New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

"That's right, we were to meet with Master Alendru Ghoroven. We missed our chance at noon, but I think just before dinner we should be able to catch him still," Kendra answers.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright. I hope we get more information, I feel like we don't have much time."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nodding at Kendra and Morcaine's assessment, Kaythek heads out of the dungeon, pausing at the door. "We should bring the wand, just incase. The Incense could be useful to us, but it'll be more useful to the priesthood here, since it can boost everyone's powers."

Heading up with the rest of the group, Kaythek continues. "Kendra, since you know more of Master Ghoroven than the rest of us, is there anything that he might be interested in as far as helping us?"
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

4. - Top - End - #694

"Well, he's known to sell arcane scrolls and some alchemical items of his own making, from time to time. I suppose we may also ask him to cast spells, if necessary. Shall we go meet him now ?"

5. - Top - End - #695

Kaythek considers her words carefully. "Sounds liek he's content to live a simple life, but I wonder..." Kathey mentions out loud. "Is he working on anything recently, like studies or a book? If so, and if he's interested, maybe we can talk him into 'funding' our forays into the prison in exchange for information and maybe an item or three from the place. If he's of mind for that, of course."
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara listens patiently for a long while then once others make a break in conversation talking, she proclaims, "we should go see Ghoroven tonight. Tomorrow morning, I am going to Harrowstone. We need to destroy Splatter Man and soon! I'd prefer not to go alone, but I will if need be!" In the halfling's voice there is limitless determination and not a hint of fear.

7. - Top - End - #697

Alendru Ghoroven is a tiny, frail, wizened old man whose very little remaining hair is disorganized in tufts here and there all around his scalp. He has a bit of a gruff demeanor, but greets the group amiably enough. The heroes, for their part, remember him as the caster of a few mage hand spells that came handy in the recent fire fight.

"Yes, of course, Muricar has been here, said the town could spend three hundred marks to help you... Let's see, I have these scrolls I penned last month. Also, a couple of wands I acquired over the years. And of course I have components for arcane spells, and some other interesting items. Why don't you take a look ?"

His shop, next to his lecture room, is as small as it is messy, and the air carries a jumble of smells which inexperienced noses would be at pains to identify.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemical items: All items from the "Special Substances and Items" list in both the Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide are available.

Scrolls (CL5): Protection from evil, magic missile, endure elements, anticipate peril, identify, illusion of calm, expeditious retreat, reduce person, protection from arraows, summon swarm, fire breath, aqueous orb, lightning bolt.

A wand of cat’s grace (13 charges) and a wand of slow (6 charges).

Briar's keen eye notices also an interesting-looking book, wide open on a desk at the back of the room.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar's large eyes quickly peruse Muricar's wares, sniffing occasionally at reagents, and sneezing once at what she smells.

Then her gaze falls upon the interesting book at the rear of the store, and she scurries over to it. Addressing the shopkeeper, she speaks, her voice coming fast and furious in her curiosity. "This book is unusual, stands out. Left open. Why? Results in disintegration of parchment. Spellbook for study? Possible. On display, hoping for purchase? Also possible. Have to ask..." She turns to face Muricar. "What is this?"
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine goes over to Briar and the book, looking to see what it is.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin peruses the wares, but finds little that he can use. "I believe I am adequately stocked from the temple. There is little I can use here regardless. Kendra, is there anything you would have?"

Seeing something catch Briar's interest, he strolls to the back as well.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine mutters a small prayer to Iomedae and for a moment her eyes glow brilliantly as she looks upon the book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine casts detect magic.

12. - Top - End - #702

Looking at the various odds and ends, Kaythek gazes at the various items. Looks interesting. Should come in handy, but I wonder if he's willing to trade notes and such.

"Seems well stocked here. What brought you out to Ravengro?"

Favorite Merc Maxims

13. - Top - End - #703

"Now, please, don't disturb things in my shop ! Some of these are quite fragile !"

Alendru grows a little agitated, but he responds to Briar and Kaythek in turn.

"This... This is a book I recently acquired. Its study is quite difficult, but I think it deals with the construction of an artificial construct, that can be used as a servant. Powerful arcane magic, that, very time-consuming, and costly. To me, it is more a matter of knowledge than anything I would consider practical."

"Why, I was born here. I always wanted to come back home in my later years, so I did. The children here, they are in sore need of education, let me tell you ! Bunch of lazybones, the lot of them. In my days, we would work hard every day and night until we got our lessons right !", he answers Kaythek, with a side glance at Kendra.

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar: The book is all arcane runes, it will take time and read magic to grasp the contents.

Morcaine: The book has a moderate aura of several arcane schools. You can try to determine them with 3 separate Knowledge(arcana) checks.
    necromancy and transmutation.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

"Briar, would you object to me having a look?" Morcaine says.

15. - Top - End - #705

Briar raises one of her purple eyebrows at Morcaine. "No objections, but not my book. Professional opinion: likelihood of danger low, and content fascinating. Sadly, accessibility of contents is likely unaccessible to me. However, conventions of property, ownership sadly have more weight on issue than my opinion. Ask Muricar."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemists can't cast read magic, so I'm out of luck. Gwynfrid, if you're feeling generous, you could let Briar identify the contents of the book as she would a potion (because the contents are alchemy-related).

16. - Top - End - #706

Morcaine and Briar see that the book is written in a combination of intricate arcane runes and complex diagrams that are mostly beyond their comprehension. All they can see is that the construct, if that's what it is, has a vaguely humanoid shape.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leviathan: The subject matter may or may not include alchemy. But since you can't read it, you don't know that.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine takes a look at the cover and the first page, wondering if maybe there's a title or something, or an author's name.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-03-21 at 02:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708

As soon as Morcaine opens the book to look at the apparently empty inside cover, something changes. A black sigil appears, slowly fading in to full view.

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-03-21 at 04:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

"Mister Ghoroven, did you notice this sigil before?"
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-03-21 at 07:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710

"Er... er... No, I never saw that !" The wizard is flustered, and not a little embarrassed by this sudden development.

"But the name is Ghoroven, if you don't mind me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Muricar is the councilman who was tasked to help you with supplies. Alendru Ghoroven is the resident teacher *** wizard you're now talking to.

21. - Top - End - #711

Briar blushes, her skin's shade something akin to that of a tomato. "Ah. Apologies. Head in other places. Confusion not intentional; also, not indicative of importance to town, world at large. Still," she finishes weakly, "both human. Not entirely dissimilar."

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops My mistake with the names. Also, the forum has a dirty mind, interpreting perfectly innocent latin as something other than that!

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

"Mister Ghoroven? Is there something about this book we should know?"

She thinks about the sigil as she looks at it. It obviously looked like letters, "MC." But who was MC? She thought it seemed familiar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+8)[22]

Also, edited my post to fix the name issue. Hard to keep all these Ustalavic names straight sometimes.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-03-21 at 07:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713

"Er... N... No... I have told you what I know."

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

"Then tell us what you don't know, but suspect. You seem tense."

She shows the book to the others.

"Anyone else recognize these initials? They seem familiar."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive check: (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-03-21 at 07:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715

"Nothing in particular... Why all these questions ?"

To Morcaine, he seems simply a little startled at her nosy questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    What the heck with censorship in this place ? That'll teach me about trying to use fancy words...

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the initials here made me a bit suspicious. Where'd you say you got this? Secondhand?"

27. - Top - End - #717

"Yes, that's what I said. But I thought you came here to find something to help Ravengro against the rising dead ? At least, that's what councillor Muricar told me. Was he right ?" You can see that the old man is increasingly annoyed by the inquisitor's curiosity, and that is making him suspicious in turn.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

"I just thought this MC seemed familiar."

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara can tell the shop is fancy. Her brother always liked fancy shops; but she would sooner wait outside alone than be stuck in a fancy shop. Fancy shops are always full of boring things that break too easily. She was about to go outside (recalling a nearby rock which might have some neat bugs under it) when Briar and Morcaine discussion of suspicious books and magic initials pulls her attention to the rear of the shop.

Tamara scurries over, careful not to break anything on the way, and examines the letters. She announces, "I've never seen them before!" For about a minute she stands by while Morcaine grills the shopkeeper before finally interjecting, "sorry, Mister Ghoroven! Of course we are here about the ghosts and stuff! Morcaine is just suspicious of everything. As long as you didn't hurt anyone to get the book, we don't care where you got it."

She then turns to Morcaine and reproaches her loudly, "why do you have to harass every nice person in this town? If he thought the origin of the book could be of any use to us, of course he'd just tell us about it! He's not stupid! He's a wizard; wizards are smart! He knows that everyone in this town, including him, could die if we fail. The book obviously isn't important for us, so just be nice to him!"

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

"It just seems like a book of powerful magic like this is a bit out of place in such a small town, Tamara. I'm an inquisitor, it's my job to ask questions."