New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Fortress 2

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Team Fortress 2

I heard there was once a GITP server for the game, but that it died out, didn't get enough funding, or something, etc. But, it's obvious that some here played it.

I didn't know a thing about it until I downloaded Steam to play Portal for the first time and glanced in to see what other games were available. Been playing for a little over a month now, and though the player base can be very immature and trying, it is definitely something that does a good job of relieving boredom.

I tend to Demoman, Sniper or Engineer, the latter being the one I seem to really shine. I dunno if it's just got a wider beam, or the way it shoots, but I'm a natural with the Pomson 6000. Finally managed to craft one, and got over 62 kills in a single game.

I decided to do something I've never done, and actually used RL money so that I could name the gun "Vera".

I have absolutely no use for Scouts, Heavies or Pyros. The latter in fact I am kind of disgusted with. It takes almost no skill and yet is almost guaranteed to be fatal. Scouts also annoy me as they are given weapons capable of such rapid fire, than when coupled with their velocity and jumping can take down a heavy before he can turn around.

I originally loved the Spy class, but the appeal soon faded away. They are so underpowered it's not funny. Considering how you can't survive without being paranoid, everyone shoots first, acts questions later when someone pops up. So since you can't damage your own team, it's easy to just blast anyone. I.e. its almost useless to disguise yourself. Even if invisible it's very easy to get caught in crossfire.

So now I'll only play it if someone has entrenched sentries and whatnot and not too many guards. Even then, the fact that you can't zap or backstab while invisible (which isn't even true invisibility anyways, I can make out even a still thief in the dark while invisible), makes it very hard to zap and get away with it. I once was in charge of my own sentry and 3 other guys in a room. Spy came in, zapped them all. I kill him and still managed to unzap each one, plus dispensers. Once you get the knack, spies stand no chance.

So now I tend to stick solely with Engineer, though go to Demo if I get bored of hanging around hitting machinery with wrenches.

I.e., Engineer for strategy, Demo for butt-kicking.

Pomson 6000 and Sticky-Jumper being my favorite tools.
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2012-03-19 at 02:02 AM.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Team Fortress 2

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    I originally loved the Spy class, but the appeal soon faded away. They are so underpowered it's not funny.
    Hem-hem-hem-hem-HEM!
    Even then, the fact that you can't zap or backstab while invisible (which isn't even true invisibility anyways, I can make out even a still thief in the dark while invisible), makes it very hard to zap and get away with it.
    *coughing fit* Sorry, I just got really nostalgic.

You're looking for this thread, sir.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-03-19 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have absolutely no use for Scouts, Heavies or Pyros. The latter in fact I am kind of disgusted with. It takes almost no skill and yet is almost guaranteed to be fatal. Scouts also annoy me as they are given weapons capable of such rapid fire, than when coupled with their velocity and jumping can take down a heavy before he can turn around.

<snip>

I originally loved the Spy class, but the appeal soon faded away. They are so underpowered it's not funny.
    I think that you may have some ideas about the balance of this game that are not entirely accurate. On may pub servers the quality of opponents and teammates can be questionable, but if you find some good players you become more worried with skill ceilings than with skill floors.

Here is a vid that might change your mind about spy. I couldn't easily fine one for pyro of this quality, but if you are interested you might look up vids from TMP, Huey Luis, or Don Newman. If you are looking to see for yourself what the 9 classes can do (without regard for team play) you should hop on an MGE server and spectate some of the crazyness!
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The W+M1 pyros are annoying, but it's fun to watch them rage when I kill them with ease as soldier or heavy.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I heard there was once a GITP server for the game, but that it died out, didn't get enough funding, or something, etc. But, it's obvious that some here played it.
    League Of Legends/Skyrim took all the players.
    I have absolutely no use for Scouts, Heavies or Pyros.
    Pyros are a badly-designed class in the game.

Scouts take 3 shots to kill heavies. 1 shot is plenty of time to turn around. They're also the second most powerful class after Demoman.
    Spy in pubs is horribly broken, they're actually overpowered. It's just people are bad at playing the class.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

A class's power really depends on what game types you're playing (except the pyro, which really is just poorly designed)

Scouts tend to be extremely strong on more open maps (like most maps that aren't attack/defense or payload) and on servers with fewer players than 12v12.

Also, heavies were much more useful once upon a time, when the average player was much better at demolishing sentries. >_>
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    The W+M1 pyros are annoying, but it's fun to watch them rage when I kill them with ease as soldier or heavy.
    I enjoy killing W+M1 pyros as S+M1 pyro.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I have absolutely no use for Scouts, Heavies or Pyros. The latter in fact I am kind of disgusted with. It takes almost no skill and yet is almost guaranteed to be fatal.
    Pyros take loads of skill. It's not a class for beginners. They're helpless at a range for starters, meaning they often need to rely on ambushes in order to successfully reach their target. In addition, a lot of their potential involves using the compression blast for more roundabout purposes rather than just Leeroying.

I originally loved the Spy class, but the appeal soon faded away. They are so underpowered it's not funny. Considering how you can't survive without being paranoid, everyone shoots first, acts questions later when someone pops up. So since you can't damage your own team, it's easy to just blast anyone. I.e. its almost useless to disguise yourself. Even if invisible it's very easy to get caught in crossfire.
    There's more to staying hidden than using disguises or the cloak alone. Usually, you need to make an effort to stay out of every player's line of sight. The best way to not get spychecked is to not be noticed at all. In addition, you often need to take 'the long road' to get behind enemy lines without getting caught in the crossfire and mussing up your cloak. Most maps have a covered route that allows you to bypass most of the battlefield, and while it's slower, you're less likely to get noticed, and you're less likely to have someone's bullet trip on you.

Spies can be deadly, but it's a very involved class that requires practice. Additionally, their strategy (and therefore what counters them) varies between items. A Dead Ringer Spy plays differently from one using the default watch or Cloak and Dagger. Similar goes for the Eternal Reward over the disguise kit.

So now I'll only play it if someone has entrenched sentries and whatnot and not too many guards. Even then, the fact that you can't zap or backstab while invisible (which isn't even true invisibility anyways, I can make out even a still thief in the dark while invisible), makes it very hard to zap and get away with it. I once was in charge of my own sentry and 3 other guys in a room. Spy came in, zapped them all. I kill him and still managed to unzap each one, plus dispensers. Once you get the knack, spies stand no chance.
    It is true invisibility. You only see the outline if:

* the spy is hurt
    * the spy is wet
    * the spy is touching someone (unless they're using the Dead Ringer)
    * the spy runs out of power for their watch
    * the spy is in the process of dismissing their cloak

Additionally, how the above situation with the sappers pans out depends on the skill and tactic of the spy. Sometimes, a spy with good dexterity just backstabs the engineer, THEN disguises/saps the machines before they get the chance to rotate on to them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If this is a good thread for tf2 questions, I have one:

How do you find a server? I've tried the valve join random server function, but after getting on some of the worst "Premium" servers out there, it ruined my taste for the whole game.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-03-20 at 05:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post

How do you find a server? I've tried the valve join random server function, but after getting on some of the worst "Premium" servers out there, it ruined my taste for the whole game.
    I just join random servers until I find one that I like and then cling on to that server as if my life depended on it. Right now I play mostly on the my little mercs servers so you can try those if you need a good server.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

One thing I really like about TF2 is that no one class is particularly squishy. (In my 6 or so months of playing in pubs, at least.) My main is Scout, and I've killed Heavies and been killed by Medics. I've even killed a Heavy as a Medic (I mean, okay, he wasn't at full health, but it still made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside). Even Heavies will die when they're in bad situations. You just learn to stay out of bad situations and put the other guys into those bad situations.

Top_Hat, that spy video is awesome.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I find most of my servers through word of mouth...

and I feel really bad telling you this when all the server I used to play on are shut down.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    I've even killed a Heavy as a Medic (I mean, okay, he wasn't at full health, but it still made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside).
    This is my highest moment in TF2, As a medic, Killing a medic heavy on the point. Itook out the medic with the syringe gun and flanked the heavy, killing him with my bonesaw.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I enjoy killing W+M1 pyros as S+M1 pyro.
    I've found recently that with the proper kind of strafing, you can s+m1 down a charged phlog pyro.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pyros maybe badly designed but they are the most fun class in the game imo.
    Setting everyone on fire,insta killing them with Axtinguisher and airblasting them all over the place is so much fun.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    Pyros maybe badly designed but they are the most fun class in the game imo.
    Setting everyone on fire,insta killing them with Axtinguisher and airblasting them all over the place is so much fun.
    I prefer Backburner/Flare/(Rake/Hammer) myself. Good utility from the melee weapon, murdering anyone running away, and the ability to backstab and airblast.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #17

I used to use backbirner for long time, but Airblast using 50 ammo waspretty annoying : /
    And I thought if I geta change to insta kill someone with Backburner, then most likely I can kill him by hitting him with my Axe after aswell thanks to Degreaser. Backburner is betterlooking weapon though.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Add this server:

70.42.74.33:27015

The players there tend to be above average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvereaux View Post
    Pyros take loads of skill. It's not a class for beginners. They're helpless at a range for starters, meaning they often need to rely on ambushes in order to successfully reach their target. In addition, a lot of their potential involves using the compression blast for more roundabout purposes rather than just Leeroying.
    The Pyro's lack of range doesn't mean they take more skill. All it means is that they're gimped in terms of weaponry.

Compression blast is a broken mechanic, where the only real "skillful" use of it is projectile reflection.

Puff-N'-Sting, and airblasting ubers, are laughable by comparison.

EDIT: In before anyone references this video.
    Last edited by Treayn; 2012-03-21 at 04:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I prefer Backburner/Flare/(Rake/Hammer) myself. Good utility from the melee weapon, murdering anyone running away, and the ability to backstab and airblast.
    I usually use that same setup (or swap out the flare gun for the Manmelter, if I want to extinguish more freely). Good utility (Engies love having a guy that can one-shot sappers nearby), decent damage, and a secondary weapon that scorches at range.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I usually use that same setup (or swap out the flare gun for the Manmelter, if I want to extinguish more freely). Good utility (Engies love having a guy that can one-shot sappers nearby), decent damage, and a secondary weapon that scorches at range.
    I don't like the manmelter, considering the flare gun is effectively more crit-on-demand than that weapon while I still have my burner to save teammates with. The secondary slot for how I play has a very specific purpose it, and to a lesser extent the detonator, can't fulfill.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Top_Hat, that spy video is awesome.
    You should check out his youtube channel, he's got quite a few more, and some have voice commentary. Stabby plays for a highlander team and is considered one of the best, if not the best, spy in the competitive scene. And yes, he is totally awesome
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

My main thing is the complete selfishness of many players. It's called 'Team' Fortress, but I can be telling them on the team chat that we have a base in here, that's where they keep going with our intel to be protected. They're... still in there guys, I can't take it out alone. Guys, we're one win away from losing because they've been in there the ENTiRE game.

I switched teams at that point and helped win. Ignored me the entire time.

It is true invisibility. You only see the outline if:

* the spy is hurt
    * the spy is wet
    * the spy is touching someone (unless they're using the Dead Ringer)
    * the spy runs out of power for their watch
    * the spy is in the process of dismissing their cloak

No on my screen he isn't. I ca always see a subtle blur.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

No on my screen he isn't. I ca always see a subtle blur.
    Then it's a bad spy that doesn't know when his cloak has run out of magic juice.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I said I see a 'subtle blur'. Not the spy himself, but his blur. Doesn't matter how much juice it has, they aren't going to 'blur' just because he's getting low.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I said I see a 'subtle blur'. Not the spy himself, but his blur. Doesn't matter how much juice it has, they aren't going to 'blur' just because he's getting low.
    Not when it's low no but when it's empty it does blur (at least the cloak and dagger does) instead of revealing the spy. When it still has mojo they remain completely invisible.

It also blurs when they touch an enemy or an enemy building.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-22 at 12:32 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

26. - Top - End - #26

Pardon me if I'm missing something, but isn't this the toupee fallacy? You've never not seen a Spy blurry, so they must be blurry rather than truly invisible, but when they're truly invisible you cannot, by definition, see them at all.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Enemy buildings don't reveal you. Fun trick is to perch on the engie's dispenser to recharge your cloak or heal up. I've pulled an number of stab-n-saps while sitting on a dispenser.

Edit: Oh did you mean friendly spies? You can always see your friendly spies when they are cloaked.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2012-03-22 at 01:01 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Enemy cloaked spies are not rendered at all to prevent people finding them by changing the model to something that would not seem to cloak. If they are invisible, you can't see them.
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

What the guys above said. Properly cloaked spy is completely impossible to spot.

I have absolutely no use for Scouts, Heavies or Pyros. The latter in fact I am kind of disgusted with. It takes almost no skill and yet is almost guaranteed to be fatal.
    Pyros take no skill? O_o

I originally loved the Spy class, but the appeal soon faded away. They are so underpowered it's not funny. Considering how you can't survive without being paranoid, everyone shoots first, acts questions later when someone pops up. So since you can't damage your own team, it's easy to just blast anyone. I.e. its almost useless to disguise yourself.
    Except, good disguised spies don't attract any attention, and, unless pyro is exceptionally good, are even immune to flame spychecking.

Fun fact - good Dr Kunai spy can tank 1800 damage before dying

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post
    Scouts take 3 shots to kill heavies. 1 shot is plenty of time to turn around. They're also the second most powerful class after Demoman.
    Eh, good scout by then is jumping over heavy's head. As for most powerful class, Solly and Scout would like to have a word with you.

Ironically, due to good moderation and varied player level pony servers are among the best on the market now... ^^"

You can find directions to some in my sig just below.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

30. - Top - End - #30

I love TF2, but I don't love what it's become.

So often, now, I log on, play, and something just really kills my enjoyment of the game.

It doesn't help that my favorite class is Pyro. Seems like so many of the new items are just biased against pyro, and so little of what the pyro gets is really that usable. Degreaser, maybe detonator, axetinguisher. It wasn't a powerful class before the class updates started happening, and outside of a briefly-lived update where the flamethrower resembled a 15 foot lightsaber in lethality & the backburner was 225 hp, they haven't ever been even in the top 50% of classes.

Now you've got to deal with 50 ways for enemies to deal with your afterburn... nevermind that you do less upfront damage than any non-support class & are supposed to make it up in afterburn (you don't do half the damage of a soldier/demo/scout/heavy's sustained fire at close/medium range for any period of time, even after counting 10 full seconds of afterburn). Water, blutsauger, black box, milk, jarate, targe, airblast, candy cane, I could go on for any length of time here.

You've got to deal with a half dozen new rocket/grenade launchers that make airblasting harder/impossible.

But there's also weapons that just plain aren't fun to play against, no matter your class. Pomson? Stickies? Mini sentries? Liberty Launcher? Frontier Justice? Wrangler? Reserve Shooter?

I love the idea of the game, I have many cherished hours invested in it, but any time I log on, I may wind up MVP more often than not, but I wind up feeling distinctly unhappy.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2012-03-22 at 07:14 PM.