New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Crafting Healer's Kits?

I won't say that Healer's Kits are a good value proposition on their own. But, I've got a class that gives them a scaling heal value of Heal Check -14, on top of Fast Healing and all that goodness.

So, obviously, I'm going to want quite a few of these, but they are somewhat expensive for low levels. Can I craft them using Craft(Alchemy)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crafting Healer's Kits?

Sorta: Leechwort allows you to restock a kit for half price, or free for prof(herbalist).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Sorta: Leechwort allows you to restock a kit for half price, or free for prof(herbalist).
    How do herbalists get it for free? I get the idea of foraging, but are there rules for that aside from fluffing the profession roll as getting you actual items directly, rather than gold?

4. - Top - End - #4

I'd say a Craft(Alchemy) check, or maybe Profession(Medic) or (Herbalist) [if the DM allows], or even also a Healing check [still ask the DM]. After all, supposedly, someone who knows how to administer cures, would also know how to replenish his bag of tricks - or at least know where to look for the stuff to refresh it.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2018-01-29 at 08:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I found Leechwort again, when I went looking for things to spend my money on. It says here it's only 3 gold, and doesn't have the same effects as the link you shared.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    I found Leechwort again, when I went looking for things to spend my money on. It says here it's only 3 gold, and doesn't have the same effects as the link you shared.
    Different books, same basic item.
    25gp is from Heroes of the Wild
    3gp is Ultimate Wilderness
    They have similar requirements/bonuses, but...yeah.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Different books, same basic item.
    25gp is from Heroes of the Wild
    3gp is Ultimate Wilderness
    They have similar requirements/bonuses, but...yeah.
    Ah ok. Thanks.

8. - Top - End - #8

I know which class you are talking about. Got one, too. If you don't want to craft Healer Kits, you can a Vest of Surgery, too. Alternatively, you can use a Specialized Healer's Satchel. Has limited uses per day, but provides additional benefits. I actually propose that doubling the cost of the vest should provide those extra uses, too. It reduces simply the number of items you lug around, without providing much of bonus compared to having both magic items. Diagnosis is out of combat, as is long-term care, but the latter is unlikely the normal scholar healing abilities. First Aid is also unlikely to be used. Treatment is inferior to Panacea, once you manage hit the DC 30. And if you aren't a scholar, even if the effects are then unlimited, they still don't unbalance the game.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, paying 1500 gp for 50 gp a day is...an interesting proposition, certainly, lol. The surgery vest for free ability point heal is cool. Though, if you could make the heal check, you could already heal 2 ability points for the cost of a charge of a healer's kit.
    Sub par options as far as cost savings go.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, even if you pay 6000 gp, at level 20 with an Int score of 36, you can heal your party 13 times per day. That means, that splurging on healings you get these numbers:

Number of Days, when using maximum Heal usages
    if bought 23,07692 18,46154 15,38462
    if crafted 69,23077 55,38462 46,15385

Columns designate an average party size of 4, 5, and 6 respectively. Those days only count time spent on level 20, so with the previous levels, the numbers are actually lower. If you have a party, which doesn't have much in daily resources, you could actually keep going nearly 24 hours (just get rings of sustenance). It takes a dedicated group to go that route. Or one which doesn't have the downtime to craft stuff. Following is the table of various craft DCs and check results (I couldn't find one for the healer's kit):

Craft DC Check Result Time needed
    15 15 15.6
    15 20 11.7
    15 25 9.3
    15 30 7.8
    20 20 8.8
    20 25 7
    20 30 5.8
    25 25 5.6
    25 30 4.7

All in all, my proposal may not be the best one for copper-saving people, unless you intend to exceed the 1200 or 3600 usages, but it allows to save time and is more convenient.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"