New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Megadungeon One (IC)

Travelling from far and wide for their own varying reasons, Keylin Lakar, Leodric Savagekin, Gabriel Valteir, and Ekin 'Quickfix' Lodert of the Glanydd have found themselves in the great city of Endeesy. It can't compare in magnificence, wealth, or amenities to the other capitols of the world. It offers only two things: first, almost anyone can find a way to fit in in this city of misfits; and second, even keeping the king's peace is almost beyond the military's ability, so non-violent offenses that might be crimes in other nations are overlooked here. So Endeesy, like its predecessor the Disreputable City, has naturally become a hub for pirates, smugglers, and adventurers alike.

But Endeesy has even more to offer than even the Disreputable City did in its heyday, for the lands north of the city are peppered with unexplored caves and ruins both ancient and recent, filled with fruits ripe for the plucking by those adventurers brave enough to seek them out.

That's where you come in, finding yourselves in the grand Adventurer's Guildhall. Barely more than an oversized tavern, really, the draw of the Adventurer's Guild for adventurers is that here one may encounter like-minded adventurers with whom to form a team, and then one may consult the Bulletin Board by the door for a myriad of opportunities. (The draw for everyone else is, of course, that one may post a bounty on the bulletin board and eventually it will be done, if the reward is high enough.)

Currently posted on the corkboard, there is a map:
    Spoiler
    Show

...and a number of bounties (in no particular order):
    Spoiler
    Show

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:

The king desires, to be brought before him for marriage, the most beautiful woman to be found in the all the reaches of the cosmos, whomsoever she may be.
    The reward to any man who brings such a woman to the King shall earn the eternal gratitude of the kingdom and ten thousand platinum coins, or some equivalent favour.

Addendum from the Dowager Queen:
    This woman must additionally be clever, competent, capable of defending herself in battle, and should preferably bring an alliance to some powerful nation.
    If these conditions are met, the queen will see to it that he who completes this task shall have his greatest desire fulfilled to the greatest extent of possibility.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Sir Peph of the Kingsguard offers a bounty to any who would explore the ruins of Mat~sya and the Disreputable City on the slopes of Mount Dis. Somewhere, deep within the ruins, is rumoured to lie the tomb of Gus Dreadworm, bloodthirsty pirate king of legend.
    Return with specific instructions, or preferably a map, and Sir Peph will part with his +1 cutlass and ten thousand gold.

Spoiler
    Show

Sir Randolph of the Kingsguard offers the following standing bounties:

1,000 gold for the head or plate and horns of a brass dragon.
    1,500 gold for the head or horns and frill of a silver dragon.
    2,000 gold for the head or horns of a copper dragon.
    2,500 gold for the head or crest of a bronze dragon.
    7,500 gold for the head or barbels of a gold dragon.
    Juvenile or younger dragons shall earn half the listed bounty, while old and older dragons shall earn twice the listed bounty.

Additionally:
    500 gold for the head of a metallic half-dragon of any race.
    250 gold for the head of an individual of any race partially descended from a metallic dragon.
    750 gold for the head of any Dragonborn of Bahamut, who are always metallic.

Moreover:
    2,500 gold for a live chromatic half-dragon female of any race.
    1,250 gold for a live female of any race partially descended from a chromatic dragon.

Spoiler
    Show

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:

As befits a state of war between two nations, the king offers a standing bounty for the destruction, capture, or other removal from engineer hands, of any engineer-controlled submarine.
    This shall earn a captain a letter of marque and official status as a privateer for the kingdom of Gus, with all the rights and responsibilities due thereto. Additionally, a reward of 1,500 platinum coins per submarine shall be granted.

Additionally, engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, captured while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 25 platinum coins per captive.
    The heads of engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, killed while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 10 platinum coins per head.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

As many may already be aware, the countryside has been plagued by foul and fiendish beasts, issuing forth from the caves and mines of Mount Dis. As a protector of the Realm, I feel it my duty to investigate, but other duties keep me occupied between N.D.C. and the Omorashi border. As such, I issue the following bounties:
    > For concrete, verifiable information regarding the ultimate source of the infestation: 2,500 gold
    > For a detailed map leading from the surface to the ultimate source of the infestation: 5,000 gold
    > For the temporary or permanent stoppage of the infestation, by any means: 50,000 gold
    Bounty posted by Sir Nakazawa of the Kingsguard

Additionally, Sir Ravenwood of the Kingsguard
    offers gold for detailed maps of the complete
    cave system, for other use. A copy of a map
    for each level or section shall be rewarded
    with 1,000 gold pieces.

Spoiler
    Show

Sir Winden of the Kingsguard seeks the flesh of a recently-slain Shrieker Mushroom, as it is the primary ingredient in the only known remedy for an intractable plague of Spelunker’s Itch currently seizing the city of Endeesy.
    The flesh of the Shrieker is worth twice its weight in copper coins to Sir Winden, or 1 gold piece per pound. The average Shrieker may contain upwards of 150 pounds of flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

The proprietors of the Tiv-Beckett Cold-Iron Mine seeks adventurers to clean out the primary mine system, which has become unaccountably infested with monstrously huge centipedes and other vermin.

To that end, they shall pay one silver coin for each dead centipede.

To any adventuring party which engineers some permanent solution to the problem, they shall give a complete set of weapons or armor forged of cold-iron, one item of their choice to each member of the group.

Spoiler
    Show

Sir Bill of the Kingsguard seeks a worthy mount:
    Some flying beast,
    alive and unharmed,
    large enough to comfortably carry a full-grown man,
    young and intelligent enough to tame,
    healthy enough to live for quite some time
    The quality of the beast shall determine the amount of the reward.

Spoiler
    Show

Seeking the following effects, in any form – spell, scroll, wand, wish or limited wish, or miscellaneous:

Animate Object and Permanency
    Stone to Flesh
    Awaken Construct

See Pumayyaton the Sculptor. Rewards include a powerful elephant statuette, a taciturn yet loyal Dread Guard, a snarky yet effective sword, or elegant custom-crafted statuary.

Spoiler
    Show

GLADIATORS WANTED
    SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
    PROVE YOUR METTLE
    EARN FABULOUS PRIZES
    ENTERTAIN THE CROWD
    INQUIRE AT THE SAINT AROSSI TEMPLE OF KORD AND ARENA COMPLEX
    NO ENTRY FEE

Spoiler
    Show

CREATURES WANTED
    WE NEED LIVE, DANGEROUS BEASTS
    TO CHALLENGE ENTRANTS IN THE ARENA
    REWARD FOR EACH MONSTER
    INQUIRE AT THE SAINT AROSSI TEMPLE OF KORD AND ARENA COMPLEX

Spoiler
    Show

REWARD:
    Information sought leading to the whereabouts of a band of evil adventurers who broke into the monastery on Perch Hill, terrorized the monks, and murdered Prior Trakis, a paladin of the faith. See Abbot Waxter at the Monastery with any information.
    Be on the lookout for a group consisting of:

> an orc-descended man, in possession of a horse
    > an engineer man
    > an Omorashi human woman
    > three additional human or elf men

Be warned: these individuals are armed and extremely dangerous. They may be in league with an evil erinyes devil – this creature is very powerful and should not be engaged without proper training. They may also be in possession of copies of several volumes of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil – if found, these books should not be read and may be returned to the Monastery for an additional reward.

Authorized by Pelor’s Archbishop of Shell, Jov Sauart

Spoiler
    Show

Lord Yuz-Perry, First Viscount Noodleton, seeks Aid for his Township:
    The Don’t Drink This River, also called the Poison River, has been foul and fetid since the Colonization of Gus, hence the River’s Name. However, in the past few Months, the Horribleness has seen a marked Increase. A Man can no longer venture within a Mile of the River without becoming nauseated. Crops have begun to wither and die on the Stalk. Even Wells accessing Groundwater far from the River have become tainted and unpotable. Moreover, perhaps unrelatedly, Serfs and their Livestock have begun to vanish from their Fields, even in broad Daylight. (warning: wrackspawn demons)
    Anyone who can venture to the Source of the River and render its Water fit for Consumption shall earn the undying Gratitude of the House of Yuz-Perry, as well as a Grant of Land and may choose among the Viscount’s many Daughters and Sons for their Hand in Marriage.

The King endorses this undertaking, and has ordered one thousand platinum coins laid in escrow, to be awarded to whomsoever achieves this task to the satisfaction of the Viscount Noodleton.

Spoiler
    Show

Interested parties seek copies of any volumes from the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil. Bring these documents to the temple of Quasxthe; ask for Viblet Kewne. The reward shall be 1,000 gold pieces per volume.

Bounties may range from the unambiguously good to the rankly evil, offer rewards ranging from piddling to riches beyond your wildest dreams, and mount challenges ranging from child's play to downright unachievable. None of these factors necessarily correlates with any of the others.

Not every location you visit necessarily contains anything of value. Not all creatures you encounter will necessarily pose a challenge appropriate to your power, or even be hostile. Areas cleared of creatures will not necessarily remain cleared for long.

This is an organic world, with many options and correspondingly many risks. How you choose to respond is up to you.

(OOC thread)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-16 at 03:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Megadungeon One (IC)

Gabe smiled as he took down the mine clearing notice, and the notice for wanting dangerous beasts. Cenitpedes surely qualified, and a sap wouldn't be all that expensive to procure, from there they simply need some cages, which he was sure the employer could provide, alterantively, they could covert mine cart's with a small woven mesh, it's not like centipede's were all that aggressive when you kept them fed.

He turned to his party mate's, smiling cooly as he slid the two notices face up to his compatriots, that characteristic gleam from the way he tilted his head on his shades told them one thing, and one thing only. He had an idea.

"These suckers need a permanent solution, and I've got one. Centipede's hatch out of egg's that are layed by some weird broodmother right? We catch that ****, kill the rest, and sell off the centipede egg's that the Queen lays to this guy who wants dangerous creatures. Easy, continuous, money. You guys up for it?"
    Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-15 at 05:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin looks at the other notices on the board as he thinks. "Well, I'm none to fond of those giant centipedes, and the games are always good entertainment between jobs. I'm up for it. We'll need a couple saps though, and some way to get the brood queen back here, preferably without it waking up to many times. He thinks for a brief moment. "I think there's a shop just up the street a little way with a few saps. I don't suppose you know how large the queen is, do you?"

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Ekin looks at the other notices on the board as he thinks. "Well, I'm none to fond of those giant centipedes, and the games are always good entertainment between jobs. I'm up for it. We'll need a couple saps though, and some way to get the brood queen back here, preferably without it waking up to many times. He thinks for a brief moment. "I think there's a shop just up the street a little way with a few saps. I don't suppose you know how large the queen is, do you?"
    "Can't be much bigger than a Horse or else they would've broken through the mine's defenses by now, they're miners not soldiers, so whatever it is can't be anything more than horse sized bugs. The brood mother is at max slightly larger, we just get some of the cages the military uses to store their larger warbeasts, and we'll be set."

He says with a chuckle, of course he had an idea of how this was going to go, he was Gabe Valteir, and nothing important goes on in this town without him being all over it. Aren't you taking notes on how to be cool? Jesus, get a pen!

"Anyways, we'll need to be ready for multiple queens, I doubt it's just one hive throughout the whole mine, anyone else got any suggestions?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, if that's really the first job you wanna do here. I'm up for it. I just thought we might get something a little juicer for our first time."
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

"Like what? Do you want to go after a dragon or something? There isn't much one there I'd put odds on us being able to do. If you have a suggestion of something else, maybe something a little less crazy than capture a horse sized centipede queen, I'd be glad to hear it.

Go Tigers!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Like what? Do you want to go after a dragon or something? There isn't much one there I'd put odds on us being able to do. If you have a suggestion of something else, maybe something a little less crazy than capture a horse sized centipede queen, I'd be glad to hear it.
    "Bro, Insects breed, and die, fast. This is money that comes in every day, at least 50 gold coins, platinum if we're lucky and these things happen to be fiendish. From there we make our name filling these other small time repeat quota's and when we've finally got the gear we need to hit something LIKE a Dragon we'll do it. Till then, you let me do the planning, and you worry about your spellbook, because no one leads like Gabriel Valteir."

With this he turns away, motioning for the rest of the team to follow, they had a few choice purchases to make, and then they would set out.

Spoiler
    Show

Party pooling what's left of the gold to buy sap's for everyone, and one wagon, a military cage that likely belonged to a now dead animal..... and we'll be good.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric studies the board on his own before examining the notices Gabe took down.

"It sounds like a plan," he nods in agreement. "I just hope you're right about the centipede queen. If it becomes too dangerous, we may end up fighting for our lives instead."

He pauses for a moment before returning to the adventure board, remembering an entry. "Does anyone know anything about shrieker mushrooms? Such a small bounty means they would doubtfully pose much of a challenge. But I am willing to go against the centipedes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature) check about shrieker mushrooms: 14
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-16 at 10:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    Leodric studies the board on his own before examining the notices Gabe took down.

"It sounds like a plan," he nods in agreement. "I just hope you're right about the centipede queen. If it becomes too dangerous, we may end up fighting for our lives instead."

He pauses for a moment before returning to the adventure board, remembering an entry. "Does anyone know anything about shrieker mushrooms? Such a small bounty means they would doubtfully pose much of a challenge. But I am willing to go against the centipedes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature) check about shrieker mushrooms: 14
    "Relax man, I've got jobs planned for us after this, and there's a reason I chose the mines. It lets us get close to that Dis place, and scope it out to see if we can handle whatever the infestation is. Just chillax, sharpen your ax, and soon enough, we'll be countin' stacks. I don't adventure for short term gain. Open your eyes. Nothing's worth risking your life for unless it sets you on the path to fame, and bro, we're gonna be mother****in' world wide."

Also Bardic Knowledge on the Dis Infestation:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[24]

Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-16 at 10:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin shakes his head slightly. "Spellbook? He's gonna be disappointed when he asks me for a spell..." he mumbles under his breath with a chuckle. "Well, I can't say I have any better ideas, so why not. If were gonna need some equipment, might as well go and get it. Though we might need a horse or mule to go with the cart.

Spoiler
    Show

I can't find prices on cages, but here's what I have found
    Cart: 15G, needs 1 animal.
    Wagon: 35G, needs 2 animals.
    Donkey/Mule: 8G, might need food, especially in dungeon
    Feed per day: 5C, 10lb
    Saps (4): 4G

So we'll need at least 27 gold plus food, or 55 gold plus food if you want a wagon instead of cart, and that's not counting a cage, and add another 20 if you want a lock for the cage.

Go Tigers!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Leodric is well aware that shrieker mushrooms are so-called because they have a tendency to scream. He also recalls that they don't really have much (if any) combat ability of their own, being big mostly-inert mushroom things. More carnivorous monsters, however, do have a tendency to come investigating when they hear a mushroom shriek.

And, of course, he knows that the fresh flesh of a shrieker mushroom is the primary ingredient in the only known cure for Spelunker’s Itch, and that the average shrieker mushroom may contain upwards of 150 pounds of flesh (making the mushroom probably about human-sized, or maybe bigger if it's not made of 100% usable flesh). But only because the note said so.

Gabriel has heard stories about the infestation as he's barded around the city recently. Giant centipedes have been seen elsewhere, but none in such great numbers as at the Tiv-Beckett Cold Iron Mine. The centipedes started showing up and chewing on the miners a month or two ago, and the mine was abandoned a few weeks later.

This particular infestation definitely has one or more sources, which could be any number of things, though a literal individual queen is probably at least a little unlikely, centipedes are not usually like bees/wasps/termites/ants/etc. Though on the other hand, swarming in massive numbers is also not standard centipede behaviour, so that's more plausible than one might normally think. Many of the stories going around as to the cause of the infestation involve the phrase "dug too greedily, and too deep", because that does tend to be the explanation for things in mines, at least in stories. (Most stories about mines have been passed down for 600 years, and have become a bit garbled in the retelling.)

Gabriel has also heard from other adventurers telling tales that somebody burned down and/or blew up part of the mine, and the whole place is probably unstable now, so many adventuring parties are seeking more solid ground.

For when you go shopping: a cage for a Diminutive creature sells for 10gp, for a Tiny creature for 15gp, for a Small creature for 25gp, for a Medium creature for 50, and for a Large creature for 75gp. A cage larger than that would probably have to be custom-built, and probably wouldn't fit on a wagon, unless you got a custom-built extra-large wagon, too. Also: cages have latches, but you have to buy a lock separate if you want one.

(OOC: As a side note, could everyone put their character's name at the top of every post? That would be helpful.)

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    "I've got a good lock if we need to lock a cage," he rumbles. "I'm pretty broke right now, though. Why else would I be around here? I'll keep an eye out for any shriekers we might see if we're going to go after these centipedes. I want to know why they've overrun this mine."

"I can probably drive a wagon if we need to. I'd think a big centipede in the back might worry the animals."

He moves for the door, thinking that his comrades are ready to depart.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC, I can't tell any difference in color between Keylin and Gabe. Just figured I'd mention it here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin

"I have some spare money. When your not as big as a horse like you tall-folk, it's easier to keep most of your gear in gold form. Weighs less." Ekin admits, also rising. Now how about we go ahead and get the gear. If we stand around here talking forever, some other groups gonna get there first." he adds, as he walks to the door as well.

Go Tigers!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Ekin

"I have some spare money. When your not as big as a horse like you tall-folk, it's easier to keep most of your gear in gold form. Weighs less." Ekin admits, also rising. Now how about we go ahead and get the gear. If we stand around here talking forever, some other groups gonna get there first." he adds, as he walks to the door as well.
    Gabriel nods, and sighs as he pushes his glasses up, directing them to the store where they will purchase the cage and the saps, and then they'll head to the local stable to get a cart, and a mule to draw it (totalling 75 GP.. for which I will clean myself out, and leave 40 GP for the rest of the team.)

Assuming that goes well, they'll set out with the mule at the speed of a hustle towards the mines.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

((I'll cover the other 40 GP. I seriously have money to spare, and if all this works, hopefully I'll make it back.))

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Keyin nods his head to the plan.
    "Seems a fairly good idea. Perhaps soon enough the whole group of us will have gold to spare."
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

So the party sets out on a grand adventure to the nearest military surplus store, where they acquire a sap and a cage for the standard listed prices. Then to the stable, where they find a slightly beat-up yet perfectly serviceable cart and a mule who, the stabler informs you, is named Fussy Albert. Then, back to the military surplus store to load the cage onto the cart! And then the party really does seem to be ready to depart.

So they set off on the actual grand adventure, on the northwest road towards the Tiv-Beckett Mine.

It is a completely uneventful journey of a few hours. Fussy Albert proves to be no more or less fussy than the average mule, and uncomplainingly gets the wagon and cage to the destination.

So, eventually, the party pulls up in front of a low, wide building. A sign on the front of the building informs you that you have arrived at the TIV-BECKETT COLD IRON MINE, and a smaller sign below that declares HEADQUARTERS, and an old, gray-bearded mongrelfolk sitting on the building's porch squints at you through a cloud of pipe smoke (also he is smoking a pipe).

The old mongrel observes your dress, equipment, cage, manner, and general appearance, and immediately pegs you as: "Ah, adventurers." Blinking owlishly, he unhurriedly takes a puff of his pipe. Eventually, he concludes his sentiment: "Splendid."
    Last edited by Malimar; 2011-07-17 at 04:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe steps forward, that same old cocky smile on his face, as he tilts his chin upwards in the customary cool guy greeting, an acknowledgement of presence but a greeting that did little else to one not indoctrinated in the ways of being COOL.

"I like to think of us as problem solvers, and I hear you've got one hell of **** storm yourself. So let's get down to business, first, I'd like an additional silver per Centipede, me and my men have a garunteed permanent solution, and we'll need a little more pay to cover expenses. Secondly, I'd also like to offer our services in finding out what caused the explosion so it doesn't happen in the future. Flat fee of 200 gold a person. We got a deal?"
    Last edited by Fan; 2011-07-17 at 06:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    The druid looks amused from his place driving the cart as Gabe delivers his spiel to the old miner. He wonders why the human talks so much...so many people talk so much. He briefly pondered the wisdom of silence before quietly addressing his other companions.

"I'd like to hunt for some berries before we enter," he says. "I can give a handful some healing magic that will keep us going in the mine. They don't taste half-bad, either."

He casts his eyes at the building's surroundings, hoping to forage quickly. Let the others deal with the talking. The trees, the shrubs, the plants...they are my home.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming he has sufficient time and that it will not take too long, Leodric will take 10 on a Survival check (gives a result of 16) to locate a handful of berries for his goodberry spell, which lasts a whole day.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-17 at 10:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The old mongrelman puffs sedately on his pipe for a moment after Gabe speaks. Eventually, he responds: "Just upped the price from a copper to a silver a head already. And can barely afford even that, we've already had to lay off all the miners, no work gettin' done, mine full of bugs." He takes another puff, then says, "Explosion was some adventurers set some timbers on fire trying to smoke out the bugs. Didn't work, smoked themselves out instead!" He cackles maliciously, and is then subjected to a coughing fit.

Once he recovers, the old man continues, "Had half a mind to charge damages out of their reward. But we'll have to rebuild anyway, so we let it be. Wouldn't want to go scaring helpers off, eh?"

"But, y'got a... face. And we're gettin' antsy, no work gettin' done. So we'll throw in an extra hundred gold each, on top of our top-quality cold iron equipment, if your 'guaranteed permanent solution' works like you say. Nothin' in advance; lots of adventurers come talkin' all big, none so far actually gettin' it done."

The old mongrelman puffs sedately on his pipe for a moment after Gabe speaks. Eventually, he responds: "Just upped the price from a copper to a silver a head already. And can barely afford even that, we've already had to lay off all the miners, no work gettin' done, mine full of bugs." He takes another puff, then says, "Explosion was some adventurers set some timbers on fire trying to smoke out the bugs. Didn't work, smoked themselves out instead!" He cackles maliciously, and is then subjected to a coughing fit.

Once he recovers, the old man continues, "Had half a mind to charge damages out of their reward. But we'll have to rebuild anyway, so we let it be. Wouldn't want to go scaring helpers off, eh?"

"Oh, and word of advice: you'll never fit that wagon or that cage in the mine. We can lend you a minecart, but I hear tell some of the tracks and lifts are broken, so you mightn't even be able to get it where you want it."

Leodric hunts around the building, and discovers one of the bushes planted near the porch is adorned with small, hard, bitter red berries, which he recognizes as non-poisonous, though also not particularly delicious. The old mongrelfolk on the porch looks somewhat askance at the druid harvesting the berries, but doesn't object.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post

"But, y'got a... face. And we're gettin' antsy, no work gettin' done. So we'll throw in an extra hundred gold each, on top of our top-quality cold iron equipment, if your 'guaranteed permanent solution' works like you say. Nothin' in advance; lots of adventurers come talkin' all big, none so far actually gettin' it done."

"Oh, and word of advice: you'll never fit that wagon or that cage in the mine. We can lend you a minecart, but I hear tell some of the tracks and lifts are broken, so you mightn't even be able to get it where you want it."

Leodric hunts around the building, and discovers one of the bushes planted near the porch is adorned with small, hard, bitter red berries, which he recognizes as non-poisonous, though also not particularly delicious. The old mongrelfolk on the porch looks somewhat askance at the druid harvesting the berries, but doesn't object.
    Gabe swears, rewards out of necessity not out of stinginess, very well, he could do this. There was nothing Gabe couldn't do. This was what he was born for, and what his mother****in' destiny was. He motions to the other man, and pulls out a piece of blank parchment he had kept to make a map of the mines with.

"Works for me, we'll get this done before the next fortnight's out and you'll be able to put your men back to work. Can you tell me what you know about these centipede's? Traditionally they lay eggs correct? Any idea where a cluster might be where we can hit and trace the rest of the tunnels from?"

He says waving his hand, what little magic that came with being a bard laying out the entrance to the place in magical ink on the parchment.

"Also noting any places where miners have been attacked would be nice."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin
    Ekin wanders over by Leodric as he returns with the berries. "The human, he speaks so much. Sometimes I wonder if he's even managed to con himself into believing his stories. He chuckles slightly and pauses. "So what do you think of this plan? Say what you want about the humans, they're damned clever at times, though maybe too much for their own good."

Go Tigers!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin
    Ekin wanders over by Leodric as he returns with the berries. "The human, he speaks so much. Sometimes I wonder if he's even managed to con himself into believing his stories. He chuckles slightly and pauses. "So what do you think of this plan? Say what you want about the humans, they're damned clever at times, though maybe too much for their own good."

Go Tigers!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The old mongrel puffs contemplatively on his pipe, creakily getting to his feet and shuffling down the steps. "Well, they've got poison pincers. Squirt you full of venom and paralyze you, see. So try not to let them bite you. I wouldn't know about any eggs, but I suppose they don't just appear out of nowhere, so I reckon that must be so."

As the old man leads the party around the side of the building to a braced hole in the side of the hill, he continues, "As for attacks... most of our miners got attacked in the deepest, farthest parts of the mine, before we pulled 'em out. Adventurers like yourselves have been attacked even right inside the gate, though."

The entrance to the mine is exactly what one pictures when one thinks of the entrance to a mine. In fact, it is almost exactly this, complete with a rail line leading in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Except the sign says "TIV-BECKETT" instead of "DIANA", and the gate is visibly chewed-upon by countless tiny things.

The mongrelman hesitantly goes to the gate, unlocks it, then retreats to the safety of the bright midday sun.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    "There's really no telling." He mutters a few words over the berries and stows them in a pouch on his belt. "I mainly hope he isn't underestimating the size of the things."

Leodric follows the mongrelfolk to the mine's entrance and waits as he unlocks the gate. "I hope we can fix this for you," he tells the man as he is backing away. "May we see you again." He looks around at the rest of his companions. "Well? Who's first?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Berry roll to see how many berries I get: (2d4)[5]
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2011-07-18 at 01:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

(I have Draconic Heritage (Senses) so I can see in the dark out to 60ft.)

Gabe will take the fore, striking a sunrod against the ground as he does so with a bit of a step, slide, movement as he shimmied up to the side of the gate and peered inside, odds are these things were light sensitive anyways and the reaction that would be cued up from his sun rod would force any of these vermin to attack and ruin any chance of an ambush right at the door.

He motions for Erik to take the other side and for Leodric and Kaylin to form the "core" of the group, taking on a bent bow formation that was meant to allow the archers (or in this case, support members) to strike where most needed, and allow those with hardier constitutions to draw the brunt of the force into the web of death that would be woven by the support members.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Ekin
    "Well, here goes nothing." Ekin mutters, drawing his rapier as he steps into the mine a step behind Gabe. When the light strikes on, he blinks rapidly and rubs his eyes. "Goodness, give some warning. Pitch black to fully lit is a bit hard on the eyes."

Go Tigers!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm.. Island of Blades may have worked better than Child of Shadow.

Isten, decides to not bother arguing, and instead takes his place. He hadn't killed a man or beast in a long while, and was itching for a chance.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

Leodric
    The druid draws his scimitar and shield and takes his place behind Gabe. The bright light hurts his eyes at first, but his pupils quickly adjust.

"Go ahead."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabe-

Gabe will lead the way, pushing carefully into the maw of the cave keeping as best a vigil as he can, keeping an eye out for his men, and for himself. Because as the saying goes. Cool guy's don't die.

Spot, and Listen
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[21] Listen

Spot:

(1d20+3)[18]