New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Little Green

Little Green will take his prize and pass through the portal to deliver it.

"Well, I do believe this is the item requested. Stolen so skillfully that the victim won't even report it missing."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground

The scene has changed slightly, though there are still the weird looking individuals playing their game you dont see the weird group of adventurers there.

The Arcanoloth raises his spectacled snout towards you and puts down the book he is reading and gives you a foxy smile.

"That is Excellent sir! I am glad to hear you got it and that you had fun doing so. Also very happy you managed to make sure it wont be missed any time soon!" he says with a casual tone.

"And now off course your reward!" He says and starts searching around a heap of books. A moment later he comes up with a tome and presents it to you.

The book is a thick large tome of considerable age. The leather cover has seen much use and is worn out, as have many runes and curious letters. You can easily read in draconic though the inscription made from silver thread at the top of the book

'Artificium INCANTAMENTUM'

"I believe this is the book you asked for and here it is in all its infernal simplistic glory..."
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

With his spoils in hand, Little Green thanks his host and leaves.

His next stop: deliver the book.

Spoiler
    Show
    cue xp drop.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #634

Spoiler
    Show

Okay so you gain xp for this side story. Which by the way has the potential to be more than a simple fetch quest... I have plans for this...

The Arcanaloth is impressed by your speed and thanks you as well.

You head towards the exit and see that the portal doesnt seem to shimmer like before. It seems its not activated.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that seems to be what EVERY plot in AVB starts as, a "simple" quest.

Just keep in mind that I'd like to get back to Jenna decently soon, even if everything else isn't neatly tied up first.

Little Green will first try to go through anyways.

WHEN If that fails to avoid whatever PLOT awaits him get him out of there, he'll pull a stereotype and ask the general audience who may or may not listen to him "Well, anyone know what I did to offend the god of portals that I'm trapped here?"

6. - Top - End - #636

Spoiler
    Show

In the mean time I saw I didnt really say how much XP you get!

LG gains 2350 XP for his ordeals with the fetch quest!

Also, its not a matter of PLOT why the portal isnt working... its cause he really forgot with what manner of creature he is dealing with.

The portal remains frustratingly closed.

When he returns and addresses the room he hears a couple of sniggers from the room playing their games.

The Arcanloth on the other hand stands to his full height and fixes his glasses and responds in an utterly humorless tone.

"No reason for alarm kind sir. I believe the reason you cant leave this place is because you lack the 'key' that opens the portal... In your world I believe the 'key' is the particular shadow cast at a precise moon phase during a particular time. From this side the 'key' is different..." he explains and looks next to him.

What you notice is the large stack of bronzed bricks that you indeed remember he had given you and furthermore remember had disappeared from your grasp when you passed through the portal.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

"Erm, it seems that I forgot to acquire the key to allow me to pass before I tried to leave. Mind if I borrow one of these?" Little Green says, indicating one of the bricks. "Seems to be bad for business if one's potential clients feel trapped."

diplomacy - (d20+19)[34]

8. - Top - End - #638

The Arcanaloth smiles, widely this time, showing a neat set of foxy teeth.

"Well now, as a good employer I provided a means of transportation when you went out to do the errand I had asked for. But now that business is concluded and these bronze bricks of mine do cost a pretty penny... so I am afraid to say borrowing is out of the question on account that they tend to be consumed when the portal is used." he says as he looks at you before starting to clean his spectacles.

"On the other hand off course... I could sell you one... or you could enter my service and I could gift you one as a signing bonus!" he smiles again.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't mind signing on with you at all, provided you understand that I already work for three other people, although one of them is just a dupe as part of a job for another client. As long as entering your service will allow me to return and tidy up my other business, I would love to.

If not, then I guess now I must ask you how much such an item will cost. And if you try to trap me here by running eternal errands for you that always end up with me trapped here, I will personally hunt down and kill you, no matter how well protected you are or how hard you are to find. Not threatening you, merely informing you of how I'll react if you try to pull that stunt on me.
    "

diplomacy - (d20+19)[27]
    intimidate - (d20+17)[35]

Spoiler
    Show
    and no, cr's do not apply in LG's head. Besides being a meta thing, he also knows that he's clever enough to get himself any sorts of allies he needs to take that arcanaloth out if he needs to. Up to and including going on an epic xanatos scheme to befriend Tiamat, Beelzebub, Pelor, and Sylvanus to help him take that guy down. Long-term revenge will work as well.

10. - Top - End - #640

Though he doesnt outwardly show it, it seems the Arcanaloth takes heed of your words.

He hrumfs audibly and narrows his eyes.

"Well well well... who do we have here... mister IWillRuinYouAll!" he says towards his friends.

"I would like to point out that I never made any notion to trap you or anything my good friend. You came to me, you asked for my services and I believe I was more than helpful. Nor do I need to hide... my store is here in this beautiful idelic spot of the Gray Wastes and all those who want to challenge me or get help from me are welcome! Just a few days ago I believe I finalised my deal for the Cornugons you saw and I would be happy to use them against any intruder or disgruntled whinning customer..." he continues.

"So... to cut this farse short, you should learn to show more respect to your betters and learn your place. For now I choose to ignore your outburst... you primers think far too highly off yourselves in your sheltered protected bubbles and thats why I wont take offence..." he continues and seems to calm down.

"All I need, and I mean of you in my service, is that you keep an eye and an ear out of the happenings in your word. One can never know what a relatively meaningless piece of information you collect can prove of use to me. As such, once per forthnight you can scrible a page of your findings on this paper..." he says and indeed he produces a sheet of paper made from fine papirus.

"The ink will get sucked in after you put your initials at the bottom of the page and it will be sent to me.... and that is all... no hidden clauses, no clandestine conspiracies and all that! And all that nets you the brick and my support... you see I tend to care for those that feed me information... do not try to call upon me for meaningless things off course... that would be a waste of my time... but my good will and support can be called upon from time to time for your benefit... and free passage here for now and until you die as well!"

Spoiler
    Show

That could be a lot of fun! By the way I hope you understand this was coming from the moment you did not inquire about them bricks and all that... Yugoloths are notorious manipulators and all that... they are good enough to play both sides in the Blood War of Devils and Demons...

On a side note, it nets you a "minor" (due to amount involvement) ally for very little work :D

Lastly, dont talk to me abou Challenge Ratings... Ishmael has taken on things he has no idea what they are or how powerful they are!

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-01-23 at 08:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, that was about the reaction I was hoping for, get him irritated enough to cut out the scheming and dealing and get me a simple resolution.

Well, that's exactly the reaction I was hoping for. Little Green thought to himself. He knew his threat wouldn't seem all that threatening. The point was to rattle him enough to get him to change tactics from pulling out the rug beneath LG to actually telling him what he wants. Perhaps taunting such a powerful being isn't the smartest move, but LG enjoys getting away with tweaking the noses of beings who think themselves untouchable.

"Your proposal sounds most pleasing to me. Unless there is anything else you need to tell me, I'll accept that offer, take what you'll need to give me so I can serve in that capacity, and leave before I insult you further and end up dead."

diplomacy - (d20+19)[21]

12. - Top - End - #642

The other two, the bauriar and the memphit, obviously relax after the few heated moments between the two of you.

The Arcanaloth smiles once again and nods his head sagely.

"All is well my friend. It is a sign of a true businessman to be passionate about your work and some times passions lead us to say wrong things. You can already forget about it!" he says more jovially.

Without further delay he hands you the rolled up papyrus and a quill along with the brick.

Little Green is free to go.

Spoiler
    Show

And as I consider this part of a seperate encounter, he also gains 500XP for not ending up in combat or as enemies with the Arcanaloth!

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks! I thought I was good enough at social manipulation to insult and threaten the guy to his face in front of witnesses and get away with it. Nice to see that I didn't end up dying a horrible squishy death.

Little Green takes his things and departs, making a mental note that if this arcanaloth ever tries to pull another fast one on him that LG will have to go about gathering the allies it will take to destroy him.

If not, then LG doesn't mind having yet another "employer". It's a lot easier to stay alive with allies. Small allies with small requirements are often better: lower maintenance.

With the book in hand, LG will deliver it to the head of the cult.

14. - Top - End - #644

Spoiler
    Show

Heh well the mix of bluff/diplomacy and intimidate can do that for ya along with the RPing!

Also... Arcanloths dont do squishy deaths... they are more spellcastery like type of guys... and CR 17... thats why the DM didnt really expect you would end up fighting him... yet.

He arrives at the store of the dwarf brothers and a few knocks later the one you had met and had shown you to the deep chambers opens the door.

Upon seeing you he first looks left and right and then motions you in.

"I see you have the book. Was it hard to get? I will have you know you owe me your friends life... the Cat said he should have eaten the little kid to make sure you comply but I have a soft spot for kids so I forbade it..."

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    edit: yeah, I'm aware of what cr an arcanaloth is. And that's assuming that this arcanaloth is just a regular one, and not in fact an advanced arcanaloth with class levels or somesuch, as would be more likely for one with such a good setup as he has.

"Acquiring the book only required extradimensional travel, dealing with dark otherworld entities, theft, infiltration, and extortion. My life was only at risk four times. Overall, it could have been worse. If you want to tack on me owing you for you not having your pet kill a child in a wholly unnecessary death to impress upon the fellow who would have done what you wanted willingly, go right ahead. I am following you willingly, you don't need to threaten or entrap me to get me to do what you want. Part of the whole "mercenary" thing is wiling to do anything."
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-01-23 at 09:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646

His suprise is obvious when his mouth opens gaping.

"We..well... its not like that you see! We all serve a greater... good" he pauses for a moment.

"Lets just say that some of the higher ups some times believe in more motivation than is necessary... me and my brother for example had to really, really prove our loyalty... but I guess in your case noone can doubt it now!" he says and smiles.

"So in any case. I will inform everyone we have the book. They are all on alert so I am sure tomorrow night the meeting can be arranged so you and your other friend can be initiated... you may also be pleased to learn that the thief was caught... she has been taken care of by one of our senior members so lets just say she wont be doing anything to anyone again..."

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good."

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless the thief happens to be Jenna or Mr. Grafty, Little Green will be glad to know that anyone who's that good and has caused him so much inconvenience yet dumb enough to get caught is taken care of.

If he is dismissed, Little Green will head to Jenna's with the unused vial of hornet-friend potion.

18. - Top - End - #648

It is nor Jenna, nor Mr Grafty and as such he needs not worry.

Spoiler
    Show

And as a matter of fact and since you are also a DM in this game you will be pleased to know that it was not someone stupid or smart... it was another player and they were very very lucky!

He arrives at the house of the girl and assuming he knocks on her window she opens up a few moments later.

"Welcome back!" she exclaims loudly but not loud enough to alert her uncle and aunt.

"So! Where did you go? What happened and you didnt come last night and the night before? Some adventure?"

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

"I had to fetch an item for my boss that wasn't easy to find."

Little Green then tells her a version of the events that happens which has been edited to be appropriate for someone her age, with just enough details to be deliciously naughtier than a story for someone her age "should" be. He is sure to include himself in the best possible light throughout it without actually lying. Everything he tells her is true.

20. - Top - End - #650

She is sufficiently impressed and excited.

She does pout a little bit though after you are done.

"You know... I could have actually helped you out..."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, you likely could have. I realized that while on this adventure. That's actually part of the reason why I'm here. You see, you remember those wasps I bought? Well, I need a partner that can help me tend to those wasps. If you'll recall from the story, I got 2 vials of the stuff to protect myself from the wasps. The second one is still unused. Would you like to have the second vial keyed to you so you can come with me on my next adventure and help me?" After having said that, LG realizes that if Jenna's the kind of girl who's scared of bugs, that might end up backfiring.

22. - Top - End - #652

Spoiler
    Show

I rolled a 15% chance that she is afraid but nop, she isnt :D

Her eyes widden in suprise.

"You know my aunt doesnt let me have a pet... she says that they would need to take care of it in the end and I would neglect it and they already have one little menace to take care of..." she says with a smile.

"So yes! It would be awesome! I would be their queen and they will feed me honey!"

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not believe that wasps make honey, but I am sure that you will find tending them to be rewarding in its own rights. Now then, I will need a single drop of your blood to mix in with the vial so they will know who you are and not attack you."

24. - Top - End - #654

She blinks twice a shadow of worry appearing in her features.

She then grits her teeth and extends her hand towards you and turns her head towards the other side.

"Okay. I am ready" she says with a melodramatic tone of voice.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green takes the offered hand and nips her with his sharp teeth very quickly and perfunctorily at the tip of her finger. Just hard enough for a drop of blood to well up. He then directer her finger over the vial where the blood mixes in.

"There we go. All done." He says as he closes the vial once more.

26. - Top - End - #656

She whimpers but not that loudly and regains her composure.

"Good!" she says putting a brave face.

"So, what do we do now? Can I come meet the hornets?"

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, why not? You will need to wait a bit after they take the potion for it to come into effect."

28. - Top - End - #658

She nods emphatically and seems genuinely excited by the prospect and the idea.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green takes her to the abandoned house he's stashed the wasps in and says, "Wait here for a moment while I introduce them to you. You don't want to get stung."

30. - Top - End - #660

She follows you and does as told though she is a bit spooked at being left on her own in a dark abandonded house. Its strange for LG considering he never feels he is in utter darkness thanks to his darkvision.

She hangs back while you head further in and you hear the reassuring buzzing of your new guardians. Their nest is where you left it.