New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

Okay, quick question. The Solar charm Flashing Vengeance Draw says it can't be used unless a suitable weapon is able to be drawn. Would you be able to activate it in a combo with Immaculate golden bow?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Simple answer: No. Flashing Vengeance is Combo-basic, Immaculate Bow isn't combo-ok and is simple. No combination of rules allow that combo to work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    So it's a mech that devours love...I think this calls for adapting some mechanics from Bliss Stage.
    Pretty sure that as far as right now goes, it's just a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    As a tentative suggestion, how about switching the Solar's usual means of reducing Limit for Exquisite Bride Obsession (or whatever it's called, the Ebon Dragon's "I'll catch you my pretty" charm).
    Err, first off, Solars don't have a means of reducing Limit. It either breaks, or he continues to have it until he dies. Second, this is a Green Sun Princes game. If my PCs wanted to go off pursuing marriages, they would be doing so already. And thirdly, it's not a Charm, it's an Act of Villainy.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Pretty sure that as far as right now goes, it's just a name.

Err, first off, Solars don't have a means of reducing Limit. It either breaks, or he continues to have it until he dies. Second, this is a Green Sun Princes game. If my PCs wanted to go off pursuing marriages, they would be doing so already. And thirdly, it's not a Charm, it's an Act of Villainy.
    Most of those were my mistakes due to Exalted ignorance. However, I have no idea how the word charm fit its way in there.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Actually, there are a couple charms that do allow one to reduce limit, though it's generally difficult to do so(like, once a story, if you manage to end it in a very, very, specific way).

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Simple answer: No. Flashing Vengeance is Combo-basic, Immaculate Bow isn't combo-ok and is simple. No combination of rules allow that combo to work.
    Opps, I think I was combining the Summon the loyal bow and Immaculate Golden Bow erratta. Of course, this leads to another question; the erratta of Flashing Vengeance Draw reads as follows

Flashing Vengeance Draw
    (p. 188)
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Martial-ready, Mirror (Doom Drawn and Imminent)
    Duration: Permanent
    If the character rolls the highest Join Battle result at the start
    of the fight, the first attack he makes following Join Battle is
    unexpected. The Solar must gain the highest result; ties spoil
    this effect.
    Martial-ready: Martial Arts, Melee, Thrown.
    Does this replace the old text, or is it in addition to it? If the latter, is doing the former still a charm activation (as the Permanent Keyword would suggest)? If not, could you then combine Immaculate golden bow and Flashing Vengeance Draw?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

Unless otherwise noted, charm errata replaces the old text with new.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    That shouldn't really matter. A 3-dot ally is a 3-dot ally no matter what...
    Most definitely not. A 5-dot Ally for a mortal might be a fairly experienced Dragon-Blood, but for an elder Solar, it might be Luna. Sort of like how the Sifu background for Sidereals gives you someone who knows CMAs and SMAs, but for mortals your Sifu just knows TMAs.

Making it an objective scale would get silly, fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Okay, on several charms in the Solar Hero style Martial art(errata'd), I see this descriptor: Enhancement. I get that these are more powers, but are their any limitations on how they are activated?
    They just enhance the usage of the charm automatically for Solar Exalted. It was intended to bring Solar Hero up to the level of native Solar charms for Solars, so the guy who wants to fight bare-knuckled isn't an idiot for not picking up a daiklave and taking Melee charms.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Unless otherwise noted, charm errata replaces the old text with new.
    That's backwards, actually. Unless otherwise noted by a little "Replace text of this Charm with the following:", it's in addition to the regular text.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

So...what does that mean for Flashing Sunset Vengeance? Is that an additional effect that's always on? Or what?
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure you don't need to combo it, because it's a permanent benefit that only triggers when you win a join battle, as written. Though if you used/included the original, I think that would be a charm activation that you still couldn't combo with Immaculate Golden Bow. I think.

Total rewrites that alter even the fundamental underpinnings of charms bug me for this very reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, new question; Join battle is a Wits+Awareness roll. Would general awareness charms, like Keen [Sense] Technique/Unsurpassed Sense Discipline be able to modify it?
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, new question; Join battle is a Wits+Awareness roll. Would general awareness charms, like Keen [Sense] Technique/Unsurpassed Sense Discipline be able to modify it?
    That's what I figure, so long as the player stunts it into the proper sense.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #882

I generally also go with that as well, especially if the player in question stunts it.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely. Is there any reason it wouldn't?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hai! I just got the core exalted book(2e) and I've got two questions which the internet hasn't been able to answer yet:
    1) What are the rules for xp? How can players spend it, how is it gained?

2) What are good IC reasons why the Realm wouldn't just take the property of anyone who exalts? I mean, if the PCs have enough dots in resources to make a difference, wouldn't it also be ostentatious enough to attract the Realm's attention?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place/ failed to use proper thread etiquette/ started anything on fire.

But seriously, I didn't mean to set anything on fire.

15. - Top - End - #885

1. XP is handed out by the storyteller as they see fit. Characters can spend it to buy ability dots, charms, essence... anything really. The table for costs is in core somewhere...

2. If the realm KNOWS you are exalted? you are probably in very big trouble anyway. They would not take your stuff. They would kill you. So yeah... either be ready to fight them off forever, or keep a low profile.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

1. See p. 273-5.
    2. Of any new Solars, that is? Because they don't know they exist (Creation is a very big place), don't know that they Exalted, don't have enough troops to spare, or don't think it's worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Show View Post
    Hai! I just got the core exalted book(2e) and I've got two questions which the internet hasn't been able to answer yet:
    End of chapter 6, the storytelling chapter.
    2) What are good IC reasons why the Realm wouldn't just take the property of anyone who exalts? I mean, if the PCs have enough dots in resources to make a difference, wouldn't it also be ostentatious enough to attract the Realm's attention?
    Well, first off, the Realm doesn't control everything; other nations wouldn't look kindly one the realm just taking stuff. Secondly, how does the Realm know who's exalted and who isn't?
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place/ failed to use proper thread etiquette/ started anything on fire.

But seriously, I didn't mean to set anything on fire.
    1) Page 273 will answer your query in depth (technically starts on page 272, but only technically), but standard advancement is 4XP/Session which can be spent on improving traits per the table on pg 274.

2) By exalts, I'm gonna assume you mean Celestials and not terrestrials (DBs). But, assuming your character isn't stupid, then they're not going to publicly pronounce their status as anathema. Not to mention that the Realm only has varying levels of influence on Creation as a whole outside of the Blessed Isle.
    BEEP.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Banned

Sidereals, ofc.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    2. Of any new Solars, that is? Because they don't know they exist (Creation is a very big place), don't know that they Exalted, don't have enough troops to spare, or don't think it's worth the risk.
    To emphasis how big Creation is, look at the island in the middle of your map just inside the cover of the Core book. That's called the Blessed Isle. It is slightly larger than Asia.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I like to think of them as Adamant Castes, if those existed.
    BEEP.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

1) XP is gained basically at the mercy of the ST. When he tells you you get it, you do. You spend it using the training time and xp cost chart at the back of the storytelling chapter. Put in the time, mark off the banked XP, boom, new/improved stuff.

2) The realm is not all powerful. It doesn't have much of any pull beyond the threshold or in the scavenger lands, for example. And with the massive surge of exaltations and the limited number of sidereals and the decrease in the wyld hunt due to the empress's disappearance and the resultant political infighting the realm is going through, many exalts can slip under the radar unnoticed as long as they don't do something exceptionally stupid to draw attention to themselves. Not that the realm would have an easy time freezing their assets in a primarily cash based economy anyway. Particularly given their lengthy not-a-battle with the guild for control of commerce in the threshold and shipping on the inner sea.

Edit: White Veil Society'd (thought it would make an interesting change from sidereals/adamants)
    Last edited by golentan; 2011-06-23 at 04:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893

All right! Thanks for all the help(that was a lot of responses)!

I was overestimating the Realm's power and underestimating everyone else's subtlety...
    I think it's time to start planning my first exalted campaign.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Banned

I wasn't commenting on the Veiled in this thread, but rather responding to this.
    Secondly, how does the Realm know who's exalted and who isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Sidereals, ofc.
    I could've made that clearer.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

All right! Thanks for all the help(that was a lot of responses)!

I was overestimating the Realm's power and underestimating everyone else's subtlety...
    I think it's time to start planning my first exalted campaign.
    I suggest simply playing in a few first. Learn the ropes. Exalted is an odd game to run, especially compared to DnD.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896

Sadly, I don't know anyone who does play. In fact, all I've seen anyone play is dnd 3.5. With your suggestion in mind, I might have a look about the playground, though.

Fortunately, I think I've got the main concepts down.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Banned

Yeah, uh, we play. Sometimes.

28. - Top - End - #898

Well, that you do! How convenient! I'm in a few too many pbp's now, sadly. Once one or two games end I'll not hesitate, though.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

So, inspired by a medical practice (and some painkillers), I want an artifact or charm called the Knee of No.

30. - Top - End - #900

So, another concern of my Green Sun Princes game...

One of the PCs has both his Motivation and Urge related to defeating the Bull of the North. He intends to do it in a fairly head-to-head manner, gathering up forces of his own and challenging the Bull.

This, of course, leads to the troublesome issue of mass combat.

Okay, first and foremost, I still haven't read the rules for it; I keep trying, and I only ever get part-way through before sighing and taking a three-day sabbatical from even looking at an Exalted book.

As such, I don't feel particularly-encouraged at the prospect of using such a ruleset. And even from what I have read, the system looks pretty darn bad.

The best solution seems to be, well, not resorting to mass combat. Unfortunately, looking at the Bull of the North's Charm loadout, it looks like that would be putting him at a rather severe disadvantage; so many of his Charms are War Charms that it'd be akin to fighting with both arms tied behind your back.

In addition, it seems likely not only is his set of Charms more oriented to deal with mass combat, but his army is objectively better. They have the benefit of larger numbers for higher Magnitude, Tiger-Warrior Training Technique for better Drill and relevant combat stats, warstriders and demons for Might... realistically, his army should beat their army.

So, just looking for input, for thoughts on how I might handle this... also, before you ask, yes, I intend on giving the Bull of the North a perfect defense.