New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fake Art on the Internet

Just wanted to share a site that I made up about a week ago. Its main focus is fake art that is being bought and sold throughout the world wide web.

Just curious to know if you or anyone you know has bought something questionable on the internet. Or just to share your thoughts about fake art. It would be cool to hear about it.

www.fakeartonline.com

Thanks everyone!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fake Art on the Internet

That's... certainly unusual for a site. Not quite sure what to make of it.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    That's... certainly unusual for a site. Not quite sure what to make of it.
    Yes sir. Ive had some mixed feelings about it. But its an issue that needs to be addressed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks to me like they're out to make money off you... asking for email addresses before it gives any real information at least, but whatever.

On the subject of fake art, though. We watched a documentary in Art Appreciation titled "Who the $@&! is Jackson Polluck?" (The explative's really all symbols in the title) abotu a woman who had found a painting and was trying to get it confirmed that it was a real Jackson Polluck painting. For those of you unfamiliar with him, he's the guy who did all that splatter art on the huge canvases. They had a bunch of so called art experts look at the thing and they determined it wasn't a real Jackson Polluck. The lady didn't give up, though, and got a detective/PI to look at it. He found a fingerprint on the back of the painting and matched it to one found in Polluck's studio and on another legitimate painting and the art guys /still/ wouldn't believe it was a real painting.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Thats very interesting. With fine art these days, its hard to tell whats real or fake. So many people have faked paintings then sell them to unexpected buyers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Any tips on verifying art from someone famous ( or infamous ) who is not known from their art? I have some pieces I think were made by a local mass-murderer, & they have his initials on them, but he wasn't a known artist so we can't compare to his other works.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I can see, the site focuses on exposing art that is being deceptively sold as some old master's authentic work, and teaching you how to identify such art. What's not to like?
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's Jackson Pollock.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Any tips on verifying art from someone famous ( or infamous ) who is not known from their art? I have some pieces I think were made by a local mass-murderer, & they have his initials on them, but he wasn't a known artist so we can't compare to his other works.
    Whats his name? That kind of art is highly collectible!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    As far as I can see, the site focuses on exposing art that is being deceptively sold as some old master's authentic work, and teaching you how to identify such art. What's not to like?
    Thanks for the thumbs up! I tell ya, alot of mixed feelings about it. But Its kind of what I expected. Its more of a taboo subject. But thats what I was trying to do. If more people had the common knowledge of collecting art, they would know what to look for. But todays collector reads about the artists life, not about the way they made their art. So many people get scammed out of their money because of not know what to look for.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fakespy View Post
    Whats his name? That kind of art is highly collectible!
    How much does that painting cost? 3.5 million! That surely must be a Pontormo! A Zodiac you say? Who is he... oh....
    And that one? That seems like a Pollock, oh, it's a ... blood spatter in a brick... You say it's a Ripper? A blood spatter on a brick taken from a Ripper crime scene in London... how do you even authenticate that!
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyan View Post
    It's Jackson Pollock.
    I had a feeling I was spelling it wrong. Thanks.

Oh, and I think I saw on a documentary once that they had a bit of bloodsplatter on a woman's shawl from a Jack the Ripper attack. of course it's all next to impossible to prove these days. But I really don't think that counts as art.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

His name was Michael McLendon. He killed 10 across a few Alabama counties in 2009. I had a consignment shop at the time, and soon after the spree, some woman brought me these saying that she "couldn't bear to have them around anymore," and then left.
    Last edited by Kislath; 2011-06-13 at 08:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

His name was Michael McLendon. He killed 10 across a few Alabama counties in 2009. I had a consignment shop at the time, and soon after the spree, some woman brought me these saying that she "couldn't bear to have them around anymore," and then left.
    No way, thats awesome! What were the things that she brought to you?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    I had a feeling I was spelling it wrong. Thanks.

Oh, and I think I saw on a documentary once that they had a bit of bloodsplatter on a woman's shawl from a Jack the Ripper attack. of course it's all next to impossible to prove these days. But I really don't think that counts as art.
    I agree, things of that nature cant be authenticated. However with the right technology, you can pull an xray off the Pollock to see the techs of how the painting was created.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

The best thing to do in your case, being that he was a local artist. Find someone with an original, and compare the 2. Though no 2 signatures are never the same, it will be a bit easier for you to tell the similarities and consistency of the instals. If you can put a photo up of it, and ill see what I can find out about it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm probably the least likely person to say this but...you can edit your posts so you don't have to double or triple post
    On another note, it is an interesting premise for a website.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2011-06-14 at 12:54 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fakespy View Post
    The best thing to do in your case, being that he was a local artist. Find someone with an original, and compare the 2. Though no 2 signatures are never the same, it will be a bit easier for you to tell the similarities and consistency of the instals. If you can put a photo up of it, and ill see what I can find out about it.
    as the person stated, they weren't known to be an artist, so there IS no other works to compare to.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Yes, that's the main problem. I don't know the lady who brought them so I can't ask her anything, and I haven't heard of anything else by him. These aren't very good, by the way, and some aren't even finished. I'll try to post a pic. ( paintings )
    Last edited by Kislath; 2011-06-15 at 02:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

You could see if there's anything else he's signed to compare it with. Also tracking down and talking to anyone who knew him, get a description of the woman and see if anyone knows her, talk to a local historian or maybe the police involved...

Can't remember who it was, but there was an artist who did amazing copies of famous works of art. From what I understand, they were practically perfect and probably could have been passed off as genuine. However, that wasn't his goal, so he always had some flaw painted into it - I think one he wrote his name in lead paint under the painting itself. His paintings themselves are now worth a substantial amount of money.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    You could see if there's anything else he's signed to compare it with. Also tracking down and talking to anyone who knew him, get a description of the woman and see if anyone knows her, talk to a local historian or maybe the police involved...

Can't remember who it was, but there was an artist who did amazing copies of famous works of art. From what I understand, they were practically perfect and probably could have been passed off as genuine. However, that wasn't his goal, so he always had some flaw painted into it - I think one he wrote his name in lead paint under the painting itself. His paintings themselves are now worth a substantial amount of money.
    Yes, do just that. If the artist was local, then head to the library. If you can make out the name of the artist then you should be able to find local records of that person. Just keep with it, youll find something sooner or later if you keep trying. Find a lead, go for another one. Just ask around, esp. the older folks, as they might be closer to the era of the artist.

You know, I remember reading this not too long ago. But I can not for the life of me remember what that artists name is. If you happen to remember, let me know. Cause I would love to post that article on my site.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Updated the site just a bit, swing by and let me know what you think!