New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Fri, you're just in time to jump on board SHAFT's currently airing next masterpiece with me, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai. Besides that, their best thing you haven't watched is unequivocally Hidamari Sketch. Past that, Sore de mo Machi wa Mawatteiru is ok, Denpa Onna is ok if you're fine with really stupid characters, and just about everything else is really not that good. If its Shinbo's directorial style you're looking for, also add Le Portraite de Petite Cossette to your list.

Are you looking for a show with a great standalone soundtrack you can listen to by itself, or a soundtrack that does a very good job of providing the right atmosphere but never really stands out, or a soundtrack that hits the right notes for each scene but is disappointingly repetitive or simplistic after a more critical listen? For the former, despite their shows being only ok to downright aweful, I've had the osts for Guilty Crown, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, [C] the Money of Soul and Possibility Control, and Heaven's Memo pad in my car cd changer for considerable amounts of time. For the second option, while I'd never listen to their entire OSTs by themselves, Mawaru Penguindrum, Shiki, Haibane Renmei, Planetes, Kaiba, the Kara no Kyoukai movies, Steins;Gate, Sora no Woto, and Tsuritama are the highest rated shows (that I'm not 100% sure you've already seen) I'd judge to have above average OSTs.

Or if you're going to be greedy and ask for a show with an OST worth listening to alone that also happens to be super excellent itself, look into Gundam Unicorn, Katanagatari, and Kaiji.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I forgot! The OST to Rinne no Lagrange is pretty damn good too.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1354

You know, I really liked the Rinne no Lagrange OST while I was watching the show, but I just felt it didn't hold up by itself. Except for Try Unite. I have something like 4 or 5 versions of Try Unite saved and in my rotating playlist.

Really for OSTs, just like anything else, you need to pay attention to the specific people involved. If you like one Taku Iwasaki OST, you should probably get around to listening to the rest of his stuff. With that said, let me cheat since I happen to have an informative chart saved on this exact subject (a little bit old as it doesn't reference any of these people's most recent things):
    Spoiler
    Show

Also http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net...oser-profiles/ Great blog in general if you're interested in anime music either as a knowledgeable musician or as a complete beginner. Though sadly he lost the drive to keep doing that composer of the month thing right after he got through some of the biggest current names.

Or to just throw some more shows out there (note that this is not my chart, this is somebody else's chart. I do endorse most of what is on it)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2013-01-15 at 04:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...launch-in-2013

Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime to Launch in 2013

The February issue of Kodansha's Monthly Young Magazine is announcing on Wednesday that the Ghost in the Shell Arise anime will launch in 2013. Kazuchika Kise will serve as the chief director, and Tow Ubukata is supervising and writing the series scripts.
    Offical site (in Japanese)

http://kokaku-a.com/#

Spoiler
    Show
    THAT'S THE MAJOR?!? Seems like no one from Stand Alone Complex is on board. Gods, I hope they don't keep that character design.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

At least she doesn't dress like a hooker this time.

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    You know, I really liked the Rinne no Lagrange OST while I was watching the show, but I just felt it didn't hold up by itself. Except for Try Unite. I have something like 4 or 5 versions of Try Unite saved and in my rotating playlist.
    I, on the other hand, really like to listen to the soundtrack. The slice of life songs are upbeat and remind me of Azumanga Daioh, and the piloting ones have that specific, slightly unreal feel to them, that makes you think like you're flying high over a blue sea. And I'm a sucker for that.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-01-15 at 06:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

Is it sad that this is the first new anime series to inspire me since the year began?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...launch-in-2013

Offical site (in Japanese)

http://kokaku-a.com/#

Spoiler
    Show
    THAT'S THE MAJOR?!? Seems like no one from Stand Alone Complex is on board. Gods, I hope they don't keep that character design.
    The design is definitely different, but I don't think it's that bad, and there's kind of a resemblance. Maybe it's a younger version of her? (Although "younger version" is a nebulous term when you're talking about a demonstrably vain cyborg.)
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Banned

Hey, it's The Major looking like a sensible person designed her clothes rather than Shirow Masamune. Maybe this means they'll also give her a personality and actual flaws relating to performing her job too, along with the ability to speak like a human and not like a robot dragging up random references from wikipedia.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    For my reaction, take this, turn those frowns upside down, and delete the "don't".

(Though in truth it's a little bland-looking. Still, an improvement over SAC in my book.)

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    (Though in truth it's a little bland-looking. Still, an improvement over SAC in my book.)
    SAC's design is a LOT closer to the manga than that is.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Being far from the manga is not exactly a bad thing, because Masamune Shirow is a huge pervert with numerous fetishes (some of them pretty weird), and his art shows it.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Being far from the manga is not exactly a bad thing, because Masamune Shirow is a huge pervert with numerous fetishes (some of them pretty weird), and his art shows it.
    There is MUCH more to a characters look than cloths. Body shape, hair (both color and style), poise, facial features and expression. You change all that (which they seem to have done at this point) you basically have created a new character. Why bother calling her The Major anymore?

14. - Top - End - #1364

Dunno man, I just saw it as being drawn in different style by different artist. Might be jarring if it's in the same series as SAC for example, but this is a completely different series. Things got drawn in different style all the time. Plus, you make it sounds like a character is defined purely by its visual appearance or something. Batman got drawn by different artists in different style all the time, but batman is still batman.

And Mallorean_Thug, your description about sasami intrigued me, but I'm more interested in something that's already finished. I usually prefer not to following something as it airs (usually, though there are many exceptance).
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #1365

There is MUCH more to a characters look than cloths. Body shape, hair (both color and style), poise, facial features and expression. You change all that (which they seem to have done at this point) you basically have created a new character. Why bother calling her The Major anymore?
    That's a lot to get out of a single image, and even if you're correct about the look it says nothing about the rest of the character. No, changing a character's appearance does not equate to creating a new character. And come on - body shape, poise, expression? She's wearing something that de-emphasizes her chest in place of a corset, and she's walking towards the camera looking stern. Such incompatibility!

Besides, there's every chance this is a Major either before or after she had the body we're familiar with. Even if it's not, she mostly just looks like the movie version with less 80s-anime hair.

16. - Top - End - #1366

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Hey, it's The Major looking like a sensible person designed her clothes rather than Shirow Masamune. Maybe this means they'll also give her a personality and actual flaws relating to performing her job too, along with the ability to speak like a human and not like a robot dragging up random references from wikipedia.
    But then it just wouldn't be the same.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    What's their best show that I haven't watched?
    Nekomonogatari (Black) came out on New Year's Eve. I found it pretty boss. If you liked the previous installments of the Koyomi Araragi Gets Punched Into Tiny Bits series, you too will probably find it pretty boss.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    And while we're at it. Can you recommend to me series with great soundtracks?
    Noir's been mentioned; Madlax has a pretty good soundtrack too. (Then again, I'm a major Yuki Kajiura fan who's been getting major delight out of hearing her stuff in Madoka.) I presume Bebop was assumed, that's my crown jewel of "awesome soundtracks".

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann actually has an awesome soundtrack of the "kicking butt" variety, and Baccano! is a series with another fantastic soundtrack.

I haven't seen the series yet (intend to fix it soon!), but I've been heavily enjoying the Serial Experiments Lain Cyberia Remix (import version found by total chance for $6 at a bookstore). It's not the actual soundtrack, but I've heard good things about that.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Banned

Okay, ****'s really gotten real over the last two episodes of Robotics;Notes and it's been awesome. Also, I'm totally on board with the main couple, they work well together and have distinct, individual personalities and a rather quirky and interesting relationship, that gets really touching at times.

20. - Top - End - #1370

I would have to agree that Robotics;Note finally stepped out of mediocrity into being legitimately good in the last couple episodes. Though I'm pretty sure that if you're considering Kai/Frau to be the main couple, you're going to be in for a disappointment. The last couple episodes were just the Frau arc, just as we already had the Subaru arc and the Jun arc previously, and still have yet to have the Airi arc and the true end.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2013-01-27 at 09:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Banned

Is that actual spoilers you know or just you guessing? Because going by how character relationships have been set up for the past ten or so episodes Kai and Kona have been portrayed as showing a lot more interest in each other than Kai and everyone else, not just these last two. From a more meta perspective of predicting based on how it usually goes, Aki gets a bit more of a chance, given how the first girl usually wins and Japan's fascination with childhood friends But on the other hand Kona was the first to act on attraction and the first one Kai showed interest in, giving her a claim to being the first girl too, and her role and the way she was the one to get involved directly in the main plot is quite reminiscent of Kurisu in Steins;Gate.

Also, I'd be highly disappointed if Subaru's entire character arc is over. There was no real resolution, just a confrontation showing what the conflict was about.

Edit: And just a note I thought to make. I think Aki/Kai has the potential to work really well if given the necessary development. It simply hasn't gotten it yet, nor has there been any indication that it will anytime soon.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2013-01-28 at 03:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I'm totally behind everyone, but...

MADOKA

Ahm. That is all. I just finished it on Monday.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Banned

Hey, that isn't all that late, less than two years. I was almost eight years late on watching Read or Die the TV and fifteen years late on Utena.

Also, **** yeah, Madoka. My dvds arrived last week and I finally got a long enough cable to connect my dvd player to my new tv, so I plan on marathoning it tomorrow. I so look forward to getting reinvested in the stories of the girls.

24. - Top - End - #1374

I waited over a year to watch Madoka. But I seem to be in a partial minority of mainly watching stuff as they come out.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've never posted here before, so... hi. ^^

I was totally crazy about Madoka for almost whole last year. *.* Especially about Homura, aaaaaah, love her.

Watching Hellsing now - awesome.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Banned

My friends could probably say a thing or two about my love for Homura.

She really is amazing, probably the greatest badass in fiction as far as I'm concerned, and her story was told so well. I expect there to be lots of squeeing and maybe some crying when I watch the show tomorrow.

Hellsing on the other hand is something I only know from the manga, which keeps finding new lines between stupid and awesome beyond the ones we're familiar with, ending up awesome exactly because it's so ridiculous and, well, stupid. By no means something I'd consider great art, but for the sheer insanity it's gloriously entertaining. Kinda like Legend of Koizumi, really.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2013-02-01 at 11:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    My friends could probably say a thing or two about my love for Homura.

She really is amazing, probably the greatest badass in fiction as far as I'm concerned, and her story was told so well. I expect there to be lots of squeeing and maybe some crying when I watch the show tomorrow.
    Yes. Yes this. Massively so. Though...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was suitably impressed by Madoka's badass upgrade in the finale. To paraphrase slightly...

Madoka: "**** YOU KYUBEI."

28. - Top - End - #1378

@Terra: Nah, speculation not spoilers. Just based on parallels between it and Steins;Gate, and promo art. I feel that Frau is far closer to Suzuha than Kirisu, and there's far more Kai/Akiho official art than Kai/Frau (Link, nsfw without adblock) As far as Kai showing more interest in Frau than Akiho, I really think that isn't true. He tries to understate it, but the moment with Aki's first whatever syndrome attack in an early episode I felt really showed us the kind of relationship the two of them have, and its not one that ends with Aki getting childhood friendzoned, unless she manages to have nearly negative initiative to act on her feelings. Also while Frau might argue otherwise, kisses don't count when one party is unconscious.

I don't think I ever posted about it here, but by living in Central Ohio, I've had the opportunity to go see the Madoka recap movies not just once but twice now, in Akron and Columbus. Also, I got to the Akron screening early enough to nab one of these which is now framed and on my wall (Sadly I just missed being early enough to get the second poster at the Columbus showing). They were glorious. Its a little late now for most places, but if you can get to a showing, I would highly recommend it. The movies really tightened up the pacing of the first half, added more of SHAFT's typical improvments, had far far better transformation sequences, and shipped MadoHomu even harder (That's from the new OP the movies use). The best part however is the completely redone soundtrack. Most of the scenes without music got new music, all of the witches without their own track got their own track, tracks that were used before were given great full orchestral remixes, ect ect. Really I'm more impatient for an OST release than the BluRay release, it was that good. And if it weren't for one or two nitpicks, I could honestly recommend someone watch the movies over watching the series.

29. - Top - End - #1379

Ooh, the differences do look nice. If Otakon does a screening this year, I might have to catch them then. Shouldn't be too unlikely since Aniplex has been pushing Madoka hard at Otakon for the past 2 years; don't see why they'd stop now.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    I don't think I ever posted about it here, but by living in Central Ohio, I've had the opportunity to go see the Madoka recap movies not just once but twice now, in Akron and Columbus. Also, I got to the Akron screening early enough to nab one of these which is now framed and on my wall (Sadly I just missed being early enough to get the second poster at the Columbus showing). They were glorious. Its a little late now for most places, but if you can get to a showing, I would highly recommend it. The movies really tightened up the pacing of the first half, added more of SHAFT's typical improvments, had far far better transformation sequences, and shipped MadoHomu even harder (That's from the new OP the movies use). The best part however is the completely redone soundtrack. Most of the scenes without music got new music, all of the witches without their own track got their own track, tracks that were used before were given great full orchestral remixes, ect ect. Really I'm more impatient for an OST release than the BluRay release, it was that good. And if it weren't for one or two nitpicks, I could honestly recommend someone watch the movies over watching the series.
    MadoHomu? *__* AAAAAAAAAAA~! <dead> And I won't be able to see the movies in the theathre, uh.