New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sailor myth

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sailor myth

Now I have no idea where I heard this myth or if it is even a myth at all but I want to know if anyone else has heard of it.

Apparently during the days of sailing ships. Sailors believed that there was an airpocket underwater. This lead to the sailors swimming down instead of up if they were thrown deep under the surface (ie during a storm). Being so far from the surface it made more sense to swim down and try to reach the airpocket. Of course anyone who did do that would drown.

So has anyone heard of anything like this? I have done a few google searches but to no avail.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sailor myth

I had never heard anything of that sort. I know that when a ship capsizes, it'll often have an air pocket, as it turned over faster than the air could escape. I could also see how a sailor may try to head for that instead of going for the surface, only to be stuck under the sinking ship.

But the belief that there are air pockets just sitting underwater is new to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The reason that some drowning persons swim down instead of up is that they can't tell which way is up. They get confused underwater and guess wrong.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    The reason that some drowning persons swim down instead of up is that they can't tell which way is up. They get confused underwater and guess wrong.
    Yeah, I think you're confusing that with this. What you're supposed to do is follow the bubbles upward.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot of great ways to find the surface exist! Most of them involve having air. Slightly problematic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

When you are several, if not tens or even hundreds or thousands of miles from land in a storm, swimming is not going to do you any good. At most it will prolong the agony. Swimming down is basically killing yourself so you don't die a worse death. Also, many sailors couldn't swim. Again, in most situations it would only prolong the agony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

The myth rings a bell, but I can't find it anywhere. I can see it being a way to explain why drowning sailors swim downwards, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

They did that in Pirates of the Carribean, didn't they? Flipped the boat upside down, then it floated "up" to another surface.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partof1 View Post
    They did that in Pirates of the Carribean, didn't they? Flipped the boat upside down, then it floated "up" to another surface.
    Technically yes. However they did that to escape another dimension or something, not to survive a sinking ship.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm from a sailor-nation and I've never heard of such a story. We have lots of tales about the sea, but that one is completely new to me.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I served 20 years in the U.S. Navy, and never heard this myth. And as a D&D geek, I was always looking for new myths!

However, the getting disoriented and not knowing which was was up was and is a real hazard. Below 33 feet your ears equalize so you can't really tell if you are getting deeper from the increasing pressure. Following bubbles requires you have enough air to release a few bubbles, that you have enough light to see the bubbles, and that you remember these handy tips.

But here are some myths that are true(ish):
    Earrings improve eyesight (The earlobe is a common accupuncture site for eyes)
    Earrings are only authorized in uniform if your ship was shot out from beneath you.
    Sailors will tattoo a pig and a chicken on their feet to prevent drowning.

Ask your sailor myths, and I'll do my best to answer them!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Sailors will tattoo a pig and a chicken on their feet to prevent drowning.

Err....whut?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sailors are a very superstitious lot.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Somewhere under the Pacific Ocean.....

Sailor 1: "Hey, I can see a stream of huge bubbles rising towards us! We're saved!"

Sailor 2: "NO! WAIT, DON'T!"

Sailor 1: *Pops bubble and immediately chokes to death on noxious gases*

Sailor 2: ".....that was Cthulhu farting in his sleep...."

No, don't ask me how they're managing to talk to each other underwater.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed we are! The chicken and pig myth dates to when ships took live animals to eat later. When a ship sank, often the chickens and pigs survived because their cages floated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Indeed we are! The chicken and pig myth dates to when ships took live animals to eat later. When a ship sank, often the chickens and pigs survived because their cages floated.
    Oooooohhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Apparently so.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You choose a career where your well being, and even (in the Age of Sail) ability to get anywhere, depends on forces entirely beyond your control, like the weather and you tell me you don't develop a few superstitions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A San Diego myth was that if you threw your "dixie cup" cover (hat) overboard as the ship went under the Coronado Bay Bridge and it floated all the way to the shore, you would reenlist. A friend of mine weighted his down with wire in the brim! (He wanted to use a bronze valve, but the command wouldn't let him.)

The wire was hidden in the edge of his dixie cup, so it looked like a normal cover. It went down in less than a second!

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    You choose a career where your well being...depends on forces entirely beyond your control, like the weather and you tell me you don't develop a few superstitions.
    Does forces entirely beyond your control, like a manager count?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

From everything I've heard, it's commonly believed that sailors are the most superstitious people ever. Followed closely by athletes (especially fighters and soccer players)

Go Tigers!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    From everything I've heard, it's commonly believed that sailors are the most superstitious people ever. Followed closely by athletes (especially fighters and soccer players)
    Tabletop-RPG Gamers and Gamblers are also known for their superstitions.

22. - Top - End - #22

And actors.

I've heard that knowing how to swim was considered unlucky for a sailor, because, apparently, that was tempting fate to throw you overboard.

Anyone else heard that one?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Err....whut?
    In the days of old, when a ship was sinking, the cages containing pigs and chickens would float. Sailors began tattooing chickens and pigs on their feet as a good luck charm, hoping they would float too.
    Last edited by Tragic_Comedian; 2011-08-12 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pilots have some great superstitions, too. Offhand, I think of the unlucky poker hand one.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

people have been known to get turned around when thrown into the water, making some swim down, which is probably where that came from.

theres also a certain depth at which humans stop floating.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry
    You choose a career where your well being, and even (in the Age of Sail) ability to get anywhere, depends on forces entirely beyond your control, like the weather and you tell me you don't develop a few superstitions.
    There's even the one superstition that says that whenever you use a candle, rather than a match, to light anything other than another candle, a fire breaks out on board of a ship somewhere. Talk about not being in control.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, ironically, fire was actually one of the biggest dangers on ships, as they were made pretty much entirely out of tarred wood, ropes, and oiled cloth.

There's a fun saying more than a myth, but it's a similar idea. Shakespeare references it at the beginning of the Tempest. A man born to be hanged need not fear drowning. ie, a pirate, who is destined to hang, isn't going to die cause of anything else.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post
    There's even the one superstition that says that whenever you use a candle, rather than a match, to light anything other than another candle, a fire breaks out on board of a ship somewhere. Talk about not being in control.
    This is at least somewhat based on reality. Old/disabled sailors used to make matches to pay for food and rent. So if you use a candle to light something (usually cigarettes), you would rob them of their only income.
    That is why, some time ago, if you tried to light your cigarette on something other than a match, at least in north germany and parts of france someone would say: "Don't do that, otherwise a sailor dies." Of course most people don't say that anymore unless they want to annoy the tourists.
    (Source, but I also heard the story from some old seafaring buddies of my father.)

Edit: That reminds me of another story of my father: Sailors used to have a piece of gold somewhere on them - e. g. an earring - that they would keep allways on them. Mostly they did this because if the sailor died in a foreign harbour whithout any friends or relatives nearby he would not get a grave and church service if he could not pay for it in some way.
    Last edited by Seonor; 2011-08-12 at 06:50 PM.
    I am looking for fanfiction of the Culture or other books in the same vein. Any Ideas? PM me or post here.

Preparing to overwrite "reality". Done.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    theres also a certain depth at which humans stop floating.
    Some people don't float even on the surface, it all depends on how much fat you're carrying relative to muscle.

But yes, for everyone else there is a depth where the pressure will shrink your body to the point that your density becomes heavier than water and down you go. The best strategy, as mentioned earlier, is to exhale slowly and follow the bubbles to the surface, but that is an insight that rarely comes naturally to drowning people.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And actors.

I've heard that knowing how to swim was considered unlucky for a sailor, because, apparently, that was tempting fate to throw you overboard.

Anyone else heard that one?
    Yes, yes I have. I think it develops from a little old magic (once in contact, always in contact) and the fact, as already mentioned, knowing how to swim doesn't help in nearly any situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worlok
    Makes sense. A match is a smaller fire than a candle and taking a big, drippy candle or oil lantern and using it to light another fire is a bigger risk. Drop a match, it often goes out. Drop a candle or, worse, lit oil lamp and you potentially have a much bigger fire on your hands. Of course, the danger is possibly exaggerated and mythologised, but, like not wanting woman or passengers on-board, there is a grain of sense to it.