New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XVIII: Perfect Isn't Easy

Is Trixie really much of a villain as an actress whose fanboys ruined EVERYTHING?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Well it turns out illusion isn't Trixie's specialty. She's a MATHAMATICIAN.
    Ahem. Mathemagician.

And I don't see this as being my dislike for Fanon! Trixie manifesting itself (Fanon! Trixie, who is 90% of the fanfiction output, who is more or less an OC). Show Trixie I like well enough, just get annoyed at the overexposure. I'm just seeing this sort of "too cool for school" attitude as being very much in character for Trixie (if you assume that she is her show persona, as opposed to the theory that she's more humble and normal off stage.)

The "eating her neighbor's paste" thing was just appended silliness, like the sort of thing that kindergartners actually do.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-01 at 02:38 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Mostly it was a passing intellectual concern. I know at least the majority of the background around your distaste of Show!Trixie, even if I don't agree with it all (she's my favorite sort of villain, like a pony version of Robert Angier). It's just more, seeing that distaste manifest so strongly, I extrapolated and worried what that wrath would look like turned upon Shimmer.

I also know you're a nice guy and wouldn't do anything like that. But for a moment I became seared by the fury of your burn, and it kinda scared me. Nothing more.
    Honestly, I have to add to this a little, and note that I always sort of cringe when ShowTrixie comes up, because it always seems like you have something vitriolic or insulting to say about her, and I know you don't like her, but I kinda do, she's one of my favorite non-main characters, so, yeah.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Honestly, I have to add to this a little, and note that I always sort of cringe when ShowTrixie comes up, because it always seems like you have something vitriolic or insulting to say about her, and I know you don't like her, but I kinda do, she's one of my favorite non-main characters, so, yeah.
    Sorry, I didn't see this as vitrolic. I was just being silly, not intentionally mean.

But looking at my pattern, my humor with Trixie is often a bit mean. I'll try to cut it out.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-01 at 02:43 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Trixie, why do you even come to school?

The law says the Great and Powerful Trixie stuck here until she's 18. After January 15, The Great and Powerful Trixie is blowing this Popsicle stand and traveling the world, doing the greatest magic anypony has ever seen!

Trixie, you're failing Magic Theory. You can barely do simple illusion magic.

Then I'll go to Earth Pony towns. They won't know the difference.
    To be fair, the Illusions teacher is one of those 'brick in the wall' type teachers.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am a lowly worm and I don't deserve any recognition for this... giving top billing to two fictional characters and forgetting to credit the person that did the actual leg work in the creation process... I drew a diagram. So what.

Im lower than dirt.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Just so it isn't missed in my edits of posts, I do apologize if my Trixie jokes (and that is how they're typically meant) offended people. My issue with Trixie is more overexposure than anything wrong with her, and I'll try to adjust my behavior in the future and keep myself in line.

I really didn't mean anything by today's string, and in general I really don't mean to be mean. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-01 at 02:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278

Subject change

Sweetiebuse: WTF. It makes Scootabuse have Dash as the best sibling ever. There's some... let's say creative things in there.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Some Sweetabuse is actually kind of funny. It's because they flanderize her character from "ditzy" to "Ralph Wiggum." It's almost funny watching her be blissfully ignorant of what exactly is going on around her. It's especially funny on the occasions where it backfires on whoever is doing the abuse.

As for it's source, search me.

10. - Top - End - #280

Well I'm more talking about the 'trapping Sweetie in a glass jar while she begs to be let out' stuff to everything related to 'Sweetie is really Rarity's daughter'.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Well I'm more talking about the 'trapping Sweetie in a glass jar while she begs to be let out' stuff to everything related to 'Sweetie is really Rarity's daughter'.
    Because people are sick.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I didn't see this as vitrolic. I was just being silly, not intentionally mean.

But looking at my pattern, my humor with Trixie is often a bit mean. I'll try to cut it out.
    I think the part where it got a bit nasty was at the implication that she was inept and failing at even basic magic, even though magic is ostensibly the subject of her cutie mark. Like I said, I like her as the ponified Robert Angier: she's good with magic without being the best at it, or even really in the conversation. What she excels at is the sell. Her stage presence is second to none, and she is very very calculated and precise with the ways she uses her talents to elicit maximum awe. She craves the spotlight on center stage, and she'll make the sacrifices necessary to make that happen, and make it happen now. On the one hoof, that means targeting spells to discredit other ponies who have the sorts of talents that might potentially show her up. On the other hoof, that means when a rampaging star bear comes to town, when all eyes are on her, she's going to stand there and give it the old college try.

Trixie's a lot of things to a lot of people. I don't care for a lot of fans' interpretations of her, but the time she spent on the screen was interesting food for thought. A lot like Luna, part of it is learning to tune out the hype backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by InkwellPony View Post
    I am a lowly worm and I don't deserve any recognition for this... giving top billing to two fictional characters and forgetting to credit the person that did the actual leg work in the creation process... I drew a diagram. So what.

Im lower than dirt.
    Hey now, none of that. It was written in character, and you drew it in character. You were thinking about it in character, and the extra process where the rest of reality slid into place and you recognized that proper credit wasn't already there by default didn't happen. This is fine. Dare I say it might even be expected.

You're much much higher than dirt. Don't beat yourself up about it, ok?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah... that was too far. For that sort of character (too cool for school) I should have had her be a magical savant, but not give a darn about any other subject. It didn't make sense, and I realize I threw that in there just for mean humor.

... yeesh, I am a jerk when it comes to Trixie. I gotta watch myself.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-01 at 03:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

This thread is in need of love and tolerance (and diabeetus).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285

Im lower than dirt.
    Damn it, Inkwell, I've already forgiven you. We're taking about this when you get back from class, because this level of self-hated is both unwarranted and is completely unhealthy for you.

The answer is, and forever shall be, that there are some sick people out there. (And this is coming from the guy who just wrote a primer on how ponies are made of delicious candy.)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Hey now, none of that. It was written in character, and you drew it in character. You were thinking about it in character, and the extra process where the rest of reality slid into place and you recognized that proper credit wasn't already there by default didn't happen. This is fine. Dare I say it might even be expected.

You're much much higher than dirt. Don't beat yourself up about it, ok?
    Unfortunately, Inkwell has a terrible habit of beating himself up more than anyone else could, and he's taking this particular bit especially badly.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

The answer is, and forever shall be, that there are some sick people out there. (And this is coming from the guy who just wrote a primer on how ponies are made of delicious candy.)
    Just out of curiosity, was it inspired by Wile E. Coyote's diagram of the Road Runner, where every part tasted like different treats? (for some reason, the one that sticks out to me is the legs were Yorkshire Pudding. I don't even know what Yorkshire Pudding is).

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, was it inspired by Wile E. Coyote's diagram of the Road Runner, where every part tasted like different treats? (for some reason, the one that sticks out to me is the legs were Yorkshire Pudding. I don't even know what Yorkshire Pudding is).
    It's a roll-like dish, not entirely dissimilar to a biscuit or popover, traditionally served with roast beef or prime rib.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    It's a roll-like dish, not entirely dissimilar to a biscuit or popover, traditionally served with roast beef or prime rib.
    I googled pictures.

Morbo: PUDDING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

I'd love to know the etymology of the word, but it does sound tasty.

19. - Top - End - #289

I googled pictures.

Morbo: PUDDING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

I'd love to know the etymology of the word, but it does sound tasty.
    Morbo talking to Pinkie: MAGIC DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Where is this server/why didn't I know about this??

Unrelated: I've only recently come into the possession of one of those newfangled "smart" phones, and I'm still discovering the ramifications of what is now possible. For instance, it has now dawned on me that I can access this forum from literally anywhere. This may prove to be... detrimental to my sanity.
    Why did I read as "smart ponies" and though "huh, you can get Internet on a pony now, how much have progress brought?" Didn't even catch my mistake until this post got quoted and I had to reread it and think again.

Also, you're all awesome and should get hugs. Yes, even the pokemon.

Tomorrow's gonna be a new day, and the thread will have two hours' worth of post to catch up on again, won't it? I'm not complaining, just whining. A little. And a little happy, because your shenanigans are hilarious. How the hay did I spell that last sentence right on the first try? I'm not supposed to...

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would just like to point out, we are discussing candy colored magical ponies. We are also becoming minor-ly upset at good natured jibs at a pony whos only appeared once, while at the same time giving her a background. we have also been shipping ponies that have never had a single line or only seconds of screen time.

What has this show done to us?
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

22. - Top - End - #292

Honestly, I remember that old cartoon now, but I wasn't thinking of it at the time. No, it really was my own brain coming up with the various types of candy/confection that sounded 'right' based off of what we had seen on the show, as well as some of the fandom in-jokes.

I don't know what this says about me.

(Also, Yorkshire Pudding is delicious.)
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-08-01 at 03:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    I would just like to point out, we are discussing candy colored magical ponies. We are also becoming minor-ly upset at good natured jibs at a pony whos only appeared once, while at the same time giving her a background. we have also been shipping ponies that have never had a single line or only seconds of screen time.

What has this show done to us?
    I believe around here we refer to it as ponysanity.

And it is wonderful.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizmat View Post
    Why did I read as "smart ponies" and though "huh, you can get Internet on a pony now, how much have progress brought?" Didn't even catch my mistake until this post got quoted and I had to reread it and think again.

Also, you're all awesome and should get hugs. Yes, even the pokemon.

Tomorrow's gonna be a new day, and the thread will have two hours' worth of post to catch up on again, won't it? I'm not complaining, just whining. A little. And a little happy, because your shenanigans are hilarious. How the hay did I spell that last sentence right on the first try? I'm not supposed to...
    That wasn't whining. This is whining.

THIS THREAD IS TOO FAST! MY SCHEDULE'S REALLY TIGHT, CAN'T YOU SLOW IT DOWN? OOOOOH I DON'T WANT TO MISS ANYTHING!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, I remember that old cartoon now, but I wasn't thinking of it at the time. No, it really was my own brain coming up with the various types of candy/confection that sounded 'right' based off of what we had seen on the show, as well as some of the fandom in-jokes.

I don't now what this says about me.

(Also, Yorkshire Pudding is delicious.)
    All I know is that you shouldn't have made the skulls out of peppermint. My love of peppermint is one of the things that rivals my love of ponies, so it leads to an interesting dilemma...

*searches frantically for leftover candy canes*
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    O_O *GASP* The lost layer of Elysium! It suddenly all makes sense!
    The Guardinals barred access to the layer because of a monsterous hydra, that then mellowed out and now lives in Froggy Bottom Bog!
    Equestria is so idyllic because it's strongly good-aligned!
    The Princesses move the Sun and Moon because the plane doesn't normally have them!
    Ponies shrug off injuries from falling anvils like they were nothing because of the positive energy effect!

OhmygoshIhavetorunaponybasedPlanescapecampaign!
    Let me in.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    Also, thread opening mindscrew time: CelestiaxIronHoofCelestia. You could call it...

*puts on sunglasses*

...a benevolent/dictator 'ship.
    May I sig that?

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Hmmm... since pegasi don't need their legs to move, do you think there was a "ghost tail" dress craze at one point? Pegasus mares wearing dresses that seriously restricted their leg movement to look cool. Hobble skirts to the 10th power.
    Very approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Ponder making her self small and cute too?
    Hasn't this fanfic been done, minus the romance bit? XD Sunny Skies, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Serious Answer: Depression at her isolation, heartbreak and running away to hide at the Ponyville library with the one pony she is closest to, and is sent further into herself when Twilight reacts with her typical hero-worship. Until Celestia finally breaks down and Twilight finally sees and accepts the pony under the crown (as a friend, not just a mentor (etc)), learns an important lesson that while you should respect them, you shouldn't put anypony on a pedastal, even a Princess.
    Dawwww.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And Luna...wasn't wearing any...

So Nightmare Moon's armour is basically the Slutty Evil Bikini...?

That...I...huh.

Y'know what?

I'm just going to go to roleplaying now. With great expedience...
    ...I'll be in my bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    As for the rest of the conversation, my opinion is naked=casual clothes and anything else is function, fashion, or occaision.
    Also, yes, there most certainly is a royal harem. No, you are not invited to see.
    Yes, you are invited to watch.

Im lower than dirt.
    You need hugs. :(
    (HUGS)

@SiuiS and Brazen
    (Next time you look behind you)
    oh, hi! I let myself in.

Do you have some handcuffs? No need, I bought my own!

@SiuiS I think I don't remember:
    As well as captain, commodore, etc, you have at LEAST two goddesses. I think one of Phoe's personas/characters/character's personas was one.

@Whoever was worried:
    I think the August 3rd thing would be totallyawesome, although I PROBABLY won't participate, and only the ponysane ones (COUGHSiuiSCOUGH) will read it all.

Perhaps ask a mod if it's permitted?
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-08-01 at 03:48 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

27. - Top - End - #297

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I found ponythread while delivering some research to the human internet. Ever since then I can only see the bright pink ponysanity of our new eldritch overlord. I asked Pinkie about it, but she just said she's seen beyond the veil. The Pink One comes on steeds of pastry. The Party will begin soon.

Your faithful student,
    Twilight Sparkle
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    All I know is that you shouldn't have made the skulls out of peppermint. My love of peppermint is one of the things that rivals my love of ponies, so it leads to an interesting dilemma...

*searches frantically for leftover candy canes*
    Spoilered for potential candy related squick.
    Spoiler
    Show

In Ponyland, they don't have funerals. They have dessert.

29. - Top - End - #299

Spoilered for potential candy related squick.
    Spoiler
    Show

In Ponyland, they don't have funerals. They have dessert.
    Just realized Pinkie would be a death priestess, and everything that goes along with it would be NORMAL.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300

I have to admit, it would have been nice to get a little credit for actually writing the text on that.
    I figured you were a part of it in the first place when I saw Midnight's name pop up in the conversation at the bottom. :P

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    There is the one tennis pony with the stache in Call of the Cutie. He was wearing shorts.

As for the rest of the conversation, my opinion is naked=casual clothes and anything else is function, fashion, or occaision.
    Also, yes, there most certainly is a royal harem. No, you are not invited to see.
    ...Awwwww. Why nooot?

Im lower than dirt.
    Don't beat yourself up over it man. We all space out every so often, and beating yourself up like that isn't good. Trust me, I do it to myself... I think it's time for a hug.

Spoiler
    Show

---

Also, Psycho Shutin, I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS. STOP LURKING. >C

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Titanium Fox; 2011-08-01 at 03:53 PM.
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".