New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Morcaine

"I will as well. It'd be useful to become more acquainted with Ravengro."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Largely disinterested in the discussions of finances, Tamara says, "I'll stay with Kendra... unless she is going, then I'll go too. I'll go where she goes." Tamara smiles wider than usual and adds, "should I put a kettle on the stove?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

“That would be lovely Tamara. Thank you.”

The rest of the night passes without a hitch. The town seems to have turned in to those who leave for the inn. There’s no late night mirth or music, just a cool, wet night trying to shake off the grip of winter. When the ones that do leave arrive at the Outward Inn, the proprietor, Sarianna Vai, has even turned in early. Waking her, however, is easy enough and she graciously accepts your payment for your stay.

Meanwhile Kendra gives the ones who stayed a quick tour of her home. It’s two story with a spacious foyer that has stairs leading up to the second floor where Kendra and Petros’ rooms are located as well as four guest bedrooms. The foyer also opens to the rest of the house with a kitchen, bathroom, the sitting room, with which you were all familiar, and three rooms that were mostly used for storage. With some help, Kendra is able to clear some space in the storage rooms and set up cots by the time the others return.

After you all turn in that night, sleep takes you easy enough. But even as you dream, something is decidedly wrong. It touches each of your sleeping minds for a moment, but something awful rolls through the dreamscape of Ravengro. Almost in unison the town shifts in the night before falling back into their proper sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Skip ahead we shall. Everyone make a will save and describe your dream to me. You all also lose one trust point as the growing sense of unease ripples through the town, undoing some of your hard work from the previous day.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[5](7)

Augustin slept soundly, until the dark nightmare crept into his mind. He was in his childhood home, his parents estate on the Virlych border. It was night, the dark full of screams of terror and cries for help.

Everything is in color, the color that only comes to his eyes in dreams.

It was the night that the estate was overrun, the night he received his gift. Everything went as it should, until the abominations came for him. When his eyes where struck, there was no holy symbol, there was no brilliant light to drive the evil away. There was only darkness and an evil, whispered laughter, the whisper somehow echoing through the house, bringing all the living to there needs.

He shoots up, suddenly awake, in a cold sweat. Once again the world was gray. It takes what feels like hours to remember where he was, to recognize that it was just a dream.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

After settling into one of the guest bedrooms, Morcaine undoes her armor and polishes it before preparing for bed. She says a few prayers, one to Iomedae to give her strength for the trials to come, one to Pharasma to protect Petros' soul on the way to Heaven, or wherever he was bound, and one to Grandmother Crow, the angel Andoletta, to console Kendra in her hour of need. After this, she climbs into bed and falls asleep.

When her eyes open next, she finds herself on a battlefield, surrounded by the din of war. The cries of soldiers, the clash of steel. Morcaine looks down and notices something. She's not wearing her parade armor, instead wearing tough and ready plate. Instead of the Sword of Valor, a different symbol adorns her shield, a blade pointing upwards, with wings for the hilt. She feels the aches of a soldier who's long known combat, and as she stands, she notices that her hair is much shorter. She doesn't have time to seek a mirror, as a soldier rushes towards her.

"General! Ma'am it's a miracle you survived! Come quickly! We have to retreat! The undead will overrun this position any moment!"

"We have a mission to complete! I will not rest until She is recovered!" Morcaine replies in a voice not her own, trying to figure out how she knew she had a mission and what it was.

"By Aroden, there's no way! You may be favored by him, but you're not immortal! She was, and he killed her!"

"She was my patron, our patron. I won't let him defile her any more than he already has!"

Pushing past the soldier, sword drawn, she strides back into the fray towards the enemy leader, her sword cleaving through hordes of undead, until she sees him. A towering skeleton filled with twisting, worm-like things that extended up its arms and out its mouth. A morgh, but not a morgh, something greater. It lets out an awful cry, and charges at her. The battle is fierce, but soon the creature has her pinned, one of its tendrils snaking down to her, carressing her face disgustingly. The smell makes her want to retch. Then it begins to move to her mouth. As the dream begins to fade, she hears a voice call out.

"GENERAL IOMEDAE!"

Then she wakes up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+3)[9]
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Carrying a rugged back pack on his should, Kaythek makes it back to the mansion and quickly grabs a cot in one of the storage areas. Preparing for bed is almost second nature, laying his sheathed falchion next to the wall by his head with his scale armor placed beside in a reasonable pile. Taking a quick bath, Kaythek goes to sleep, breeches being the only thing he is wearing.

Spoiler
    Show

Will save (1d20+3)[9]

THE DREAM

Spoiler
    Show

A harsh, cold wind blew into Kaythek's face, waking him.

Where am I, Kaythek thinks to himself as he looks around, before he looks down at his hands and naked body. Wait, I can see...everything. Looking at his hands, he looks up into the sky, dark clouds churning over head. The sky. I have not seen that in...so long. Where...what is this place?

Around him, a desolate wasteland stretched into the horizon, dominanted by mountains, a dark tower the only sign of civilization he saw. As he looks on, an accursed wail from behind him forces Kaythek to duck. Gazing up, a spectre flies by him, heading towards a circling formation. Is that a... are those...

As he took a step forward, Kaythek hears moaning from behind, a sound like the cries of the dead and dying. Or the undead, thought Kaythek as he turns around.

Behind him, marching between to gray hills, a band of undead and monstrous creatures, beings from nightmares that should not, or can not, exist. From ruined mouths and throats came a quiet chant, the beings in the caravan carrying an elaborate coffin.

Paying no heed to the half-orc, the carvan made it's way to the tower. Moments after it vanished into the distance, the wind howled again, as though in rage and pain unseen for ages. As he bent down to cover his naked body, Kaythek looks up, refusing to take his eyes off the far tower.

"I have risen again," roared a shadow growing from the tower. As Kaythek looks on, it grows bigger, into a vaguely shapped humanoid, crimson eyes pearing from what should be it's face. "Tremble in fear, for I shall claim this world and reforge it in my image."

Not while I have something to say about that! Baring his teeth, Kaythek screams with a primal scream as he lounges at the shadow. Hearing the challenge, the monstrous shadow brings it's hand down to smite the half-orc...

What the hell, was all Kaythek could think as he looked around, his eyes taking in the gray color of the storage room as he realized he was sittingup in the cot. What, what was that?

Breathing heavily, Kaythek looks around the room, then down at himself. Sweat poured from his body, covering it in a sheen. At least I still have my breeches on, Kaythek noted with a though.

Laying back down, Kaythek breathed deep as he concentrated. Few more hours, then I need to get up tomorrow will be a long day.

Deciding that he needs to settle his mind a bit, Kaythek reaches over and grabs on his flasks. Twisting the top off, Kaythek takes a drink of the water befor eputting it back. What was that all about?

(OOC: Unless it's too much trouble, Kaythek will be getting up about an hour before dawn. He does this more to get his exercing done, which is mostly just practicing with his falchion, and greet the sun and make his prayers to the Gods and Godesses.)
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wynette, given the opportunity, will bathe and wash her clothes before retiring for the night. Once asleep however, her dreams quickly turn fitful.

She has this dream on occasion- the dream where she is leading a battle in order to further the divine will of Iomedae. Only this time, instead of failing, instead of leading her soldier into a rout- her enemies fall before her, and her allies can barely keep at her side as her advance grows faster and more fervent in her zeal. She absolutely delights in the slaughter of battle.

And finally, she finds herself cut off- having advanced to far ahead, or her comrades all cut down. Surrounded by unspeaking monstrosities (in fact, the whole world goes silent when her blade stops slashing) and quickly overwhelmed and disarmed. Forced to her knees, she utters a prayer to Iomedae, begging for help and apologizing for failure.

And Iomedae, in all her terrible glory, descends from above and effortlessly sets to her captors. It's over in a matter of moments, and Wynette can do nothing but prostrate herself before her Lady. And she kneels, and waits, and waits- Iomedae's booted feet and clomping closer and closer, but Wynette can't bring herself to look upon her. Clomp. Clomp. Clomp.

And then nothing.

And then a sharp pain in her back, and as she opens her eyes and screams in agony
    (and in her sleep), she catches of glimpse of her- not a fair goddess, but a twisted and putrid mockery- ragged flesh hanging off her as white bone peeks out. And her laugh is terrible and inescapable as she stands over her dying body.

Wynette wakes up with tears freely flowing and gagging at her dream and the images she saw.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save! (1d20+4)[24]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

The gnome's gentle snores echo through her sleeping quarters, but they belie the nightmare contained within Briar's sleeping mind...

Briar is standing at a grey door, its handle just high enough for her to reach. To her back is complete darkness; the only light is dimly cast from around the door. Intrigued, the gnome reaches forwards, her small hands grasping the doorknob. It turns with a creak, and the door swings open.

All around now is a massive chamber, revealed as the door opens. Its walls are a dull blackened stone, hewn into bricks. They climb up into a bank of storm-clouds, reaching miles into the sky. Criss-crossing from wall to wall are hundreds - no, hundreds of thousands - of staircases, each without any adornment, and each made from the same uninteresting stone as the walls. Like the branches of some ancient, long-dead tree the stairs ascent the walls, and Briar knows that she must climb.

She sets her foot upon the first stair. Then the second. Then the third. Inexorably, for an eternity that takes but an instant, she climbs. The stairs are slick with moisture such that each movement is perilous. Below her is an inky blackness. Even the peril of death becomes monotony. The act of walking alone becomes a torment; they must all be climbed!

Briar begins to run. It must end, her panicked mind directs. The stairs rush by, and soon the gnome is above the storm-clouds, and racing upwards with the stars around her. Ahead, the stairs end: a lone staircase juts out into space, connected to nothing higher than itself. She must get there; then she would be free!

She is mere moments from the pinnacle. Three stairs. Two stairs. One. And then she is there. Briar lets out a triumphant cry, but nothing comes out of her mouth.

Around her, everything crumbles to ash. The stairs fall out from under her, disintegrating like the strange dominoes of tavern-sailors from bottom to top. Then Briar is falling, falling falling. Into blackness she plunges.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20-2)[-1]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara is rarely, if ever, cautious or concerned. She is certainly not dumb, but thoughts just never come racing through her mind as she tries to sleep. When she sleeps, she sleep soundly and completely. The journey to the land of sleep comes as quickly and normal for her as ever, but the visit...

Tamara's dream:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tamara smiles and takes a sip of the familiar brew as the Professor begins to tell her and Kendra about one of the her favorite adventures. Pausing but a moment, the kindly man tops off her cup. Listening to the story, she habitually raises the cup to her lips - a full second passes before she notes the difference. The brew is thicker, clotted and foul. She looks down at the reddish-black substance filling her glass. The taste of iron still on her lips. "Petros... is this... blood?"

"Of course it is. I'm dead now, remember?" he speaks calmly as if nothing is strange. ""How do you expect me to tell you stories if I don't subsist? How can one live without life fluid?" He raises his own cup of black, clotted blood to his lips and takes a sip. His skin slowly begins to rot before Tamara's eyes.

Concerned, she looked to Kendra for comfort - but her form is gray. Maggots crawl over her cold, lifeless flesh. "Kendra!" the halfling cries in horror, but Kendra does not move.

A large centipede crawls from Petros's mouth before he speaks, "don't worry about her, Tamara. It was bound to happen. After all, it was you protecting her. Have some more tea." He raises the pot again, as his slowly blackening skin begins to weep off of his brown, putrefying muscles underneath.

"No! This... this is all wrong! Petros, fight it!" Tamara cries out, tears welling in her eyes.

Petros grins shortly before his lips drop to the floor. "Fight what?" he asks calmly as his muscles rupture in several places releasing swarms of beetles. "You'll join me soon. You'll all join me soon." His eye pops from the socket and a dozen centipedes hurry out after it. He raises a skeletal hand and pushes the eye back into the socket. "Why do you think I've called you here at all?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Will: (1d20-1)[7] +2 if fear

Tamara wakes in a cold sweat. Out the window she sees the earliest tendrils of dawn creeping up the horizon. Grabbing her greatsword, she moves through the hall, sneaks into Kendra's room and gently places her hand on her skin. Once she confirms she is alive, Tamara spend the rest of the night sitting in front of the door to Kendra's room, clutching her blade and listening nervously for danger.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-25 at 12:30 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

Before going to bed, Ulric clears his garments from the mud and dust of the long road, and enjoys the luxury of a quick bath, grateful for Kendra's hospitality. He makes a thorough tour of the house with Kendra, checking every outside door and window, making sure everything is secured, especially the room where Petros' chest is kept.

His sleep is light, the sleep of a seasoned traveler to dangerous lands. Then the dream comes...

Ulric is with his old company again, exploring the long-forgotten keep in the heart of the lands of Vyrlich. Everything is exactly like in his memory, a memory he has never been able to erase from his mind. The same undead horrors attack. One by one, the Seven Lightbearers fall - gentle Elda, clever trickster Zoldilian, faithful and steady Korlan, and the others, all his friends of many years... Again, Ulric is the last one standing, again his sword impales the vampire in a desperate lunge, again, everything goes black.

But this time, Ulric does not wake up in pain, in the cave littered with his companions' bodies. Instead, he is utterly numb, there is no feeling whatsoever anywhere from his toes to the top of his head. He stands up, surrounded by the pale faces of his companions. "What happened ? Did we all make it ?" Hope fills his heart. "Yes", answers Elda, with her usual light, delightful smile and musical voice. "All of us", says Korlan. But just then, Ulric notices the small fangs in his friend's mouth. He sees the gaunt faces, the reddish eyes.

"You... You've all been..." He cries out, despair filling his voice, his tight throat unable to complete the sentence. "We're in this together, as always, pal", replies Zoldilian, in the mischievous smile Ulric knows so well.

"NO ! NO !"

In front of Ulric's horrified eyes, the faces of his old friends begin to dissolve. In their place, he sees new features forming - Morcaine's strange and lovely eyes, Augustin's wide scar, Briar's purple hair and constantly moving face, Tamara's great happy smile, Kaythek's strong stance and clouded eyes, Wynette's superb, fiery hair... and Kendra now enters the room through a door he had not noticed before.

"Did you have a good night ?"

Her smile is tentative, her eyes innocent. Ulric knows, with an awful certainty, that she is not one of them. She is one of the living.

And then the hunger strikes. The terrible, unquenchable hunger. For blood.

Ulric wakes up, drenched in sweat, his whole body shaking. He hesitantly gets up, knowing the night is over for him. Silently, he goes through the entire home, checking all the openings yet again.

On seeing Tamara in front of Kendra's door, he stops, and nods silently. He doesn't need to ask if the night was all right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-01-30 at 11:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

"...Father..." Kendra mumbles, just loud enough to hear out into the hall, "...didn't know... ...gods... ...can't breath... stooOOOP!!"

A moment after her cry ends her feet hit the floor and the sounds of rushing and panic ensue. Before either Ulric or Tamara can even react she throws the door open and rushes out into the hallway with a robe clutched around her trembling frame.

She stops short of barreling you two over as the realization that it was all a dream starts to dawn on her. She looks to both of you as her lips tremble uselessly and tears start to flow from her eyes.

"He was still... alive..." She manages as the sobs start to overtake her and she slides down the wall to the floor, her legs no longer able to support her, "He woke up screaming... Cursing... me..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stack and Leviathan, for the next day you take a -1 on all mind-affecting saves. Gwynfrid and Makleveh you get a +1 on those saves.
    Last edited by jjj54; 2011-08-25 at 08:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Kendra's screaming wakes Morcaine up. She puts on a robe and stumbles out, still groggy from the night before.

"Wha? What happened. You have nightmares too?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin rushes out in bedclothes to investigate the screams. Zombies Ghouls...no that was just a dream.

"So, I was not the only one with troubled sleep."
    He walks over to Kendra and puts his hand on her shoulder, attempting to comfort her silently.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

When Ulric came out, Tamara said nothing, but tried to listen through him for other motion in the house.

It isn't until Kendra charges out that she finally smiles again. Tamara drops her blade to the ground, then rushes over, throwing her arms around the young woman in a comforting embrace, "it's okay, Kendra. I had a nightmare about your father too." In a rare moment of social tact, Tamara neglects to mention Kendra's death within the dream. The horrible memory of the dream brings another tear to her eye, but the warmth of Kendra, who is now at eye level for the little halfling, brings the broad grin to her face. "Don't worry, I'll protect you!" Tamara says defiantly, "I will... and well!"
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-25 at 09:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Ulric's voice sounds sombre, but calm as he tries to project reassurance to the jarred young woman.

"Some dark force must have been over us this night, to cause these nightmares in us all. But they are just nightmares.

Yes, Miss Kendra, we are here to protect you, as we pledged. We will not fail you."

O Sarenrae, may my words sound more confident than I feel right now.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess the most appropriate skill for this is Diplomacy : (1d20+7)[22]

16. - Top - End - #166

Hearing Kendra's scream, Kaythek jumps out of the cot, grabbing his falchion beofre rushing out the door. Running up the stairs, Kaythek get close enough to the group to see them. "What's going on? I heard trouble," Kaythek asks, noting that Morcaine, Ulric, Tamarra, and Augustin were out as well, with Tamra hugging Kendra.

When Ulric starts talking about nightmare and dark forces, Kaythek puts the back side of his falchion on his shoulder. "That might be true, Ulric," Kaythek says, as he mulls. "But that doesn't mean we shouldn't take heed. It could just as well that we are being warned that evil is gathering strength for something that we can't ignore."

Turning his head from side to side, Kaythek looks out the window and notices the lightening of the outside. "Well, I don't know about you, but I need to get into my morning routine again. If you need me, I'll be outside."

With that, Kaythek turns and heads down the stairs, stopping at the bathroom first then heading out side. Once outside, Kaythek puts his falchion next to a post and stretches, easing the kinks of sleeping on a cot out his muscles. What was that all about, Mentor? Kaythek mind still remember his dream, not willing to believe it has happened again. So... vivid, so real. It was like I can see for once in my life. Could it be a warning?

Pushing the questions aside, Kaythek grabs his falchion. Maybe the gods and goddesses will have an answer, was all Kaythek could think as he starts in a guard position with blade being held in both hands at his left hip and point it so the tip cross over right shoulder. Thank you, Gods of Battle and Goddesses of War for seeing me through the night, prayed Kaythek, before twisting his tattooed body around and bring the blade in a low swing designed to disembowel an opponent and continuing his morning practices.

(OOC: Kaythek will be spending about an hour now getting practice in with Falchion. He uses it as time to think as well as pray, giving thanks to the Gods and Goddesses for strength and courage. Also, you'll see that his back has numerous tattoos, mostly of a swirling design with various symbols placed in different locations on his shoulders, sides and arms.)
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Outside: Before Kaythek can even get very far into his morning routine, the boy from the funeral yesterday, Pevrin Elkarid, barrels into view. Spotting the half-orc, he veers away from his intended course towards the door of the Lorrimor Place and comes to a stumbling halt in front of the tattooed oracle.

"Mister..." he pants, his face flushed red as he tries to get his message past gulps of air, "Need your friends... The Memorial... Blood everywhere..."

Inside: Offered the warm embrace of Tamara, Kendra catches her up in a vice-like grip as the sobs wracking her body begin to subside. Offered support from the only people she can rely on now, she finally stops. Wiping her eyes dry she gives Tamara a much less desperate squeeze rises back to her feet.

"You're right of course Ulric. You must all think me a fool for behaving in such a way... It's as if I'm a child all over again. But the dream was so terribly vivid..."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I had a vivid dream as well. I dreamed I was Iomedae at the Battle of Three Sorrows, except where she smote the King of the Ghouls and triumphed, I was beaten and about to be slain. It was disturbing. It's Ustalav, Kendra, nightmares are a fact of life."

19. - Top - End - #169

Kaythek brings the blade around as he hears footsteps from behind. What now, he thinks as he turns, noticing the tavern keeper's son standing before him, out of breath.

Hearing the kids, abrupt message, Kaythek nods. "Come on in, kid," Kaythek says as he turns and makes his way into the house. "Kendra will want to hear this."

Jogging to the door, Kaythek motions for the kid to follow. Heading up to his room, Kaythek yells out as he goes into it, grabing his falchion sheath, belt, shoes, and a tan shirt before heading back down. "Hey Kendra, guys and gals, the kid here says something has happen to the memorial. Blood everywhere."

While the rest get down stairs, Kaythek puts on his boots and belts his sheath before heading towards the door, putting on the shirt. "Ok kid, what happened?"

Favorite Merc Maxims

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"What?!" Morcaine exclaims when Kaythek announces the state of the monument. She rushes back to her room and begins buckling on her armor, finishing as she heads back down to Kaythek with Elkarid's boy.

21. - Top - End - #171

Ulric

"Believe me, Miss Kendra, I had a pretty vivid dream myself."

One I will not share the details of with you, child. It would make the day gloomy for both of us, and for what purpose ?

As he is trying to comfort Kendra, he is interrupted by Kaythek's and
    Pevrin's entrance. Seeing the alarm on his face, he says nothing, but just beckons the boy to speak.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-08-25 at 08:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

We all had dreams. I'll not trouble the others with mine. Not the first time my sleep was troubled by that not. Shan't be the last either, if I know anything.

When Kaythek goes out, Augustin wonders if he should not show greater devotion to his own physical training. His prayers finished the night before, he sits down to give Kendra company in her distress, then hears Kaythek come in, telling the foul news.

"Yes, please speak. Given recent revelations this could be a matter of grave concern."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Kendra, I had a nightmare too, one which made me sleep outside your door because I was worried about you. Don't be embarrassed! Dreams can be scary! Often a lot scarier than reality." Even though Kendra seems sufficiently comforted, Tamara hugs her hips again. This time, more for her own sake.

After Kaythek's entrance and the boy's explanation, Tamara says simply, "whoa, blood? On the memorial? That's crazy! Let's investigate!" Whatever terrors the dreams had inflicted on her seem to have passed. All that remains now is her smile and a bit too much enthusiasm.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

“Not like this Morcaine. I’ve never had a dream feel so real before…”

She’d say more, but Kaythek’s announcement and Pevrin’s arrival cut her off. Without much ado he bursts into his story.

“I was making my rounds of the posting poles, like I do every morning. After checking the one just north of Councilwoman Straelock's house I started towards the next one across the river. As I got to the bridge I happened to look over towards the Memorial, don’t know why… But the morning light caught it and it looked a lot glossier than normal, so I decided to check it out.”

“When I got there, I could see blood everywhere, like someone had a bucket of the stuff and just sloshed it everywhere. Well, I ran back to town as fast as I could and told Sherriff Caeller about it. Lucky for me he was up at the time, said he’d had a rough night and that this better not be a joke… But I made sure he was on his way before I came here. Most of you said you used to travel with the Proffessor, so I figured you might be able to help to, and that’s about it. So can you?”
    Last edited by jjj54; 2011-08-26 at 08:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Ulric

"Thank you, Pevrin. You are right, we certainly need to investigate. I'll get ready."

With that, Ulric goes straight to his room and starts donning his armor. It has been his normal routine for years, but this morning, the force of habit is reinforced by a looming sense of danger.

Who knows what other surprises this town has in store for us ?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

"I concur. Let us be prepared for this to be much more than a prank." Something if afoot. I'll not go unarmored this time.

Augustin also goes to don his chain, wasting no time but still ensuring the set of his tabard, belt, and morningstar are proper. Must keep-up appearances.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"Child, I am an inquisitor. If I can't find who did this, no one can!"

28. - Top - End - #178

Laughing at Morcaine's statement, Kaythek finishes getting his boot on, checks to make sure his sheath falchion was good and his spellcomponent pouch was secure. Might not care for leaving my armor, but we need to get over to that monument as soon as possible. Grabbing his shirt from the chair, Kaythek looks to 'Rin. "While the rest continue getting their gear on, can you guide me to where the monument is? The Sheriff might want some help to keep the peace there."

Favorite Merc Maxims

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wynette, having stayed in her quarters until she completely composed herself, barely made it into the room before listening to the account given.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this, I believe. Think!

She will (already fully armored, as she didn't bring a lot else to wear) make her way into the room and join the party as they set out to investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    So I don't know how you handle this stuff, but Wynette is going to make a religion check and see if this event is something she's read about before, or is consistent with something she knows.
    (1d20+4)[19]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

Dr. Zendlebiddle snorts derisively at Morcaine's comment. "Oh yes, I am very sure that you will find the perpetrator. If there is a perpetrator. Which has not been proven. Logical flaws abound - induction without evidence - and conclusions are drawn before facts are established! Typical religious mindset - omnipotence of the divine does not grant similar status to followers."

She sniffs, tugging her coat into position. "Shall we proceed? I at least am eager to establish the parameters of any possible investigation."