New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sad? [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Sad? [3.5]

Which base classes are Single Attribute Dependent or can be made Single Attribute Dependent (and how)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Sad? [3.5]

Wizards with Int. Dex is a minor for hitting with touch attacks, but touch ACs are already pretty easy to hit.

Druids with Wis. You can use Wildshape at later levels to compensate for any physical stats as long as Natural Spell is allowed.

Clerics can be pretty easy with standard DMM Persist builds, using their persisted spells to boost their attack and damage to compensate for low Str. You don't really need Dex with Plate Armor and since you're fueling your DMM with turning attempts Cha is probably useless for you. Cloistered Cleric takes care of the skill points you would need from Int. If you plan on being ranged you can always take Zen Archery.
    Last edited by zanetheinsane; 2011-12-24 at 12:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonfire adepts only really need Con. I think some Incarnum is the same way, but I've never played with it. I believe it's just incarnates though, since most totemist uses I see here are physical.

Warlock is often cited as being NAD, but focusing on dexterity or charisma is still quite beneficial if you have the option to have a good stat.

Psions and erudites can dump everything but Int and still salvage incredible survivability purely on handy psionic techniques. Ardents can manage it as well (same PP pool) using a more caster-ly selection of mantles, but that's more specialized and pidgeonholed compared to how a normal ardent would be playing.

Archivists can be played pretty much the same as a wizard with various methods, and be relatively safe for it. They can also just do wisdom-based archery pretty dang well, and that's a decently safe job, so they can keep contributing as physical combatants if they want to.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-12-24 at 02:30 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Be an Elan and go Paladin 4/Sanctified Mind 1/War Mind 5/Sanctified Mind 2-6

Take Serenity (dragon mag), Intuitive Attack (BoED), and Enhanced Elan Resilience (CPsi), and make sure to purchase a monk's belt.

You have Wis based Turn Undead, Saves, To-Hit, AC, and HP, with full BAB and 15th level Psychic Warrior abilities, along with room to customize some psionic and divine powers. You're almost completely wisdom SAD.

Credit to Person_Man here

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SADness usually ignores the fact that almost everyone needs Con, mind. If you include that, only undead characters or int-based classes with that ridiculous Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat would truly qualify. A factotum or wizard with Faerie Mysteries Initiate is ridiculously SAD. (Though, they can still benefit from dex -- they just don't strictly require it.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2011-12-24 at 01:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

binders, too, are pretty much NAD -- charisma is nice in some cases, and everyone like con, but the best vestiges don't even care about charisma.

they can even get a few co-stacking insight to init if they dump dex.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2011-12-24 at 01:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

You can make a monk/swashbuckler pretty int dependent. (Dex is secondary.) A monk feat replaces your Wis to AC with Int., (Kung Fu Genius.) You can use faerie initiate to replace your con bonus to HP with Int. Keen Intellect replaces Wis with Int for will saves. Swashbuckler adds Int mod to damage against foes vulnerable to critical hits.

Dex is the only other stat that matters. If you are going 32 point buy and allow flaws, 18 Dex 18 Int would work mechanically. Lesser Tiefling gives you a further +2 to both Int and Dex. But your Dex does not have to be that high. It is only secondary.

Of course, that means you have to play a monk/swashbuckler. Better go Swashbuckler 3/Monk 1/Warblade X
    Last edited by SowZ; 2011-12-24 at 02:12 PM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I think some Incarnum is the same way, but I've never played with it. I believe it's just incarnates though, since most totemist uses I see here are physical.
    Actually, Totemists are the ones that use only CON. Incarnates use CON and WIS.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that makes more sense. I should have left Incarnum to someone else to bring up.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    There is a feat somewhere, in one of the campaign setting books I believe, which lets elves partake of some special ritual which lets them use their Int for hit points in place of Con.
    has been mentioned already, faerie mysteries initiate [regional].

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

There is also a Ritual in one of the Ebberron Books that let's you get Cha to HP even if you arn't undead.

So a Sorcerer 8 /PrC 10/ Battle Dancer 1/ Witch Hunter 1 with that ritual would let you use Cha for spells, AC bonus, Saves and HP. You don't really need attacks since your a pretty close to a full caster and thus all your attacks are touch attacks and you can use other spells to buff your too hit and/or Debuff your opponents touch AC.

Bard with either Slippers of Battle Dancing or Snowflake Wardance can do more or less the same thing if desired.
    "I Burn!"