so...
    I know. Part of the joke is that it implies that the sunglasses thing is a massive boost! Oh, plus a dice, I guess... this way, it reads useless, sounds silly, and is actually vaguely useful in a niche.

See above. Also not all Solar Bonds are romantic in nature, but we were talking about Love Stories so I suppose that's an okay assumption.
    I tend to think of the bonds as romantic.

I fail to see why. I only cared about them in the first place because of the Bond. Now that's not to say real genuine Bond-free emotions can't develop over time but they don't have to. Do you care, really deeply care, for every person you've met whose not a Desus?
    Then, if you don't care for them, you don't take the charm. Simple.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

It was a throwaway comment, and if you want to have mechanical things about not-perfect relationships, that's your lookout, but I'm sticking with the brighter side for my own sanity.
    See now that wasn't my point at all. My rant about conflation and pathos wasn't about mechanics, it was about the thematics. Specifically those of love stories. Perfect relationships aren't interesting, conflict drives stories, there is no conflict with a perfect relationship so it obviously can't be the focus of a story.

It was also partially my irritation with your conflation. Conflation is a pet peeve of mine I'll admit. I can think of plenty of interesting instances of love that don't involve trust and vice versa.

But the bond is to the Exaltation not the individual, you didn't lose the bond, you lost the person and that's something you can never get back.

Well that's just silly. What happens if the Bond-Mates aren't sexually compatible?

Then, if you don't care for them, you don't take the charm. Simple.
    That part of my post wasn't about the Charm at all. It was about your assertion that only a jerk wouldn't still hold the exact same feelings for their mate unless the mate in question was a Desus level jerk.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

But what magic is left to hold onto? None. The Exaltation is gone. As soon as the Exaltation finds a new host, you have a NEW Solar you're bound to. If you want this so badly, don't tie it to Solar Bond, make it something else on it's own.

All of them?
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

See now that wasn't my point at all. My rant about conflation and pathos wasn't about mechanics, it was about the thematics. Specifically those of love stories. Perfect relationships aren't interesting, conflict drives stories, there is no conflict with a perfect relationship so it obviously can't be the focus of a story.
    I wasn't assuming it was the focus of the story.

It was also partially my irritation with your conflation. Conflation is a pet peeve of mine I'll admit. I can think of plenty of interesting instances of love that don't involve trust and vice versa.
    Ehhh.

But the bond is to the Exaltation not the individual, you didn't lose the bond, you lost the person and that's something you can never get back.
    But you haven't lost the person. They're right there, as a ghost.
    I don't think a high solar Bond rating represents stronger magic, just stronger feeling, and there's no reason you couldn't channel it to someone else, especially if they WERE a mate.

Well that's just silly. What happens if the Bond-Mates aren't sexually compatible?
    Then they don't have sex. It's just one of those weird things. I tend to assume that solar/lunar mates are in love. Or doing it, or both.

That part of my post wasn't about the Charm at all. It was about your assertion that only a jerk wouldn't still hold the exact same feelings for their mate unless the mate in question was a Desus level jerk.
    Well what I meant was that only a jerk wouldn't hold SOME feelings for their mate.

But what magic is left to hold onto? None. The Exaltation is gone. As soon as the Exaltation finds a new host, you have a NEW Solar you're bound to. If you want this so badly, don't tie it to Solar Bond, make it something else on it's own.
    But you still have magic, and ghosts are inherently magical, even with their own charms.

All of them?
    All of them. It's just a misconception I have with Exalted. I always think of solar/lunar pairs as being romantically involved.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

7. - Top - End - #37

I don't think a high solar Bond rating represents stronger magic, just stronger feeling, and there's no reason you couldn't channel it to someone else, especially if they WERE a mate.
    Except there is a reason you can't do that: Your Exaltation is bound to a single Solar. You get bonuses (and penalties) only when dealing with that Solar. It's got nothing to do with "feelings", just the strength of the magical bond. I'm sure that if it was nothing but the Lunar's own feelings, Lilith would have gotten the hell away from Desus a long time ago.

Then they don't have sex. It's just one of those weird things. I tend to assume that solar/lunar mates are in love. Or doing it, or both.
    All of them. It's just a misconception I have with Exalted. I always think of solar/lunar pairs as being romantically involved.
    Well... as long as you're aware that canon explicitly says otherwise, that's fine. Still, that is rather silly.

Well what I meant was that only a jerk wouldn't hold SOME feelings for their mate.
    Why should I have to give a crap about my Solar mate?

But you still have magic, and ghosts are inherently magical, even with their own charms.
    You're not even making sense anymore.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Except there is a reason you can't do that: Your Exaltation is bound to a single Solar. You get bonuses (and penalties) only when dealing with that Solar. It's got nothing to do with "feelings", just the strength of the magical bond. I'm sure that if it was nothing but the Lunar's own feelings, Lilith would have gotten the hell away from Desus a long time ago.
    True, but not what I mean...
    The base rules for Solar Mates are just the magic. But the Solar Bond background doesn't seem to be, to me...

Well... as long as you're aware that canon explicitly says otherwise, that's fine. Still, that is rather silly.
    I know it's not true, but when someone says Solar Mate I think 'Lunar's boyfriend/girlfriend.'
    Probably because 'mate.'

Why should I have to give a crap about my Solar mate?
    Because s/he's your partner?

You're not even making sense anymore.
    I am very tired, that might be why.

9. - Top - End - #39

I know it's not true, but when someone says Solar Mate I think 'Lunar's boyfriend/girlfriend.'
    Probably because 'mate.'
    "Mate" can also mean "buddies". Doesn't have to mean "butt-buddies," that's all I'm sayin'.

If you say so. I've always hated the way the relationship between Solars and Lunars are portrayed. It seems like Lunars are written as "pets" who are lost without their Solar "masters". One reason I love Golden Widow method.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Mate" can also mean "buddies". Doesn't have to mean "butt-buddies," that's all I'm sayin'.
    I know, but I've never liked 'mate' as buddy. Just a linguistic peeve... but yeah, it's a misconception I should get over.

If you say so. I've always hated the way the relationship between Solars and Lunars are portrayed. It seems like Lunars are written as "pets" who are lost without their Solar "masters". One reason I love Golden Widow method.
    I do agree. It should be a more equal thing.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

But you haven't lost the person. They're right there, as a ghost.
    Ghosts aren't the same things as living people. They are pale mockeries of who they were in life. Without even getting into all the metaphysical bits and pieces they are missing. Read up on ghosts in The Roll of Glorious Divinity II they are different.

See now I worded that poorly because this is exactly what I was against. I can damn well be apathetic towards my mate after they are no longer my mate. My memories would of course still hold all of the emotional context; but outside memories I could perfectly validly be apathetic towards him.

Example: Lunar John is wandering around the East in the form of an elk or something. He happens across Devil-Tiger Bob and is filled with an immediate sense of camaraderie/homoerotic subtext. Seconds later Bob is ganked by Sidereal Fate Ninjas.

Now in this situation would John really be a jerk if he were apathetic towards Bob?

I would just like to say I completely agree with Primal Fury.

True, but not what I mean...
    The base rules for Solar Mates are just the magic. But the Solar Bond background doesn't seem to be, to me...
    Misconception on your part. Please reread Solar Bond. Specifically the three dot level. Better yet I'll quote it. "You can scarcely help being the greatest of friends or most faithful of lovers to your Solar companion-even if you hate her."

I believe I already covered this earlier in my post.

Probably because 'mate.'
    I know, but I've never liked 'mate' as buddy. Just a linguistic peeve... but yeah, it's a misconception I should get over.
    What about the term "soul-mate" which is often used in a romance neutral way? Also considering the Exaltation is literally grafted on to the Po soul it's quite suiting I think.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-04-28 at 06:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm gonna give up and invoke 'Screw the canon, I have essence.' It's way too late at night for this. Maybe I'll make it higher essence, because then it can be 'Screw the shard, I do what I like' canonically.

ee now I worded that poorly because this is exactly what I was against. I can damn well be apathetic towards my mate after they are no longer my mate. My memories would of course still hold all of the emotional context; but outside memories I could perfectly validly be apathetic towards him.

Example: Lunar John is wandering around the East in the form of an elk or something. He happens across Devil-Tiger Bob and is filled with an immediate sense of camaraderie/homoerotic subtext. Seconds later Bob is ganked by Sidereal Fate Ninjas.

Now in this situation would John really be a jerk if he were apathetic towards Bob?
    Although I will say that made me lol.
    What I meant was more for pairs that have been together-the type who would actually use a charm like this. Now, if Lunars John and Bob are together for twenty years, use TFH to have a kid, and THEN Bob gets ganked, John may go WTF, but I'd expect him to miss Bob anyway, whether he wanted to or not.

13. - Top - End - #43

From Pain, Progress
    Fine with this.

From Agony, Artifice
    Ehm. Wary of this. The ability to create almost any artifact at will, even for a pretty harsh cost, is too good. You could say it's balanced because you charge XP for it, I don't particularly want to charge XP for a single Charm usage unless it's benefits extend to a length past a session.

Suggestion: What if you gain a library of (Essence) dots of artifacts that you've handled, with the normal maximum? You can swap them out as a miscellaneous action by examining any artifact that can be made of moonsilver. I'd also say there should be a limit on the types of artifacts, at least with the default Charm. Probably anything without a Repair rating.

How does that sound?

From Essence, Endurance
    Probably okay.

Dedication Transcends Death
    I would have some possible fluff objections normally (the same ones you've already heard), but given the nature of the game I'm running, I'm fine with it.

Myriad Spirit Understanding
    I'm fine with this, but I'd say that you need to purchase DBT again to get a new warform. That okay?
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-04-28 at 07:55 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Fine with this.

Ehm. Wary of this. The ability to create almost any artifact at will, even for a pretty harsh cost, is too good. You could say it's balanced because you charge XP for it, I don't particularly want to charge XP for a single Charm usage unless it's benefits extend to a length past a session.

Suggestion: What if you gain a library of (Essence) dots of artifacts that you've handled, with the normal maximum? You can swap them out as a miscellaneous action by examining any artifact that can be made of moonsilver. I'd also say there should be a limit on the types of artifacts, at least with the default Charm. Probably anything without a Repair rating.

How does that sound?
    Those do sound reasonable, but it's too late for me to really judge them. Fortunately, I wasn't intending on getting those ones.

I would have some possible fluff objections normally (the same ones you've already heard), but given the nature of the game I'm running, I'm fine with it.
    Woo. I think I'm going to massively boost the prereqs, as, like I said, at high essence, Exalted literally start saying 'Screw the rules I have essence 6+'

I'm fine with this, but I'd say that you need to purchase DBT again to get a new warform. That okay?
    That's fine.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Two infernal charms ahoy? May be a little overstrong...

16. - Top - End - #46

Nothing Stops The Wind
    needs to have its time changed to instant or its cost increased a lot, right now it is to cheap for even a tick long perfect and it last several. Also a duration of (stamina) ticks would require quite a bit of bookkeeping.
    I suggest changing the cost to 6 - 8m and 1wp and its duration to 1 action
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Generally, one action will be the same as stamina ticks, as most weapons that spring to mind are speed 5. This way, it's stronger at higher essence, which is something I like to do.
    And I'll increase it to 5m, 1wp, but any more is getting quite prohibitive.

18. - Top - End - #48

Generally, one action will be the same as stamina ticks, as most weapons that spring to mind are speed 5. This way, it's stronger at higher essence, which is something I like to do.
    And I'll increase it to 5m, 1wp, but any more is getting quite prohibitive.
    yes but one action is much easier for the bookkeeping.
    I mean imagine if this isn't the only such charm but people suddenly have 10 or so charms each ending on differen't ticks.

as for the price compare to the solar charm, Refinement of Flowing Shadows which effectively is an action long perfect dodge costing 6m 1wp and which requires essence 5.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

But soaks are worse than dodges.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

'I'm the Juggernaut Understanding' seems more like an Isidoros Charm. Theme-wise, he's a lot like a beefier, land-bound version of Adorjan anyway, and I imagine his perfect defenses to be pretty much this exactly. Either way, it may also qualify for the "Velocity" keyword?

'Malfeas Demands (Noun)' seems like the wording could be simplified quite a bit.

What about something like:

First King's Authority
    Cost: - (4m); Mins: Essence 4; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Obvious
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Crowned With Fury

As the living concept of rulership, Malfeas defines all others in servitude. In the time before time, the Empyreal Chaos dashed the crown of The Mountain And The Beast Upon It against the inchoate stone of Zen-mu, and in doing so, added to his legend a tale of One King for all things, never to be toppled. Made flesh, Malfeas is no less a master of all he surveys.

By spending a 4 mote surcharge when augmenting a social attack with this charm's prerequisite, the Infernal may increase the Willpower cost to resist to 1/2 his own Essence. However, the Exalted reduce this Willpower cost by 1, as the act of extracting surrender oaths from the Empyreal Chaos stands in direct defiance of the king's legend.

---

I think this does the same thing, but in less words, with less complexity.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

I know NOTHING about Isidoros, and haven't read the book/blog with him in. It would qualify for Velocity, but it's included in it's flaw of invulnerability.

...maybe, but even if I did use that, the wording is still slightly off. The prerequisite applies to all social attacks, so saying 'when using the prereq' is a little odd.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I know NOTHING about Isidoros, and haven't read the book/blog with him in.
    Oh, he's a giant boar with themes of freedom, blissful happiness, running really fast, strength, power, toughness, overkill, and manliness. He and Szoreny may or may not have the first example of legitimate healthy Yozi-love.

...maybe, but even if I did use that, the wording is still slightly off. The prerequisite applies to all social attacks, so saying 'when using the prereq' is a little odd.
    Crowned With Fury works only on social attacks that would be an unacceptable order for Impervious Primacy Mantle. Which, is basically any command or demand.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-05 at 04:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I know NOTHING about Isidoros, and haven't read the book/blog with him in. It would qualify for Velocity, but it's included in it's flaw of invulnerability.

Please reread Crowned with Fury and Impervious Primacy Mantle they do not apply to all Social Attacks; only those framed as commands. Which is a much more word fitting then demand in my personal opinion and still works for:

Give Me Cookies!

Edit: Agh, Devil-Bunny Ninja.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-05 at 04:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. I knew I shouldn't have homebrewed infernal stuff, I don't know them at ALL.
    New knack. Expecting to get yelled at.
    Oh, minor charm as well.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-05-06 at 05:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Why does the link that says Deadly Beastman Transformation lead to a completely different Knack? Also it should probably have Essential Mirror Form as a prerequisite as unless I'm reading it wrong you can't actually do anything without it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Why does the link that says Deadly Beastman Transformation lead to a completely different Knack?
    Because I derped. Editing.

Also it should probably have Essential Mirror Form as a prerequisite as unless I'm reading it wrong you can't actually do anything without it.
    It doesn't change how Essential Mirror Form works; but gives you a new option when buying it. So no, it doesn't need it as a prereq.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't change how Essential Mirror Form works; but gives you a new option when buying it. So no, it doesn't need it as a prereq.
    Okay I was forgetting how Essential Mirror Form worked, never mind.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

No problem, you're normally right.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: Agh, Devil-Bunny Ninja.

*whoosh*

So, Lix, have you considered doing some Throne Shadow expansions based on you signature? I like the idea of a Sidereal giving extra bonuses to his students if they practice kung fu in their underwear.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-06 at 07:34 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    So, Lix, have you considered doing some Throne Shadow expansions based on you signature? I like the idea of a Sidereal giving extra bonuses to his students if they practice kung fu in their underwear.
    I... what. xD
    Not before now? XD